Juniebun Question about Abilify tablets

Juniebun

Hi!  I'm new here.  I have a question regarding Abilify tablets.  I just had to switch from liquid Abilify to the tablets because the liquid Abilify isn't being made anymore.  I was wondering if I can either let the tablets (I take 3 mg, so 1 and 1/2 tablets) dissolve in my mouth than swallow a glass of water or let the pills dissolve in the small amount of water and then drink the water?  Will this affect the effectiveness of the tablets?  My pharmacy told me not to chew the tablets because the pharmacist said that parts could get stuck in your teeth, you wouldn't always get the same dose, etc.  I don't like to swallow pills, even small ones, as it gives me major anxiety.  Comments?  Ideas?  Answers?  Thanks!

• Administrator

Welcome, Juniebun.

I moved your topic to the Introductions forum as your Intro topic, where you can keep track of your progress, like a journal.

Please see Tips for tapering off Abilify (aripiprazole)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Well, I let the Abilify tablets dissolve in my mouth vs. swallowing them whole.  I think that I feel okay vs. like I skipped a dose of Abilify.  Does anyone out there know anything about how this method of ingesting the pills will affect their effectiveness?  Thanks!  Boring topic, I know, but with my ocd, I'm obsessed with it.  Nice, huh?

Another topic I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on: Excessive diet soda consumption.  I can't stop drinking it in large amounts and I think it's interfering with my med.  Help?  Ideas?  Comments?

• Administrator

Diet soda is terrible for you, as you seem to know. Generally, we encourage healthy habits to get through the stress of withdrawal.

I guess allowing the tablet to dissolve in your mouth is okay. Most people wouldn't like the taste, I'm sure.

Tips for tapering off Abilify (aripiprazole) describes how to make a liquid. Do you have any questions about tapering?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Another topic I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on: Excessive diet soda consumption.  I can't stop drinking it in large amounts and I think it's interfering with my med.  Help?  Ideas?  Comments?

I used to drink at least one two-liter bottle of diet Mountain Dew a day. I read somewhere that artificial sweeteners can cause a whole host of maladies, so I replaced it with tea. I noticed a difference right away, nothing huge but noticeable.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Altostrata - I'm not tapering my Abilify, just switching from the liquid form to tablets - and I don't like swallowing pills...I'm pretty phobic about it...and yes, diet soda is bad for everybody, but I just can't seem to get off of it completely.  I think that it has to do with my ocd.

Silver star - Yeah, I drink that much Diet Dr. Pepper a day or more.  What type of differences did you notice when you changed your drink of choice to tea?  When I went off of diet soda in March, for a month, I felt great.  Clearer.  Happier.  More energy.  A definite difference.  I was even working out at one of our area's local gyms.

I just felt better overall. I've done lots of positive things lately for my mental health so it's hard to say what's doing what. It can't be good for me to put all that artificial sweetener in my body though.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato