Antipsychotic survivors? Interested in your stories

• Moderator Emeritus

My daughter was on one antipsychotic for a total time of 2 years and 4 months (2 years and 1 month of tapering)  It has been 3 years since she has been off.  She is doing better but it has been a slow process.  It is very important to understand that it takes time.  There will be ups and downs, good times, bad times, anxious times, but time will even it all out..... eventually.   Her brain was 'special' to begin with so her healing is different than most, I assume.  But all of our brains and healing will be different. It is best not to compare.  Just keep plodding along. The goal is to one day be free of the poison medication and the worst of the symptoms.  Don't take any other medications. Be very wary of supplements. Be kind to your body and go easy on your level of expectations.  The only way is forward.  My goal now is that one day....(when that is, I don't know...but we are getting closer) one day....she will be back to a 'normal' that allows for happiness, the ability to manage stress and a job.  3 years and not healed seems crazy, I know, I am living it with her. But she is better. I can see the healing over time.  I know there is more healing that will happen.

Hang in there. None of us get through this life without scars, tears, pain and sorrow.  It will get better if you stay the course. Best Wishes to All who are on this journey. Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

Hi everyone, just found this thread and I want to leave my experience. I came off olanzapine/zyprexas several times with the help of my psychiatrists and nothing happened but my last treatment the psychiatrist wanted to try keeping the antipsychotic longer. I took it over a year and I wasn't able to come off. Luckily I immediately thought to come up again and go slower. Presently I am in my 4th attempt to come off from 2,5mg. First I just stopped like the psychiatrist suggested, awfull withdrawal, second I tried breaking pills on my own, it was awfull too. Then I found this site and tried 10%. It was way too fast, for me only dropping 2,5% does the trick. I am dropping 2,5% every 15 days. I don't know if I'll be successful untill the end but I wanted to state that tapering takes practice and that sometimes we can only handle safely 2,5% drops and that's ok, even though I came off directly from 5mg to 2,5mg a couple of times with no issues at all. I'm not advising anyone to do this, every taper must be carefully considered, just wanted to illustrate how the same pill on different dosages can be so different in terms of tapering and withdrawal. It really is an art to taper and it should be taylored to each person. If it doesn't work the first time just try going slower untill you find a way  I wish everyone a safe tapering journey.

2007 - 15mg olanzapine, mood stabilizer, benzo, quetiapine 2009 - aripiprazol, benzo, lamotrigine 100mg 2015 - olzp 15mg, zolpidem 2017 - trazodone 2 weeks, cold turkey, lamotrigine and zolpidem, olzp 15mg, mood stabilizer, benzo 2018 - olzp 5mg, Nov olzp 2,5mg down directly from 5mg no symptoms 2019 - olzp 2,5mg cold turkey Jan after 12 days reinstated, Nov taper cutting pills 14 days reinstated 2,5mg 2020 - failed liquid taper, reinstated 2,5mg, 2022 - liquid taper 2,5% reductions Jan, huge crisis in May up to 30mg, tapered, reached 2,5mg in Set - decided to stop tapering and remain at 2,5mg olanzapine indefinetely.

• 1 month later...

Hello! I would like to contribute to this topic about antipsychotics, my experience of using it was not very long, but it might help someone. Aripiprazole was prescribed to treat, according to the psychiatrist, OCD (which I found absurd, as I never had anything like that). Unfortunately I was going through a difficult time and I ended up accepting it. In my signature is the period and doses. While taking this drug, I had serious problems with akathisia, because I just couldn't stay still for absolutely nothing, my body was moving involuntarily, I had several tremors and a crazy restlessness. I felt an immense anguish in my chest, as if my soul were deeply gnawing, the memories are terrible. I also had severe memory loss, where I couldn't remember what had happened the morning of the same day, let alone the day before. I had no control over my limbs. I totally lost concentration. My joints became stiff and I felt pain in them. At the time, I didn't understand what was causing it, that's when I started to suspect drugs (I didn't imagine they could cause all this). On random days, I would go off the drug and feel better, with fewer negative symptoms. From there began my struggle for withdrawal. I still stayed for a while using them for medical advice, which stated that these medications could not cause all this, and I was even more in doubt, it was a painful path to completely withdraw. After I stopped using Aripiprazole my body felt better and the akathisia decreased over time. My perception of space and time, and memory are still very impaired, but I don't know which drug caused it, or even a combination of the two. I believe that antipsychotics somehow not only modify brain structures but also destroy neurons, as it felt like an eraser was erasing my memories day after day. Of course, along with them, antidepressants are on this list. I don't know if this can help anyone, but this is my contribution. Each experience and reaction is unique, there is no comparison. For me, getting off Aripiprazole was easier than the antidepressant, but I can't say with 100% certainty because the withdrawal of these two drugs was close and I don't know how much one influenced the other, nor how the two acted on my body, but certainly caused very bad reactions that I still suffer to heal. I didn't do the withdrawal process recommended by the SA community out of ignorance, I wasn't aware of the site, but it's best to follow what is here, as it is the most correct and works. From what I've been through, you can get off antipsychotics and slowly try to get back to normal.

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

• 3 months later...

Seroquel - a 75% and Climbing Success Story

I have been posting on SA since last December. In the beginning of my thread there is a summary of my 3 years and 4 months of slowly tapering down off of the medication. Here is a link to a downloadable copy of that summary along with a downloadable copy of my medication history timeline spreadsheet which documents my entire psychiatric history.

This is also a link to the tapering summary that you can read online.

Today I posted a summary of the last year since I stopped taking the Seroquel. Here is a link to that summary.

I followed up that post with an additional statement advising caution to those who are considering or in the process of tapering their antipsychotic, or any other medication for that matter.

I am still in the process of recovery and it will be quite some time before I am 100% but I have come a long way and I think that the worst is now in the past. The hardest thing to deal with right now is the anger associated with what was done. That will also take time to dissipate. I am well on my way and making progress every day. Don't give up the fight. You will get there too. 😉✌️😺😺😺😺

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry, I don’t have a signature yet. I am in the process of titrating off Lurasidone and at times the withdrawals are horrific. With that in mind I would LOVE to hear some positive stories of people coming off this med. I started on 40mg 7 or 8 years ago when given a misdiagnosis of bipolar 2. I am currently taking 12mg a day (as of 7 days ago). I’ve been dropping by 2mg each time since I got down to 20mg. I tried three times to come off this med much faster and failed terribly. The drop from 16-14mg was very difficult and this recent drop has me feeling hellish! I think I may need to reduce the amount I decrease by a little. Any advice is more than welcome!

thanks

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thorin,  I've got you started with an Introduction topic now here

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I was basically CT'd off an anti-emetic which I later learned acts in the same way as anti-psychotics; I took it regularly for 20 days and then PRN for two months. The akathisia was horrific, it is still bad but I am getting better, slowly, 6 months after last dose.

Too bad I got a prescription cascade off my symptoms and am still taking mirtazapine.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

Here's an update to my recovery that I posted on my thread and am reposting here. I thought the Epiphany I had this morning and my thoughts on patterns of recovery may be helpful to people.

2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

I just posted new statistics on my thread and am re-posting them here. I am upgrading my level of recovery from 75 % to 80% 😁

I recently came off Abilify 20 mg. The tapering process itself was fine - no real withdrawal symptoms to speak of. It was only when I completely stopped that I experienced w/d symptoms. About 2 weeks after taking my final dose, I got depressed for about 2-3 weeks. Fortunately, I work with an excellent Herbalist who has helped others in the past get off a/d's. Following her guidance and taking a number of herbs to support the nervous system and brain minimized any negative symptoms.

I'm still working with her as I now begin to taper Wellbutrin. She's been a lifesaver and amazing support.

2015 Lexapro 10 mg

2020 Lexapro 20 mg, Wellbutrin 400 mg, Abilify 2 mg, Modafinil 200 mg ☹️

3/10/22 - begin 10% taper off Abilify 2 mg.

June 2022 - off Abilify

I'm on 0 Risperidone and 0 Cloazepam even with residual symptoms I'm at the best moment of my life walking towards the realization of my Dreams with help and progressing each day with greater independence because I only have the help of my friends and I have future projects that I'm doing little by little the philosophy I have is that for every situation there are many ways out and whoever is brave always looking for them will gradually find them and will reach the best possible state of well being and realization of dreams, keep believing that healing is always possible for everyone because Love is the greatest healing gift of all and we have it because we were tested by pain and we survived and this is the proof of our supernatural strength this determined and indesitable Love,Thank you and Grateful to all!

2012-Klonopin, Risperdal, Prometazina

2013 Amitripityline, Saphris, Melleril , Abilify, Klonopin, Prometazina

2013-2019 Zoloft, Klonopin, Thorazine, Risperdal, Haldol

2019-2020 Zoloft, Klonopin Thrazine, Risperdal

2021-2022 Klonopin, Risperdal

Atualmente tomando 0,50 Klonopin e 0,25 mg de Risperdal 

July 24 0 mg of risperidone and in July 27, 2022 0mg of risperidone and 0.30mg of clonazepam and between July 27th and 31st 0 of risperidone and 0.20 of clonazapam, and more or less on July 31st, the two drugs are reduced to 0 so far this is the dose of both, I sent a message to Altostrata, Thanks Shep there it is, I'm counting on your help, but I'm doing great in these decreases to 0!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

I just posted my latest statistics on my recovery from Seroquel. Here is the link.

On 12/17/2018 at 1:19 PM, dksleuth said:

I took anti-psychotics for one year straight at high dosages.  Seroquel (400 mg), Latuda (120 mg), and Abilify (20 mg) all at different times throughout the year.  I had no idea how dangerous these drugs were until after I discontinued them.   I discontinued them when I started to experience fatigue, memory loss, difficultly concentrating. I did not taper but discontinued Abilify (my final medication) within a weeks time  I am recovering very slowly, if at all. I am glad I no longer feel like I am dying but i'm concerned that the cognitive effects are permanent. I don't feel like the same person.  It is difficult for me to hold a conversation, my attention jumps all over the place, and my energy level is shot.  Reading is a struggle.  I am unimaginative, uninspired, and incapable of planning beyond a moments notice. The effects have adversely affected my career, my friendships,  my spirituality, my hobbies. 

sorry this is an old reply but how are you now? I CTed rexulti 3mg 10 weeks ago by the guidance of my doctor, and feeling not like myself. I cannot enjoy watching tv or movie, it just feels weird...

2021/2 - 2021/5: Xanax 1mg, zopiclone 3.75mg; 2021/5 - 2021/8: Xanax 1mg, zopiclone 3.75mg, venlafaxine 225mg; 2021/8 - 2021/11: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, rexulti 2mg, mirtazapine 30mg, zopiclone 3.75mg; 2021/11 - 2021/12: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, rexulti 2mg

Crashed, mirtazapine WD(didn't know at that time)

2022/1 - 2022/3: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, bupropion 300mg; 2022/4 - 2022/5:Clonazapem 1mg, venlafaxine 187.5mg, trazodone 100mg

2022/5 - 2022/8/15: Clonazepam 0.5mg(wean off), trazodone 100mg, lexapro 20mg(cross taper), rexulti 3mg

Crashed, suspect to be benzo WD

2022/8/16 - 2022/9/7: Clonazepam  0.5mg, venlafaxine 150mg(side effect this time), rexulti 3mg, trazodone 100mg, seroquel 25mg; 2022/9/8 - 2022/10/1: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 20mg(cross taper), rexulti 3mg, trazodone 50mg, seroquel 25mg; 2022/10/2 - 2022/11/8: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 10mg, trazodone 25mg

Crashed since 10/9

2022/11/9 - 2022/11/15: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg; 2022/11/16 - 2022/12/2: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 5mg; 2022/12/3 - 2022/12/21: Clonazapem 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 2.5mg

Fly back to China from Canada, 13hrs jet lag triggered severe wave til today.

2022/12/22 - 2023/3/21: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 5mg

2023/3/21 - now: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 10mg, dayvigo 5mg

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

I just posted this on my thread. I am upgrading my recovery from 80% to 85%. I'm nearly there after almost 17 months.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

So, it took a bit longer than 2 days to recover after that storm but I seem to have recovered. Here is the update on that from my thread.

Glad you’re improving & feeling better !! 🙂 

& wow thanks for the post about eating causing anxiety & the histamine. I had pizza the other day (which I shouldn’t because of the acid reflux/indigestion but everyone was eating it & I couldn’t help myself it’s been sooo long lol) but anyways about 10 after I finished eating it, my arm all of a sudden got incredibly itchy. I looked down & there was a red rash. It went away on its own in about 4 min. Very weird. I will be sticking to my low acid plain food. Oatmeal, toast, chicken, eggs, rice & veggies. 

sucks cause I would love to eat some avocados but I know that’s high in histamine 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

@peaceandlove Sorry that happened. There are many hard lessons to learn through this process and.....Ya..... it does kind of suck. I ate some crackers the other day. No gut issues and no serious reactions but I did immediately swelled up and gained 3 pounds of water weight. The next day I had joint pain all over that has been gone for quite some time. The same thing happened after I ate the bagel but I wasn't sure that was the cause due to heavy physical activity at the same time. This time there was no doubt as to what caused it. So, from now on I am aware to avoid wheat products. I may indulge once in a great while but for the most part, if I want things like egg salad, tuna salad, PBJ, etc, I will have them on a rice cake instead of bread. Rice does not cause the inflammation. Tired of hurting all the time.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:10 AM, FeralCatman said:

@peaceandlove Sorry that happened. There are many hard lessons to learn through this process and.....Ya..... it does kind of suck. I ate some crackers the other day. No gut issues and no serious reactions but I did immediately swelled up and gained 3 pounds of water weight. The next day I had joint pain all over that has been gone for quite some time. The same thing happened after I ate the bagel but I wasn't sure that was the cause due to heavy physical activity at the same time. This time there was no doubt as to what caused it. So, from now on I am aware to avoid wheat products. I may indulge once in a great while but for the most part, if I want things like egg salad, tuna salad, PBJ, etc, I will have them on a rice cake instead of bread. Rice does not cause the inflammation. Tired of hurting all the time.

Oh wow that’s crazy. I’m tired of hurting too, you’re not alone. But your so close to full recovery from what I’m reading on your post 🙂 

& random but you mentioned you took Gaviscon, was it only at night time or did you take it every time with meals?

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

23 hours ago, peaceandlove said:

Oh wow that’s crazy. I’m tired of hurting too, you’re not alone. But your so close to full recovery from what I’m reading on your post 🙂 

& random but you mentioned you took Gaviscon, was it only at night time or did you take it every time with meals?

@peaceandlove I took Gaviscon only when needed so there was no set schedule. I've only taken it a handful of times and it does work fairly well and I tolerated it just fine.

I may not be as close to the end as I hope. I just posted an update to my thread which explains what just happened. I've made a lot of progress in 18 months but my body and nervous system are still very sensitive and easily triggered into a wave. Especially after the extreme exertion of that first big storm. Seems like that may have set me back more that I thought. Time will tell.

I'm so scared of removing my medication, but this gives me a bit of strength. Thank you guys.

Anyone with schizophrenia able to get off medication?

<2014 - antidepressant, unknown, CT

2014 - cocktail of medication, unknown

2014> - Psychiatrist tapered everything and prescribed Seroquel 600mg, Latuda 80mg, Clonazepam 5mg

2020 - Seroquel 600mg

2022 - October: got prescribed Lexapro 5mg due to worsening symptoms, I only took it 2 to three times. I stopped due to severe side effects. Got prescribed Seroquel 700mg to help crisis. Took Fish Oil thrice the recommended amount and symptoms improved after suffering for 8 to 9 years. Reduced back to Seroquel 600mg. Now taking the recommended supplements of SA, Fish Oil and Magnesium.

2023 - Not taking Magnesium for now for side effects. Taking a lot of Vitamin D around 3000IU. Mental health significantly improved like night and day after a month. Not very hyper and mentally in chaos and finally able to feel peace. Taking 2000mg of Fish Oil a night.

Seroquel - 15% Removed around 5% per 2 months. Slowing down to make sure.

Proof of current medication: https://imgur.com/a/JTi423y

On 11/4/2018 at 9:17 AM, risperdalhater said:

Yes I recovered. My original symptoms were akathisa, very weak muscles/joints, anxiety and a deep depression/emotional numbness.

I am severely depressed and I'm currently tapering Seroquel. I'm doing a very slow taper and worried I shouldn't take it off. I feel more relieved that I can recover thank you.

<2014 - antidepressant, unknown, CT

2014 - cocktail of medication, unknown

2014> - Psychiatrist tapered everything and prescribed Seroquel 600mg, Latuda 80mg, Clonazepam 5mg

2020 - Seroquel 600mg

2022 - October: got prescribed Lexapro 5mg due to worsening symptoms, I only took it 2 to three times. I stopped due to severe side effects. Got prescribed Seroquel 700mg to help crisis. Took Fish Oil thrice the recommended amount and symptoms improved after suffering for 8 to 9 years. Reduced back to Seroquel 600mg. Now taking the recommended supplements of SA, Fish Oil and Magnesium.

2023 - Not taking Magnesium for now for side effects. Taking a lot of Vitamin D around 3000IU. Mental health significantly improved like night and day after a month. Not very hyper and mentally in chaos and finally able to feel peace. Taking 2000mg of Fish Oil a night.

Seroquel - 15% Removed around 5% per 2 months. Slowing down to make sure.

Proof of current medication: https://imgur.com/a/JTi423y

I completely removed Abilify 5mg three weeks ago after gradually lowering it. I feel even more depressed than before: a lot of apathy, anhedonia. 

Since my first psychotic break I always struggle with this: anhedonia, apathy, no emotions, no motivation. But after retiring Abilify I feel really worst in that aspect.

I was given it for schizophrenia but I believe I have major depressive disorder.

I am hesitating whether to medicate again with an antidepressant or continue to hold off.

What opinions do you have?

32 years old. Male. Schizophrenia: postive sympthoms at 21 and 23 years old. Then coping with negative sympthoms (anhedonia, apathy). Nowadays working and with nice social support. 

2012 - 2020: Risperdal 10mg to Abilify 7.5mg then Switching to Abilify 2.5mg, other times 5mg/2.5mg alternating days... ; 2018: Started lamotrigine 50mg. 5mg/2.5mg Abilify alternating

2019: Tapering cold turkey lamotrigine 50mg. 5mg/2.5mg Abilify alternating

2021 - March: I discovered SurvivingAntidepressants, thanks to Altostrata and the website's community. Started with 3.6mg Abilify, hold Lamotrigine(50mg)

2021 April: 3.2mg Abilify, Lamotrigine 50mg; 2021 May: 2.9 mg Abilify, Lamotrigine 50mg; 2021 June: tried hold 2.9mg Abilify, finally return to 3.2mg. Lamotrigine 50mg

2022 July: 2mg Abilify, Cymbalta 30mg. 

2022 August: 1.5mg Abilify, Cymbalta only 10 beads.

2022 September: 1mg Abilify, 150mg Wellbutrin. At this moment, I honestly think that I need some meds to live in good conditions.

2023 February: 0mg Abilify, 0mg Cymbalta. I'm quite fine at this moment. I hope in the future also.

Hi! 

Don't take any other stuff. It will make it more complicated and not helping u. I would more think about to get back to a lower dose abilify and taper it slowly. With 2 mg abilify around 80 % of ur dopa receptors are blocked. So 5 mg is already high. No wonders about ur symptoms with that. It's normal. Please ask the taper specialist herehow to get back on a good dose which will relief ur symptoms a bit. And than slowly taper it over long time. 

Greetings dog 

09/2018 Quetiapin 100 mg 8 weeks 

10/2018 Prozac 20 mg 2 weeks 

05/2019 - 10/2019 abilify 2.5 mg

12/2019-03/2020 Moclobemid 600

01/2020 - 04/2020 Lithium 1125

03/2020 8 ketamin injections

05/2020 drug free 

11/2020 lots of improvements 

12/2020 cigs crash, huge setback 

07/2021 a bit better but far from my state in autumn 2020

01/2024 I crashed again 2022. I live an disabled life and start to think it's forever 

Oh sorry. U tapered. I didn't recognize before. Sorry 

05/2020 drug free 

01/2024 I crashed again 2022. I live an disabled life and start to think it's forever 

Thank you Altostrata!!! 

A Mikhaila Peterson podcast led me to this website, I found the way to taper the drug I was ingesting , executed what I learnt and  now I am off the neurotoxin I had in my system.

I am today in extremely good health- of body, mind and spirit. And I am grateful to God for giving me back my strength.

I followed the standard tapering protocol recommended on this website. The last time I ingested the drug (Aripiprazole) was 4 months ago.

I guess I was lucky to be one of the people who got no withdrawal symptoms. I did an extremely slow taper though, that lasted for one whole year approximately.

While I was on the drug, I barely talked, almost never laughed, stopped watching youtube videos and movies, slept for almost 14 hours everyday, and even after waking up never felt good. I couldn't read without getting up and pacing back and forth in my room. There was an unease in me, a restlesness.  I did almost nothing to further my education or career. I missed the wedding ceremony of my childhood best friend. Time that will never come back. Unnecessary meaningless suffering.

When I searched online, for how to stop this neurotoxin, at first all I found was countless horror stories about how hard it was to come off this drug. But then I found the likes of Altostrata and all the others I am sure the people here are familiar with. I once again had hope.

I recommend those who read this to obviously take the tapering methods, from the likes of Altostrata and others who have done such a good job.

I personally did the 10% reduction of the last dose, held it for three weeks, and kept repeating this almost till the end. While I reached the final stages and the doses where extremely small ( I used to make a water suspension of the drug, and used syringes to ingest it in my mouth), I did get braver and started making bigger reductions. But I recommend all to follow the best practice of tapering, as I said, written by the likes of Altostrata.

I could write a lot about this whole episode of my life. For those who do read this, do take this away from here- it is possible. Never lose hope. Never give up. These drugs where meant for only the severely mentally ill among us, not for those going through a rough patch in their lives. But these drugs are overprescribed, by good intentioned, but severely incompetent psychiatrists,  a majority of whom not surprisingly,  themselves choose to visit a psychologist rather than take these drugs. Do they believe themselves to be superior to us?

Forgive. Forgive them for yourself. And wish them well from the bottom of your heart. 

All the horrors I went through, at times believing that I will remain a man, who will never regain the strength of his mind, have I believe accelerated my development in some deep way. There is now in me an urgency to do good in this world, to make the world a better place. Should I not be grateful for this?

“If we prescribed relational support, walks, exercise, animal contact, rest, nutrition, insightful films/literature, basic financial support, community activity, rather than only psych-drugs, I venture our nation's woeful mental health outcomes would at last significantly improve.”   -Dr James Davies PhD

2021 February-September Abilify 5mg

2021 September                 Abilify 4.5mg                                  (from here onwards the reductions were made after every 3 weeks)

Abilify 4mg then 3.5mg then 3mg, 2.5mg, 2mg, 1.5mg, 1mg

2022 March                       Abilify 0.7mg

2022 April                          Abilify 0.5mg

2022 May                          Abilify 0.35 mg

2022 May                          Abilify 0.25mg

2022 June                         Abilify 0.18mg

2022 July                          Abilify 0.13mg

2022 August                     Abilify 0.09mg

2022 August                     Abilify 0.06mg

2022 September              Abilify 0.03mg     (DONE!!! Been on 0 mg of this poison since then) 🙂

Hey! 

Ähm I can't forgive them from the bottom of my heart. For me seems like this only can say someone get over it pretty fast. Wtf. Why should I? I think the most of them minimum got a clue of what they are doing. I heard alot of time that most pdocs never would take this drugs. I think there was also a study about it. This shows alot. For me they are all rediculous overpaid clowns. Same time pretty danger for ppl getting in trouble and search for help. 

Greetings dog 

05/2020 drug free 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 5:02 PM, Marsha said:

I had to stop taking the antipsychotic geodon at 40 mgs after 12 years on high doses. Couldn't complete my taper due to tardive dyskenisia manifesting itself. I am about four months off and I am definitely recovering.

What supplements did you take during recovery?

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

On 4/7/2016 at 4:53 PM, Shep said:

I'm off all meds after taking cocktails of antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzos, z-drugs, etc. for 30 years. You name it, I took it. 

But I'm free now, off all drugs for almost 11 months, and slowly healing. 

Did you ct off them

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

I'm off Risperdal... But I'm struggling in life. 

Nothing feels real... There's no pleasure... Feeling dizzy, purposeless, lazy, vibrations on the back of my head... 

I deserve another chance to live. But I kinda want to die... There's no joy in living a life with so much limitations and pain. Other people don't understand...  It makes me feel frustrated and misunderstood. 

This feels like an evil videogame or something. 

I started both on early October 2022:

*Risperdal 3 mg at 7 pm(Initially 2 mg then 1 mg and after quitting cold turkey on November 12th  2022 It went up to 3 mg on November 17th. I lasted only one week cold turkey)

*Carbamazepine 400 mg - 200 mg at 8 am / 200 mg at 8 pm ( initially 200 mg in the morning then I quit cold turkey on November 12th 2022 and was put under 400 mg on November 17th 2022)

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2016 at 12:12 AM, Meimeiquest said:

Well, I stopped Zyprexa in 2012 and I consider myself completely recovered. But it was an 8 mo taper, not CT. If you are struggling I would really recommend reinstatement and a proper taper. 3 yrs before that a dr. tried me on 50% reductions and it was impossible.

What dose had you been on for and how long please? Did you do a slow taper? 5/10%

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I just posted the following on my thread. It is looking like I may be as healed up from the Seroquel as I am going to get for now due to my other meds causing problems. Here are links to my last 2 updates.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=641157

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=641138

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 5:03 AM, RedPanda20 said:

I'm off Risperdal... But I'm struggling in life. 

Nothing feels real... There's no pleasure... Feeling dizzy, purposeless, lazy, vibrations on the back of my head... 

I deserve another chance to live. But I kinda want to die... There's no joy in living a life with so much limitations and pain. Other people don't understand...  It makes me feel frustrated and misunderstood. 

This feels like an evil videogame or something. 

When I was on that drug I was more functional than on the olanzapine.  It was less sedating.  But I remember some early mornings my brain would just be churning in restless sleep, trying to solve some unnamed seemingly work-related problem I could never remember when I woke up.

I didn't have to taper off it in the end, but I'm not sure olanzapine is easier to.

It's over 18 months since I took my last dose of major tranquiliser.  It took a while to get the weight off, but I'm fairly lean now.  My career change is well underway.  My relationships are heaps better, new and old.  Many of the friendships that suffered during the healing process are starting to resolve again.  It doesn't stop being a bumpy ride once you get to zero, in my experience, but there's not been a moment I would consider going back to any psych drug except perhaps an occasional benzo or two a year as prescribed by G.P for those really big life stresses.

Trauma therapy continues to be a must in my case, but it's opened up whole different levels now.

There is a great deal of anger and grief to process still, but I am coming to the view that relatively complete healing is in range.

And on top of that, surviving these kinds of experiences gives you wisdom that will serve you better than many who are fortunate enough not to have been kicked onto that path.

Cheers

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 3 weeks later...
On 30.11.2016 at 01:28, Happy2Heal said:

Sadece gençliğimde bir akıl hastanesinde zorla uyuşturulduğumda stelazin kullanıyordum. İlginç bir şekilde, taburcu olduğumda bana bir Rx kor verdiklerini hatırlamıyorum ... Her zaman bunun biz vahşi ve çılgın gençler için daha çok kimyasal bir kısıtlama olduğuna inandım. 😕

Herhangi bir WD semptomunu hatırlamazdım, ama onu almaktan distoni yaşadım ve sanırım cogentin verildi. Artan mı? bu 70'lerdeydi, dikkat edin, uzun zaman önce

Bir devlet hastanesinde sabırsız bir şekilde aylarca Haldol almak zorunda kaldım - hastane dışına asla götürmedim. Dozumu değiştirdiklerinde ve bu yan etki için bir ilaç verildiğinde haldolden akatezi oldum.

beklemeyin, hastanenin dışında BİR hap haldol aldım ve anında intihara meyilliydim, bu yüzden ilacın benim için kötü olduğunu biliyordum.

Aşırı yorgun olduğumu ve uzun süre uyuduğumu hatırlamama rağmen, herhangi bir WD etkisini hatırlamıyorum, bu bir WD semptomu olabilir, bilmiyorum

Bir "manik dönem" için zyprexa kullanıyordum ve bunu CTed (ama aynı zamanda depakote'yi de CT'ledim) Daha sonra nefes almanın acıttığı ezici bir depresyon geçirdim, ayrıca çok fazla endişem vardı ve bunun için klonopin alıyordum. . Düşündüğümde olan birçok şeyin WD semptomları olduğunu hayal ediyorum ama hiçbir zaman bağlantı kuramadım ve tabii ki, doktor asla WD'de olduğumu önermedi.

En az bir, belki iki yıl boyunca çok yüksek dozda seroquel kullanıyordum? Ct'ing'den kaynaklanan ciddi WD semptomlarım vardı ama o zamanlar bunun ne olduğunu bilmiyordum. Kalp atışım çok yüksek olduğu için atenalol almak zorunda kaldım. Bundan kalıcı kalp kası hasarım var, ancak kalbimin işlevini bozacak kadar değil (atenololden değil, kalp atış hızım tedavi edilmeden ÖNCE çok uzun süre çok yüksek olduğu için) Şanslıyım ki güçlü bir kalbim var. ile başlayın, bu nedenle hasar artık benim için bir endişe kaynağı değil.

O sırada risperdal, trilafon vb. Her türlü farklı ilaç arasında geçiş yapıyordum ve bu nedenle, aynı anda eşya yan etkileri ve WD oluyor.

Şaşırtıcı bir şekilde, tüm bunlardan sonra kızımı bekar bir anne olarak büyütüyordum ve bunda iyi bir iş çıkardım!

10 yılı aşkın bir süredir herhangi bir antipsikotik kullanmıyorum ve BT ve birden fazla ilaç olduğunu düşünsem bile, en kötü WD'den bile bir yıl veya daha kısa sürede kurtulduğuma inanıyorum.

Bununla birlikte, uyuşturucudan arınmış değildim - 1990'lardan beri bir SSRI (önce zoloft, sonra celexa ve sonra lexapro) kullanıyorum.

Henüz uyuşturucudan kurtulmuş değilim, yaklaşık 13 yıl kullandıktan sonra o lexapro'yu azaltıyorum

ama neredeyse orada!! Neredeyse!!!!

Thank for this story. These stories give me hope. I am a risperdal victim and I am trying to heal. You have a huge past with antipsychotics. If you have recovered I can recover too. 

"PSYCHIATRY IS THE DARK AGES OF HUMAN MIND"

Amitriptyline 201?-2019

Mirtazapine 10 mg 2021-2022-2023 April last dose was 29 June 2023 - then she threw away mirtazapine 

Paroksetin 10 mg (2 weeks) 2023 March

Risperidone 0.5 mg March 2023 (1 week usage) 

Escitalopram 10 mg 2023 April (used 1 month, but it was an irregular use) 

Free from all drugs now

Currently fighting with PSSD 

💪

• 2 weeks later...

im not going to sugar coat my experience recovering Im going to say exactly how it is to help other men in a similar situation as me. Ive been on risperdal, abilify, latuda, seroquel, geodon, pretty much every modern anti psychotic with 80mg prozac since the age of 15 spanning 5 years. Ive been off all drugs 8 years now. First some good: I have regained significant self agency sentience and intelligence. Im able to work a full time job. Recovery does happen, although you will never be like you were before the drugs in my opinion. My perception of reality and feeling of energy around me sense of smell is still extremely stunted and strange.

The increased sentience and self awareness, as great as it is, is also in a way negative, ive become extremely anti social and hateful towards everyone after regaining the ability to self reflect and ruminate on previous traumas, the modern world , brain damage and psychosis from these drugs, how these drugs effected my body. I was more friendly and honestly more compatible as a "good" human when I was a infantalized retard who spent all day playing videogames.

I developed extreme body dysphoria after coming off these drugs and regaining body self awareness. I was morbidly obese had glandular breast tissue like a women and an infant sized micro penis that didnt grow at all during puberty. I already had issues with my penis being born with hypospadias, it and childhood trauma were the reason I ended up in a psychiatric office in the first place. I have extreme discomfort and restlessness in my body that hasnt gone away even after completely transforming it abusing steroids. Im 220 pounds lean with abs and i still have the same restlessness in my body as when I looked like a tranny.

I know this could be considered grim message but looking at this site and all these women posting here and their situations that dont really apply to us It got me thinking about how much I would have appreciated knowing that there were other men out there in a similar situation as me and the reality of it. This is the reality, you just have to keep getting stronger. The lives of men like us have a purpose too, we all just have to keep getting stronger mentally and physically

• 5 weeks later...

I previously posted about being about 80% recovered. As of today I am calling it recovered from Seroquel. I posted about it on my thread and here is a link to that thread which provides the details of what is going on.

Dear anti-psychotic survivors, I am in need of some advice.

I am one year and a bit off causative medication (metoclopramide, taken for 1 month, then on and off 3 months, an old anti-psychotic used as an anti-emetic). I suffered through grueling akathisia as a result of that and the subsequent prescription cascade that, obviously, only made me worst (one dose of seroquel that sent me running around the apartment; biperiden for about a month; a mood stabilizer for a couple weeks; tandospirone for a month; mirtazapine for almost a year, finished tapering two months ago, and emergency clonazepam.

As of now, I am 2 months off the mirtazapine, 1 year off all anti-psychotic medication, my last emergency benzo was 8 months ago.

That grueling akathisia feeling, the frantic movement and pacing, is gone, even the nervousness is much subsided. I have a degree of terror that comes and goes.

The thing is, there is 1) a lingering sense of discomfort that makes it very hard or impossible to relax; 2) a piercing/burning and or being tickled from the inside in the neck or upper spine, very unsettling.

I have in mind three possible explanations for these symptoms:

I) Would this be still possibly a lingering effect of the anti-psychotic and prescription cascade 1 plus year off?

II) Is this more likely to be histamine related given that I came off the mirtazapine 2/3 months ago?

III) Could this largely be a result of trauma, limbic system fear that is translating into physical symptoms?

Thank you!

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/