An ER Kicks the Habit of Opioids for Pain

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Instead of opioids, an ER in New Jersey now treats many pain patients with alternatives like laughing gas, trigger-point injections and even a therapy harp.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/health/pain-treatment-er-alternative-opioids.html?src=me

From the story:

Since Jan. 4, St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center’s emergency department, one of the country’s busiest, has been using opioids only as a last resort. For patients with common types of acute pain — migraines, kidney stones, sciatica, fractures — doctors first try alternative regimens that include nonnarcotic infusions and injections, ultrasound guided nerve blocks, laughing gas, even “energy healing” and a wandering harpist.

Scattered ERs around the country have been working to reduce opioids as a first-line treatment, but St. Joe’s, as it is known locally, has taken the efforts to a new level.

This is the coolest story ever! (A wandering harpist?)

The tide is slowly changing, baby steps, baby steps.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great!  Very optimistic.  I now wish to become a wandering harpist as well.  ?While under the influence of laughing gas.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Oh MMT, rofl!!

I just cannot imagine a wandering harpist, maybe like those little cherub things we see at Christmas? That kind of harp? Bwahahaha! They leave you hanging with these articles sometimes....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

:)   I am also impressed with your dancing Tina Turner.  I should really ask you to educated me on computer cool stuff one of these days.  Even just a suitable correct size picture of something or other for my gold star picture.    I would, however, at this point.........be your most frustrating and annoying tutoree............soon though........I shall be morphing into the utmost of patience and tolerability.

Glad you got a laugh.  I was dead serious and shopping Amazon for harps.  ;)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

MMT, you are killing me! That Amazon bit? ROFL!!!!!

Just get an image you like and post a link to it in my thread and I'll give you specific instructions on how to make it an avatar. I can even get you a dancing majig for your sig too.

Maybe something like this?

4912306f5994f35db0da43327d3fa4a7.jpg

(I keep forgetting the full post editor menu does not show up when I am using my android tablet. You have to have the full editor when working with images. )

Here's the site with all the dancing images. I am going to do a pig next haha

http://www.animatedimages.org/

animated-pig-image-0200.gif          or           animated-pig-image-0160.gif          or        animated-pig-image-0075.gif

• Moderator Emeritus

Lol......the cherub harpist.  I'll take a look and get back to you.  Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL you guys!

And here I wanted to say something REAL like Australia uses the Green Whistle.  It was invented here, and while it is toxic in doses over 30 minutes, for a short ambulance move, it is the deal.

Dentists use it too.

http://www.techly.com.au/2015/05/16/green-whistle-receives-green-light-sell-europe/

Soon coming to Europe, and American ambos are crying for it too.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Cool.  You don't have to convince me.  Aussie land rocks!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy