Hermena: Withdrawal from Zoloft

Hermena

Hi everyone !

l'm new to this forum and I want to write a couple of words about my case. 

I took paroxetine and sertraline for five months ( from mid February till the end of July). I was diagnosed with panic fear and anxiety disorder. I was prescribed paroxetine - first two weeks 10 mg of the medicine, the following weeks 20 mg. I  told my doctor that I am diagnosed with glaukoma.

The first two weeks were a nightmare - 5 hours after taking the pill I experienced severe symptoms : paeresthesias ( face, hands and sometimes legs), tachycardia, severe musle tensions. I contacted my doctor and been told that's normal at the begining of paroxetine treatment and ordered to take Afobam during the attact. I did what was told and after 40 minutes of taking Afobam felt a relief.

In the third week of paroxetine treatment I started to experience new symptoms. Again, after five hours my eyes, face, ears, noise and throat started to itch, my face went red and my breathing got a bit worse. The earlier symptoms faded away. I contacted the doctor and been told to take hydroxyzine in case of symptoms occuring. After hydroxyzine the symptoms vanished after 40 minutes. The following days the symptoms appeared and I took hydoxyzyne. The side effect of hydro was somnolence the next day.

During the next visit I told the doctor that I feel better psychologically but worse physically. I heard that I have to get accustomed to this situation and if paroxetyne has so many side effects, I can be prescribed another ssri - Zoloft. I agreed to the doctor's sugestion and started Zoloft. Two weeks were quite okey. The only side effects were muscle tensions. There were no problems with mood and sleep. From the third week a well-known allergy-like symptoms started to appear. The new symptoms were : upper eylids swelling, briuses under the eyes, lowered blood preassure, weakness and hair- loss. I told the doctor about the new symptoms but was ignored.

Meanwile I contacted the allergologist and told about side effects of taking paroxetine and sertraline. He told me that I was allergic to those medicines and should withdraw from them at once to avoid anaphylatic shock. I withdrew from Zoloft without any hesitation. Through all these  months (from May to July) I took a dosage of 25 mg of Zoloft. After taking 50 mg I felt terrible - couldn't take deep breaths, the upper eyelids were puffy and the head was heavy. 

The first two weeks after withdrawal were okey. In the third week I had minor problems with balance. The following week I experienced mood changes and I cried (never cried  before the treatment and during taking ssri). From two days I've been experiencing brachycardia (from 7 p.m. till midnight. )The heart beat ranges from 55-47. It is accompanied by gradual raise in blood preassure from 128-160. 

Is it possibile that brachycardia is caused by the lack of Zoloft? Is it dangerous for my life? Should I call the ambulance when brachycardia occurs?

Can I take Afobam to reduce brachycardia ( I read that Afobam can cause brachycardia). In addition I am diagnosed with Barlow's syndrome.

l would be very grateful for every single comment to my case.

Best regards,

Monika

Edited by AliG
added paragraph breaks

February 19/2017 - started paroxetine (Arketis) 10 mg/day

March 2/2017 - started Afobam (0,25 mg) to soothe side effects (taken occasionally mostly in the evenings)

March 12/2017 - started a highier dosage of paroxetine 20 mg/day

March-April - started Hydroxizine (10 mg) to soothe allergy-like side effects; paroxetine taken a few times to avoid agorafobia.

May 21/2017 - started sertraline (Zoloft) 25 mg/day and quitted paroxetine (cold turkey)

May 21-July 10 2017 - continued on Zoloft 25 mg/day with a one day episode of 50 mg (  itchy and puffy eyes, worse breathing, brain zaps - May 30th) ; occasionally Hydroxyzine

July 10-July 30/2017 - cut on Zoloft - 1/4 of the pill

July 30/2017 - quitted sertraline (Zoloft) - cold turkey

August 2017 - Afobam taken a few times to soothe withdrawal effects  (one crying spell, one episode of sleeping disorder)

Hi Hermena. I'm sorry you have experienced this at the hands of your medical professionals. Unfortunately, they don't have much knowledge of the medications they so casually and randomly prescribe and then don't really know how to safely taper off them. 

It obviously sounds like you had a very bad reaction to the drug and should probably avoid all psych drugs in the future.

To start with, would you mind answering a few questions? Why was your Paroxetine increased from 10 mg to 20 mg after only 2 weeks? How long were you on it? How did you taper?

How long were you on Zoloft and what dose? How did you taper? 

Heart irregularities are a common withdrawal symptom so it is entirely possible that brachycardia is a WD symptom.

To be able to help more accurately would you Please put your withdrawal history in your signature - Drugs/dates/dosages/discontinuations etc.This way we can see your history easily whenever you post.

We can proceed once we have a little more information.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hermena: Withdrawal from Zoloft
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Hermina.

I agree with AliG, you are definitely sensitive to this class of medication and should avoid all SSRI's in future. 

I have some questions about the other drugs you were on. It appears that your doctor gave you Afobam (alprazolam, xanax) and Hydroxyzine to cover up the side effects of SSRI's. How long were you on them? Are you still taking them now or did you stop taking these at the same time you stopped taking zoloft?

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

19 hours ago, AliG said:

Hi Hermena. I'm sorry you have experienced this at the hands of your medical professionals. Unfortunately, they don't have much knowledge of the medications they so casually and randomly prescribe and then don't really know how to safely taper off them. 

It obviously sounds like you had a very bad reaction to the drug and should probably avoid all psych drugs in the future.

To start with, would you mind answering a few questions? Why was your Paroxetine increased from 10 mg to 20 mg after only 2 weeks? How long were you on it? How did you taper?

How long were you on Zoloft and what dose? How did you taper? 

Heart irregularities are a common withdrawal symptom so it is entirely possible that brachycardia is a WD symptom.

To be able to help more accurately would you Please put your withdrawal history in your signature - Drugs/dates/dosages/discontinuations etc.This way we can see your history easily whenever you post.

We can proceed once we have a little more information.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Hi Alig !

Thanks a lot for your feedback and interest in my case. I've already put my withdrawal history in my signature. I was wrong about the time of moving to the highier dosage of paoxetine - it was done after 4 weeks.

Cold turkey withdrawal from paroxetine was done due to my doctor's suggestion. 

I was on Zoloft from May 21th till Juy 30th and tapered immediately.

Best regards,

Monika

March 2/2017 - started Afobam (0,25 mg) to soothe side effects (taken occasionally mostly in the evenings)

March-April - started Hydroxizine (10 mg) to soothe allergy-like side effects; paroxetine taken a few times to avoid agorafobia.

May 21/2017 - started sertraline (Zoloft) 25 mg/day and quitted paroxetine (cold turkey)

May 21-July 10 2017 - continued on Zoloft 25 mg/day with a one day episode of 50 mg (  itchy and puffy eyes, worse breathing, brain zaps - May 30th) ; occasionally Hydroxyzine

August 2017 - Afobam taken a few times to soothe withdrawal effects  (one crying spell, one episode of sleeping disorder)

11 hours ago, Dan998 said:

Hi, Hermina.

I agree with AliG, you are definitely sensitive to this class of medication and should avoid all SSRI's in future. 

I have some questions about the other drugs you were on. It appears that your doctor gave you Afobam (alprazolam, xanax) and Hydroxyzine to cover up the side effects of SSRI's. How long were you on them? Are you still taking them now or did you stop taking these at the same time you stopped taking zoloft?

Hi Dan !

Thanks a lot for your interest and support. Both Afobam and Hydroxizine were taken occasionally at the lowest dosages : Afobam - 0,25 mg and Hydroxyzine - 10 mg. After tapering Zoloft at the end od July all the allergy-like symptoms dissappeared and I no longer neded Hydroxyzine. 

Best regards,

Monika

Monika. From what I can gather you cold- turkeyed off Zoloft 4 weeks ago and take still take afobam ( alprazolam, xanax) as needed. Is that correct? Is it only those two times you have taken it? You are no longer on Hydroxyzine.

It's great that your allergy symptoms disappeared with the Zoloft. How are you feeling now? What symptoms are you experiencing?

These links may help explain the withdrawal process a little more :

Brain Remodelling

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery/

We also recommend taking Magnesium and Omega 3 fish oil as they can be extremely beneficial during withdrawal.

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

I know that's a lot of information to take in but please have a read : see what you think and then we are here to answer any other questions that you may have.

Edited by AliG

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Hi Alig !

Yes, I no longer take sertraline (Zoloft). I took Afobam twice in emergency situations. I am no longer on Hydroxizine too.

Yesterday's night was much better. My blood preassure was okey and heart beat at its lowest was 57.

Now I am experiencing : lack of motivation, thoughts If I ever come over my limitations. My spirit wants changes but my body is lazy. In personal contacts my muscles get stiff.

Best regards,

Monika

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hermena, the symptoms that you describe are likely caused by discontinuing medications abruptly and making so many changes in a very short period of time.  These drugs are very powerful and can disrupt the central nervous system when started and stopped so abruptly.  The central nervous system can be very sensitive, unpredictable and it can sometimes take a while for it to bounce back after so much disruption.  

I thought I'd attach a link to give you an understanding of what you are likely dealing with now and to reassure you that these feelings are not unexpected given all the changes you have made since February.  I've also attached a couple of links that can help you deal with any symptoms that you have now or experience down the road.  

Hope you start to feel a little better soon.

Disconnect between Interest and Action/Motivation

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Hi !

How long the withdrawal symptomy can last? Each day I experience new symptoms. On Sunday it was a stomachache, yesterday lack of energy, today pulsing lower eylid (left) and stiff neck. I don't want to go  back to the pills. Is there any chance to recover with the help of psychoterapy only? What medicine didn't you take to soothe withdrawal symptoms?

Monika

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone ,

Sill fighting, however it’s really difficult. I was quite busy this month, had to go out often. Ech time I did  this my back and neck muscles got very tensed. I’ve been suffering from headaches, neck pain and eye pain for about two weeks. I saw a neurologist, had tomography and waiting for the results with great fear. One day I experienced a huge anxiety episode - I was crying and shouting that I would never recover from my illness. I felt terrible. I took Afobam and felg better.

Next day I saw my psychiatrist, told about everything and was prescribed a new medicine - duloxetinum.  

I don’ t know anything about this SNRI. Has anyone took this medicine?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions and comments.

Best regards,

Monika

Please read what esteemed ALIG said on August 31st.

Take care

• July 2016: prescribed 25mg Zoloft, diagnosed with MDD. Developed severe reaction and taken to ER.. CSeroquel when not able to sleep, very small dose (12.5mg) but causing headache and dry mouth the next two three days, 

• July - December 2016: 25+ 25mg, constantly in pain, had to go to ER once, 

• January 2017: Still believing the doctors and thinking the meds are helpful, increased the dose to 75mg, had to go to ER three times, after drinking water non-stop.  

• Realised that these meds are actually toxins and are very harmful. Looking for experts in the field, going to doctors

• February - May 2017: 50mg, severe withdrawal symptoms, severe burning pain in chest, lower back, Seroquel only 12.5mg but not helping. Slowly developing OCD, as the headaches and heat flash can hit any time.

• found SA site and started reading day and night

• May-September 2017: 25mg, drinking lots of water, having great pain, not able to function, ER visits because of arythmia, hot flashes

• October 2017: started tapering and feeling better, but the symptoms are there. 

• Supplements: None so far, 

Treatment Outline.docx

July 23-30th, 2017.xlsx

Hi virgo 43 !

Thanks a lot for your feedback. The conclusion is that I shouldn’t take any SRRI/SNRI.  Am I right? But how to survive all those withdrawal efects or the comeback of the old one - anxiety disorders? 

How are you feeling now? Are you getting better? How is your fight with Zoloft?

Best regards,

Monika

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

Still fighting but very anxious about the  lack/delay of period. It’s 36 day and nothing happens. I have never experienced such a situation before. What’s more I lost appetite and reduced my weigt for about 8 kg within two and a half month. I’ve been experiencing severe constipations and reflux-like symptomy from time to time. I’m very tired of this situation. I am starting to loose hope that the situation will gry better.

Monika

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone !

Still fighting but thinking of getting back to the medicine. I’ve been suffering from insomnia for 12 days. My irritation and anxiety have worsen too. I also experience galloping  thoughts after getting to bed. I am very tired.

Monika

How sad that nobody replies to my topic ☹️.

• Mentor

Hermena,

i’m sorry to hear you are suffering from insomnia. Insomnia is the worst. I’ve been dealing with Zoloft since July of 2016. Every symptom one can think of I’ve had. It is however getting better for me. I wish the same for you. 

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Hi Rachel !

Thanks a lot for your support. Did you take any other medicine to soothe the withdrawal side effects?

I’m thinking of taking Afobam before the sleep.

Happy to hear that you’re feeling better.

Take care

Monika

• Mentor

Hi Monika,

I take fish oil everyday. I don't know if it helps or not, but it's good for so many other things that I figure why not.  When I have nausea, which I do when I am in a wave, I take Meclazine, 12.5 mg, and that seems to really help. In answer to your question about Afobam I needed to do a little research on the computer because they don't carry any medications by that name in the USA.  I think maybe Afoban is the same as Alprazolam (Xanax)? Am I correct with my information?  If so, yes I have taken it and yes it has indeed helped, however I am very fearful of it because it also has addictive properties (if it is Xanax). I'm very frightened to take additional medication and then having additional problems so I stay away from it if at all possible.

It looks like you were on 25 mg a day until July when you did a taper,  then you went cold turkey at the end of July.  From my reading on this site it looks like a lot of people are fine for the first month or two after they go cold turkey and then after that they get more symptoms until about 6 months in when it appears they slowly start to improve a little. It also looks like the improvement phase is very slow going. I don't know if that is the same for your situation, but if it is it would explain why you are feeling the effects so much at this period of time. So what I am trying to say, in maybe not a very good way, is that it sounds like what you are going through is normal for withdrawal. It doesn't help you to have this information because you are still suffering. By the way, I am very sorry to hear you are suffering. I can tell it is bad from what you say.   If you are thinking about going back on the medications would you be willing to reach out to one of the moderators and get their opinion on how to reinstate?  I know they suggest that we do not go back on at the full dose because we have gotten so sensitive.  I up-dosed last year and got really sick from going back at too high a dose, I would hate for the same thing to happen to you when all you really are trying to do is feel a little better.  Good luck, I am thinking of you and hope you feel better soon.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Hi Rachel!

Yes, I thought of Xanax. The Best solution would be not going into this.

What I can say from my experience is that some symptoms appeared, lasted for about 2-3 weeks and then disappeared. It was the case of a gastric reflux and problems with deafecation. Now everything is Okey. I also experienced one episode of a period delay (42 day).

The biggest problem apart from insomnia are crying spells and the feeling that I won’t get better. I also lack the motivation to socialize with people. Most of the time I spend at home. When I have to go out I cry inside and my muscles get tensed. When I’m out I find out that nothing bad happens to me. 

The strange thing is that my mind tells me that I should go out of this vicious circle but my body stays passive.

I am seeing the doc the following week. I am very curious what she will tell me. The previous doc after hearing that I tapered frm Zoloft prescribed me a new medicine from SRNI group. Wasn’t interested in my withdrawal side effects at all. 

Thanks a lot for your support and advice.

Monika

Hi Hermena. I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. Did you ever end up taking the Duloxetine after your doctor prescribed it? It's not in your signature so I assume, that you didn't start on it.

How is your sleep, now? You mentioned that you had gone 12 days without sleep. Did you manage to have any naps at all? Has the insomnia improved at all since then?

Has the anxiety intensified or calmed down? What methods have you used so far, to try and cope with this?

Hi Rachel !

Thanks a lot for your support. Did you take any other medicine to soothe the withdrawal side effects?

I’m thinking of taking Afobam before the sleep.

Happy to hear that you’re feeling better.

Take care

Monika

Hi AliG !

I didn’t start Duloxetine due to the fear of allergy-like symptoms that appeared during Arketis and Zoloft intake.

My problems with sleep started in mid August. At first there were only incidents - two in August, a few in September.

In October I started a psychoterapy. The night before the visit I couldn’t fall asleep. 

The talk with the psychologist resulted in intrnsive thinking about my present situation and the past, especially after getting into bed.

During the next visit (two-week-break) I cried a lot. With each visit my mood got lowered. 

Is it possible that the therapy started a problem with insomnia?

Yes, as soon as the problems with sleep appeared, I am more anxious and tired during the day. I have no motivation to go out. I feel useless and with no future.

Today I felt asleep at about 6 in the morning.

Best regards,

Monika

Hi everyone !

I saw a psychiatrist yestetday. I was prescribed Cital and hydroxyzine.

I can no longer tolerate my situation and decided to go back to medicine.

Hope to get better within months.

Best regards,

Monika

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

Yesterday I took the first dosage of Cital - 10 mg. After two hours my upper eyelids got swollen. The nose and eyes got itchy. In the early evening my face turned a bit reddish. 

Is it possible that again I am allergic to this medicine? The same situation happened with paroxetine and sertraline.

Best regards,

Monika

56A18E4F-12B0-4899-8895-DF3CB70C92E1.jpeg

My eyes after switching from 25 mg of sertraline into 50 mg. July 2017.

750E78A5-CD17-4B6E-AF42-60B14FD6992B.jpeg

I assume that cital is citalopram?

If I were you I would not take any more of this drug again.

You are blindly accepting everything the doctor tells you and swallowing every thing he gives you. You are assuming that everything he gives you to swallow is safe and no worries.

These drugs are not safe. They are seriously brain altering, dependence inducing  and have been marketed by breaking every rule in the approval book. They have hundreds of side effects known and unknown and the doctor wont tell you about that or the horrific wdl symptoms experienced in trying to stop them. 

What would you think of a doctor who gave cocaine to a person  in order to quell heroin wdl symptoms.

They are giving you cital to quell wdl symptoms from Zoloft. 

If I were you this is what I would do, decide on purpose to refuse to swallow any more psychoactive chemicals. That's right just say no. 

Spend time on this site reading about nondrug coping strategies.

It may take months or perhaps years to recover but in time you will. It is not going to be easy for sometime. But it will get easier in time. 

If the suffering is too intense and you cant hold it drug free. Then perhaps being a recovering Zoloft addict a small dose (0.5 mg say) of Zoloft may or may not help provide relief. Its a risk. But switching may  not be a good idea.

If you keep swallowing stuff from the clueless doctor (who is just playing guessing games with very dangerous drugs) I cringe at the thought of how your drug sig is going to look like in a couple of years time.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

Hi Monika,

Both Paroxetine and Sertraline, and your new drug Citalopram are all in the SSRI class. You seem to be having a reaction to all of them. The pictures of your eyes look like you are suffering. Poor thing. Are you planning on continuing with the Citalopram? 

Rachel

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Hi !

I don’t know what to do in this situation?

It’s been hard time for me since August when I tapered Zoloft. The worst is insomnia (I fall asleep at around 2-3 o’clok in the morning), lack of motivation, agorafobia and fear of death. 

Most of my days I spend at home sitting or lying on the sofa and thinking. I want to change but lack the motivation to do it. 

There are days when I feel a little better and do some chores.

The worst thing is that my friends and my family don’t understand what I’m going through. They think that I just don’t want to  get better.

I feel miserable and hopless.

Monika

• Mentor

Hi Monika,

I've been in your situation where I didn't know what to do or how to get relief.  For me, when I didn't know what to do I didn't do anything.  I stopped tapering and didn't add anything new and just waited.  It was terrible but it got better.  However your situation is different than mine so what I did might not work for you. I do believe though that you will find your own way to feeling better.

You are correct when you say our friends and family don't understand.  How can they possibly understand?  I know if I hadn't done my research I wouldn't understand and I am living through it. Even though they don't understand I'm sure they still love you. 

I am so sorry that you are suffering. But let me say it one more time, I do believe that you will find your way to feeling better.

Rachel

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Hermena I think you are doing great. You are having some better days and doing chores. That is not a small thing. The other issues you mention are typical in wdl and will slowly improve with time.

Don't be too hard on yourself about just sitting on the sofa and not doing much. The day will come when you will think oh today I'm going to do this and that. Your body is healing and needs rest. As Alto says treat yourself as one who has been in an accident.

These are early days.

Hang in there.  

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Rachel and nz 11,

Thanks a lot for your support and precious opinions 🙂. 

I called the doc this afternoon, told about the side effects and been told to quit the drug for a week to see if there’s any change.

I went out for about ten minutes to my garden. My stomach was shrunk but I survived. After coming back I was both happy and affraid. Then the feeling of anxiety came. Now I’m lying in my bed with shrunk stomach, feeling unsecure.

Monika

What did the doctor suggest if there is no change in a week?

It would come as no surprise to me that there may not be any change in one week. 

Recovery from these drugs can take a long time ...think  many months and for some (like me) it is taking years. 

I also spent  a lot of time in wdl lying down it is an exhausting process.

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone ,

Still fighting. 

Noticed some changes in my activity : better sleep, more activity - doing some chores. In January started regular meetings with a  physioterapist at my home. After physical examination he said that my body was very stiff and muscles tensed. He decided to apply a mannual therapy concentrated on trigger points in my body. 

The first two meetings were horrible. After the therapy my body was in a great pain for three days. Then I felt that something started to change. After the fourth meeting I felt quite well. I was in a good mood, very positive.

During the sixth meeting my physioterapist applied another type of a therapy - stretching legs and arm with rotative movements. It was  very tiring and pretty painful. In the evening I got arythmia which lasted for four days. Never before in my life had I experienced such a thing. The doc from the emergency service told that it could happen due to the excessive training. Barlow’s syndrom could worsen the situation.

I did a week’s break and returned to the therapy. 

What I noticed is the fact that a trigger points therapy is very painful in my case and it triggers off a worse mood for a couple of days. Last time the physioterapist worked on trigger points located at the bottom of the neck (upper trapezius). The pain on the left side was terrible , making me almost cry. I felt badly after the therapy. My shoulders were in pain. The next day was the same. Most of the day I spent lying on the sofa.  

In a couple of days my mood worsen  - I cried the whole day, feeling  very miserable and depressed. Last time I felt so poor in December. 

After this episode I decided to take a break from a mannual therapy. I think that it was too intensive (twice a week) and my brain and body started to rebel.

What makes me sad is the fact that I still can’t overcome my agorafobia. I make some small steps forward (going out to the garden for a short time) but not to the church, town etc. There’s 404 error in my mind which stops me from moving forward. 

Today I am seeing my psychiatrist. I will make another attempt to go back to the pills.

Best regards,

Monika

I have issues with muscle tension. I found that going to massage, physio and chiropractor only made the tension worse and aggravated the muscles and ends up giving me a headache. The only thing so far I've found to alleviate the tension is either a hot shower, heating pad, tiger balm and or magnesium lotion. So far magnesium lotion has helped the most. 

Johnson are you still taking any antideressants or not? Thanks a lot for your reply.