Studies have shown lavender and jasmine are calming

GiaK

hello...sharing a post...may be helpful to someone.

Studies have shown lavendar and jasmine are calming

For original post and the pretty picture that go with it see here: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/05/05/lavendarjasmine/

MAY 5, 2012

There are so many gentle simple and healthy things we can do to help ourselves get through difficult times. If we put many of them together we find they may be enough to heal us. Aromatherapy is often considered to be “woo.” Below, though are two reports of studies that seem to indicate that these two scents are indeed, mildly psychoactive and calming.

So from Psychology Today:

…lavender’s impact on mood and cognition has garnered the most attention. A study by researchers at Charles Sturt University in Australia reviewed trials testing the outcomes of lavender aromatherapy. It seems there is mounting evidence that the essential oil does have physiological effects.

To measure the effects of aromatherapy, researchers compared responses with two essential oils thought to have opposite effects on alertness: soothing lavender and invigorating rosemary. One University of Miami study followed brain activity with an EEG machine, finding that the group subjected to lavender aromatherapy did in fact show brainwaves suggesting drowsiness, while the group subjected to rosemary experienced increased alertness. read rest here

Then from the Telegraph, about Jasmine:

The sweet smell of jasmine is as good as valium at calming the nerves with none of the side effects, according to new research. Laboratory tests found the fragrance and its chemical substitute dramatically calmed mice when their cage was filled with it, causing them to cease all activity and sit quietly in a corner.

When the air was breathed in the scent molecules went from the lungs into the blood and were then transmitted to the brain.

Brain scans showed the effect on a chemical called GABA on nerve cells was enhanced by the fragrances and helped soothe, relieve anxiety and promote rest. — Professor Hanns Hatt said the results published online in the Journal of Biological Chemistry can “be seen as evidence of a scientific basis for aromatherapy”. (read rest here)

And the same story from ScienceDaily here: Intoxicating Fragrance: Jasmine as Valium Substitute

Note: for anyone in benzo withdrawal illness be careful with aromatherapy. Some of us become very sensitive to various chemicals as well as scents and if Jasmine is, indeed, involved with the GABA receptors then those of us with Benzo damage could react badly. A lot of people with benzo illness can’t take any sort of supplement that engages GABA receptors without an extreme reaction. The time to take advantage of these wonderful natural scents and remedies is BEFORE one has been damaged by drugs…in order that one might NEVER be damaged by drugs. See: Multiple Drug Sensitivity (which also effects many in other psych medication withdrawal too)

A nice way to use an essential oil of your choice: Need to relax? Here’s one wonderful way

For more information on Benzodiazepines and why you might want to avoid their use see here: Benzo Info

____

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Great info, as always, Gia!

I've used aromatherapy for many years, starting with horses. I've worked with gaited horses and relaxation is essential. One case stands out in my mind: someone was trying a Tennessee Walker to buy. Horse was tense, not flowing in stride, making it a rough ride (should be smooth). I pulled out my lavender and gave him a whiff. He immediately relaxed in demeanor and muscles. I was amazed!

Each horse is different, as are humans, in what we respond to. I like the energizing effects of citrus or mandarin. Haven't tried jasmine, but love the real flowers!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Ummmmm, the smell of horses....

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ummmmm, the smell of horses....

I'm cracking up laughing.... :D:D:D

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been reading everything I can find about herbal medicine and one of the books or articles I read recently commented that lavender contains a mild opiate. I've always loved the fragrance and was very disappointed when Yardley's Lavender Cologne smelled altogether different on my skin.

I also have a recipe for a lavender cordial that is quite good. Surpisingly, lavender has a mild anise taste - after being soaked in a fifth of vodka and a cup of sugar syrup for a month, anyway.

Haven't come across anything about horses and their by-products yet....

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks for the article!

I have been using lavender oil for several months now and I can't say if it is helping me to sleep, but I am sleeping well. Just a blob on a tissue next to my bed. I've had one batch of lavender oil that smelled so bad, though, that I had to toss it. No idea if it was a differend kind or if it was off, but I couldn't stand it.

I have also been using a burner (the kind with water in the top and a candle below that) and mixing various recipes that I've found online. My favourite one at the moment is 2 drops of bergamot, 2 drops of frankincence (original recipe said 1 drop of this) and 2 drops of clary sage. It is supposed to help anxiety/depression. It smells wonderful.

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

And I will pick up some jasmine oil next time I'm out! Sounds worth a try to me next time I get a panic.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

• Administrator

I'm allergic to lavender oil but I'm going to grow lavender in the backyard. It will be beautiful if it's full of lavender. We've got jasmine back there, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

This is great info GiaK! I love Lavender too. Years ago I tried smoking it when I was trying to quit smoking tobacco. I don't recommend that. lol

One incense that really helps my nerves is Frankincense. I think I brought this up before, but worth saying again. I notice much calmness in my nerves when I burn it.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I'm allergic to lavender oil but I'm going to grow lavender in the backyard. It will be beautiful if it's full of lavender. We've got jasmine back there, too.

I have some fertilizer for ya!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I bought some lavender plants last year and they're going gangbusters. They haven't flowered yet, but even the leaves have that lovely smell and they look very good all by themselves. Herbs can usually be grown just about everywhere with no special care.

• Administrator

Great, Barb, just back your horse up to my garden!

I took lavendar cuttings from my mom's plant last year and I've got about 10 plants coming along now. I love lavendar. I wasn't going to have jasmine in the garden because I think it can go a bit wild here, but I'll check that out. If it can be kept a bit tame I'll put some outside my bedroom window!

I bought some jasmine oil today and it is about 2.5% dilute in jojoba oil. It is a pretty powerful scent at that dilution and it was the same kind of price as pure oils of other kinds. I assume it is so strong/expensive an oil that they dilute it? Does anyone know?

This is interesting, it seems that it isn't referring to what I know as jasmine, rather a kind of gardenia. That's better in my garden. :)

Bubbles,

I've never looked at jasmine, but some pure oils are much more expensive than others. I believe it is Chamomile that's ~ $30 for the small bottle. Lavendar and orange are usually $10 or less. I assume price is based on availability.

Maybe i'll go park in an orange grove tomorrow and breathe! I've always loved the smell of orange blossoms.

• Administrator

bubbles, lavender will grow from cuttings? Hmmm, I can borrow some from my neighbors.

Yes, our jasmine sends suckers out all over the yard. I have to tear them out or they'll twine all over the roses.

Alto, I've had mixed results with lavender. I took dozens of cuttings, and put them in 2 large pots. In one pot I tried the honey-as-a-rooting-medium thing, and they all died. In the other pot I just stuck them in. About 2/3 of them struck roots and I've not got about 10 that look great. I tried from a different kind of bush a few months later, and zero success. I would probably try a purchased rooting hormone (or willow water if you have access to willow) another time.

• Administrator

Thanks for the tips. I got some seed but would rather start with plants that have shown they're adapted to the climate here. I'll steal -- oops, I mean borrow -- some cuttings.

• 2 years later...

I tried both. Jasmine made me feel weird and have nausea, but lavender was okay. Though I will try again with a diffuser to see how it goes.

But the thing that is worrying me is your caution about avoiding stuff that influences the GABA receptors directly (for those of us with benzo damage). I mean I can testify that it is an issue. I reacted badly to some strong GABA agonists like taurine, theanine. But I am not sure about these weaker ones. Should I avoid them even if they seem to help a bit with anxiety? Because some of them indeed seem to help (like Lemon Balm and Camomille too)

I also found a very long thread somewhere that actually warns people in benzo withdrawal from staying away from these things because they may further down-regulate the receptors. This issue is very important to me because now I stay away from some of these things just because of that thread, even though I wish I could use them because they seem to help a bit. 

I did start a thread in the benzo section about this issue but nobody seemed to reply so far :( http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8146-prolonged-benzo-withdrawal-discussion/

I would be very thankful if somebody would look into this issue too...

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy