Increased sensitivity to emotional content: TV, news, movies, music, conversations

coldturkmama

One strange sensation or feeling I have been getting during my c/t paxil withdrawal just started a few weeks ago. If there is something disturbing on the news or my mom is telling something upsetting, etc it feels like my brain just cannot process it, like I'm going to be overwhelmed etc, anyone know what I mean? For example I used to love watching dateline or 48 hours but now can't.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CTM , do you think you should add this to your other thread?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yup & I did right after I realized but then didn't know how to delete this?? lol 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is actually a good topic, many people find they can no longer watch their favorite TV show, violent movies or tolerate being around certain kinds of people.  In withdrawal, our nervous system can become hyper-sensitive to any kind of stimulation, including our own emotions.

I can't watch TV and have to be careful what movies I watch.  I remember in early withdrawal, trying to listen to 'The Hobbit' as an audiobook, even that was too much for me, I could handle it now though.

What emotionally arousing activities do others have to avoid?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I have to avoid some TV but also some music if it's sad or has distressing lyrics

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

One strange sensation or feeling I have been getting during my c/t paxil withdrawal just started a few weeks ago. If there is something disturbing on the news or my mom is telling something upsetting, etc it feels like my brain just cannot process it, like I'm going to be overwhelmed etc, anyone know what I mean? For example I used to love watching dateline or 48 hours but now can't.

I totally get this. Its very odd. I find I am the same with stress - it's kind of like it is stuck in my head and there is no release. I can't watch the news or anything disturbing because I can't cope with it.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

This is actually a good topic, many people find they can no longer watch their favorite TV show, violent movies or tolerate being around certain kinds of people. In withdrawal, our nervous system can become hyper-sensitive to any kind of stimulation, including our own emotions.

I can't watch TV and have to be careful what movies I watch. I remember in early withdrawal, trying to listen to 'The Hobbit' as an audiobook, even that was too much for me, I could handle it now though.

What emotionally arousing activities do others have to avoid?

Don't you watch any TV? I have to be careful but most of the time nothing interests me anyway...stinking apathy! Never have the TV on when I'm on my own, it scares me!!!

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

In a bad wave cannot stand noise..can't stand anything..in less bad times..still have like a grief reaction when listening to the radio, tv or just engaging in normal life as I no longer feel part of it. Songs which come on the radio which remind me of the past, good or bad are triggers.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

This a good topic and one which I was thinking about the other day. I find that during wd I lose my interest in watching TV. I also can't deal with the violence or news during this time.

Sunflower

1998-2010. Zoloft 100 mgs.

3/2010. Switched to generic Z and began not to feel well.

7/2010. Estrogen patch added which caused severe depression.

8/2010 to 10/2010. Zoloft increased from 100 mgs to 200 mgs., Klonopin .25 mgs in am; .50 mgs pm; Remeron

.25 mgs. added by new doc

1/2011. Began tapering K; last dose of K 7/2011.

11/2011 Began Remeron taper; last dose of R 1/2012 (Tapered K & R by dry cutting)

1/2013 Began tapering Z from 200 mgs to 100 mgs by dry cutting

3/2013. Experiencing wd sx...took break

9/2013. Down to 150 mgs.

2/2014 - Present. 100 mgs Z

1-21-15. Began dry cutting 100 mgs.

It like a grief reaction isn't it! I heard our wedding song playing earlier and I would usually get all soppy and cry. I cried - but I was crying because I had no emotional response to it no matter how hard I tried. This is the worst for me and it makes me feel that everything I was born with and everything I have lived through has been took away...vanished! So bloody sad.

Severe adverse reaction

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Yes xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Driving is becoming problematic for me too. I had to go out today as I haven't been able to do much this past week and ended up in an argument with some random lady over a parking space. I have developed terrible road rage and can't handle busy roads - too stimulating. I have also just received a letter stating my recent 'driving through a red light' incident is being dealt with through the courts.

I don't think I'm safe to be driving - I'm either going to end up dead or spending some time in prison if I'm not careful. Never had any of these issues before.

Severe adverse reaction

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I totally relate to this.  As a former literature and film student and prof, I often engaged with thematically dense, emotional, and often disturbing—as art is wont to be—content, which I can no longer handle.  If something isn't as lighthearted as "Saved by the Bell," I can't seem to handle it anymore.  Additionally, my enjoyment of reading creative fiction has dissipated.  Non-fiction mainly appeals to me now, when I used to derive SUCH pleasure from creative fiction.

I will need to retrain myself to enjoy it, because I will be d***** if I lose my skill of literary analysis, which is literally what I built my whole career on. 

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't watch TV and have to be careful what movies I watch.

Don't you watch any TV?

No, every few months I try, but so far, I've found myself feeling worse each time.  I can sometimes find a nature show or documentary which interests me for a while, but then I will get upset by the commercials because I see them as nothing but manipulation playing on our fears and desires, making us buy things we don't need, and can't afford, adding to the growing problems on this planet.  I get worried and angry.

Then there are the news headlines, or news previews, making sure we remain in a constant state of anxiety and apprehension about whatever bad stuff is currently being reported as 'the news'.

I've tried watching cartoons, but then I start thinking about the messages and values being programmed into children today and it makes me shudder to imagine what kind of future for our planet this is creating.  I can't seem to mindlessly watch TV any more, I'm seeing too much now, and most of it is disturbing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Reading here it really hits me how severe my sensitivities were in the worst part of withdrawal.

I couldn't listen to any music at all except one CD of spiritual music and live accoustic music.

I could only tolerate three TV shows, two older ones and one recent one that is filmed outdoors.  The rest were either too violent, too disturbing, too bright, had too many abrupt volume changes, too many rapidly changing screens, didn't hold my interest or the messages/content I found to be too manipulative.  I couldn't tolerate commercials either.  I wasn't really into TV before this as I had issues with the messages a lot of TV puts out but this was on a whole different level, just catching a glimpse of an even slightly disturbing show was enough to make me very, very upset for quite a while (read like days.)  It was horrendous how bad it was. 

Oddly though the two older shows could be a bit violent and I had no trouble with them. 

I also had a lot of difficulty with books.  This was for a bunch of different reasons, part of it had to do with difficulty concentrating, and a really severe inabililty to focus my eyes.  However, the content of so many books became so disturbing that even if I was able to concentrate I couldn't handle them.  I also couldn't connect at all to some books--fiction was a big problem, I still don't understand why.  I did force myself to read some more upsetting non-fiction, I used to read a lot and I was really quite devastated not to be able to do this, so I pushed myself regardless of how I felt with some books i really wanted to read.  But overall there were only a very few that were not upsetting--books about nature and a book about the true story of a psychologist who lived in various parts of the world including with a really interesting tribe of people in Malaysia.  Some books on spirituality also were okay too. 

I also couldn't tolerate news really at all though online I did read about political issues sometimes or stuff to do with mental health of course.  Even before withdrawal I really disliked the news so this has just made it worse, much of it is so, so manipulative and so fear-provoking that quite honestly if I could never hear the news again I'd be so thrilled.  When you think about what the world was like before mass media and then compare it to now, the number of utterly awful stories we hear (or stories that are played up to be awful that might not even be that bad) is so far in excess of what we would have heard before that I can't help but wonder what kind of emotional impact this is having on people. 

Since recovering partly I now can watch pretty well any TV show if I want to but I still won't watch the news. 

I can listen to music now too, though I am realizing I still have to be a bit careful as if the lyrics to a song are meaningful to me in some way they can sometimes provoke emotional responses that are still a bit too over the top.  Nothing like before, but still I can't afford to divert myself from being in a better mood because I heard one song (which is something that happened to me recently, I foolishly looked up an old song and then spent the rest of my night feeling awful because of the memories it provoked.) 

Reading is a bit of a different issue.  This one bothers me, I can now usually tolerate the content of a book, but I either can't connect that well to it or the remaining cog issues get in my way (they are improved over where they were though.)  The odd book is too upsetting too if it deals with something to do with drugs.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in the worst of It I specifically remember, for example, getting overly emotional about King Kong (the original) falling from the Empire State Building. This kind of thing eventually stops.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Moderator Emeritus

I had to stop watching anything with violence. I used to watch cop shows like CSI before tapering and it didn't affect me, I didn't have much emotion but since emotion came back I can't watch anything remotely violent or loud. I can't have music on, even my favourite has to go off after a few minutes. I can't stand arguments and get upset  if I see or hear arguments. I believe this is as much because of my past traumas though and not just withdrawal but the noise part is withdrawal I think. It isn't a problem really and I don't think about it much because I can control it with the remote! 

I can't drive when in a wave, I just can't cope with the traffic and almost jumped a red light, it didn't register until I was past it but realised when I was over the line and the light behind me. felt a real numpty sitting there in the box you aren't supposed to be in! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Lol mammap loads of people sit in that box x

I've definitely noticed this. Any remotely sad song lyrics or emotionally charged tv shows make me cry, which is embarrassing more than distressing. Even happy things can sometimes be upsetting, because it makes me feel jealous and left out. Physical violence on tv or in books becomes very upsetting, but even more so any form of psychological intimidation, mind games, bullying. These bring up feelings which are overwhelming and extremely distressing, as if it is happening to me personally. I normally love crime shows and books, but have to cut all of that out and just read/watch fairly bland material until I feel less fragile.

Ive been going through this for the last three months. I cant watch horror movies, which are my favorite, scenes in movies or games with blood or guts really mess with me, even being at a butcher like for instance say a head of something behind the counter. Also, talk or news of suicide or mental illness really effects me in a negative way. It gives me anxiety and the thought of "will i end up this way?" Causes even more hopelessness and anxiety. What a mess.

Put on Paxil 20mg for anxiety in 1998. Crapped out fall of 2005. Taken off cold turkey by my Dr.Put on Effexor xr 150mg within a week. Crapped out summer 2012.  Dosage was upped to 225mg.  Symptoms worsened.  Quit smoking and started a slow taper at 10% every 4-5 weeks or so.  At around 25mg started developing ocd like symptoms(intrusive thoughts mainly)Slowed taper down.  Symptoms remain.  Got down to 2mg and quit the Effexor.  I was fine for a few weeks and was hit with a wall of symptoms. (I had started tapering my benzo at this point not knowing I shoulda waited much longer) I then hit with a wall of WD symptoms.  Debilitated.  Reinstated December 30th, 10 beads.  Felt really messed up.  Dropped to 5 beads.  Remaining until stable.

Started Klonopin 1mg once a day during my taper. Summer 2014. (At this time I was at 25mg Effexor) Dropped to .75mg of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wd symptoms worsened. Klonopin is back to 0.5mg twice daily. Waited for a month and made the mistake of starting a slow taper(what I thought was slow) at 6.25 percent for one week but had insane nightmares. It was too early to try and taper.  I went back to .5mg twice daily but seem to be having interdose wd. Symptoms are Sleep disturbances, depression and weird chest pains. Working my way to .25 mg spread evenly 4 times a day. Gonna stabilize and start a taper after 6 months er so.

i have to avoid even Facebook because sometimes someone just posts one of those things that are violent, or beyond sad, or threatening, or disappointing. WTH. A nervous system that is not able to deal with the world of today and yesterday (the historical stuff is all negative too in my book). sigh. I won't even complain about what has upset me yesterday in Facebook, because it would upset everybody here too. I am defo not going back there.

Lexapro for 6 years.

Stopped September 2013.

details:

10 mg - jan 2007- sep 2009. 2 month taper = CT aug.-sep.2009. HUGE crush nov. 2009.

5 mg dec 2009. 10 mg 2010

My first real taper from 10 mh to 3 mg - all 2011. november 2011 - crush. back to 10 mg till may 2012.

My second taper taper from 10 to 0 mg jun 2012 - sep 2013.

nov 2013 - crush. I think my crush is because i have jumped from 1 mg lex to 0 in sep 2013.

Lex is a very powerful drug. NEVER jump from 1 mg to 0. TAPER IT IN TENTHS OF MG, PLEASE.

I had 10 months of SEVERE withdrawal. moderate to mild now. better ! Not taking any drugs now.

• 5 years later...

Titled:  Reading materials and TV

hey yall. i wanted to come on with a piece of advice. i know when sonething awful is happening to you we instantly want to go to the internet and that is just fne. however in wd our brains are sponges and are looking to hold on to any reason this could be happening. this opens us up to a world of hurt as much as a world of knowledge. please guard yourself against articles about violence and stories of tragedy. your sweet little brain does not need it. positive videos and funny stories only. nothing overly sad bc in this state even finding dory can make you sad. i did all the wrong things in this regard amd i am paying for it. please guard yourself and fill your head with good things. 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged with similiar topic

2020, October the 2nd

(in this members words)

Off the offending meds now for 1.5 years

Zoloft, Lexapro, then a whole ton of drugs i was destroyed by in hospitals

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks prairie. (and edited in, moved to similar topic, @prairierose)

I'm thinking we might have a topic somewhere here, in Symptoms and Self care too.........about recommended movies, t.v., etc. that we could add your post to. 

I need to run now though, but will look when I return.

(and still looking for the topic, with members suggests around stuff that they don't find triggering)

Yes, fill our heads with good things!  ❤️

Edited by manymoretodays
none, @ for move/merge notification, additional

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you, I make the same mistake. It would be nice to have a thread with recommendations for things to watch and read that are "safe" for the sensitive people in withdrawal. Although ideally we should avoid information overload even when it is positive material.. Hard to find the balance between soothing ourselves (by distracting from withdrawal symptoms) and triggering more symptoms caused by excessive screen time.

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Reading materials and TV
  • Moderator Emeritus

And okay, I'm working on finding the threads with the members' recommends, or what they have found to be safe items, to watch and read for those sensitized in WD.

So far, just this find.

Movie squirrels

( FYI: need to be signed in to go to Off-topic posts)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to Increased sensitivity to emotional content: TV, news, movies, music, conversations
  • 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in with the general theme of this thread.  I like to keep the entertainment pretty mellow.  If there's going to be violence or unpleasantness, simulated or not, it can stay outside the house for the most part.  I noticed this while I was on steady doses of risperidone and olanzapine, and it's heightened in withdrawal.

Same with music, but once in a while when frustrated or angry at things, old school punk rock can really cut to the core of the social issues and tell it how it is.  I find that a really good way to let it out.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Moderator Emeritus

I like to put the narrator's voice from "Call the Midwife" into my thought narrative sometimes.

I think it might be Vanessa Redgrave, not sure.......a really calming voice. 

(I think that there IS a members list of what works for them, watching, or listening to, in Off Topic......still looking for it, from time to time)

Yes, once in awhile......some of that slam poetry works for me, hayduke, or milder punk rock too.

• 2 months later...

Hi mmt,

Have you had any luck finding that thread?

I am having difficulty with finding positive emotions and would like to watch or read funny or positive things with no violence in them. I watch some stand up comedy and impractical jokers to laugh, but could do with some recommendations. 

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

Here's another video in same vein as movie squirrels...videos for cats are soothing for sensitized nervous system humans too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxOTwu3Tuk

The man who made the above video also makes some which are just scenes from England, they're lovely too.  Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2T90KeQG4A

I find these sorts of videos soothing too, this video is old songs playing in another room with rain and thunder in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WhUkxMKhrI

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 9 months later...

I am emotionally overwhelmed by everything. It scares me and takes away all my energy. Anyone find it hard to leave the house?

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy