KarenB

• Moderator Emeritus

Two different things have led me to think that rocking - such as on a rocking-chair, or just rocking yourself back and forth - can be both generally soothing and specifically encouraging to our brains to heal and grow. 

The first is that when I started tapering and had distressing withdrawal-symptoms I automatically started rocking.  Sometimes it felt compulsive.  Because it made me feel better I was generally happy to go along with it.

Secondly, over the last 5 or so years, I've attended local seminars called 'Parenting or Scaffolding with Love.'  In America (where it started) it's called Non-Violent Communication or NVC.  A large part of their research and discussion is around how brains develop over our lives.  My ears pricked up when they spoke of how rocking a baby is hugely important for their brain-development, and of how rocking children when they are distressed can help them process difficulties and calm them.  

Apparantly rhythmic movement connects neurotransmitters - but that doesn't mean much to my rather unscientific mind.  It's more that it seems logical to me.  I've since read that any rhythmic movement can work - swinging, trampoline, swimming, horse-riding, I guess even walking...   

So now when I'm anxious or sad or feeling withdrawal symptoms, I rock.  I do it quite purposefully, thinking of it encouraging my brain to heal.

It's also led me to wonder what else we do for babies' development that would benefit us in withdrawal.  Obviously we already know about napping and eating really healthy food.  Maybe also things like eye-contact with people we love, hugging or some kind of contact, or singing.  Actually that ties in with my personal belief that it is our relationships that help us to heal from trauma.

Anything else?    

I hope this is as useful to someone else as it has been to me.  (And if anyone knows the science behind it all, feel free to chime in).

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Love that!!! It's bound to help.....I love to rock on our front porch chairs...will start doing it more often now.

9/11/2015 15 mg Fluoxetine/night 1 month into taper from 20 mg

11/28/2015 5 mg Fluoxetine/night, slicing tablet, measuring & placing into empty capsule to easily swallow.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy