Angiegirl - Sertraline withdrawal HELL! Need some advice....

Angiegirl

Hi all,

Basically I've been on Sertraline for about a year. I'm really sensitive and had a hard time getting on SSRIs. Felt horrible on them. Very zoned out and crap. Decided after 6 months to taper off of them. I've been on Prozac in the past and had no trouble coming of of them and assumed it'd be the same. I tapered the Sertraline over 4 weeks. I was on 50mg. I thought this was plenty of time after doctors advice of cutting by 50%. I was ok for the first week or so and then the withdrawal hit and got worse and worse. It was pretty much disabling. I lasted for 4 weeks like this and then couldn't cope any longer and took half a tablet (25mg). Stayed on this for the last 6 months as I was too scared to go through withdrawal again. Decided to take the plunge again and have tapered from 25mg over 2 months. Was reducing every couple of weeks. Stopped altogether and after 10 days the withdrawal started and has got worse and worse. Really severe. Have been pretty much in bed for the last 2 weeks...

I'm trying to decided where to go from here... I'm on high dose Omegas and another supplement called JNK (recommended by theroadback.org). These are supposed to really help withdrawal. They haven't even touched it in a week and I'm taking a lot! I've been reading a lot today and wondering whether I should go back on a low dose SSRI to level this out and then taper very slowly (10% ever 3 weeks).

What I need advice on is... Will going back on a small dose of SSRI cause me more problems as I've been off of Sertraline for 3 weeks now? Also, knowing that I have come off Prozac before much easier, I'm thinking of going on to a low dose of Prozac instead of Sertraline as it may be better for me to get completely off of. The other option is to carry on with this but realise that is could be weeks or months before I feel remotely human again....

Need some advice and opinions... sorry about the long post. Really hope I can go forward some how. Thanks for reading. Xx

welcome 'angiegirl' to SA.I came off sertraline too quick as well I can relate.Someone will be along soon to assist you.

I wish you well

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angiegirl

Welcome to SA. Sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell. Definitely sounds like withdrawal.

Here is our thread on reinstatement - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

We recommend reinstating at low doses as in 2 - 5 mg to lessen the risk your body will react negatively to the reinstatement due to being sensitised. It also means less to come off later. If I was you I would give 2mg a go to start with and see how you respond. I wouldn't go the Prozac because it's an unknown at this stage.

Read through the thread, come. back here to ask any questions before you make the decision about what to do next

Dalsaan

Ps we haven't found many supplements that fix withdrawal. Fish oil and magnesium help many but not all. You can read about supplements in the symptoms section and if you search the site you will find commentary on the road back

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks for your reply. I didn't have any notifications and wasn't sure where my post went... What is the reason you suggest to not take Prozac? I know it has a longer half life so thought it might be easier to taper.... Feel like I never want to take Sertraline again! :o( I'll read the info you recommend. I'll let you know. Thanks. :o)

• Moderator Emeritus

We generally recommend keeping changes down to a minimum. Even if you have tolerated Prozac before, you could have an adverse reaction now that you are in withdrawal.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Ok. Thanks so much for your advice. I'm tempted to leave it a few more days and see what happened naturally but don't want to do even more damage. My symptoms seem to have stabilized slightly. Still really bad though... Want to help the situation not make it worse. What is your advice? Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

If it was me I would try a very low dose reinstatement. Say 2mg. Give it a week see how you respond. A low dose means less chance of having an adverse reaction to the reinstatement. Some people find that that low a dose helps but not entirely so they up dose gradually till they find the minimal dose they can stabilise on

Can I ask you to complete your signature. Instructions are here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Dalsaan

• Mentor

Hi Angie girl   and welcome from another Angie    Welcome!    I am just curious how long were you on the prozac, and how long ago did you give that one up?    I agree totallly with the moderators, dont add in another unknown, stick to reinstating the last drug you were on, at a low dose.................      if you need to.....  

You are from Essex,  I was born in Dagenham,   long, long time ago :)  going into autumn over there?  

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Thanks for reply again. I'm on my phone and not finding the 'my Settings'?

Hi Ang. Well I was on prozac about ten years ago for about a year. Also when I started SSRIs again last year I started with Prozac for about 4 months and changed to Sertraline which I've been on for about a year. I'm the other end of Essex. About 40 mins from Dagenham. Where are you now? X

Also has anyone got any tips on how to get the tablet into this tiny amount? I watched the video on dissolving in water. Could give that a go but haven't got distilled water... Does this matter?

What dose were you on when you stopped?

I am on zoloft (sertralin) as well, and I completely sympathize with you! After six months on I just couldnt stop because I felt so extremely bad. After this I have been tapering very slowly. By 5 percent each month. It has been a very long journey, but I have been able to work.

If I were you I would try reinstatement, and as the other say on a low dose. I hope someone else will tell you about how to make liquid. I am using a scale (and water).

Take care.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

I'm wondering if I stick it out without reinstatement, what the chances are feeling human again and how long it would take. Feel so confused about what to do... X

Hi Angiegirl-- welcome to the group.  I sorry to hear that you're having such trouble, but I think we can help get you back on track.  It sounds like you came off too fast the effects are catching up with you.  We don't recommend switching meds, because they are not interchangeable, at best the new one will just cover up part of the WD of the old one and will add start up symptoms of its own on top of it all.  Like Dalsaan suggested going back on a small dose should help.  I would try 2mg for a while and see how it goes.  Please understand that this is not an instant process and it could take several weeks for things to stabilize.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

There is a tutorial around here somewhere on navigating on a mobile device, I don't have a link but you should be able to find it using the search function. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you. I've made a liquid solution. I was taking 25mg so do you think 2mg is enough? I'll take 2mg tonight anyway.

I'm still wondering... If I wasn't to reinstate how long it'd take to get over this 'naturally'. I'm happy to reinstate if it means feeling better but if it's gonna take a few weeks then not taking anything might be the same... Oh I don't know. Just don't want to reinstate if I can possibly get over this myself... But also don't want to wait and not get better by myself... ..?

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

No one can answer your how long it would take question. We all have to work without a crystal ball unfortunately. We have given you the best info we can. Withdrawal can go on for a long time which is why we are suggesting reinstatement

Ok so I've taken 2mg of sertraline (in liquid) for 2 nights and no improvement so far. Should I increase? How long should you wait to see if it's going to help? Thanks. X

• Mentor

Hi Angiegirl,

If it is not making you worse, try it the same for 3 weeks.

when I tried to reinstate,   I did it for 3 weeks.................   so my advice is to try the 2mg for that long......  then after three weeks, re evaluate.  I know it is a long time, but that was my guide.  

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

It takes 4 days at least to get a consistent level in your system and then a while longer to see how you go. I'd give it 7 days at least and kept us know how it's going

D

Big hugs. I'm here for answers too, so no help to offer you but solidarity in getting off sertraline. It took me 6 months but I really pushed it, and lots off going back on when I'd find myself prostrate and unable to do anything but lay down for days on end. My gut tells me that you, and I, and others can do it, but it's incredibly difficult in so many ways. xo

I took Zoloft at 50mg/day, then 100mg/day, for 18 months for Postpartum Depression. My dr wanted to increase to 150mg, at which point I decided I needed to get off (at about 1 year). I had many debilitating symptoms but it took me a while to recognize that it was the drug causing the problems. I tapered off over 6 months, and had lots of horrible discontinuation symptoms. I went from 100 to 50 by alternating doses (doctor's plan), for probably 2-3 weeks, then to 50, and stayed there for several months. Then down to 25mg/day alternated with 50 mg/day for a couple of weeks, then straight 25, then every other day 25, for like 2 weeks each time, down to one dose of 25 every few days, then off completely. I'm now 3-4 months drug-free but still experiencing severe mood fluctuations and some depression and self-harm. Just wondering when it's all going to end and when I'll be back to my old self. As long as the answer isn't "never" I just want to hear other stories. xo

Just will say that I made the decision to NOT reinstate...my hx with this drug was just to long and I had enough. I came off way to fast because I thought that gabapentin was going to take over for me..

chose not to take that after 1 week

I will be off of this for 5 months Oct 9th and my symptoms have lessened in some areas and worsen/ed in others...dizziness is my worst symptom right now

I had burning skin/eyes.....that's gotten better but whacked head feeling and dizzy not so much

so I just forge ahead and pray that this will not take forever

15yrs of being on this garbage I have to suspect my brain needs time to catch up

please keep us posted on your reinstatement

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

Hi again - I just had time to catch up on your thread. In my experience when I needed to go back on (is it called reinstatement?) during withdrawal the impact of doing so was immediate - like about 2 hours from feeling like death warmed over lying in bed to being okay. By next day 100%. But I would increase by a lot more than you - I only had 25mg as a smallest dose. Anyway, your description of your sensitivity to it sounds like me - very sensitive to it - so my uneducated guess is that if you don't feel relief relatively quickly than your increase was probably too little. Also, in my experience, the death warmed over state would NOT go away on its own without taking more of the medication. It's like brain and body are thrown into such desperate chaos - I tried this multiple times, lying in bed for weeks at a time while my husband took leaves from work. I always had to go back on. My last/lowest dose was 25mg once every three days for a week then I was able to kick it. And now just dealing with not acute debilitating illness but mood recovery. xo

I took Zoloft at 50mg/day, then 100mg/day, for 18 months for Postpartum Depression. My dr wanted to increase to 150mg, at which point I decided I needed to get off (at about 1 year). I had many debilitating symptoms but it took me a while to recognize that it was the drug causing the problems. I tapered off over 6 months, and had lots of horrible discontinuation symptoms. I went from 100 to 50 by alternating doses (doctor's plan), for probably 2-3 weeks, then to 50, and stayed there for several months. Then down to 25mg/day alternated with 50 mg/day for a couple of weeks, then straight 25, then every other day 25, for like 2 weeks each time, down to one dose of 25 every few days, then off completely. I'm now 3-4 months drug-free but still experiencing severe mood fluctuations and some depression and self-harm. Just wondering when it's all going to end and when I'll be back to my old self. As long as the answer isn't "never" I just want to hear other stories. xo

• Administrator

Welcome, Angie.

Please do NOT skip doses, it's important you keep all the factors steady, even to taking 2mg at the same time each day.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi all. It's been 3 days of 2mg and no obvious improvement. If anything feel worse today... Trying to do the right thing and work a,l this out while feeling like this is very hard. My brain feels like it's completeky shut down... Difficult to know what to do really... Thinking I'll stay on the 2mg for a few more days and reassess again. X

Hello Angie,

According to this site it could take up to 4 days to enter your blood stream and even longer to stabilize.

Hang in there,

Tgirl

I am not a doctor!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Administrator

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.