Coopergirl1 off Lexapro, with emotional anesthesia

Coopergirl1

Thank you so much Chessiecat. I have read it and still suffering. I know that Im not a bad person but I just feel so horrible. Is it possible to have normal thoughts and intrusive thoughts during w.d? Its so hard for me to seperate the 2, like im constantly wondering whats me and whats intrusive caused by w.d..anyone have any advice? Brassmonkey?

Started Prozac 20 MG March 2014-Sept 2014

New doctor switched me to Lexapro 10 MG and it helped from Sept 2014-Feb 2015 and then I felt the Lexapro wasn't helping as much so he changed the dose to 20 MG and I took that from Feb 2015-July 2015 when I decided to get off pills completely.I had to reinstate as I was feeling so bad and very pressured to go back on pills. My Dr put me on 50 MG zoloft and I took it for about a week..made me feel brain dead. Went down to 25 before I really learned the trouble of fast tapering..finally got a jewelry scale to properly weigh out my pills. Looking to just feel OK. Unsure where to go next.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coopergirl1

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Theon

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Coopergirl - intrusive thoughts are a withdrawal symptom.

Change the channel - dealing with cognitive symptoms

What did you think of the video PurpleStars posted in post 208 of your intro?

Brassmonkey (a moderator here) talks about another technique:

One very effective technique to use is referred to as AAF. Acknowledge, Accept, Float. 

First the situation/symptoms need to be Acknowledged.  Through no fault of your own you are now very sick and there are going to be a lot of very unpleasant symptoms to deal with, and like any major illness getting better will now be your primary focus.  Mentally explore the situation, feelings or lack there of, symptoms etc. and get to know them.

Secondly you have to truly accept that is happening.  The symptoms and feeling or lack there of are going to happen no matter what you say about it, there is nothing you can do about them or the situation.

Lastly, let the symptoms and unpleasantness float off as you go on about your life as best as you can, believing that it will get better in time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Coppergirl--  Intrusive thoughts are the pits, like an earworm (those repetitive bits of a bad song that just won't stop) they get into your brain and just won't go away. These drugs have a bad habit of digging deep into your past and calling up all the bad s*** that ever happened putting a worse spin on it and bombarding your with it for hours on end.  They also can cause you to think things you'd never dream of let alone consider doing.  If I'd told anyone some of the things I use to think while in WD they'd have me committed, locked in a deep dark cell and never released.  But they were only thoughts triggered by some nasty drugs, not things I would do IRL.

Dredging up those thoughts are a way of testing your core values.  They cause you to face and think about what you truly believe. They also cause you to reexamine past trauma in the worst possible light and pt it behind you for good. It's all part of the recovery process.  The AAF technique that Scally mentioned above really works with practice, also the technique of changing the channel (there's a good link around here some place). As you get lower in dose and as you practice these techniques and others the intrusive thoughts will decrease and become very controllable.

Brass 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

You guys are the VERY best. Without you I would be much worse off. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

New doctor switched me to Lexapro 10 MG and it helped from Sept 2014-Feb 2015 and then I felt the Lexapro wasn't helping as much so he changed the dose to 20 MG and I took that from Feb 2015-July 2015 when I decided to get off pills completely.I had to reinstate as I was feeling so bad and very pressured to go back on pills. My Dr put me on 50 MG zoloft and I took it for about a week..made me feel brain dead. Went down to 25 before I really learned the trouble of fast tapering..finally got a jewelry scale to properly weigh out my pills. Looking to just feel OK. Unsure where to go next.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Question for you. Does/can withdrawal dig up things you have done as a child and make you feel horrible? I have never really thought of my past as bad but now I am. I really hope to get through this and make peace with myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, sorry to bother. Quick question. Does anyone know if Lexapro can decrease dopamine? I hope so..this would explain a lot to me. Thank you

Both drugs are among the most selective of the SSRI class. They don’t have significant affinity for muscarinic, dopaminergic or norepinephrine receptors.

In addition to SERT inhibition, citalopram is a mild antagonist at histamine 1 receptors. Escitalopram is also a SERT inhibitor, but doesn’t block histamine 1 receptors.

Here is the entire page, http://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/antidepressants/ssris/citalopram-escitalopram-differences-similarities/

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Thank you! I have read a lot of different articles on the drugs and some say different some say the same lol

Hi Coopergirl!

I think intrusive thoughts are a sing of anhedonia lifting since I think that very anhedonic person couldn't care even if he/she is trying to care about what he/she might have done in her/his past. Guilt is a feeling too.

I had a lot of intrusive thoughts before i updosed last autumn( I didn't have anhedonia before that updosing on the contrary i was feeling everything very deeply the good and the bad) and i felt so deep guilt that i didn't know it was even possible to feel that way. Those moments of guilt lasted only few days but it was very scary. (Still anhedonia is worse than intrusive thoughts if you ask me.)

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

I wanted to say thank you to everyone answering my questions. You keep me going. I was wondering had any of you experienced intrusive thoughts on the drug, during poop out of the drug, while off the drug or while tapering..any thoughts appreciated please!

• Moderator Emeritus

"any thoughts appreciated please!"

I hope you don't want us to provide any more intrusive thoughts :o   ;) 

Here is the link to SA's discussion:  intrusive-thoughts-and-increased-panic

To search the SA for existing topics use a search engine like google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic. In this instance I typed in thoughts.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Chessiecat!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well. I have a question for you all. I was wondering if withdrawal can distort memories, or make them bad?

• Moderator Emeritus

To search the SA for existing topics use a search engine like google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic. In this instance I typed in memories.

memories-from-pre-drugged-years-surfacing

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone. Haven't written in a while but I'm really suffering still. I can just be doing something I find quite normal and an intrusive thought will come along and tell me what I'm doing is wrong Or I have a bad thought during an action and I keep thinking in turn I've done something wrong. Is this effecting anyone else? Please. Thank you

Hey Coopergirl

it's  poetjester.  yeah. i have a lot of the same things.  I will start to do things and voices tell me to stop doing what I am doing.  continually make me start and stop things.  frustrating.  other times not so bad, as there is some encouragement given.   hope you feel better soon.  I go half mad somedays with all this.

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

You're not alone, I'm having a hard time too. Some thoughts are really pushing their agenda forward: "analyze this, consider that".

Whatever you do, definitely do not analyze what it wants you to. What I do is to feel the pain, hopelessness, fear I'm in. If you feel your emotions, its energy can't be transformed into thoughts.

I don't really know what to do but I have learned what not to do.

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg

1 hour ago, miT said:

You're not alone, I'm having a hard time too. Some thoughts are really pushing their agenda forward: "analyze this, consider that".

Whatever you do, definitely do not analyze what it wants you to. What I do is to feel the pain, hopelessness, fear I'm in. If you feel your emotions, its energy can't be transformed into thoughts.

I don't really know what to do but I have learned what not to do.

Hey MiT,

I am in the same boat.  I don't really know how to make myself better, but I sometimes know what not to do to make myself feel worse.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Coopergirl1 said:

Hi everyone. Haven't written in a while but I'm really suffering still. I can just be doing something I find quite normal and an intrusive thought will come along and tell me what I'm doing is wrong Or I have a bad thought during an action and I keep thinking in turn I've done something wrong. Is this effecting anyone else? Please. Thank you

Hi Coopergirl

I have this exact same intrusive thought. I believe mine comes from my childhood, I have a very disapproving mother and step grandmother and was abused by both.

I often get very frightened that I am doing the wrong thing, or doing something the wrong way, or not making the best use of my time, and on and on and on!!
some days it never seems to end.

one way I am finding to deal with this is to write the thoughts down and then to challenge them.

So, I will be doing something, say washing dishes, and splash some water on the floor by mistake. Immediately I'll feel like I must have been washing the dishes incorrectly, such as trying to go too fast and that is what caused the spill.......

and I'll get scared because in my mind, I am anticipating being punished.

to deal with this at the time it happens, I just say to myself, it's ok, it was a simple mistake, it's not a tragedy, just wipe up the spill, it's not a big deal.

I'll tell myself that these thoughts are from my past and that the thoughts can't hurt me and the past can't hurt me.

later I may write down the thoughts and challenge them, such as, is it realistic to think that you can do everything perfectly and never make any mistakes?

would I expect any one else I know to live up to such a high standard?

this helps to get some perspective on these thoughts.
yes It's unpleasant to have them pop up, but remind yourself: they are JUST THOUGTHTs

they can not hurt you.

tell yourself, these thoughts are caused by your withdrawal, they don't mean anything, they are not valid, they are not rooted in reality.

I hope this helps some.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

You are so so sweet to reach out to me! I appreciate it so much! That whole message made me feel much better. I wish I could type back a longer message but I am struggling to just make some dinner.. I don't feel like myself this isn't me at all!!