AmieJ: New to site..worried..

AmieJ

Hi all- I am new to this site, and while I'm glad I found it, I am so upset at what I have found out about these drugs. I was only on escitalopram 10mg for a week or so, then felt horrible (nauseous, dizzy, unable to get off couch)so reduced to 5mg for a week. On 5 mg, I physically felt a bit better but became completely flat, uninterested, emotionless...so I decided this drug was not for me (never taken an ssri)

so I reduced to 2.5 mg for a week and then stopped completely..the whole process was from 1/30/17 to 2/21/17..so just in it a few weeks..which makes it all the more unbelievable that I'm having some awful effects..not sure what to call them, withdrawal, side effects...since I reduced to 2.5 and subsequent stopping, I have had daily diarrhea, weird body aches (during the time i was taking it, the worst effect that scared me the most was heart shocks for lack of better description, about every 2 hours, sometimes waking me up)...

since stopping the stomach problems, fatigue, weird aches in back, right leg and arm and odd sensations of hot and cold going through my body are very upsetting to me..as stated, I can't believe stopping would leave me still feeling bad after 3 weeks! Is this "normal"..?? What can I expect in the next few weeks? I have tried limiting my diet, probiotics added each day, walking 20 mins per day and I'm still feeling awful physically..emotionally I'm "okay" but a bit weepy and preoccupied at times, but certainly not needing a horrible drug to "help"..

I look forward to seeing what others say and hoping for reassurance it is not all in my head, I'm not dying and I will be back to feeling like I did before I started this...which brings me to why I did start taking it..feeling a bit overwhelmed as a mom of 3, married, in graduate school,working etc, perhaps a bit peri menopausal at age 45..mentioned this to Dr, he immediately gave RX for escitalopram, I waited to fill but then heard a few friends tried it and "loved" it..said it was no big deal, helped a lot..I figured it couldn't hurt..I was wrong..maybe I'm more sensitive to meds or maybe it's the Devils drug as I've seen it referred to...any support welcome!!!

Edited by KarenB
added paragraph breaks

Started with 10mg escitalopram, felt horrible so after 1 week, I went to 5mg, then after 1 week at 5, I went to 2.5 mg for about a week, then to zero..so a total of about 3 weeks, from January 30,2017-February 21,2017...have had terrible gastrointestinal upset since I stopped..and some odd body aches..trying to determine if the escitalopram harmed me at least in the way of stressing out my gut bacteria.

Hi Amie. You are most likely suffering withdrawal symptoms even after a short exposure of a few weeks. These are strong mind altering drugs but you shouldn't have had too much brain adaptation in this short space of time.

It sounds like you were very sensitive to the effects which could be a good thing in the long run as it got you off them quite swiftly.

We often suggest reinstating a small amount of the drug back to soften the withdrawal symptoms but as you were fairly sensitive  I would probably just stay off for now. You can always reassess later down the track if you are still struggling.

Many find magnesium and fish oil helpful in w/d.

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

This link explains a little more about the process :

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Coping techniques :

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

These topics will enlighten you further :

Brain Remodelling

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Neuro emotions

Would you mind adding your drug history ? it appears below each of your posts. This link tells you how to do this :

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

This is your thread to journal progress and ask questions. Please feel free to come back with any concerns you may have. If you do decide to reinstate we can suggest a dose to start you back on.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you so much for the quick response, I appreciate it. I know it may seem odd that I'm still feeling bad after only 3 weeks on but I have no other reason for this sudden "illness" although I'm going to Dr. on Monday to see if I need some further testing for a bacterial infections, some sort of colitis...glad I am not alone and thank you again..I will do the signature you mentioned as well. Have a good day!

Started with 10mg escitalopram, felt horrible so after 1 week, I went to 5mg, then after 1 week at 5, I went to 2.5 mg for about a week, then to zero..so a total of about 3 weeks, from January 30,2017-February 21,2017...have had terrible gastrointestinal upset since I stopped..and some odd body aches..trying to determine if the escitalopram harmed me at least in the way of stressing out my gut bacteria.

Hi Amie just wanted to welcome you too

I totally agree with AliG in saying dont go back on this drug.

Im assuming you were psych drug naive prior to this experience.

In my opinion you have backed out from under its weight very wisely.

..what should you expect ..well expect the unexpected for some time. Due to your short time on the drug im sure you will find symptoms recede sooner rather than later. You will just have to be patient. You might have to be patient for a few months it will slowly get better.

This is not all in your head and we can all relate to what you are talking about.

Your friends comment suprises me and i can only assume they are medication spellbound and still on the drug. Their turn may come when they have to get off. The good thing for you is you know this is withdrawal millions dont and get hoodwinked by doctors when they return seeking answers.

Check out those great links AliG gave you its worth it to spend time getting informed.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amie, and welcome from me too.

I agree with both Ali and nz11 that it is not a good idea to go back on this drug.

Be prepared that the doctor might say that this drug didn't work but we will try another to see if it does.  Antidepressants can cause the problem then are (supposedly) meant to fix and cause additional one.  The best thing you can do is research so that you can make an informed decision.

It is highly likely that the upset stomach you are experiencing is a withdrawal symptom.  You might be surprised when you see the symptoms listed in the link below.  When I tried to drop my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg I experienced 3 days of upset tummy which I thought was a bug.  When I joined here I discovered it was a withdrawal symptom.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Ali G and nz11, I appreciate the responses..yes the close friends and family I have spoken to have had great response to their drugs..Lexapro, Zoloft, pristiq, etc..with (they report) no negative side effects..I can't understand that, as my own brief experience was awful..had I had no side effects or issues, I would still be on it but that is certainly not the case... I go to the Dr. Monday to try to get to the bottom (haha no pun intended) of this gastrointestinal distress..you can guess what is happening..bathroom issues, haha..no fun..plus the odd aches in legs and arm..after 3 weeks!!?? Ugh..anyone else feel the physical effects weeks after stopping? Mentally I'm pretty much back to what I was prior to starting. Thanks all!!!

Chessie..I anticipate my Dr. saying it's not the drug making me feel awful..but suggest I try something else..certainly not interested at this point. Will try to walk each day, take some probiotics and supplements once I see the Dr..but no more drugs for me in the near future..I want my life back!

• Moderator Emeritus

In a way you are very fortunate to have got the side effects because you haven't ended up on the drugs.

Other members have reported experiencing pains in odd places after stopping even after a short while.

These drugs change the brain and it takes time for your brain to adapt to not getting the drug.  This is why we experience withdrawal symptoms.  If you had been on the drug for longer (about 2 months) your brain would have made lots of changes and you would have most likely needed to taper by 10%.  However because you had been on such a short time you did what we probably would have suggested and tapered quickly.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Amie. It sounds like you may get off without too many effects. You're probably right - the doctor will not really understand what has happened. That's ok. I'm sure you do and will hopefully avoid any psych drugs in the future.  I hope you do read through all the information as knowledge is power .  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

A tip:  don't try and preach to your friends on psych drugs.  They won't want to hear.  It's good if you can let them know in a gentle way, if the chance happens, about AD withdrawal and this site so they are aware of it.  I knew nothing about withdrawal symptoms until it happened to me and then I researched and found SA.

Good point Chessiecat, if I believe the drugs made me sick, due to my personal experience amd symptoms, they will believe that the drugs made them better, if that makes sense. So no point trying to change their perception. I will follow up here tomorrow after my dr appt but I doubt there will be much to report in that, I'm sure he won't agree it is the escitalopram effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, please do let us know what he says/thinks.  You just never know, he may surprise you, but unfortunately I doubt that will be the case.