SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

Happy New Year , NZ. You bring something special to S A. We are lucky to have you here. Thank You. Wishing you the best  - love and light and healing !   :)

Thanks for the kind words AliG.

All the best to you to. 

You are an awesome moderator.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

And yet Prozac worked for me for a long time. Worked for my financial advisor for decades too, until it recently pooped out for him. Don't know what to say

Thanks for popping in to comment in my intro thread lawyerliz.

Have you ever heard of medication spellbinding. It has the ability to fool many. Glad you had  a pleasant experience for many people its the gateway to more and more drugs and a never ending revolving door to the doctors clinic with escalating erroneous labels, drug cocktails and iatrogenic harm.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

It should be right around midnight there, so HAPPY NEW YEAR.  I hope 2017 beings you continued great improvements.  Now pop a cork and go celebrate all the great things that are happening for you. 

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks Brass.

Wow just noticed your view counter has amassed an amazing 22,341 views.

To compete with this i'm planning to put a new link in my drug sig. titled 'How to remove wdl symptoms within 10 minutes' !! lol.

I bought a car once and a friend suggested the odometer had been tapered with and wound back!

Moderator, inside contacts, engineering skills, suspicious view counter surges, fluent in Trump friendly languages, ...  hmmm rhymes with gluten.

Go well,  safe travels.

Looking forward to when you go drug free and following those amazing travel logs.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

post-2406-0-66773100-1483452247.png

Putting this here for my own education

above is a 1ml syringe and a 10ml syringe.

Used for tapering using liquid.

Recovering paxil addict

And saving two quotes  here

Difficulty in stopping psychiatric drugs can lead misinformed or unscrupulous health professionals to tell patients that they need to take their drugs for the rest of their lives when they really need to taper and withdraw from them in a careful manner.   Breggin 2014.

Psychiatrists are being forced to face the evidence that SSRI withdrawal symptoms are indeed long lasting and damaging to physical and mental health. SSRI Withdrawal Effects Are Brutal and Long Lasting. Citizens Commission on Human Rights of Florida (CCHR Florida) 2015.

Recovering paxil addict

• 5 weeks later...

hqdefault.jpg

Recovering paxil addict

Taken from one of my threads that has now been deleted and vapourized, the self destruct button was pushed (thats ok i'll get over it),

"A bit of a tangent here, but I want to thank you from depths of my soul for your taper chart. It has helped me a great deal. " Plucky pony.

You are welcome pp. Glad it was of some help.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• 6 months later...

Hi Nz11,                                                                                                                                  Hi,  how are you these days? Have you fully recovered from the withdrawal?  Please share.                                                 

remeron for four and half months. 15 mg for 3 months and 4 days and 7.5 mg for 27 days. After a month later of experiencing withdrawal  , restarted taking remeron again at 15 my for 2 days, 7.5 mg for 1 day and 6 mg for 7 days.

Hi Kara, i must confess i now feel a bit embarrased when my intro gets bought out of the backblocks.

At the end of this month i will be 7 years drug free...i usually do my update annually so like the release of a good movie you will just have to wait to release date but thank you for asking.

Here's the trailer ......just recently i was contacted by a person also an ex-paxil addict ....not a member of this board though but living locally who is now 8 yrs drug free they told me they couldnt believe how much improvement they were noticing recently and so glad to be drug free...we exchanged notes.

Stay strong

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Recovering paxil addict

Here is a post I found posted by KB  quoting MammaP...(having trouble/seem unable to  transfer a quote box to another thread...ugh!!)

I wanted to save this before it disappeared into the black hole of posts never to be found again.

This posted list by MammaP is  spot on accurate (yet not exhaustive ) of what wdl is like.....it bought back memories....what a horror story.....I feel like id like to send a copy of this to a family member....

I'm adding one two three   ok four more extra that suddenly came to mind that I experienced but I don't think they are unique to myself:

a. He/she might express  uncontrollable obsessive psychological and emotional distress in respect of recalled past failures, indiscretions, shortcomings, sins real and imagined....and the result is a desire to want to talk to anyone and everyone who will listen about it.              

b. A horrifying realization that your sexuality is draining away and you are helpless to stop it (The onset of PSSD).  The further terrorizing realization that you are now going to have to come to terms with an obscenely wrong  new normal.

c. The (even if uncharacteristic) desire to prolifically use profanity in speech. The guarding, filtering and guiding voice of a moral compass suddenly silenced and lost in many areas.  

d. An overwhelming  desire to hang oneself, cut ones wrists, shoot oneself, jump of a bridge or cliff or motorway overbridge, jump in front of traffic, drive ones vehicle into oncoming traffic. An inability to see tree branches and kitchen utensils, or garage implements ( heaven help anyone with access to guns...thank God I never had one or had access to one) in a normal way or for a normal use.                                                

...........................//......................................here it is.................

What you might see if your friend or family member has a severe adverse reaction when trying to stop taking SSRI/SNRI antidepressants…

1.Your loved one begins to feel sick. Physical symptoms such as flu-like aches, dizziness, nightmares, heart palpitations, headaches, brain zaps, etc. appear. Depending on the half-life of the specific drug, this can occur even within a day or two.

2.He/she might express shame and embarrassment or anger for having ever taken the drug. They might talk about feeling like “a druggie.”

3.Anxiety and confusion set in along with an inability to focus. Your loved one starts to act and look a little lost or muddled. They might worry that they’re “crazy.” They worry they’re going to hurt you by making you “go through this” with them. You can see an inability to connect thought patterns or thoughts with emotions as the abstract thinking process is compromised.

4.Their dreams become more vivid and often disturbing if they’re able to sleep at all. Insomnia can get brutal at this point.

5.Aggression, irritability, homicidal and suicidal thoughts and actions can pop out of nowhere – and you’ll be stunned. Personality and attitude changes become very apparent to you because you’ve been close with this person, but co-workers or casual friends might not see anything wrong.

6.Gaps in memory begin – very often memories that were formed while taking the SSRI or during withdrawal are the ones that seem to go. You might bring up the movie you saw with this person the day before and be told you've gone out of your mind! Emotions reappear in sudden, intense bursts and rollercoaster the person between uncontrollable crying fits and anger. You might seem them sob for hours then turn and want to rip someone’s head off. Preferably whoever prescribed the SSRI in the first place. ;-)

7.Your loved one suddenly feels the need to make big decisions, life-altering changes, keep moving - this symptom is called akathisia. The “fight or flight” mechanism has completely malfunctioned.

8.The person feels depersonalized and disconnected from him/herself or reality. You might hear he/she "feels nothing" as emotional responses are flattened. They might say they feel like they’re “floating outside” their heads. They usually still have an awareness of something wrong at this point.

9.Your loved one might eliminate input from those nearest (including you), often stressing independence and competency to an unreasonable, paranoid level. He or she now appears selfish and arrogant a lot of the time.

10.Manic and psychotic episodes can come and go at random intervals, triggered in part due to severe insomnia. Perceptions of people, timeframes and events can become skewed and completely inaccurate.

11.The person’s connection to the consequences of his or her own actions is severed. Conscience and compassion disappear. That awareness of "something wrong" may disappear, too.

12.The person vilifies and pushes away the people they care for the most, almost always including a spouse or significant other first. The person in withdrawal might start to believe they never loved their partner, shifts blame to them for events that may or may not have happened, or fails to recall positive, defining events in the relationship. Duration or quality of the relationship seems to have little bearing on this response.

13.Autistic responses kick in, meaning physical contact and affection become repugnant.

14.Your formerly calm loved one can display unusual impulsive behaviors such as promiscuity, impulsive spending, drinking – even if they never did these things before. The five senses shift into overdrive.

15.The "going back in time" phenomenon appears. The person reverts to anything "ex," grasping mentally and emotionally to people or things they were attached to prior to their first dose of the antidepressant.

16.Waves of rebound depression, anxiety, etc. hit. If a health care provider is unaware that withdrawal symptoms mimic bi-polar disorder and other mental illnesses, a new diagnosis can result in further medication, trapping the person in an endless cycle of psychotropic drugs.

17.Physical symptoms subside gradually. The person often doesn’t have a full awareness, sometimes for months or even years at this point, that many of their behaviors and decisions are a continued result of withdrawal. They believe their thoughts, memories, feelings and actions are absolutely correct, and no one can tell them otherwise.

18.People begin to experience "good days" or "good weeks" only to have a bad episode hit weeks later out of the blue. Sudden downswings in emotions have been repeatedly noted at the six- and nine-month marks following the last dose. This, too, shall pass.

19.At 1-3 years out, folks are reporting sudden intense neurological twitches and muscles spasms. Very scary, but they seem to self-correct.

20.Final Note: Every brain is chemically individual. The severity, order of symptoms and duration of withdrawal vary from person to person. Some experience a handful of symptoms. Others experience every symptom imaginable. Others experience very few or almost none. Cold turkey or abrupt withdrawal drastically increases these symptoms.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, nz11 said:

(having trouble/seem unable to  transfer a quote box to another thread...ugh!!)

To transfer a quote from one topic to another I quote the post where it is is then click in the reply box and Ctrl + A then Ctrl + X, go to the reply box where you want it to be placed, click in that reply box and Ctrl + V.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks cc, that's what I normally do but on this occasion it didn't seem to work.

Recovering paxil addict

• 4 weeks later...

Planning to have my wisdom teeth out does anyone think that the intravenous sedation drugs; (dont know the name of it yet )  might effect a recovering ssri addict?

Maybe a local anesthetic is safer.

Anyone else done this recently

nz11

i never could spell anesthetic

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh I've just had a dental intervention and it caused me to feel very bad. Only local anesthetic was used. I'm due for the root canal procedure next week and must say I'm totally scared.

There is (of course) a thread on dental work here. They suggest some types of anesthetic which is less problematic (without epinephrine that is adrenalin if I remember it correctly).

I must prepare well!

Wishing you the best of luck.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks for expediating a  reply bubble. Sorry you felt really bad after the anesthetic.

yes im a bit concerned regarding the drugs...i asked if i can do it without anesthetic and they sounded a bit shocked in their reply and said no! i guess when you gotta take drugs ya just gotta take drugs else end up sore in the mouth...as well as in the pocket!!

Wishing you all the best with your dental work.

I'll check that link out.

nz11

I asked siri if she had ever been to the dentist and she replied only when i had bluetooth!

Recovering paxil addict

okay the intravenous sedation drug is midazolam(hypnove)

any moderators or research squirrels esteemed members or just normal people like myself know anything about this? 

from the consent form:

"Intravenous Sedation is a technique using a drug called Hypnove (midazolam) to relax and sedate you. It allows treatment to go very smoothly and without anxiety for you. You will feel quite sleepy and the time passes very quickly. You will be vaguely aware that you are having your teeth attended to as well as very relaxed and comfortable. You will not have a clear memory of the time you are sedated. Some people cannot remember going home. "

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Wiki says: it is of the benzodiazepine class and works through the GABA neurotransmitter.[3]

I think it would be good to transfer this discussion under the thread I posted. It will be very useful for people who find themselves in a similar situation.

Thanks bubble you just bet me ..i was having  a read of wiki..

i was going to say with a name like that its probably a benzo...and sure enough...look what i found.

"Midazolam is a short-acting benzodiazepine in adults with an elimination half-life of 1.5-2.5 hours"

Damn it!!

Well i'm going to have to practice what i preach cos if there is anyone on here that says refuse the benzo its me....i cant risk it.

I'm going to have to take the local anesthetic instead. 

There is just no way in the world i will open myself up for that...after all i have been through.

Recovering paxil addict

It's a tough call NZ.  Unless it's actual oral surgery with cutting out the bone and such to remove them I think the IV is a bit over the top.  I think people have developed such a fear of dentists over the years that the dentists are over reacting and knocking people out when not necessary.  For an ordinary extraction a strong local should do the trick.  DON"T TRY IT with out any meds it moves the pain to a whole new level.  Been close to there and done that. I had a number of fillings (9) with out numbing years ago and still remember each one of them.  I'm looking at having a molar removed pretty soon and fully understand.  Unfortunately, when it comes to pain control the body only has so many types of receptors that will work and they are affected by benzos and opioids.  Not a lot of choice.

Hope it all goes well.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, nz11 said:

Well i'm going to have to practice what i preach cos if there is anyone on here that says refuse the benzo its me....i cant risk it.

I'm going to have to take the local anesthetic instead. 

There is just no way in the world i will open myself up for that...after all i have been through.

Given your stance, NZ, I can't say I blame you but the odds that you would have a problem with a one-time dose of a benzo with no prior history of issues with the GABA receptors are pretty low.  My guess is that you would be fine but I certainly understand if you don't want to rely on my guesses!  I agree with Tom, however, that you need something when you get the wisdom teeth out (makes me worry because you provide a TON of wisdom on the board).  Lidocaine or other local anesthetics can be tricky as well.  The other alternative is very strong antihistamine use and that can be a problem in and of itself.  There are no really good answers for a highly sensitized CNS is the challenge.

If you pay the fare I'm happy to fly over with a bullet for you to bite on!

Best,

Andy 

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your contributions Andy and Brass. I'm following the discussion closely since I had a short dental intervention with a local anesthetic (I was hoping for the best so didn't come prepared and I don't know what it was). The next day I had a horrible headache for half of the day and then got slammed by cortisol in such amounts that it reminded me of acute WD. 5 days after the intervention I seem to be getting even worse. Unfortunately the 'real thing' is yet to come for me because I have the root canal thing scheduled in a week and I'm totally scared. I read on our thread on the top to request a local anesthetic without epinephrine (adrenaline) and carbocaine instead of novocaine  (I hope it will mean something to my dentist because it doesn't mean much to me).

I really hope and believe that won't be nz's case but had I known what was to follow I would've taken all the precaution I could. I still remember how Pokeshaw ended in a very brutal and quite long wave after the root canal work. As far as I remember she also didn't ask what local anesthetic was used.

I'm very close to just asking for the bullet and I wish I had money to fly Andy over to hold one for me :)

• Moderator Emeritus

NZ and Bubble, I'm sending healing vibes to both of you. So far during withdrawal, I've had to have a crown replaced (luckily, no root canal) and several fillings replaced because I was grinding my teeth and they fell out. Even with a night guard, I did some major damage during my rapid tapers and cold turkeys. 

Just in case, please also ask ahead of time about any possible antibiotics they may recommend so you can research those, as well. The fluoroquinolone antibiotics are dangerous and, if possible, should be avoided, especially for those who are going through benzo withdrawal, such as Bubble (Benzodiazepine tolerance, dependency, and withdrawal syndromes and interactions with fluoroquinolone antimicrobials). But NZ, even though you've never been on benzos, I would still research these, as well. Just to be safe. 

For all dental procedures during withdrawal, I've used carbocaine instead of Novocaine - as Bubble states, carbocaine doesn't have epinephrine. Carbocaine wears off sooner, so it may have to be administered more often.  I had that crown replaced during the acute phase of benzo withdrawal and I had zero problems with the carbocaine (and I'm someone who can't even tolerate sugar without trembling). The carbocaine handled the pain quite well. 

Anyways, just wanted to stop by with some lived experience and post support and encouragement. I hope this info is helpful and you both do well with your dental procedures. 

Thanks guys for the excellent feedback

Brassmonkey -yes I agree with you lets just remember all our parents had many teeth extractions with no IV. Always appreciative of your input.

Andy -yeah I hear what you are saying. And I'm sure you are right. Recently had a knee injury ....trying to catch up on lost sporting hours, so far its kept me off court for 3 months now...the doc handed me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory. I looked at it and saw the word naproxen....then I recalled NSAID then I said I don't want this and he was a bit taken back and said ok then give me the prescription back and he promptly tore it up. I'm glad I never took it. I'm sure I'm healing just as fast without it.  Others don't have the IV so I wont either.

Bubble - sounds like you and I will both be in the dentist chair at the same time. Just got off the phone the booking confirmed for next Friday- just injection no IV. Have to take omixicylin (?) for 5 days. Wishing for a smoother dental experience this time for you bubble.   

later...

Shep- thanks for popping in to comment. I'm feeling very honored having 4 amazing mods posting. Is omxicylin one of the dangerous ones? (spelling is wrong I know)

Recovering paxil addict

57 minutes ago, apace41 said:

I agree with Tom, however, that you need something when you get the wisdom teeth out (makes me worry because you provide a TON of wisdom on the board). 

lmao

Excellent Andy

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, nz11 said:

Have to take omixicylin (?) for 5 days.

Amoxicillin is a relatively lower strength antibiotic that has a fairly low side-effect profile.  It's a good choice for something like this in my layman's view.  LOL.

Here is a profile:

https://www.drugs.com/amoxicillin.html

I used to get that frequently when I had strep throat as a kid (back when nobody knew about the microbiome).  My recollection is that it had a tendency to give me the "runs" but that was about it.

Good luck, NZ.  You will be fine.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

I'm a big fan of keflex for antibiotics.

All of the root channels I've had the "pleasure" of having were done under "local" with no problems.  I know you wouldn't, but don't even consider having a root channel with out drugs.  Done correctly a root channel is no worse that getting a filling.  My last one was done by a RC specialist.  45 minutes, in and out, hardly felt a thing.  Sore for a few days after but that was all.  Watch out for the spiral thinking leading up to the big day.

Thanks for that info Andy. I'm very appreciative. And thanks for the  encouragement.

Thanks Brass for putting my mind at ease. Thanks also for sharing  (and I'm sure bubble is appreciative to)  your experience on this. oh boy that spiral thinking.....

Note to myself use this as my CBT :

6 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

45 minutes, in and out, hardly felt a thing.  Sore for a few days after but that was all. 

Its on Friday the 13th..........oh no why did they book me for that  day!!

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, nz11 said:

Its on Friday the 13th..........oh no why did they book me for that  day!!

Mine too!

My dentist asked me if I minded it and I said no :)

I think my additional anxiety spike might have been caused by a yoga class I took two days before: it was not really for beginners and there were lot of pranayama breathing exercises, especially the breath of fire so maybe I was barking up the wrong tree... although the horrible headache and anxiety for 2 days after the procedure were definitely related...

We will make it nz!  

Are either of your booked with Dr. Jason?

12 hours ago, bubble said:

Mine too!

!!!!!! :o...thats spooky!...well I guess spooky things do happen on Friday 13th....

Recovering paxil addict

2 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Are either of your booked with Dr. Jason?

Thankfully i'm not !..

Recovering paxil addict

Beware the Tooth Fairy.

On 10/5/2017 at 0:57 PM, brassmonkey said:

5 minutes, in and out, hardly felt a thing.  Sore for a few days after but that was all. 

This

Well i just want to thank BM for this most helpful piece of CBT weaponry it worked a treat even on Friday the 13th !!

Thankyou Brass

A sincere thankyou to Shep Andy and bubble for your encouragement.

I did not have the iv sedation and was so glad the injection in itself was more than enough.

Sadly one wisdom tooth was severely decayed and it has spread into the tooth in front  the surgeon said it is serious so i will have to go back  for another visit later in the week to find out the extent of it. Sounds like i should have had these teeth out years ago. I cant understand why my regular dentist didnt pick this up and i had been having regular yearly visits and x-rays.

The most painful thing is opening the packet of antibiotics and seeing the GSK brand name ....and yet  i have no choice but to swallow this, as the nurse said they had someone recently who didnt and ended up in hospital with the socket badly infected.

Well im off to find a new ice pack .....later....

nz11

Recovering paxil addict