StarJ: 17 years of Citalopram and time to quit

StarJ

• Mentor
On 4/9/2017 at 10:23 AM, StarJ said:

That would explain how they became available en mass...

But surely over the years people have tried to stop and encountered the problems we face here. Why is there so little talk about this in the medical community???

I suspect that those in the "medical community"  are in denial. Some of them actually do go into the business to help ppl.

Imagine you've written thousands of prescriptions for these drugs, believing that they were helping ppl, and then you start to hear that ppl are having trouble, massive trouble, getting off of them. You suddenly realize that maybe these drugs are not as safe as the drug reps told you, you realize that you may have, instead of helping ppl, caused a lot of damage to ppl.
You don't want to believe this, it feels bad. You feel bad, guilty.

You push these thoughts away and try to come up with other explanations.
A few very ethical psychiatrists and others are essentially blowing the whistle about the harm these drugs do, but I imagine the industry, having a  huge stake in this business, is doing their best to discredit and/or silence those ethical doctors (and the ones who are just coming around to realizing the drugs are dangerous, or still asking the questions)

also because we have been giving a label of mentally ill, it's very easy for society/drs/friends/family etc to discount and dis believe what we are telling them about our experience with WD

so, as horrible and frustrating as it is, it's kind of understandable that it's taking so long to get the word out.

if you look around on the internet, you'll see that there have been forums set up by recovering patients that are over a decade old- so the ppl suffering WD have been banding together, but we dont' have the money or political power or even credibility, due to the labels we've been given, to have much of an impact.

I know we need to get the word out, but I don't know how we can go about it. Forums like this one are helping, but on some bad days when I'm feeling esp angry about what has happened to us, I want to take out a full page ad to tell ppl, stay away from these poisons!!

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is following my thread, as of today I'm on 10mg.

I have been feeling MUCH better since lowering (except for a couple of days after each cut) and it will be nice to be half of what i was 3 months ago. Also now I dont need to weigh as its exactly half a pill.

I hope Im not going too fast. I will do the second half a lot slower, since that's the tricky part...

2000 - 2001 Paxil for work related Anxiety and then switched to Citalopram2001 - 2008 Thrived with Citalopram,2008 Unsuccessful attempt to get off Citalopram requiring short term use of Solian and Clonazapam2008 - 2017 On Citalopram but positive effect gradually disappeared<p>2016, brief stint on Valdoxan to possibly boost Citaĺipram but pooped out after a dew weeks, 2017 Attempting to quit again with slow taper

• 3 weeks later...

Hi StarJ,

Great news. I'm on 10mg now too, and feeling great. But as you said, the next stretch is the tricky part. I was on 40mg, and have come down to 10mg over 5 months, which is pretty quick by SA standards, but apart from a few dips I've just felt better and better.

You said you feel a bit average for a few days after lowering? I think it takes me at least a few weeks for a drop to be felt, but as I said, my symptoms are pretty mild and I can always track them to life events as well, so I'm not as sure as some people.

Keep posting, I'd like to hear how you progress. Good luck.

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

Thanks. Good luck.

I'm a bit more nervous and agitated since lowering to 10. Im coping and working, but shorter fuse and difficult to be around sometimes.

Not sure if this is WD or just me? 

At least I don't have the depression i had on the higher side. Thankfully that went away pretty soon after starting to lower.

I guess time will tell...

2000 - 2001 Paxil for work related Anxiety and then switched to Citalopram2001 - 2008 Thrived with Citalopram,2008 Unsuccessful attempt to get off Citalopram requiring short term use of Solian and Clonazapam2008 - 2017 On Citalopram but positive effect gradually disappeared<p>2016, brief stint on Valdoxan to possibly boost Citaĺipram but pooped out after a dew weeks, 2017 Attempting to quit again with slow taper

17 minutes ago, StarJ said:

Thanks. Good luck.

I'm a bit more nervous and agitated since lowering to 10. Im coping and working, but shorter fuse and difficult to be around sometimes.

Not sure if this is WD or just me? 

At least I don't have the depression i had on the higher side. Thankfully that went away pretty soon after starting to lower.

I guess time will tell...

Hi I so relate to short fuse and difficult to be around ,on this front I keep checking in with loved ones and they know its a symptom and not my personality and the main thing is I tell myself this ,I used to get annoyed with myself for being like this but not anymore because it was done to me by  doctors and there total lies and ignorance .

good for you your depression eased ,what a pain ,my own has eased ,nothing worse .

take care

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, StarJ said:

That would explain how they became available en mass...

But surely over the years people have tried to stop and encountered the problems we face here. Why is there so little talk about this in the medical community???

hi Star J ,there wont be talk of it in the medical community because its there money making lively hood ,consumerism at its best .just look at the disgusting advertisements on TV in America and new Zealand ,take this pill and you'll be happy .the irony is that the only people that could ever be happy is the ones that don't take them and they'll never realise how lucky they are ..when people stop they go to the GP they trust and be told its there condition getting worse ,utter nonsense ,its a reaction to the drug .

I highly suggest a site called madinamerica.com =Robert Whitaker   and reading up on the great peter breggin if you want to learn about  the madness of psychiatry and drugs .these people will and are changing the opinion on a disgusting industry that your children can be saved from .

In our lifetime the bottom will fall out of this industry and its going to be epic but scary [must check my anxiety :D] .its up there with the arms race and wars for profit .

Good luck with your taper and follow the mods .

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Any advice? 

I'm feeling and acting spaced out. Cognitively not going well.

I don't think I've adjusted well to the latest cut.

I'm on 10mgs.

Have I gone doen to fast? I've gone from 20 to 10 in about 3 months.

I was planning on going much slower from here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Could you please help us out and put your current drug and doses with dates CLEARLY in your signature so we can see your reductions at a glance.  Being able to see you history at a glance means that we are better able to offer suggestions.  Please also remember to update it whenever you make a change.  Thanks.

If you have reduced from 20 to 10 in 3 months and you are now experiencing withdrawal symptoms, then yes, you have gone too quickly.  Dropping by 10% per month from 20 would have you at about 15 after 3 months.

If you can tolerate the symptoms, stick it out and do a long hold, possibly 3 to 4 months.  If you can't live with the symptoms then you could do a small updose.  1 or 2 (mg?) may be enough to take the edge off the symptoms.  Take daily notes of your symptoms so you can see any improvement/worsening.  It takes about 4 days for the dose to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  It is suggested that you see how things go for 2 weeks before considering increasing.  If things are still unbearable after 2 weeks you could then updose by another very small amount.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

When I tried to drop my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg after 3 weeks of extreme cog fog I got to the point where I couldn't type (I am a professional typist).  I followed the suggestion to updose and within 4 hours my foggy head was beginning to clear and I was able to type.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 months later...

Hi StarJ – you seem to be offline. Hope you are doing well. Did you need to updose? Would love to hear from you.

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan