GeneralNovember: Mianserin

GeneralNovember

I have been on mianserin now for 10 months and it has pretty much saved my life, i was suicidal before i started to take mianserin.

Someone posted on here that people taking mianserin was gambling with thier own life, can someone explain to me why?

• Moderator Emeritus

GeneralNovember -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Here is the comment to which you are referring:

Please wake up people. Treating your symptoms with tetracyclic antidepressants is just plain stupid.

Have you not learned anything here? You are taking a gamble on your life.

It is not a condemnation of tetracyclic antidepressants. The gamble is using a second drug to treat the symptoms of the first drug. Far too many people get caught in a trap:

• have a concern, visit doctor, get prescription for drug "A",
  • take drug "A", get symptoms,
  • visit doctor, get prescription for drug "B" added to ongoing drug "A" prescription
  • take drug "B" to address symptoms of drug "A" ,
  • things are okay for a while,
  • new symptoms arise,
  • visit doctor, get prescription for drug "C" to deal with new symptoms while continuing "A" & "B"
  • find oneself on 5 or more psychotropic substances, with very low functioning in life.
I'm glad you were able to find relief from awful symptoms using mianserin. This is a site for assisting people who want to discontinue their psychiatric medications safely. If in the future you want to do that, please come back and read about safe tapering off antidepressants and other psychiatric pharmaceuticals.

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet