cyopher72 not sure what to do

cyopher72

I actually went off AD's 5/17/15 and had a few weeks of acute withdrawal then was fine for almost a month before all hell broke loose. So I've been off AD's for 8 months in post acute withdrawal for 7 months. I"m just concerned that my dizziness, plugged left ear, plugged left nostril, and my left eye feeling weird are something physically wrong. I dunno... this is exhausting.

AD History
Zoloft (Sertraline) 4/07 - 7/09, Celexa (Citalopram) 7/09 - 10/09 , Zoloft (Sertraline) 11/09 - 4/10 , Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) 5/10 - 4/15 , Effexor (venlafaxine) 5/15 (2 week taper)

Taper 
05/2015 - Effexor (venlafaxine) 75mg  7 days, Effexor (venlafaxine) 37.5mg 7 days.

Reinstatement  Effexor (venlafaxine)
05/21/2016 37.5mg 06/01/2016 18.75mg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyopher72

• Altostrata

• AliG

• Nomoreheadmeds

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a couple of months since I posted. Some things are better and some things aren't. My head still bothers me pretty much 24x7 sometimes better, sometimes worse but always present, My left eye is a little blurry off and on and over all my vision feels off. I rarely leave the house except for work because of how crappy the feeling in my head is. It just zaps all my motivation and makes me depressed. A week doesn't go by without thinking about trying AD again to see if I can end the misery. I would totally try it if I wasn't so scared of it doing just the opposite. I keep thinking if I just hold out a little longer it could be over but as the time keeps passing it's still not over. I'd really like to have a day with a clear head!

AD History
Zoloft (Sertraline) 4/07 - 7/09, Celexa (Citalopram) 7/09 - 10/09 , Zoloft (Sertraline) 11/09 - 4/10 , Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) 5/10 - 4/15 , Effexor (venlafaxine) 5/15 (2 week taper)

Taper 
05/2015 - Effexor (venlafaxine) 75mg  7 days, Effexor (venlafaxine) 37.5mg 7 days.

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple of months since I posted. Some things are better and some things aren't. My head still bothers me pretty much 24x7 sometimes better, sometimes worse but always present, My left eye is a little blurry off and on and over all my vision feels off. I rarely leave the house except for work because of how crappy the feeling in my head is. It just zaps all my motivation and makes me depressed. A week doesn't go by without thinking about trying AD again to see if I can end the misery. I would totally try it if I wasn't so scared of it doing just the opposite. I keep thinking if I just hold out a little longer it could be over but as the time keeps passing it's still not over. I'd really like to have a day with a clear head!

I understand completely where you're coming from. It's so danged frustrating. I keep wondering just how long it's going to take to get better. These withdrawals are like the Energizer Bunny. You can get a day with a clear head- but it's not enough, you want the days to never end.

I keep telling myself that someday the days of clear head and such will come. I don't know when.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bottle of 37.5mg venlafaxine hcl er. Today I came as close as I ever have to taking one. My hope would be that going back on them would get rid of the depression and clear my head up. I would then go on a slow taper to rid myself of the drug once and for all.

Fear stopped me, all sorts of thoughts are going thru my head. What if I take them and I feel better, but what if they make me crazy? Even if they make me feel better am I going to go through this all over again trying to get off them.

The hard part is that I do not feel like I am getting better any longer. Most of the physical symptoms have gone but the depression and foggy head is still there and don't appear to be getting better. It's been almost a year now, is it possible these are not going away without medication?

I really wish there was an easy answer.

AD History

Taper 

• 1 month later...

I don't seem to be making any more progress so I decided to try 37.5 Effexor again. Maybe I can get feeling better and the taper. This was a really tough decision but life just isn't enjoyable right now. I'm just about to take my third dose tonight. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it will be before I'll know if it's going to help? The first two doses have caused me some increased anxiety, insomnia, deeper depression, and racing thoughts. How long should I give it before giving up? This is really going to destroy any hop I had if it doesn't work.

AD History

Taper 

Cyopher.  When reinstating we recommend starting at a very low dose of perhaps 1 -2 mg. Your system is most likely sensitized, and taking this amount, after so long off, could give you an adverse reaction. It sounds like you've already had an upswing in symptoms.

After 8 months there is no guarantee that a reinstatement will be effective. However, everyone is individual in their reactions and you might find some relief.

Have you taken your third dose ? 

I will check in with the other mods to see what the consensus is on your next move.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cyopher,

I'm sorry you haven't yet recovered from your fast taper last year. Unfortunately, for some of us it can take quite a long time for the nervous system to repair itself. Attempting to reinstate after months of being drug free is always going to be risky, I tried it twice and had a very bad reaction both times.

As AliG noted, you may have tried a too high dose. Here is the link to our reinstatement topic which should answer your questions:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Please read through it carefully to help you decide where to go from here.

Specifically this part:

How long should you give reinstatement?

• It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

• After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.

• Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.

• Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

• The dose needed for effective reinstatement varies according to the individual.

When to discontinue reinstatement

If, upon reinstatement, you very soon feel worse, most likely you are sensitized to the drug and need to take a smaller dosage or, possibly, none at all.

• Sometimes reinstatement does not work. The nervous system has taken such a hard hit from withdrawal, it's destabilized beyond whatever effect the drug might have had.

• Sometimes reinstatement not only does not work, it causes an adverse reaction from a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal.

• If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

Please would you update your signature with the date you took your last dose last year and this reinstatement, let us know what you decide to do. If you decide to reduce your dose rather than stop completely, I suggest you try dropping down to around 3mg, but even this amount may be too much.

Its best to check in here first before making any large changes. I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your mid-April post, if I had seen it, I would have advised you against such a large reinstatement. Unfortunately we get very busy sometimes and its difficult to keep up with every post. If you have a question or need some support, please keep posting on your thread until someone is able to get to you.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Cyopher.  When reinstating we recommend starting at a very low dose of perhaps 1 -2 mg. Your system is most likely sensitized, and taking this amount, after so long off, could give you an adverse reaction. It sounds like you've already had an upswing in symptoms.

After 8 months there is no guarantee that a reinstatement will be effective. However, everyone is individual in their reactions and you might find some relief.

Have you taken your third dose ? 

I will check in with the other mods to see what the consensus is on your next move.

Ali

Hi Ali,

Thanks for your reply. I had to try because I was literally spending full days in bed. I did take the third dose last night. I was a little encouraged today when I woke not feeling all jittery. I am feeling a little wired, anxious, and my head is a bit wonky but I don't believe it has made anything worse from yesterday. I really need this to work. It's been almost a full year and this has completely broken me.

AD History

Taper 

Hi Cyopher,

I'm sorry you haven't yet recovered from your fast taper last year. Unfortunately, for some of us it can take quite a long time for the nervous system to repair itself. Attempting to reinstate after months of being drug free is always going to be risky, I tried it twice and had a very bad reaction both times.

As AliG noted, you may have tried a too high dose. Here is the link to our reinstatement topic which should answer your questions:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Please read through it carefully to help you decide where to go from here.

Specifically this part:

How long should you give reinstatement?

• It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

• After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.

• Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.

• Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

• The dose needed for effective reinstatement varies according to the individual.

When to discontinue reinstatement

If, upon reinstatement, you very soon feel worse, most likely you are sensitized to the drug and need to take a smaller dosage or, possibly, none at all.

• Sometimes reinstatement does not work. The nervous system has taken such a hard hit from withdrawal, it's destabilized beyond whatever effect the drug might have had.

• Sometimes reinstatement not only does not work, it causes an adverse reaction from a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal.

• If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

Please would you update your signature with the date you took your last dose last year and this reinstatement, let us know what you decide to do. If you decide to reduce your dose rather than stop completely, I suggest you try dropping down to around 3mg, but even this amount may be too much.

Its best to check in here first before making any large changes. I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your mid-April post, if I had seen it, I would have advised you against such a large reinstatement. Unfortunately we get very busy sometimes and its difficult to keep up with every post. If you have a question or need some support, please keep posting on your thread until someone is able to get to you.

Thank You. I've been having a really rough time primarily with depression, and my head feeling weird 24x7. I updated my signature, Other than trying liquid Prozac for a couple weeks back in September I've been off AD since 5/2015

AD History

Taper 

Cyopher.  As Petunia said, I wish you had checked in first , before taking such drastic action. Sometimes, posts can move on before anyone sees them. In the future, please keep asking until you have an answer.

However, for now please keep concise notes on your symptoms, and let's see how  you go over the next few days. It's encouraging that you're not feeling worse at this point.

Please stay in very close contact, checking in each day , so that we can evaluate where you are at and what measures to take.

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

This is not what we would normally advise, so it could be a case of just seeing how it goes, from hereon in.

I hope it goes well .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Cyopher.  As Petunia said, I wish you had checked in first , before taking such drastic action. Sometimes, posts can move on before anyone sees them. In the future, please keep asking until you have an answer.

However, for now please keep concise notes on your symptoms, and let's see how  you go over the next few days. It's encouraging that you're not feeling worse at this point.

Please stay in very close contact, checking in each day , so that we can evaluate where you are at and what measures to take.

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

This is not what we would normally advise, so it could be a case of just seeing how it goes, from hereon in.

I hope it goes well .

Ali

Provided things don't get worse how long to you think I should give it for things to get better? If things don't get better I'd like to stop just need some advice on how long to give it?

AD History

Taper 

• Administrator

Cyopher, do you have capsules with little beads inside?

If you continue to get racing thoughts, etc., you might want to count the beads and take half of them, which would be about 18.75mg, rather than 37.5mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Cyopher, do you have capsules with little beads inside?

If you continue to get racing thoughts, etc., you might want to count the beads and take half of them, which would be about 18.75mg, rather than 37.5mg.

I do have the capsules with the beads in them, Last night was capsule #4. I didn't sleep very well was awake every hour or two (previously I had been getting about 6 hours of sleep each night) I'm not having the racing thoughts but my mind is overly active and I feel caffeinated. This morning was a little rough getting out of bed but that's been pretty much the norm for a while. My head still doesn't feel normal but I believe it is a little better (hopefully not just a placebo effect). I'ts still really hard to tell if overall I'm better or not on the pills. I was hoping they might give me enough improvement to give me the motivation to get, and stay out of bed. Bed has been the only place I feel ok. I was thinking of give it a week or two and then stop if i didn't have noticeable improvement.

AD History

Taper 

Day 8 and I'm not seeing improvement over not taking anything. I'm thinking of giving it one more week then going back to nothing. Thoughts?

AD History

Taper 

Last night was pill 10 of 37.5mg Effexor. After the initial boost of anxiety, other than being a little wired I"m seeing no real difference to how i was feeling prior to starting. My plan is to discontinue after day 14 unless things change for the better.

AD History

Taper 

Cyopher. Alto suggested perhaps taking 18.75mg . What were your thoughts on that?  What symptoms are you experiencing now? Are you still anxious , jittery and spending full days in bed , like you were ? Are you still having the racing thoughts? Have any symptoms improved

Cyopher. Alto suggested perhaps taking 18.75mg . What were your thoughts on that?  What symptoms are you experiencing now? Are you still anxious , jittery and spending full days in bed , like you were ? Are you still having the racing thoughts? Have any symptoms improved

I feel pretty much the same as I did prior to trying this reinstatement other than I do feel a little jittery in the morning and am a little anxious sometime up until lunch which had been gone prior to the reinstatement. I still have a hard time getting up in the morning due to depression, and my head is foggy. So I guess I was a little better prior to the reinstatement. My thinking was that since it isn't making things better I'd better not go getting my body addicted to it again. Do you think two weeks is enough time to know?

AD History

Taper 

I will try taking 18.75mg to see if it make any difference I'm just nervous about trying to split it up. I don't have any larger gel caps but I'll try reusing the one they come in. I"ll try that starting tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

AD History

Taper 

Well........... Bead counting is a lot more difficult than it looks. My capsules are not the same. They have approximately 42 beads in each but the beads are not consistent size. The fist capsule I opened had 20 larger size beads and 4 smaller size beads I cant tell if the smaller ones were just larger ones that broke or not. other capsules had only 3 smaller beads. I tried my best to get half of each capsule. Took me an hour and a half just to make 14. I wonder if I should just buy a scale?

AD History

Taper 

Cyopher. How are you feeling now ?  Have your symptoms improved at all ?  You will find greater accuracy with a scale.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1461-counting-beads-in-a-capsule-versus-weighing/

Ali

Cyopher. How are you feeling now ?  Have your symptoms improved at all ?  You will find greater accuracy with a scale.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1461-counting-beads-in-a-capsule-versus-weighing/

Ali

I'm not feeling jittery anymore, sleeping a little better. Head is still quite foggy. Not sure its an improvement over taking nothing. I"m gonna have to try for a week or two to be sure.

AD History

Taper