Does anyone suffer from a sort of intensified "Impostor Syndrome"?

FightingForHope

I was wondering if this is typical: an intense sense of being a fake and a liar, an impostor - no matter how much proof you have or are given to the contrary. It's more than a fear of being judged, it's that and more; I have this irrational and persistent fear that I will be "found out" and "unmasked"... as what, I am not sure, because when I am thinking clearly it doesn't make much sense. I've read that it is not an uncommon thing, but I experience it daily, painfully and in a panic. So I sometimes over compensate, in uncalled for ways, like the over sharing of truths the other person doesn't even care about. Does this make sense to anyone?

About 20 year history on and off SSRIs, beginning with Prozac 20mg (?)

then Lexapro (from which I unwittingly did a traumatic and disastrous cold turkey)

then last 14 years on Paxil 20mg, then 10mg, with unsuccessful attempts at cessation

Finally successfully tapered from 20mg to 0 over the last year. Last dose was on 12/11/2015.

I was also prescribed Clonazepam concomitantly for anxiety, to take as needed. I took about 0.125mg to 0.5mg, 0 to twice weekly (?). Stopped taking altogether beginning April 2016.

Overall my recollection of this timeline is scattered - lots of life and doctor changes, moves, poor record keeping on my part, and my memory has not been the best lately, but I am noticing improvements.

Also took antihistamines and decongestants for years for chronic allergies, all of which I also stopped Dec 2015.

Currently taking fish oil, pro-biotics, Vit. D for deficiency, and Magnesium (but only occasionally).

End of April 2016 started taking Trader Joe's "Calming Sleep Formula" which seemed to help; it is L-Theanine 200mg, 5-HTP 30mg, and Melatonin 3mg - but I read 5-HTP affects serotonin, so I am going to stop that also, and try only Melatonin instead.

• Moderator Emeritus

It makes sense to me and sounds like you might be describing an aspect of DP/DR. DP or depersonalization can be described as feeling like a stranger to yourself.

See: Derealization or Depersonalization - Symptoms and self ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to let you know - I think "Imposter Syndrome" would be a spectrum - 

at the mild end is just the human condition - nearly all of us feel at some time or another that we're faking it.

We're not really that good at what we do, or have low self esteem.

There could be more extreme versions of this, where you may have depersonalization feelings like the person inhabiting your body is not you, or that people around you are acting, putting on a show for your benefit, and that they are not really your friends, your family, etc.

But even on the extreme end, it does not necessarily warrant "diagnosis."  

I reckon it's part of the human experience, and that withdrawal can turn it into a rumination, a depersonalization, a derealization, a neuro-emotion - amplifying the normal emotion and thought to what feels like an unreal level.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting FFH. I've never heard of it before as a distinct component of protracted withdrawal syndrome.

As your experience is in the context of protracted withdrawal , I'm not sure an independent diagnosis is warranted.

"I've read that it is not an uncommon thing,"

Please could you provide some links to references for us.

Thanks , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello all,

In reading the link, it does seem like it could be an aspect of DP/DR, that is interesting. On a certain level I do realize it is the human condition; I've just been feeling it intensely and was curious if it was somewhat typical of WD. I actually wasn't thinking of it as a separate "diagnosis" necessarily - I was rather looking for a way to describe how I've been feeling. It does makes sense that it would be a neuro-emotion or an aspect of DR/DP.

Fresh, I wish I could remember where I read the article I picked it up from; it was not in relation to AD withdrawal though. It was a while ago, and it occurred to me the other day in exasperation.

Thanks for your insights guys!

then Lexapro (from which I unwittingly did a traumatic and disastrous cold turkey)

then last 14 years on Paxil 20mg, then 10mg, with unsuccessful attempts at cessation

Finally successfully tapered from 20mg to 0 over the last year. Last dose was on 12/11/2015.

I was also prescribed Clonazepam concomitantly for anxiety, to take as needed. I took about 0.125mg to 0.5mg, 0 to twice weekly (?). Stopped taking altogether beginning April 2016.

Overall my recollection of this timeline is scattered - lots of life and doctor changes, moves, poor record keeping on my part, and my memory has not been the best lately, but I am noticing improvements.

Also took antihistamines and decongestants for years for chronic allergies, all of which I also stopped Dec 2015.

Currently taking fish oil, pro-biotics, Vit. D for deficiency, and Magnesium (but only occasionally).

End of April 2016 started taking Trader Joe's "Calming Sleep Formula" which seemed to help; it is L-Theanine 200mg, 5-HTP 30mg, and Melatonin 3mg - but I read 5-HTP affects serotonin, so I am going to stop that also, and try only Melatonin instead.

I was wondering if this is typical: an intense sense of being a fake and a liar, an impostor - no matter how much proof you have or are given to the contrary. It's more than a fear of being judged, it's that and more; I have this irrational and persistent fear that I will be "found out" and "unmasked"... as what, I am not sure, because when I am thinking clearly it doesn't make much sense. I've read that it is not an uncommon thing, but I experience it daily, painfully and in a panic. So I sometimes over compensate, in uncalled for ways, like the over sharing of truths the other person doesn't even care about. Does this make sense to anyone?

This may not be a popular opinion...but that sounds like it could be a symptom of paranoid psychosis. It would be a very typical Schizophrenia symptom.

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

Well given my context of withdrawal, my age, and other symptoms of schizophrenia I don't have, I'm inclined to think that's not it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I know what you mean.  I call it my hypocritical judgement on self or simplified.......my hypocrite.  And yah......the DP/DR stuff talked about here.

It's kind of interesting.  A test really.........how well do you know yourself?  I mean until we are put in situations that we thought we would know how we would be and then maybe faltered a bit........redefined what matters............something like that.

I could see the psych labels too.......those just aren't helpful in healing though..........for me anyway.........takes awhile to undo that stuff.......the labeling........the focus on disturbance/illness.  I don't know......maybe it helps you GhOst..........that's fine too.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Well given my context of withdrawal, my age, and other symptoms of schizophrenia I don't have, I'm inclined to think that's not it.

The disease can come at any time in your life, although it is common younger, you are right. You don't need all symptoms to have it, and many people don't. It's more of a spectrum than it is "you have it" or "you don't".

Schizophrenia is implicated with many of the same receptors as SSRIs.

My point: don't go get meds for it. Even if it were a symptom, you likely wouldn't have a clinical case. Just watch it, and know that by definition, it's a delusion: Because you know it's not true but it's a persistant paranoia that you are lying or an impostor.That doesn't mean that it wasn't caused by the SSRI, because it very well could be from the stress of withdrawal on your body. 

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I know what you mean, I've felt like that before at times during my multi drug multi withdrawal years. Scared of being found out but no idea why. I would have nightmares about being arrested and not knowing what for, has my memory gone? Did I do something bad?  Ignored the door and stopped speaking to people. 

At my worst I would 'confess' to people stupid things that had blown out of proportion. This only started after being prescribed drugs but can't remember now at what point or which drugs. Definitely drug or withdrawal related. Does this sound similar?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

This may not be a popular opinion...but that sounds like it could be a symptom of paranoid psychosis. It would be a very typical Schizophrenia symptom.

I think that is interesting as there have been times in wd I would have dx myself with this and had the found out feelings the confession syndrome to people who did not give a ****... both.  

It is all part of drug use/wd these drugs and the wd from them change our brain chemistry which controls such things and in time it will end.  Till then it will come and go bit of a dance for me with a lot of different varieties.  

I think anyone who is truthful and been on meds for years will have a grab bag full of odd symptoms so much so that many of us may get the catch all dx of ptsd... to me this is the last of a long line of dx it went from ssri to treat real pain from real reasons  to chronic fatigue fibromyalgia and more of the same family of drugs to treat that... to now your clinically depressed to... woops and anxiety disorder the list kept growing... ocd and many other things till I landed on the all encompassing ptsd which means I can have all the others at the same time ... all symptoms under one umbrella ella ...ella ella... lol yep that is how it goes or how I see it going. 

At the end of the day your body it a bit messed up by drugs and it is trying to sort it out along the way there will be glitches.... maybe many of them and of different sorts.  

I see you have long term use under your belt to me that makes this all the more likely this is all drug/wd related and in time it will settle down.  Don't be surprised or dismayed if it comes and goes for a long time and try not to worry too much about this being a new dx I am sure since these drugs came to market there are many new terms and syndromes that have come to life because of them... keep in mind no matter what they call it it is still wd... and even well meaning people can be lead astray if they don't know the truth of these drugs... many of us were fooled for years by them but not being fooled any longer or lead astray by them and the litany of crap (bull) that goes with them is not easy when you have drank the cool aid for so long already it is hard to cut the line and just say no... (once you have tapered I hope you did taper)  

I kept a shrink online with me for a couple of years post ct even tho I had no intention of taking any drugs I did this out of fear and the fact that on wd sites I had things others did not have... (in part likely caused by my long term use 18 years and cold turkey stopping) As I have lived more and learned more and watched wd sites I see all my crap in them... most of it at least not all in the same person all the time... but it is there. 

Like Mamma says it is all drug related and it is hard to believe in the early days but it has panned out for me.. and others.  If only we knew sooner it may have spared us such long term use. 

Overall my recollection of this timeline is at present scattered - lots of life and doctor changes, moves, and currently impaired memory. I need to get all my records straight."

For now give yourself a break and try not to worry about this one too much as it is not worth the energy tho I know it is hard not to get stuck on it... this is part of the process of healing tho it does not feel like it. 

It will end... when it is time. 

I was the same as you in this..."

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus

This is really interesting. I have a lot of problems with dp/dr (it's my worst symptom), and I do worry that my lack of sanity (or self-perceived) lack of sanity may be found out.

Also, for really long term users of psych drugs, knowing who you are can be problematic. The "real" me was masked for 30 years, and a lot has happened during that time that changed who I was.

This very process is also changing (and challenging) me. 

FightingForHope, if you can look at it with an air of "curiosity", it may help with the fear. That's one technique that I find helpful when I'm feeling this way. Like others have said, it's withdrawal related, as frightening as it is. 

"for really long term users of psych drugs, knowing who you are can be problematic. The "real" me was masked for 30 years, and a lot has happened during that time that changed who I was."

EXACTLY!!!!

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Thank you so much guys. Talking about this really helps. Although I think you are right maymoretodays, the labels don't seem to help, they freak me out even more. I am chalking this up to another symptom.

I think I know what you mean, I've felt like that before at times during my multi drug multi withdrawal years. Scared of being found out but no idea why. I would have nightmares about being arrested and not knowing what for, has my memory gone? Did I do something bad?  Ignored the door and stopped speaking to people. 

At my worst I would 'confess' to people stupid things that had blown out of proportion. This only started after being prescribed drugs but can't remember now at what point or which drugs. Definitely drug or withdrawal related. Does this sound similar?

MammaP, it does sound similar. Not in the sense that I think I may have committed a crime and forgot, but the fear of being found out for a moral infraction maybe, or something in retrospect pretty small. Misplaced guilt. It must be drug related - I don't remember being like this prior to meds, and I may have felt it to a lesser degree while on meds. Possibly I've simply been scared that people will find out my situation and label be crazy. This whole ordeal has been scary from the beginning.

"for really long term users of psych drugs, knowing who you are can be problematic. The "real" me was masked for 30 years, and a lot has happened during that time that changed who I was."

EXACTLY!!!!

Yes, this is so true, and the scariest thing of all almost! What direction do I lead my life in if I don't know who I am? What am I doing? It's been a problem for me.

I think that is interesting as there have been times in wd I would have dx myself with this and had the found out feelings the confession syndrome to people who did not give a ****... both.  

It is all part of drug use/wd these drugs and the wd from them change our brain chemistry which controls such things and in time it will end.  Till then it will come and go bit of a dance for me with a lot of different varieties.  

I think anyone who is truthful and been on meds for years will have a grab bag full of odd symptoms

At the end of the day your body it a bit messed up by drugs and it is trying to sort it out along the way there will be glitches.... maybe many of them and of different sorts.  

I see you have long term use under your belt to me that makes this all the more likely this is all drug/wd related and in time it will settle down.  Don't be surprised or dismayed if it comes and goes for a long time and try not to worry too much about this being a new dx I am sure since these drugs came to market there are many new terms and syndromes that have come to life because of them... keep in mind no matter what they call it it is still wd... and even well meaning people can be lead astray if they don't know the truth of these drugs... many of us were fooled for years by them but not being fooled any longer or lead astray by them and the litany of crap (bull) that goes with them is not easy when you have drank the cool aid for so long already it is hard to cut the line and just say no... (once you have tapered I hope you did taper)  

I kept a shrink online with me for a couple of years post ct even tho I had no intention of taking any drugs I did this out of fear and the fact that on wd sites I had things others did not have... (in part likely caused by my long term use 18 years and cold turkey stopping) As I have lived more and learned more and watched wd sites I see all my crap in them... most of it at least not all in the same person all the time... but it is there. 

Like Mamma says it is all drug related and it is hard to believe in the early days but it has panned out for me.. and others.  If only we knew sooner it may have spared us such long term use. 

Overall my recollection of this timeline is at present scattered - lots of life and doctor changes, moves, and currently impaired memory. I need to get all my records straight."

For now give yourself a break and try not to worry about this one too much as it is not worth the energy tho I know it is hard not to get stuck on it... this is part of the process of healing tho it does not feel like it. 

It will end... when it is time. 

I was the same as you in this..."

Thanks btdt, I am not going to look for any more reasons other than the wd. In reading others' experiences like yourself, it does seem that's what it is. I am dealing with so many other awful feelings right now, I don't need any more dxs or meds.  I just can't wait for it to end. I am so impatient.

This is really interesting. I have a lot of problems with dp/dr (it's my worst symptom), and I do worry that my lack of sanity (or self-perceived) lack of sanity may be found out.

Also, for really long term users of psych drugs, knowing who you are can be problematic. The "real" me was masked for 30 years, and a lot has happened during that time that changed who I was.

This very process is also changing (and challenging) me. 

FightingForHope, if you can look at it with an air of "curiosity", it may help with the fear. That's one technique that I find helpful when I'm feeling this way. Like others have said, it's withdrawal related, as frightening as it is. 

Shep I too worry my lack of mental fortitude/sanity will be found out, sometimes I end up over compensating by trying to be perfect at whatever I'm doing, even if it's just a casual interaction. It's exhausting and stupid, and doesn't make the fear go away why would it.

I have tried to 'distance' myself from it all, as an observer, with curiosity. It does help me keep it in check, but not for long, and if I get distracted by trying to move on with my life, it starts all over. It's been a quick cycling of windows and waves recently. But thanks for the tip, I will keep in mind, things are bound to get better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Shep I too worry my lack of mental fortitude/sanity will be found out, sometimes I end up over compensating by trying to be perfect at whatever I'm doing, even if it's just a casual interaction. It's exhausting and stupid, and doesn't make the fear go away why would it.

I have tried to 'distance' myself from it all, as an observer, with curiosity. It does help me keep it in check, but not for long, and if I get distracted by trying to move on with my life, it starts all over. It's been a quick cycling of windows and waves recently. But thanks for the tip, I will keep in mind, things are bound to get better.

Some people who've been through this and made it to the other side say that psych drug withdrawal can be a "gateway" into mindfulness. I'm finding that to be true.

The fact that you're already using the "observer" technique is good. And yes, it does start over and over again, especially with the waves that invariably start crashing in unpredictably. That's why many people who survive this come out into the other side as sages - every time you get distracted away from the "observer", it's an opportunity to practice mindfulness and return to the "observer". Again and again. It's the practice of mindfulness.

One of the many "gifts" we can get from this very difficult journey is to lose the "imposter" and come away with whatever baseline we choose to create for ourselves. No rules. No boundaries. We get to create this. After all of this chaos ends, just a quiet peace of mind. That's the take away I'm getting from this journey so far.

The "imposter" is a temporary state until healing happens. Yes, you said it - "things are bound to get better".

There's an inverse to OP's condition that hits a small portion of Veterans. Capgras syndrome, which is where the person is fractured mentally, and believes their families have been replaced with imposters, and this disorder comes from in part, atrophying of amygdala nuclei, and cortical abnormalties which may be manifested by lesions to certain parts of the brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC37410/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18071040

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

Some people who've been through this and made it to the other side say that psych drug withdrawal can be a "gateway" into mindfulness. I'm finding that to be true.

The fact that you're already using the "observer" technique is good. And yes, it does start over and over again, especially with the waves that invariably start crashing in unpredictably. That's why many people who survive this come out into the other side as sages - every time you get distracted away from the "observer", it's an opportunity to practice mindfulness and return to the "observer". Again and again. It's the practice of mindfulness.

One of the many "gifts" we can get from this very difficult journey is to lose the "imposter" and come away with whatever baseline we choose to create for ourselves. No rules. No boundaries. We get to create this. After all of this chaos ends, just a quiet peace of mind. That's the take away I'm getting from this journey so far.

The "imposter" is a temporary state until healing happens. Yes, you said it - "things are bound to get better".

Thanks Shep; this is insightful and something to look forward to - that blessed peace of mind. It's a shame so often it seems impossible to distance myself from the misery, but I try to. Being mindful of my state and this process is the only thing that has gotten me through these months, being able to keep my job, and not let my life (what little I have left of one) fall apart. Having said that, I use the term "mindful" as I understand it, but I am not very familiar with the practice of mindfulness per se. I will look into it more.

A good sign I think; the impostor feeling hasn't been as strong this past week. Not long, but it's encouraging, that the 'chaos' should end.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Shep; this is insightful and something to look forward to - that blessed peace of mind. It's a shame so often it seems impossible to distance myself from the misery, but I try to. Being mindful of my state and this process is the only thing that has gotten me through these months, being able to keep my job, and not let my life (what little I have left of one) fall apart. Having said that, I use the term "mindful" as I understand it, but I am not very familiar with the practice of mindfulness per se. I will look into it more.

A good sign I think; the impostor feeling hasn't been as strong this past week. Not long, but it's encouraging, that the 'chaos' should end.

Being able to work during this is really amazing, FFH. Give yourself tons of credit for that. 

There's a really cool eight-week, online mindfulness workshop for free that you might enjoy  - http://palousemindfulness.com/

I'm still not able to sit still long enough to do anything structured. I need to pace a lot still. But I found that having mindfulness videos playing on YouTube is working wonders. I put a few of my favorites in this post - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6122-guided-meditations-calming-videos-sleep-hypnosis/?p=215837

That thread is technically about mindfulness for sleep, but I use them during the day, too. The ones by Mooji are my favorite. I saw in your Intro thread that you mention ASMR. I use some ASMR videos for sleep and find them helpful.

I hope I haven't taken your thread too far off topic and that these resources are helpful. I'm glad the imposter feeling hasn't been as strong this week. That is indeed a good sign. Rest assured, the chaos will end and you will feel much more "authentic" and less of an imposter. 

Being able to work during this is really amazing, FFH. Give yourself tons of credit for that. 

There's a really cool eight-week, online mindfulness workshop for free that you might enjoy  - http://palousemindfulness.com/

I'm still not able to sit still long enough to do anything structured. I need to pace a lot still. But I found that having mindfulness videos playing on YouTube is working wonders. I put a few of my favorites in this post - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6122-guided-meditations-calming-videos-sleep-hypnosis/?p=215837

That thread is technically about mindfulness for sleep, but I use them during the day, too. The ones by Mooji are my favorite. I saw in your Intro thread that you mention ASMR. I use some ASMR videos for sleep and find them helpful.

I hope I haven't taken your thread too far off topic and that these resources are helpful. I'm glad the imposter feeling hasn't been as strong this week. That is indeed a good sign. Rest assured, the chaos will end and you will feel much more "authentic" and less of an imposter. 

Thanks Shep!  :blush:  I have had a very understanding and kind boyfriend by my side who has been helping me through it immensely; I wonder whether I could have kept working and going had I been alone through this. I had a terrible Lexapro cold turkey withdrawal in 2002, during which I was clueless about ADs and WD, thought I was going crazy, living at home and could not work (had terrible episodes of dp/dr, I think, at work and feared I was losing my mind - I quit and basically hid in my room at my parents', curled up in a ball). Eventually I ended back up on meds. I think surviving those terrible days has somehow tempered me for what is happening now - I am also careful and more aware/informed this time around. And I tapered.

You haven't taken the topic too far off course, this is helpful to me, and it is all interrelated. I struggle with restlessness too, so sometimes it's hard to absorb/learn new things, but I will check the links out.

I see that you have come such a long way in your process - that is inspiring!

• Moderator Emeritus

There's an inverse to OP's condition that hits a small portion of Veterans. Capgras syndrome, which is where the person is fractured mentally, and believes their families have been replaced with imposters, and this disorder comes from in part, atrophying of amygdala nuclei, and cortical abnormalties which may be manifested by lesions to certain parts of the brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC37410/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18071040

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

How much these symptoms are drug induced, we may never know.  Our veterans are one of the largest group of psych drug guinea pig populations out there.

As for atrophies and lesions, again, we never know how much of this is drug induced. Finding a "virgin brain" is getting more and more difficult in these studies.

Please keep on topic, and take care - 

Insisting on nonsense about the causes of so-called psychiatric disorders and withdrawal syndrome. You'll need to do a lot of reading and credible citations to come up with original plausible theories.

Red flags for nonsense often found in pop psychiatry:

• Reliance on the "chemical imbalance" theory or that mental disorders are due to some kind of neurotransmitter deficiency.
  • Claims that mood disorders are "brain disease,""diseased nerve pathways,""damaged signaling" etc.
  • Reliance on neuroimaging or brain scans.
  • Assigning specific functions to specific neurotransmitters ("dopamine is responsible for pleasure"). All neurotransmitters are multifunction; normal functioning depends on their all operating together.
  • Making sweeping generalizations about "depression." One huge problem in psychiatry research is that there is no one definition of "depression" and studies use different measures for it.
  • Publication in biological psychiatry journals.
  • More to come, I'm sure.

The "chemical imbalance" or "serotonin deficiency" theories for mood disorders, which were in vogue for about 20 years, have been disavowed by medicine. There never was any basis for this. If a doctor tells you that is the reason for your distress, the doctor is wrong, misinformed, or not being straightforward with you.

This is also true of alternative or "natural" practitioners. The "chemical imbalance" theory is invalid wherever it pops up.

The "chemical imbalance" theory or its variants does not bear discussing any more than does a theory that says the sun revolves around the earth. It is a waste of time. This site will not add to the dissemination of this misinformation. Expect credulous discussion of such to be discouraged on this site.

See Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please. and Ronald Pies says doctors tell patients the "chemical imbalance" lie as a favor

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi Shep,

I just wanted to say I am finding the mindfulness videos very helpful - I was able to relax and actually feel good in my skin for a bit last night, especially after this guided meditation video:

But other mindfulness videos and the http://palousemindfulness.com/ you indicated are proving helpful too...

So, thanks for the tip!

• Moderator Emeritus

You're very welcome, FFH. And thanks for posting that 20 Minute Guided Mindfulness Exercise. That sounds like a great one to use when you're trying to calm your mind and prepare for sleep. 

Please feel free to add it to this current mindfulness thread, as it will be a welcome addition: Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

I have that thread bookmarked as a go-to anytime I'm feeling restless before bed.  Eckhart Tolle is another great source of wisdom. SquirrellyGirl started this thread with some great mindfulness videos:

Eckhart Tolle: The Pain Body and Mental suffering during withdrawal

LIstening to Mooji, Eckhart Tolle, Tara Brach, Jon Kabat-Zinn, and many others have had a profound effect on my recovery, especially on filling the "void" left by this "impostor syndrome".

Being broken down by withdrawal can be the very foundation you "need". May not be the foundation any of us "want", but that doesn't mean we are permanently broken. 

You sound like you're in a better place now, FightingForHope. You've brought us from a very dark impostor vibe to a much more hopeful - and mindful - vibe.   :)

When my mother was going through cancer treatment she thought I was an imposter at one point.  He had been given a plasma transfusion after she was screaming standing on the bed in a very bad state.  When the nurse came he asked me for permission to give her something to help and I gave it.. they gave her haladol I had no clue what that was... after she had it she still did not believe I was her daughter... she said.."ya you want me to think you are but your not...none of you are who you pretend to be"  

I have not had the experience myself but I have seen it from the other side... she tried to hit me and I went to duck and hit my head on a sink about knocked myself out. Just one of the bad days. 

I had something kind of like that for a time where my dreams were so real at one point I wondered which life was real... I know that was bad too. To each their own sort of drug induced .... strangeness. I can no longer recall which drugs I was on when that occurred. 

My mother was never herself after that. So wishing you all healing return to ourselves and peace.

Had a car accident in 85

You're very welcome, FFH. And thanks for posting that 20 Minute Guided Mindfulness Exercise. That sounds like a great one to use when you're trying to calm your mind and prepare for sleep. 

Please feel free to add it to this current mindfulness thread, as it will be a welcome addition: Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

I have that thread bookmarked as a go-to anytime I'm feeling restless before bed.  Eckhart Tolle is another great source of wisdom. SquirrellyGirl started this thread with some great mindfulness videos:

Eckhart Tolle: The Pain Body and Mental suffering during withdrawal

LIstening to Mooji, Eckhart Tolle, Tara Brach, Jon Kabat-Zinn, and many others have had a profound effect on my recovery, especially on filling the "void" left by this "impostor syndrome".

Being broken down by withdrawal can be the very foundation you "need". May not be the foundation any of us "want", but that doesn't mean we are permanently broken. 

You sound like you're in a better place now, FightingForHope. You've brought us from a very dark impostor vibe to a much more hopeful - and mindful - vibe.   :)

Shep, you are correct; still struggling - and I still don't quite manage to do my mindfulness exercises regularly - but I had almost a full 8 hr sleep for two nights in a row this weekend :) 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's wonderful, FFH. 8 hours of sleep two nights in a row is like paradise around here! 

And don't worry about doing mindfulness exercises regularly. It takes too much energy for many of us to keep to schedules. As long as you remain open to the experience, the opportunity to practice again and again will always present itself.  Withdrawal makes sure of that. 

In the end, we come out of this with a bit of the Buddha in us. 

When my mother was going through cancer treatment she thought I was an imposter at one point.  He had been given a plasma transfusion after she was screaming standing on the bed in a very bad state.  When the nurse came he asked me for permission to give her something to help and I gave it.. they gave her haladol I had no clue what that was... after she had it she still did not believe I was her daughter... she said.."ya you want me to think you are but your not...none of you are who you pretend to be"  

I have not had the experience myself but I have seen it from the other side... she tried to hit me and I went to duck and hit my head on a sink about knocked myself out. Just one of the bad days. 

I had something kind of like that for a time where my dreams were so real at one point I wondered which life was real... I know that was bad too. To each their own sort of drug induced .... strangeness. I can no longer recall which drugs I was on when that occurred. 

My mother was never herself after that. So wishing you all healing return to ourselves and peace.

So sorry to hear that btdt; I haven't had those experiences, but I think you are right; to each his own AD strangeness, I guess.

Thank you for sharing your experiences ... It's great how people reach out and help each other here. It makes me feel less alone and broken.

Best wishes with your recovery as well :)

That's wonderful, FFH. 8 hours of sleep two nights in a row is like paradise around here! 

And don't worry about doing mindfulness exercises regularly. It takes too much energy for many of us to keep to schedules. As long as you remain open to the experience, the opportunity to practice again and again will always present itself.  Withdrawal makes sure of that. 

In the end, we come out of this with a bit of the Buddha in us. 

My gosh it does feel like paradise! :D  Maybe exhaustion finally simply took over at long last, hahah!

"In the end, we come out of this with a bit of the Buddha in us."

I so hope that is true!

Keep in mind Budda is in us not outside... 

One of my life lessons if you find Budda on the road kill him 

"Buddha, according to this thinking, is the pointer to enlightenment: it is not a person journeying on a road, but an expression of and pointer to our own path through life.  We are each journeying on our own road.  Finding a Buddha on that road is in effect looking outside of ourselves and making the mistake of trying to follow another person on their road.  In so doing, we forget that their road can never be ours; attempting to follow them to enlightenment is folly.  So when we find ourselves looking outside of ourselves to another and trying to walk their road, to mimic their search for enlightenment, we have to "kill" that Buddha, forget and forsake that outward seeking, and return to our own road."

We sure do a lot of wrestling with ourselves so yes I think we all find more of ourselves in wd... it can't be helped :)

peace

Had a car accident in 85

Thanks  :)  and good point btdt. I think the goal is definitely to walk one's own path, to find peace and direction from within, as a primary individual. Sifting through all this emotional noise is part of that challenge now!

Fighting: "Emotional noise" is a great way to put it...Hope you are doing okay today. Just read through this thread and was identifying with it. I am near end of multi-year taper from 20 mg/daily of Prozac and feeling intense anger, irritation, etc....Like I hate everything and everyone and am re-visiting and reliving past painful experiences, misdeeds, etc. How awful. And am having a lot of trouble concentrating on anything...even a book, and I love to read. I actually prefer the sobbing spells I was having months ago!

Am just not able to sort out what is neuro-emotion and what is me/issues I need to work on. And agree that maybe it's an aspect of DP...it feels like, "This isn't really me. Someone else is in my body or mind. WHO IS THIS?"

Also wonder if I am imagining it, as dose I am tapering from was very moderate, and my drug had long half-life. Finally, I was dx'd with breast cancer last early fall, have gotten through lumpectomy and radiation and genetic tests, etc., and am still afraid and lonely with that (even with great hubby's support).

Will keep track of this thread, and wishing you a smoother path.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

Hi Miss Serene,

Congratulations on nearing the end of your taper, that's great.

I know what you mean; the intense anger and irritation, and the other symptoms you describe ... some time this week that came creeping back to me again after a pretty good window I mentioned earlier.

It makes me question who I am too, with these spells of anger and hating, and then I think everyone around me hates me too. It's awful and impossible to shake off sometimes. Wednesday was especially intense, and I slept for barely 2 hours, the rest of the night reliving and obsessing, feeling angry, and none of my go to videos etc helped. Ugh. All I could was wait it out.

I think it all must be WD for you too, it sounds like it to me. Even if there is a grain of 'me', the heightened neuro-emotions distort and magnify everything ... sounds like you are going through a lot with your breast diagnosis too. I really hope that is resolving for the best for you. I imagine it must be scary and lonely even with a great hubby like you have; I have a supportive and patient partner but even he can only do so much, I feel lonely and scared too a lot of the time. And yes; sometimes the crying would almost be better - at least I feel like a nicer person and not so pissed off.

Today I am better though, and Friday night I had an unprecedented long sleep; almost 12 hours!!! Wow. Which I imagine is a good sign that sleep is returning, little by little. Mainly on weekends after a less stressful day. These days I am at least able to get better if I can stay away from stressors which I cannot avoid during the work week. That used to not be the case, I was just miserable 24 hours a day. I still get overwhelmed, but at least some things are improving.

There is some great info on this thread about neuro-emotions if you haven't found it already:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

I'm not an expert, but my guess is you are not making any of this up or 'imagining it', as you say. Try give yourself a break, accept that you are recovering and going through a lot, and try to be gentle with yourself when you can.

Wishing you all the best!!!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy