Short term SSRI/SNRI users, did you feel better before or after tapering?

eiledon20

I've been on Pristiq for four months for depression.

Had adverse reactions to almost all SSRI/SNRI's or other psychiatric drugs. The side effects are intolerable. Nervousness, restlessness,muscle stiffness, pains. etc. I was given small dose .50mg clonazepam at bedtime to counter the side effects and for sleep...uugghhh!

I dont want to prolong my benzo use...So On the fifth month i started to taper pristiq AD. I must say i felt a little better than when i was on the full dosage.

The deep down in the hole depression lifted.

Has anoyone tapered after 5 or so months and felt better or did not relapse?

I just felt tired most days while on this antidepressant or and also while tapering.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

No short time users here?

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

Hello eiledon.

I am a short time user, I have gone throug 2 periods on prozac of 3 and 4 months, currently tappering my second one.

Unlike you, I was put on prozac more for anxiety than for depression, although I had also some depressive symptoms along with the anxiety.

Has anoyone tapered after 5 or so months and felt better or did not relapse?

I felt better for a while, but I relapsed into anxiety 3/4 months after stopping, with more symptoms this time... But everybody is different and you have been in a different drug and for a different reason.. so i dont know..

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

I was on Pristiq for about two months. I don't really remember why I came off but it must not have worked or I would have stayed on. I did the two week cross taper back to Lexapro without issues.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

Thank you

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Seems able to smile now than on my full dose. I met an acquaintanse around the block and was able to smile and chat for 10minutes. It's either the half dose is what i need or i need to get off this med.

My pdoc is weird. I ask him if i look better. He bounced back the question to me. Sh@#t!

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Thanks theon for the reply. Lucky you, you had prozac to taper off slowly. I remember 15 years ago i was able to quit cold turkey on prozac. Now i realized it was the longer half life that made it easier.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I would like to hear again from other short term users please....

Thanks

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eleidon, 

I'm a short term user too. I think I really had bad luck. I got horrendous withdrawals after 5 days of Venlafaxine, thought I could stop them with 1mg Sertraline tapered to 0 over 10 days. That made things even worse. I could kick myself now for touching the Sertraline. 

KT38 is another short term AD victim. You could look up her profile feed. 

I think it's pretty unpredictable what happens to people after short term AD use. Some are fine, others get horrendous symptoms. It's crazy. 

I hope you're well and not having too many symptoms. 

Cheers, 

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Laura. Im now two weeks off pristiq. Hope my neuronsngo back to normal. Whag i hate is the morning cortisol anxiety.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I think im fine except for the anxiety feeling in the morning. Specially today, i feel so lazy.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I think im fine except for the anxiety feeling in the morning. Specially today, i feel so lazy.

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

I know this probably sounds terrible in your situation, but if you only have the anxiety feeling and some demotivation, you may have been extremely lucky. 

There's some things you can do for the "waking in anxiety" situation: Wear a sleeping mask or shut all light out of the bedroom. 

Here's a thread about it: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/page-4?hl=cortisol#entry19567

I hope you feel better soon! 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Yeah ive read that and have dark thick curtains. I also have a face or eye cover.

Thanks laura

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Good! I hope it helps and you'll be well very soon. 

All the best! 

Thank you laura. I guess my curtain is not thick enough. Used an eye mask. Little improvement. I think the sunlight also penetrates our skin and raise cortisol?

5th month:

Then jump off pristiq.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy