Restoring Happiness in People with Depression

Phil

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/2691

Came across this while searching antidepressants. It says basically how AD's don't help many and how people neglect obvious ways of increasing happiness.

Although the paper found that positive activity interventions are effective in teaching individuals ways to increase their positive thinking, positive affect and positive behaviors, only two studies specifically tested these activities in individuals with mild depression.

In one of these studies, lasting improvements were found for six months. Effective PAIs used in the study included writing letters of gratitude, counting one’s blessings, practicing optimism, performing acts of kindness, meditating on positive feelings toward others, and using one’s signature strengths, all of which can be easily implemented into a daily routine at low cost.

People often underestimate the long-term impact of practicing brief, positive activities, Lyubomirsky said. For example, if a person gets 15 minutes of positive emotions from counting her blessings, she may muster the energy to attend the art class she’d long considered attending, and, while in class, might meet a friend who becomes a companion and confidant for years to come. In this way, even momentary positive feelings can build long-term social, psychological, intellectual, and physical skills and reserves.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/2691

Came across this while searching antidepressants. It says basically how AD's don't help many and how people neglect obvious ways of increasing happiness.

Although the paper found that positive activity interventions are effective in teaching individuals ways to increase their positive thinking, positive affect and positive behaviors, only two studies specifically tested these activities in individuals with mild depression.

In one of these studies, lasting improvements were found for six months. Effective PAIs used in the study included writing letters of gratitude, counting one’s blessings, practicing optimism, performing acts of kindness, meditating on positive feelings toward others, and using one’s signature strengths, all of which can be easily implemented into a daily routine at low cost.

People often underestimate the long-term impact of practicing brief, positive activities, Lyubomirsky said. For example, if a person gets 15 minutes of positive emotions from counting her blessings, she may muster the energy to attend the art class she’d long considered attending, and, while in class, might meet a friend who becomes a companion and confidant for years to come. In this way, even momentary positive feelings can build long-term social, psychological, intellectual, and physical skills and reserves.

What about letting people simply vent about their frustrations and say that life sucks?

For some reason, society seems to be threatened by negative thinking and I don't understand that. Interestingly, when I allowed myself to be negative as heck in my journal this morning, my problem solving ability increased.

Yeah, I know I am lucky in many ways but when I am feeling like depressed as heck for very good reasons, somehow that strategy falls short.

Sorry Phil, this isn't a rant against you. I am feeling cranky due to lack of sleep.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

No worries CS, I agree with you, acknowledging the negatives can be helpful. I don't believe in false positive thinking (which can become a pressure).

I think it's good to balance it with focusing on things we already enjoy though. Sometimes I ask myself, what do I really want to do, that would bring me a little happiness? It can be something as simple as going for coffee, or looking at a magazine.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

No worries CS, I agree with you, acknowledging the negatives can be helpful. I don't believe in false positive thinking (which can become a pressure).

I think it's good to balance it with focusing on things we already enjoy though. Sometimes I ask myself, what do I really want to do, that would bring me a little happiness? It can be something as simple as going for coffee, or looking at a magazine.

Great point Phil and that is something I need to do more of.

For some reason, I find that very hard to do so I have to try to focus more on this.

Thanks for the reminder.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

I did a three blessings exercise for about a year. I had a little notebook and wrote about three good things that happened during the night - why they were good. I did it right before I turned out the light.

I started right after I quit benzos and beta blocker which I took on top of ADs to keep my anxiety at bay.

I think it really changed something in my world view - permanently. Not a big change, but I think I look at my life and notice the nice things along the way more often. I am still a nervous, potentially sad person, but maybe I enjoy life a little more.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Moderator Emeritus

I also rant at will! Don't even get me started on the US gov't and the debt ceiling.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Administrator

"Practicing positive activities may serve as an effective, low-cost treatment for people suffering from depression, according to researchers at the University of California, Riverside and Duke University Medical Center."

This seems so obvious -- and something we forget to do, feeling pressured by our own expectations and the expectations of others.

Focus on small satisfactions and be as constructive as your condition allows -- this seems like real wisdom to me. Plus, it's being in the now instead of regretting the past or worrying about the future.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy