Tina Zoloft taper help please

Tina

Hello all,

I joined this forum for help with my wife. Now here is my current conundrum. I have been on Zoloft 100mg. for approx. 5 years or so. It has helped tremendously. I did wean off of it about 2 years ago just to see if I really needed it. According to my family based on my overall mental health, I did need it. So I went back on it and last year I was in the hospital with come to find out I have urinary retention. Which come to find out was happening for quite awhile. I can't empty my bladder when I pee, and it was 4 times the normal size. So I now wear a catheter 24/7. I recently found one of the major side effects of SSRI's is urinary retention. So now I'm at a cross roads. Do I want to pee regularly or suffer the anxiety and depression that Zoloft takes away? Man, what a hard decision. I want to start tapering but am scared. I was thinking if I do slowly get off the Zoloft, and then we do a test to see if I can urinate regularly, then that's good. But if it doesn't work, I can always go back on the Zoloft. I was hoping for some advice here to help me make a proper choice.

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Tina, 

Glad you found SA. I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. I have a question for you: when you went off 

Zoloft, how fast did you go down? A fast taper may have resulted in withdrawal symptoms which are very 

often mistaken for the original psychiatric condition "returning."

I'd like to offer the notion that it might not be a question of either/or. There are ways, I'm learning, to 

address depression and anxiety without medicines. Who knew that things like vitamins; magnesium; 

sleep (anxiety can be a result of undiagnosed sleep disorder); and many other things can help with 

anxiety and depression. It's very individual, though, of course. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Tina's husband :),

What do you think about having a thread for yourself with your own screen-name, and if you want more detailed help for your wife then start a separate one for her?

That way you'd each have a signature and we could help you both without getting too confused. 

I could move this thread to the Intro forum and put your name on it, since it's got your details in the first post. 

Hope I haven't confused things further... let me know what you think.

Karen.

PS - Welcome.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

Welcome, Tina.

This is now your own Introductions topic. Please add to it to track your own progress.

How do you feel about having to use a catheter to urinate?

Most people, and most doctors, would think this was a highly undesirable adverse effect from Zoloft. Does your doctor think this is just fine?

Have you ever considered managing your "depression," or whatever it was you were feeling when you went on Zoloft, with non-drug therapies?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

'Ive had terrible problems with antidepressants and urinary retention

I have tried many AD and some do not cause this as bad

Could you try switching to a different one to see if this helps?

Just a thought

Pamela- 45years

long term use of anafranil 10mg- 100mg- 1990-2012 off and on

Wellbutrin combined - 6months- 2001

Paxil 5mg-10mg- 2001-2003 and restarted 2013- 1 years

Pristiq 50mg- 2months- 2012, Effexor 1 month 2012 very low dose

Cipralex -10mg- 6 months 2014

Zoloft 23mls liquid 2015- 3 months

tapering presently Septermber 2015 17mls

November 2015 -12.5 mls. liquid Zoloft

March 2016- 13.5mls liquid zoloft- increased due to emotional issues and anxiety

August 2016- 8mg Zoloft capsules

crohns, lupus like condition, psoriasis, pernious anemia