SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Digestive problems: nausea, diarrhoea, bloating, GERD

alexjuice

A gastro-enterologist believes my problem is due to dysfunction of my digestive system, that it doesn't work properly to digest food.

I've succeeded in inducing it to behave properly in short bursts with certain Rx and OTC digestive products, but these have had significant side effects. And haven't provided permanent relief.

At present I am many weeks into a low-residue diet which is benficial to a degree. The diet may be health-negative in the long run, so I hope my GI tract can get back to properly digesting food.

Reflux, in the broad sense is somewhat better but I am also suffering from laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). Lately this has been getting worse. Doc stuck a camera down my nostril and confirmed LCR wear on the vocal chords. Of all my symptoms so far this one is my least favorite, or maybe just the most recent, as my ability to talk audibly and painfree deteriorates during each day. Totally depressing.

I am researching forums for this problem. Interestingly, I've encountered a few desperate people with serious forms of gastroparesis who are considering SSRIs to influence serotonin in the gut. Actually it seems their Doc's are out of ideas and spitballing solutions of the cuff. These folks talk a bit like those of us on here -- they are weary of Rx and Doctors and turn to each other for collaborative solutions. Anyway, when I saw that bit on SSRIs I reacted as if in a movie. Imagine a guy in slo-mo, screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"...

Anyway, if anyone has had issues with voice/vocal chords in w/d (it seems Effexor causes signigicant GI issues for many) please share your experience.

Hope everyone is doing well...considering.

alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

SRI detroy muscles all over the body, i have legs pains, abdomen pains, back, spinal, ribcage pains, all muscles are bad, digestive motility is one, the other organs are often in disorder too, all this is muscles inflamations and it takes time to heal

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Moderator Emeritus

Reading about the enteric nervous system, the nervous system in the gut, it seems that something like 70% of our body's serotonin is in that nervous system, in our guts, so no wonder SSRIs cause so many digestive related problems.

Going on the specific carbohydrate diet (I'm trying the GAPS diet version) made my reflux go away instantly, but probably any low-carb diet would have done that. Still, it's a diet that has helped lots of people with various bowel disorders as well as autism which apparently almost always has an intestinal component too. I wonder if it would help people with disordered digestion due to damage from SSRIs and other psych meds.

I figure at the very least, if my gut is sending zillions of messages to my brain every second I want them to be happy messages if possible.

Do you know anyone who's tried the GAPs diet for psych med healing? besides me, and Gianna.

Oh, it also reduced my inflammatory symptoms, the constant pain is better, and my cog fog is much improved now too and my memory is also better. Memory was already getting better due to the taper though.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Do you have a link to something describing the GAPS diet, Rhi?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alex.....

I just posted a thread re: Fundamental Physiology and Anatomy of the Digestive System. I believe you will find this quite informative and thus, helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to place a link to this thread but I placed it within the Symptoms forum.

BTW, I had severe acid reflux ........burning in my throat during C/T xanax WD but chose NOT to take any gastro drugs (due to past horrid experiences) and the reflux eventually resolved on it's own, after many months, as my CNS and digestive system NATURALLY healed.......uninterrupted by any toxic medical interventions which never cure the problem but will only create more severe acid rebound once the said drug is ceased abruptly (as I mentioned in another thread).

Benzos and many other AD can cause similar degree of suffering that you are experiencing. I know from personal experience as well as witnessing many others, on various forums, over the years.

It's beyond torturous since, the need to regularly ingest food is a basic for survival. I truly feel for your suffering since, I've been there so many times but I'm doing pretty well, digestive wise, after years of repeated psyche drug assaults and WD experiences.

So sorry you have to go through this but it will all resolve as you heal from these toxic drugs.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Thanks Punar

You are right about what an ordeal these GI problems are. I am managing along ok right now and believe I will continue to get better in time.

I appreciate your support and help...

I've learned much about the body and its response to Rx.

There is a silver lining in my troubles for sure. I won't be fooled again.

Best to you...

Alex

- Zimmerman

Thanks Punar

You are right about what an ordeal these GI problems are. I am managing along ok right now and believe I will continue to get better in time.

I appreciate your support and help...

I've learned much about the body and its response to Rx.

There is a silver lining in my troubles for sure. I won't be fooled again.

Best to you...

Alex

So unfortunate that we have to become more educated than the doctor's who prescribe such toxic treatments to their patients. Anyway, I won't even expand on that thought since we're all on the same page about this subject. (lol).

So glad to hear you're doing a bit better Alex! May this continue for you!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

I also had strong gut problems during my wd, but it has resolved a bit. Used to get instant dizziness whenever I ate something for example. I am trying to drink a lot of probiotic drinks now as they are one of the best things healthy people can do for their digestive system. Hope it helps me as well.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

I also had strong gut problems during my wd, but it has resolved a bit. Used to get instant dizziness whenever I ate something for example. I am trying to drink a lot of probiotic drinks now as they are one of the best things healthy people can do for their digestive system. Hope it helps me as well.

What type of drinks have you used?

I have am retrying probiotic capsules right now. Didn't help the first time, but things are different now.

alex.i

- Zimmerman

I am trying kefir. So far I had no problems drinking them now and then, but I plan to do it much more regularly. Maybe every second day. I will tell you if it helps me or not.

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

I am trying kefir. So far I had no problems drinking them now and then, but I plan to do it much more regularly. Maybe every second day. I will tell you if it helps me or not.

Is kefir alcoholic? That is, contain alcohol?

- Zimmerman

Nope, no alcohol :)

It is a kind of yoghurt with lots of probiotics. Very healthy!

• 2 weeks later...

wow. i've never once made the connection of my stomach issues being related to my medication. i became lactose intolerant in college and thought it was just because i was an adult. is it possible that the medication set that off? i would really like to be able to drink milk again and not have to pay $4 a liter for my special milk,

currently on 600mg of lamictal, while tapering from 150mg of effexor xr. currently on 50mg of effexor.

• 5 months later...

Do you have a link to something describing the GAPS diet, Rhi?

gapsguide.com

Proprietor has a book for sale, but the site is not a sales pitch. Plus the book is good.

- Zimmerman

• 1 month later...

Latest inclination is to think my reflux (LPR) is caused my motility disorder caused by AD and atpyical AP w/d, possibly exacerbated by insufficient intestinal microorganism balance.

I suspect my problem with sweet cravings is triggered by (among other things) by my bodies craving for sugars/carbs which, as I understand it, allows for tryptophan -> 5ht metabolism to occur with less competitive resistance.

Textbook GAPS/SCD has posed problems. The longer I go, the more reflux, sexual and sleep dysfunction I encounter. Small amounts of sweet potatoes or, secondly, white potatoes (with skin, no crap) provide the best antidote for these symptoms, however both are strictly prohibited by the diet.

These diets have taught me a LOT. I now use GAPS as a foundation for my nutrition and spend a lot of time on GAPS related sites. I also follow both high volume Yahoo lists and now know the farmers' markets where I buy meat, bones and organic veggies.

I'm amazed at how much of the convention wisdom in medicine (and other fields) is just wrong and falsely motivated.

In summation, I'm still guessing at my problem. Today's guess = motility dysfunction more primary than insufficient stomach acid or microorganism overgrowth. Also, benzos aren't helping, IMO, but complicating my gastr0 issues.

As always, stay off Drugs kids. (You can drink coffee if you want, Alex approves.)

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

I agree, Alex. I've always thought your issues were motility rather than stomach acid.

If eating a little potato helps, eat potato!

Good to hear GAPS has given you somewhat of a handle on your diet and you feel more in control of your situation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

alex, you might have considered this already and rejected it -- years ago, when I was trying to correct IBS, I was drinking aloe vera juice. I can say from personal experience it does stimulate bowel motility. As I recall, it has a neutral flavor.

(I was successful, eventually, in correcting IBS, but as I recall it was Metamucil that did the trick.)

Thanks for the tip.

I did try an aloe vera product, it was clear and didnt need refrigeration, but it was during the phase in August when, if you recall, I was eye dropped with some homeopathic solution that spun me out. I only tried the aloe Vera once or twice, experienced nausea and stopped since I fell backwards after the eye dropper deal and had to suspend everything as anxiety was running wild.

It may be time to try again.

Slippery elm and DGL are also on deck.

I'll keep at it!

Cheers,

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

I'd go for fresh organic aloe vera juice.

I just found the bottle. It is George's Brand 100% Aloe Vera, fractionally distilled.

The other brands at the store required refrigeration. I agree that a less processed and organic product is a better direction to go in.

- Zimmerman

• 2 months later...

yup, according to the sites I looked up on the web, I have gastroparesis. I've had the symptoms for a long time now, they are very uncomfortable, but I've just dealt with it and tried to ignore it.

I think it is likely related to long term ssri use and now WD, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had it. Are these symptoms likely to pass too? I've had these symptoms for so long now that they've just become a part of life, but it would nice if they went away one day.

Any suggestions on ways to reduce the bloating, pain, distension, satiety? I always feel uncomfortably full.

Cheers.

I have the same problem. I never eat normal meals now, cos I always feel so full and bloated when I do eat. And I have to eat small amounts too. Like you, it's just become a part of life for me.

I'd like to know if there's anything that helps it too..

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

What have you found out about gastroparesis, Nickie?

• Moderator Emeritus

Bloating, pain, distension, and satiety were symptoms of gluten intolerance for me. I had them for years (diagnosed as IBS), then came across a book describing the symptoms of gluten intolerance. After cutting out all wheat, barley and rye from my diet, my symptoms were gone in a few days.

There are medical tests for gluten intolerance, but just cutting out the above foods told me all I needed to know.

I have to read labels before buying any food or supplements. It's amazing how much wheat there is in things you wouldn't suspect. Some brands of soy sauce (Kikkoman for one) are made entirely from wheat. Most canned soups are loaded with wheat.

As for baked goods, I usually make my own, but Trader Joe's has a great brown rice bread plus lots of other gluten-free products. Gluten sensitivity is so widespread that even the local supermarkets are starting to carry some items.

For the "IBS", I was once given a drug that's identical to Valium. :blink:

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Some folks are reporting restrictive non-irritating diets like SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets help with this symptom pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also suffering from gastroparesis, which I attribute to eight years of using Zoloft. I believe the Zoloft messed with the nerves in my brain so badly, that now the nerves in my stomach are not functioning correctly to digest my food. Just my theory anyway.

Does anyone know if the digestive problems get better in time??

Zoloft 50mg for 7.5 years

Developed akathisia while on the drug Dec. 2009

Severe withdrawal/damage

Drug-free since May 5, 2011

• 4 weeks later...

ADMIN NOTE Overview of some diets and treatments for digestive problems http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3413-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/?p=195843

Also see:
Food sensitivities

Gluten Sensitivity Vs. Celiac Disease Vs. Gluten Intolerance...

Histamine food intolerance

SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets

Probiotics and gut health

That acid reflux pill may be causing your health problems

Hi everyone, It is just over a year now since I have been completely off drugs. I have gone through a very severe withdrawal. About three months ago, I developed severe gastrointestinal symptoms, seemingly overnight. I was fine one day, sick the next. I have gone through thousands of dollars worth of tests, only to have them all come back normal. I am wondering if my stomach problems could be linked to the withdrawal?? What do you all think? My symptoms, which came out of the blue are: Nausea Queasiness Severe acid reflux (never had before in my life) Bloating/full feeling Loss of appetite Significant weight loss (have lost 20 lbs. and am now considered underweight) I have just started a gluten-free diet to see if this helps my symptoms, but I just don't know anymore. My digestive system just does not feel normal. Do you think it is related to withdrawal, and if so, will it get better on its own??? Thanks, Sunny Edited by Altostrata
updated

Severe withdrawal/damage

hi Sunny,

I shared a post in another section here today on gut health.

A lot of people in withdrawal find that complete healing means tending to the gut. For me it's been and continues to be key.

I've done a lot of research and study and experimentation on this.

you can see today's post here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2326-irritable-bowel-syndrome-clearly-linked-to-gut-bacteria-and-how-i-cured-my-ibs-by-knowing-this/page__pid__23016#entry23016

it talks about irritable bowel syndrome...but that's just a garbage pail term for all sorts of gut and stomach issues...

anyway...within that post are links to more info on healing the gut too...

for me it's been a journey of discovery and I'm still learning...and changing food and diet etc as I learn more and more.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I've gone gluten free and dairy free too...I've also discovered a lot of food sensitivities...it's a process I'm still figuring out...

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

I am experirncing lots of GI issues...mostly bloating and a feeling like my stomach isnt digesting food properly.

I've gone gluten-free and that helped the bloating a lot, and also helped me feel better mentally.

Still struggle to digest heavy foods like protein though.

Phil...

I've been playing with my diet for several years now and it's an ongoing evolution of lessons...

I can make two suggestions enzymes and probiotics...both may help the issues you're experiencing...

and diet may also need to continue to be tweaked...

good luck...my gut is largely healed now but I'm still learning about food sensitivities etc...

Thanks Gia :) I keep meaning to try probiotics and enzymes, they're definitely next on my list of things to explore.

I also eat pro-biotic yogurts but am not sure they do a lot..

I know what you mean about it being an evolution of lessons..I feel like I'm constantly learning new things when it comes to diet.

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

I have had an extremely severe withdrawal from Zoloft. I have been completely off drugs for about a year and a half, but I don't consider myself recovered yet. About nine months ago, I started having a lot of digestive problems. I had lots of tests done, but the doctors said there is nothing wrong with me. I was diagnosed with "dyspepsia" and "irritable bowel syndrome". I am now wondering if all of my digestive problems are related to the withdrawal from Zoloft. I know that the gut contains the same neurons and chemicals as the brain, so it would make sense that the gut would be just as affected by withdrawal as the brain.

Anyone else experience digestive problems during withdrawal? Will they resolve on their own??? I have been told by doctors that I just have to "live with" the symptoms, but that is easier said than done.

Thanks!

Sunny

Severe withdrawal/damage

Hi Sunny...digestive problems are common among anyone who has been on psych drugs at all -- on and off of them both.

I've done extensive research and personal healing in this area. I had severe IBS with chronic explosive diarrhea for about 3 decades...I've healed my gut completely...it's the one way I've had total recovery...I'm very sick in other ways still...but I trust having a sound gut will allow the other healing I need. I've had normal healthy bowel movements for several years because the IBS was the first thing I tended to when I started coming off drugs...

I will share what I've done about this...at this point I have tons of info...see what speaks to you...it might be overwhelming at first...but the fact is you can heal your gut and most regular doctors don't have a clue about how to do it.

Nutrition and gut health, Mental health and diet

http://beyondmeds.com/gut-health/

there are threads on this board where people talk about healing protocols too...here is one: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/890-scdgapspaleo-diets/

Hello all,

I have had an extremely severe withdrawal from Zoloft. I have been completely off drugs for about a year and a half, but I don't consider myself recovered yet. About nine months ago, I started having a lot of digestive problems. I had lots of tests done, but the doctors said there is nothing wrong with me. I was diagnosed with "dyspepsia" and "irritable bowel syndrome". I am now wondering if all of my digestive problems are related to the withdrawal from Zoloft. I know that the gut contains the same neurons and chemicals as the brain, so it would make sense that the gut would be just as affected by withdrawal as the brain.

Anyone else experience digestive problems during withdrawal? Will they resolve on their own??? I have been told by doctors that I just have to "live with" the symptoms, but that is easier said than done.

Thanks!

Sunny

seems like we have some similarities. I too was on drugs for 7.5 years and am now almost a year and a half off. Actually more like 14 months. I never had digestive problems before drugs and dont have anything severe now, but I do have some issues with my colon that developed while on paxil. I would get horrible spasms every once in a while and also blood down there. Over time things sort of leveled out but this past 8 months the spasms are worse and it sounds like colitis or something. Thankfully I dont have diarrhea, but get a little constipated which I am not sure is from the colon issues or the vice versa. One thing that I believe helped a lot is probiotics. I drink raw kefir and sauerkraut. I also drink home made bone stock. Perhaps you can look into the GAPS diet as a way to heal any issues. I also started taking citracel which helps with the pain. My best relief comes from the citracel and probiotics. Both help and just taking one does not help much.

I hope things resolve on their own. This past few months have been hard on me, but mostly likely some stressful life events are making things MUCH worse. I recently developed constant muscle twitching and pain. Something I never had until now. While on drugs I did get the jerks and stuff, but during withdrawal they were minimal and now suddenly twitching. The twicthing has dies down thankfully.

I would think that since the digestive system has muscles, and these drugs do something to our muscles, then they can easily disturb the digestive system.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy