Cheri: Multiple Tapering

Cheri

I'm new to this site. That said, I will soon begin tapering off a twenty year dependence with Celexa (for the second time). I attempted a withdrawal in the Fall of 2013, only to begin again after mood swings, agitation and crying spells. After reading about the 10% taper method, I realize that my withdrawal was too fast especially given how long I'd been taking Celexa.

Why try again? I've discovered that a number of my health issues are related to the use of antidepressants; i.e., GERD, dry eye, weight gain (osteoarthritis of knees). These are only the side effects troubling me. I know there are others.

GERD: Medications can cause kidney issues

Dry Eye: extremely uncomfortable and life limiting especially her in the desert southwest. Restasis not the total answer, nor tear duct plugs.

Weight Gain: nearly impossible to lose even with healthy diet and exercise.

Osteoarthritis of knees: either time limiting expensive knee injections or total replacement.

I don't mean to bore anyone but I now see the ripple effects of antidepressants.

I begin my Celexa taper on October 1st and imagine it will take up to 12 months to be successful. Do I taper the GERD medication at the same time?

While I taper, I will exercise daily to increase seratonin, eat right and keep social.

• Moderator Emeritus

Cheri -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that you've had one fast taper with poor results. It's terrific that you're here before you start your next taper.  I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.

Most of us are here because our doctors are woefully undereducated about withdrawal syndrome from discontinuing SSRIs. Here's some information to educate yourself:

Before you begin - what you need to know
What is withdrawal syndrome

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years.
Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Are you currently taking any other medications -- prescription for non-psych conditions, over-the-counter, street drugs, or supplements? If so, please include those in your signature.

When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report.  Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here.

Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. Again, welcome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Cheri,

So good to hear that you are researching and preparing before you begin - it will make a big difference.  Exercising is a good idea.  A gentle walk each day, or some gentle yoga etc.  Anything too energetic can have the adverse effect of making withdrawal symptoms worse - but you'll find your personal level as you go.  Just something to be aware of. 

My favourite page on SA is Non-Drug Techniques to deal with emotional issues. It can be handy to have some ideas already up your sleeve so if things get tricky you aren't left floundering. 

It's good to have you here,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.