Shimineu - 3 weeks off paxil

Shimineau

I was on Paxil for 9 years. 20 mg for the first 7 then bumped up to 40 until 5 weeks ago. I did wean myself of slowly but I have been off completely for 3 weeks. My side effects include ; irritability, hypersensitivity to sound, zaps, anxiety and most of all ANGER! I work in an environment where I sit in a chair next to 3+ people at any given time. My job does not keep me busy in the least bit... so there is not much I can do to keep my mind occupied. I had a close call with my anger 2 days ago. Someone said something to me and I just snapped. If someone didn't step in like they did I probably would have lost my job. I am concerned that someone may not be there next time and I will lose it again and I will be out of a job. Here is my question.... would it be wise to go on sick leave and take some time away? Sure money will be tight but better to have 70% of my salary then none at all if I lose it at work.

I am a 38 year old male. I have, up until 3 weeks ago, been on Paxil for a period of 9 consecutive years. The first seven years I was taking 20mg and the last two, 40mg. I recently weaned myself off of it in a short period of time. I went from 40mg to 20mg for 1 week then 20mg to 10 for another week. I didn't want to stop there so I then went down to 10mg for another week. Lastly 5mg for 5 days. Then stopped completely. Now, I am experiencing the following symptoms. In order of severity, ANGER, irritability, hypersensitivity to sound, zaps, crying spells, anxiety and really BIZARRE dreams.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shimineau ,  welcome to the site.

Three weeks off paxil and extremely angry . . . sounds like you're having withdrawal symptoms.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself ?    Have you considered reinstating a small dose to stop the withdrawal?

Glad you found your way here.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shimineau,

If I read you right you tapered from 40 mg over a two week period.  If that's correct, that is an extremely fast taper in our books.  We recommend dose reductions of 10% every 4 weeks or so.

Here are a couple of threads for you to read:

What is withdrawal - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

The rule of 3KIS - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Why taper at 10% - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

about reinstating to reduce withdrawals - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Can I also ask you to fill out your signature with a little bit of history.  Details on how to do that are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Once you have read some of these threads perhaps you can come back here and ask some questions - that's what your intro thread is for. Members have only one thread in the intro forum so you might like to bookmark this so you can come back to it

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Shimineu.      

Arranging for some leave from work sounds like a very sensible idea to me.    

Withdrawal is unpredictable and as you say , the last thing you need is to lose your job because you erupt.    

You need to decrease stimulation and keep things as calm and safe as possible while you figure this out.  It may take a few weeks to feel stable again even if you reinstate.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I was on Paxil for 9 years. 20 mg for the first 7 then bumped up to 40 until 5 weeks ago. I did wean myself of slowly but I have been off completely for 3 weeks. My side effects include ; irritability, hypersensitivity to sound, zaps, anxiety and most of all ANGER! I work in an environment where I sit in a chair next to 3+ people at any given time. My job does not keep me busy in the least bit... so there is not much I can do to keep my mind occupied. I had a close call with my anger 2 days ago. Someone said something to me and I just snapped. If someone didn't step in like they did I probably would have lost my job. I am concerned that someone may not be there next time and I will lose it again and I will be out of a job. Here is my question.... would it be wise to go on sick leave and take some time away? Sure money will be tight but better to have 70% of my salary then none at all if I lose it at work.

Definitely take some time off.  You tapered way too quickly - you should keep a close eye on your symptoms over the next couple of weeks.  I'd recommend reinstating at least 5 or 10mg and then slowly tapering from there. 

Some people who taper too quickly off of paxil can end up in a miserable place for many years.  Paxil is one of the top 3 or 4 most difficult of all the antidepressants to stop taking - there was a gigantic lawsuit in the late 1990s because of these symptoms.  Don't take this lightly!  

I would caution you to proceed very carefully and make wise decisions about whether or not you're going to reinstate your paxil or not.  I made a similar mistake as you're making, assuming things would be fine in a coupe of weeks after a rapid taper - but then a couple of weeks turned to months and months and months and months and then too much time had passed and I couldn't reinstate without adverse reactions. 

I don't want to scare you or anything, but some healthy fear is necessary.  You're showing all the signs of withdrawal and it would behoove you to get back onto a small dose of paxil and then taper 10% each month until it's all gone.   If the small dose doesn't make many of the symptoms go away, go a little higher.

40mg of paxil is a whooping dose and your taper is far too rapid.  I want to see you be OK.  This website is here to help - I'd recommend reading all the stickies and making a decision based on that information.

Let us know what happens.

I will NOT be reinstating. As long as I can keep busy I feel ok. I have a punching bag and a bike for exercise. I have many hobbies to keep me occupied and busy. Most of my withdrawal symptoms occur at work. That is why I am considering sick leave.

I am a 38 year old male. I have, up until 3 weeks ago, been on Paxil for a period of 9 consecutive years. The first seven years I was taking 20mg and the last two, 40mg. I recently weaned myself off of it in a short period of time. I went from 40mg to 20mg for 1 week then 20mg to 10 for another week. I didn't want to stop there so I then went down to 10mg for another week. Lastly 5mg for 5 days. Then stopped completely. Now, I am experiencing the following symptoms. In order of severity, ANGER, irritability, hypersensitivity to sound, zaps, crying spells, anxiety and really BIZARRE dreams.

• Administrator

Welcome, Shimineu.

Nobody wants to reinstate. If your withdrawal symptoms get worse, please reconsider.

Please let us know how you're doing as time goes on.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome Shimineau,

So you were on paxil for 9 years and did a one month taper. Tapering off 40 mg.

That is as good as a cold turkey.

I am so sorry you are in this most difficult position.

I admire your resolve to continue drug free. However wdl is delayed and you have not tapered safely. Wdl will rip jobs off people. You will not have enough sick leave to last several years.

My opinion is to reinstate back to 20- 30mg and hold till stable then do the 10% taper rec here.(even 10% may be too fast) Putting aside several years to do so.

I believe you are in this category:http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

...............................//........................

The dosage is always going to be a guess. Here are some factors that might influence the dosage of reinstatement:

• How the person quit the drug and how long he or she's been off it. If you've just cold-turkeyed 20mg Celexa a few days ago, you might reinstate at closer to your original dosage, such as 10mg. (It may not be necessary to go back to 20mg, standard dosages tend to be overly powerful.)

.................................//.................................................

You have opened yourself up to unimaginable suffering but it doesnt have to be this way. Whats going to happen is very predictable.

Please reconsider your game plan.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Where I work... people have been on sick leave for 4+ years. It's doable.

Yes, but there is sick and there is absolutely unliveable..

But whatever you do, you have support here.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

Believe me, even if you have sick leave, you won't want prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. You will not be able to do the things you can do now.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am seeing that the roughest part of this is that, no one REALLY understands the drug. As if I am over reacting! All I can do is stay as busy as I can and take it one day at a time.

I am noticing now, I am hungry more now. Is this normal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes , this is fine.  

It would also be considered normal if you get nausea  and stomach pains and find it really difficult to eat , so eat as much as you need to at the moment.

Your body needs all the nutrition it can get.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

Shimineau are you able to give us an update. Did you take leave ? Are you still working?

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Recovering paxil addict

Sorry for the delay but have been very busy. Here goes...... I have been getting the occasional zap here and there. My irritabilityhas diminished slightly as has my anger. I take kolonopin (1mg) when I feel the irritability coming on. I will say all it does is tones it down a little. I have a punching bag to take out frustrations out on. I have been staying as active as I can.... that helps. So along with these symptoms I also am going through the following....

I had an online affair and my wife found out (before I stopped paxil).

My wife wants a child and we have been trying for almost a year (with fertility treatments)

I also have a 50% chance of having Huntingtons Disease, which I am going to start the process of getting tested in the near future.

So having said all that... I feel I am not doing to bad. I know it is still early in the "game" , but I am determined to get through this.

I have started seeing a new therapist with my wife. Right now we are doing one on one sessions the the said therapist. We will, in time, see the therapist together.

That's where I am at now. I am typing on a phone so if you have any questions for me just let me know and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks for taking the time to update.

Glad to hear you are still ok.

Paxil wdl in and of itself is bad enough hope the other 'stuff ' can be sorted.

ssris are notorious for contributing to other stuff.

Recovering paxil addict

Oh... and I did NOT take leave from work. I am still working. Thank God!!!

Oh... and I did NOT take leave from work. I am still working. Thank God!!!

Thats tremendous.

Recovering paxil addict

• 4 months later...

Shimineau how  are u going these days.

Any update.

Recovering paxil addict

• 4 weeks later...

Shimineau it is now 5.5 months since you last posted are you able to give an update.

Recovering paxil addict

I'm doing this voice to text so pardon the punctuation or the lack thereof I have been doing okay I guess I don't have any zaps anymore so that's a good thing also for as long as I can remember when the winter months come around I usually get kind of blah anyways but being off the paxil I don't really notice much difference from being on it during the winter time or being on it the one thing I notice is that my irritability level is still very high irritates the hell out of me so I will add I have always been irritated by noises and I know there's a name for that I forget what it is but now that I'm off of Paxil it's even worse but really that's the worst thing so far that is happened is irritability so having said that really there's not much to update the way I feel basically I look at it as I no longer have a safety blanket is basically what paxil was so for the past 10 years when anything would start to bother me or whatever I guess it wouldn't bother me as much because paxil kind of numbs you to that but anyways as for the horror stories that I have read about coming off of Paxil they're not as bad as people say in my opinion in my experience maybe I didn't need it as much as I thought I did it was just something I was prescribed it take but I know I am diagnosed is being a depressed individual I know during the winter times I guess I have what they call is sad syndrome I do take klonopin still on occasion not on a daily basis and I do that too just take off some of the anxiety I'm a hyper person to begin with and sometimes at night now that I don't have my safety blanket aka paxil I tend to think about things when I'm trying to fall asleep so that would be another thing that being off the paxil has done.

So all in all heightened irritability some racing thoughts at night and hypersensitivity to sounds which really kind of sucks in my case because I'm already irritated by people chewing and that kind of sucks balls to say the least anyways sorry for the no punctuation and sorry it took me so long to make a reply I have been just really busy and trying to stay that way I guess that's a little selfish of me but I apologize have a good night

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update, S - we just like to know that people are still out there and doing ok :-)

I had to chuckle about the annoying chewing sounds, as I could relate!  Just wondering, have you tried any alternative techniques to deal with the tendencies that Paxil was a safety blanket for?  I can have flashes of anger/irritability that I think are neuro, but find awareness helps, in that when I catch myself, I can say to myself "there's that monster again" or some such.  

I really enjoy the teachings of Eckhart Tolle and if you have a chance to listen to these tracts, you might find it helpful in dealing with those pesky issues that lead us to take these drugs to begin with!

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10992-eckhart-tolle-the-pain-body-and-mental-suffering-during-withdrawal/

Cheers!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Thanks for taking the time to give us an update Shimineau.

Its good to hear you are doing ok and keeping busy.

Go well.

Recovering paxil addict

• 6 months later...

Any  update?

Are you still working?

Recovering paxil addict