kate1975: dropping lyrica CT

kate1975

Skylar ...I read your tag it said that you took 2 years to get off lyrica?

2 yrs ago I went from  lyrica /ativan and crossed to gabapentin ,then 5 months later stopped a small amount of gabapentin. I lost 50 lbs in 60 days ....so sick .depressed etc for 3 months and i was taking 50 mgs gab.

I will never completely stop the benzo I am aware of that and have tried twice. 

But  the lyrica is killing me. 

Lyrica and gabapentin almost the same med -Lyrica stronger.....

here is what i found in tapering lyrica----didn't matter how long i cut down as soon as it was out of my system completely the w/d began. Resembling a benzo w/d and of course my benzo  did not work as well since the two are synergistic. 

I cannot do 2 yrs wd and I want to ct lyrica as well. I don't have 2 yrs to do this due to health concerns ....too many serious side effects and it didn't help last time.

I am not addicted to lyrica but Tolerant. i swear ..it is the nastiest med. 

so im willing to do the Wd and dump it. I am aware of the seizure issue but clonazepam is also an anti seizure med. 

as for doctors forget it....they only seem to know how to dispense not withdraw. I know what to expect ,its not pretty but i have to try. i have a strong cream for my feet for the neuropathy. I thought about going form 250 mgs to 50 but it doesn't make sense ....as the wd begins once its out of my system. 

i cannot breathe on lyrica .So I may go a week at 50 mgs---25 mgs then none....but no more,. i have ct'd paxil,celexa , seroquel,and lamictal. But lyrica .....is tied to the benzo i think that is the problem. 

I don't have time to do it the long way 10% so I have to try it again.I have LDN for pain (low dose naltroxtone) 

as a matter of fact i have topomax as well and lots of painkillers that i cannot take due to breathing issues ,,,,,I wouldn't take them anyway after lyrica ....and benzo combo Im disgusted by meds ,don't trust doctors at all. 

what do you think ? I am sure it will be rough but i have little choice. 

I would appreciate your thoughts.

ty

diagnosis,neuropathy in feet...osteoarthritis ,no mental disorders . misdiagnosed given benzos 20 plus yrs ....7 yrs ago was given lyrica, prior given paxil,seroquel,lamictal almost all psyche meds (didn't take all of them) CT'd all antidepressants,lamictal,and seroquel individually--- no problem.benzos are another animal. tried a crossover to valium 4 yrs ago ---disaster --then was Ct'd off benzos in hospital by a so called benzo dr. INHUMANE...and unsuccessful.Was given large doses of lyrica or gabapentin to compensate. Appalled at the ignorance of doctors in getting off psyche drugs! 

Like was said, Gabapentin is just a precursor to Lyrica, but much stronger. I have read many posts that it is very difficult to come off. Some people say it is worse then tapering the strongest of benzos. I know you want to be rid of it ASAP and I don't blame you. But I believe if you C/T off it you will feel miserable. Maybe a rapid w/d might ease the pain somewhat, but you probably won't get off it pain free. My pdoc refuses to script this for this very reason. He also refuses to script benzos and Paxil. He just gives me benzos for my taper, and no other patient. I'd hope for the best but be prepared..............Any time I see and ad that says a drug can be addictive, that's a red flag to me. I think if I see one more ad for Lyrica I will throw up. :(

Betsy

2003-Tried most ADs. Paradoxical.

March- July 40 mg Remeron. C/Ted off it.

2003-2014 3-10 mg of Kpin. Partial C/O to 70 mg Valium. Have 6.5 mg of K to taper. C/H 5% every 14 days.

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

April 2015: 150 mg Trazodone; 100 mg Seroquel;  132 mcg Levothyroxine.

2016 C/T 700 mg gabapentin.

Dec. 21, 2015: Klonopin Free.

2015 Off cigarettes.

At 13 mg of Valium from 70.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Kate1975

I moved your topic from the benzo forum to start an introduction thread here in the general intro/update section because you are currently concerned with tapering from lyrica rather than a benzo.

I'm not Skylar, but I think she would agree with me that going CT off any drug is not advised. When did your breathing issues start?

Please would you list the drugs you are currently taking along with the dose.

When we have a few more details, we will be able to make some suggestions, hang in there Kate, you have come to the right place for support.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes