Facemasks: zoloft side effects

facemasks

Hi, my name is nadia and I'm 16 , I've been put on zoloft 25mg and I've taken about 8 days worth and I am experiencing PGAD. If I mention this to my doctor and get put off zoloft, will my pgad go away? I was already very suicidal before this and the PGAD is making it worse, I don't think I can live with this forever. Also, if it is something that will go away if I get taken off zoloft, what can I do to manage it in the meantime? Any help is appreciated 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nadia, welcome to SA. I have moved your post to start ypur own introduction thread, this will be your topic to update your progress and ask any questions about your symptoms. You can also post on other topics but this is specifically for you. As you have only been taking zoloft for 8 days you should be able to stop it quite quickly. The PGAD is a side effect and will hopefully ease up when you are no longer taking it. It will take time to settle but hopefully not too long  Is there something that was affecting you to make you feel suicidal before zoloft?  There are many causes of depression, find the cause and you can treat the depression without drugs. How do your parents feel about you taking zoloft?  

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

please help, I think I'm suffering from pgad and am at a complete loss on what to do. I have ocd and I'm 16. After continuous begging my parents finally took me to a doctor and I got put on zoloft (25mg). I have taken 8 pills. Now I'm scared that I permanently screwed up my body by not listening to my parents (they were super against me taking medication etc). If I get off zoloft, will my pgad go away? I've heard that people develo pgad after getting off ssris and I'm scared that'll happen to me to. Is this permanent? Any chance it'll go away? I can't take it, if it's somehow permanent I don't think I can live with it. My symptoms: constant need to pee, constant feeling or arousal and burning. I did have somewhat of a masturbation addiction and I've stopped (it's been a month) I'm also dehydrated. Is it possible that it's just my extremely hormonal sexually frustrated teenage self? If it is pgad due to zoloft, will it ever go away? What if it continues as a withdrawal symptom? 

I have ocd, and my parents don't believe that it's a "real" disorder and are very against me taking zoloft. If the zoloft caused this I will never hear the end of it. Will pgad go away permanently? Or have I permanently damaged my body by deciding to take zoloft? I can't live with that. Is it possible this is not pgad but is instead a withdrawal (I stopped masturbsting about a month ago since it was starting to become an addiction). Or maybe I'm causing this on myself by focusing on it too much?

• Moderator Emeritus

I have merged all your posts into your topic Nadia, they will be all in one place and easier to follow. 

Please try not to panic, this is not permanent and will get better. You have only been taking zoloft for a few days , you canjust stop it now and tell your soctor you had unacceptable side effects.  Your doctor might want to give you something else but your parents are right to be concerned about drugs. You are suffering from side effects of the drug, others do experience pgad in withdrawal but that starts when they get OFF the drug. You should start to get better when you get off it. Did your doctor offer you any counselling? It can be very helpful if you have the right person. If you don't get along with them there is no point, you have to feel comfortable talking to them. It takws a few sessions to build trust but it can be life changing.  

Please try not to worry, and try to relax. Breathe, in for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds and out for 8 seconds. 4 7 8. This will help to calm the cortisol that is making you anxious. Cry if you need to, tears are good for you, don't hold them back. You will get through this without drugs. We will support you if your parents agree. We all know how you are feeling, every single one of us has been affected by prescription drugs. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, mammaP said:

you can just stop it now and tell your soctor you had unacceptable side effects

mammaP has already made the above suggestion.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

18 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

mammaP has already made the above suggestion.

Just to be "safe" I cut the pill in half and only took half of one. Was this dangerous at all?

Hey Facemasks, the key here is to be patient. Having OCD myself, I totally feel how hard that can be you need reassurance, but remember that only feeds the OCD, sometime you will have to deal with it. Im not sure if cutting the pill will be beneficial, I would ask the mods about that they have better experience with that.  

Im here to tell you it does get better, there is a user here that had the same effects from Zoloft I think as well, her name is Hopefull maybe you are already in contact with her? she healed and is still in the process of getting back to normality, this too shall pass for you.

Try not to sit and "research" about PGAD, I find it just makes it worse. Hang in there. :)

A past filled with coming on and off anti-depressants cold turkey after only weeks of use... diagnosed with OCD, Anxiety, and Depression I had these before I even started any meds. 

July 2017:  Prescribed 30mg of Paxil... stopped taking it after 2 weeks, got PGAD. Reinstated, PGAD a bit better. Also was prescribed Trazadone which I took mixed doses of. Sometimes none at all, other times 4 or 5 pills. 

August 12, 2017: Started to take my Paxil at 8:00am every morning I held this for 6 weeks, symptoms came and went, some days without anything, almost normal, others, with PGAD and OCD symptoms again. (30 mg Paxil Daily) 

September 27, 2017: Started 27mg Paxil Daily at 8:00am or as close to that time as possible.

Currently: PGAD comes and goes, some days Im almost normal, other days, the tingles are there, not sure if it is actual symptoms or me being obsessive about symptoms. I hope this goes away soon. I hope I heal. Some OCD flareups. Trying my best to stay positive. Taking a break off college for now. 

I am not a doctor, any posts I make or advise I give is my opinion only. 

I believe I also have restless leg syndrome and that maybe my pgad and that are related. Hopefully both are only side effects of zoloft and go away with time after I discontinue zoloft completely. Really hopeful it won't take that long as I've only taken about a weeks worth of pills and it usually takes a couple weeks for zoloft to take effect. I know that rls has been known to disappear once the causing medication is stopped and I'm praying that's the case with this and pgad 

Just a quick update in case it can help anyone out. I am now off Zoloft, my doctor agreed that it's not the right medication for. She said that she in now way wants this long term for me, but in my current state just therapy doesn't seem to be an option (this past month has been the worst, almost never leave my bed, barely ate most days didn't drink water and cried every 2 minutes). She did agree to take me off medication and see how I do without it and if I ever feel as bad  she thinks medication should be an option to help me through this at least temporarily. I've been off zoloft only for a couple days but my pgad is almost non existent already. To be fair I did only have a mild case but still a huge relief. The only effects I still suffer from are the terrible stomachaches but they don't bother me as much. I still feel the need to pee every 2 seconds, but that's probably due to me drinking so much water recently. Idk what I should do about medication yet, hopefully more on that later

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, facemasks said:

Idk what I should do about medication yet

Research, research and more research.  That way you can make an informed decision.  The medical profession seem to be doing a lot of off label prescribing, possibly being pushed by pharmaceutical companies to increase their profits (see the links I have included below).

I suggest you check out the links on my website adwithdrawal.weebly.com (there are two pages).  I've listed things from around the web that I found about half way down the Links Page.

Two books I would suggest your read are Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker and Your Drugs May Be Your Problem by Peter Breggin.  I have listed some others on the first page of my site.  The drug/s we take can end up worsening existing problems and/or creating new problems.

Gwen Olsen was a pharmaceutical representative for 15 years.  These are especially eye opening:

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Facemask, 

It is great news that you no longer have PGAD. 

My advice to you is not to touch anymore drugs.

Seek therapy for OCD. 

Poping pills is not an answer. 

Stay clear from SSRI's as you are clearly sensitive to Zoloft. 

Take care,  Hopefull. 

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Im so so glad you feel much better! Keep us updated! :)

A past filled with coming on and off anti-depressants cold turkey after only weeks of use... diagnosed with OCD, Anxiety, and Depression I had these before I even started any meds. 

July 2017:  Prescribed 30mg of Paxil... stopped taking it after 2 weeks, got PGAD. Reinstated, PGAD a bit better. Also was prescribed Trazadone which I took mixed doses of. Sometimes none at all, other times 4 or 5 pills. 

August 12, 2017: Started to take my Paxil at 8:00am every morning I held this for 6 weeks, symptoms came and went, some days without anything, almost normal, others, with PGAD and OCD symptoms again. (30 mg Paxil Daily) 

September 27, 2017: Started 27mg Paxil Daily at 8:00am or as close to that time as possible.

Currently: PGAD comes and goes, some days Im almost normal, other days, the tingles are there, not sure if it is actual symptoms or me being obsessive about symptoms. I hope this goes away soon. I hope I heal. Some OCD flareups. Trying my best to stay positive. Taking a break off college for now. 

I am not a doctor, any posts I make or advise I give is my opinion only.