JoLe

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Frogie
On 9/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, Frogie said:

I don’t know if this is where I should post this or not. If not, could a moderator please move it.

I have been crushing my Xanax with the back of a spoon on a plate. It took forever to get them into a fine powder. That was the worst part about having to weigh them out and putting the powder in capsules.

I found, on Amazon.com a pill grinder. It’s made by B&C Home Goods and called Premium Pill Grinder. It was $15.99 and worth every penny. You pour the pills in, put the handle on and turn it. It grinds the pills into a fine powder and has a storage container on the bottom.

Just wanted to share in case anyone was interested in saving time and a mess crushing your pills by hand.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thank you ChessieCat for putting this where it needed to go.

I wasn’t sure, but wanted to share the information.

Hope you are doing well. You’re getting lower and lower! That’s wonderful 🌼

Take care,

Frogie xx

insomniac

This forum recommends using Gemini-20 scales for tapering/weighing tablets.

I bought 2 different scales from ebay and aliexpress that look like exactly like Gemini-20 scales, but are both made in China. I am worried about their accuracy. This forum has recommended buying Gemini-20 scales from Amazon but I see on Amazon some reviewers of scales have complained about scales sold as Gemini not being that.

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE place for Gemini-20 scales that offer international shipping and aren't just for sale in the USA?

Thank You

Sassenach

Hi Insomniac

Welcome to SA

You are right to be concerned about accuracy, it is so important for tapering and cutting.

Amazon UK sell this scale.

This number

ASIN

B0012TDNAM refers to the genuine article

I would email and ask for confirmatiom of the number and country of origin to be sure.

You should then be covered by Amazon.

Sassenach

Cathy4

Hi, just wondering if this the correct thread to ask my question:

I am on 75mg of zoloft, and I want to go ahead and make some capsules out of zoloft powder for when I’m ready to taper to 67.5mg.

I’m going to calibrate my scale, and I have the gelatin capsules, but what I’m wondering is this:  once I crush zoloft tablets into powder and make capsules, will they keep for awhile?  (Cause I’m not quite ready to drop yet but since I have the time, I’d like to make them).  

I assume just keeping them in a jar in a cool, dark, dry place will be okay(?)

Thank you very much.

Cathy

brassmonkey

You shouldn't have any trouble keeping them that way for several months.

Cathy4

Thank you so much, brass monkey.  I really appreciate the help/reassurance.  🙏

Cathy

Cathy4

And I have one more quick question:  I weighed 20 tablets of 100mg zoloft and there was a range of weight from 305mg to 313mg.  The average weight among those 20 tablets is 309mg.  

Is it okay at this point to go with the average weight? or is it prudent to grind up one pill at a time, making the 67.5mg dosage as accurate as possible?  

I was very surprised to find how much variation in weight of these 100mg tablets there is.  I’ll recalibrate my scale and try again, just to ensure against user error.  
Cathy

brassmonkey

We generally use the average weight of the tablets.  However, it's only relevant when establishing the starting dose of a taper.  After that we calculate a specific weight that is to be measured for each dose based on the average weight starting point.  The powder used to make up the dose comes from a stockpile of one or more ground up tablets, so their weight is irrelevant.

The strength of the pill is divided by the average pill weight to provide a ratio that is referred to as the AIC or Active ingredient Concentration.  In this case it would be 100/309 = 0.323 which means that there are 0.323 mg of active ingredient for every 1mg of pill weight.  Using this ratio we can calculate the pill weight of any dose strength we need. When we measure out that specific dose weight the differences in weight of the original pills goes away.

If you divide your desired dose strength of 67.5mgai (milligrams active ingredient) by the AIC 0.323 you get 208.  67.5/0.323 = 208 which would be the weight of your desired dose that you would measure on the scales.

Cathy4

Oh my.  Okay, Brassmonkey.  

So the batch of 20 pills I weighed can be an accurate representation of the 3 month supply I have?  (Meaning, whenever I lower my dosage by 10%, I can use 309mg as the average weight without having to weigh 20 more individual pills, etc.)

Okay, I think I’m understanding this.  Yes, I got 208mg as well using Altostrata’s formula.  

Okay, wrapping my head around the AIC.  Perfect, I think I’m getting it.  Thanks so much.  🙏🏻 

Cathy

brassmonkey

The 309mgpw (milligrams pill weight) gives you a starting point to calculate your doses.  For your first reduction you multiply 309 by 90% to get the weight of your new dose.  309 X .9 = 278. This is an example of the first reduction of the taper. For the next reduction you would use the same formula but substitute 278 for the starting number so you would get 278 X .9 = 250.  

In your case, you are currently using 208mgpw.  So you would multiply that by 0.9 to get the weight of your next reduced dose.  208 X .9 = 187mgpw.  This progression is followed throughout the entire taper for a 10% reduction.  Meaning that after the initial reduction the 309mgpw is no longer needed.

The formula for a 10% reduction is: current dose weight X 0.9 = reduced dose weight

208 X 0.9 = 187mgpw the does weight of your next reduction that you would weigh on the scale and record in your records.

The same formula is used to calculate the dose strength; current dose strength X 0.9 reduced dose strength.  Your are currently taking a dose strength of 67.5mgai 

67.5 X 0.9 = 60.8mgai for the strength of your next reduction that you would talk about in your posts and record in your records.

The only time you will need the average pill weight again would be if you change manufacturers of the pills and the new ones are  significantly different is weight.  If that happens tell us and we will walk you through the new calculations.

Cathy4

Excellent, thanks so much, Brassmonkey.  I understand, and I feel more confident about how to go about this process.  

Now I can prepare my first batch of 67.5mg pills!!!   
Much appreciation,

Cathy

pinciukas

Hello guys,

One question I am using 20 mg Seroxat pills and now I am on 6 mg I would like to know whether my cuts are good? I split pill in a half and then shaving with razor until 6 mg. I am doing this 17 months but it is good way to tapper? More I read here more I am confused.

Gridley
4 hours ago, pinciukas said:

I would like to know whether my cuts are good? I split pill in a half and then shaving with razor until 6 mg.

How do you know you have 6mg?  Are you weighing with a scale?

pinciukas
23 hours ago, Gridley said:

How do you know you have 6mg?  Are you weighing with a scale?

Yes I am weighing with a scale

Gridley
3 minutes ago, pinciukas said:

Yes I am weighing with a scale

The way to use a scale is you first determine how much your 20mg Seroxat pill weighs.

If you want 6mg, you would shave off and weigh until you had 6/20 of the pill's weight.  

insomniac
On 10/7/2019 at 2:39 AM, Sassenach said:

Hi Insomniac

Welcome to SA

You are right to be concerned about accuracy, it is so important for tapering and cutting.

Amazon UK sell this scale.

This number

ASIN

B0012TDNAM refers to the genuine article

I would email and ask for confirmatiom of the number and country of origin to be sure.

You should then be covered by Amazon.

Sassenach

Those exact scales also won't post to Israel but I got a good look at how the packaging of  genuine Gemini-20 scales should look.   It helped me find another one on Amazon. 

I did a comparison when I received it and saw the difference between the gemini scales and the cheap China copy was  0.03g. That is not important now but will be later on.

Thank You

Edited by Altostrata
added quote for continuity

brassmonkey

A scale that only weighs to .03g is not going to be useful for measuring doses for a taper.  Most of the doses required need to be accurate to the milligram (.001) level to provide a consistent slow taper.  Making cuts that differ by .03g will cause problems.  There are a number of generic scales that will weigh with an accuracy .001g. Please look around  some more and find one of those.  You'll be very glad you did.

Frogie
On 9/29/2019 at 4:28 PM, ChessieCat said:

I've added a link to the Pill Crusher.  That's a really great idea.  I had no idea that they existed.  I'll add the information to Post #1 as well.

Thanks Frogie.

You’re very welcome. I had no idea they existed either, just found it by accident.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy