Ryano: Tapering advice - short term use

Ryano

I've been on Remeron 7.5 mg for 7 weeks and I feel it is doing more harm than good. I do get sleep on it, but such a low dose is not helping with depression and I feel like its making me more unstable. At first, I believe it helped, but that quickly changed. It seemed it wasn't helping so I decided to up dose to 11.25 mg. For my fragile CNS that is just too activating for me and wont be able to do more than 7.5. Dr. Rx this to help with sleep and depression after coming off short term benzo use. Still in w/d from benzos so its hard to tell what's what. Wish I could do it without meds but not sure I can. I am open to trying another A/D and am talking with my Dr. soon. If, perhaps, I chose not to, what would a taper schedule look like for such short term use?

Many thanks,

Ryan

Edited by baroquep

6/28/2017 - finished short taper of 1 mg Klon (3 months total use)

9/27 - Started 7.5 mg Remeron

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ryano: Tapering advice - short term use
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ryano,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants, am glad that you found the site before going any further in your taper.  It sounds like your situation may be a little more complicated as it looks like you are currently dealing with issues regarding withdrawal from short-term benzodiazepine use and it would probably be a good idea to resolve that issue before starting to taper off of Remeron.  Unfortunately it is our experience that very few doctors have any practical experience helping their patients safely taper off of these drugs and It is never a very good idea to start an antidepressant to deal with withdrawal symptoms after withdrawing from a benzo.  I'm sorry to hear that you have found yourself in this situation.     

I would suggest that you also post an introduction topic in the Members Only Benzo Forum so that you can work with a moderator that deals specifically with benzodiazepine to help you stabilize after discontinuing the benzo (see link below).  We will coordinate our efforts with the moderators at the Benzo Forum regarding your situation and advise you accordingly.  

Members Only Benzo Forum

A few questions:

How long were you on the benzo?

Which benzo were you taking?

What withdrawal symptoms are you currently dealing with?

We ask all members to provide their drug history as a signature.  This will be a permanent part of your introduction and It helps moderators to be able to see all of your details at a glance.  You can find the information on how to complete your signature at the link below:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

•    Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
    •    A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
    •    Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
    •    Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
    •    Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5