laurel53: Introduction to the group. Please help me with my withdrawal

laurel53

Hello, I am in the beginning of citalopram withdrawal. This is day 14, going off at around 2.5 mg. after being on 5 mg. for 8 months. I tried to tell my doctor that I wanted and needed a very slow taper, since  he didn't think I should be on the citalopram with another AD. This cocktail had been prescribed by a different doctor in 2007. I had started at 20 mg. in combination with Cymbalta. Everyone in the particular current health care system is saying "redundant" and have tried to get me just to stop at 5 mg. I I've been with my current doctor for 2 years, and he is very frustrated that it has taken me so long to dump the drug. Iwas feeling great until the withdrawal symptoms started. I am having strong and loud  and occasionally painful heart palpitations, whoosh noises in my head, and cannot sleep the last several nights. Very tired and spacy, of course. I do get flashes of anxiety, which tend to push me into dark thoughts. Other weird somatic things that are less bothersome. I do have 21 10 mg. tablets left over, I would be interested in how to reinstate at a small dose (I had been trying to approximate 2.5 mg., but the generic pills are hard to cut.) , which seems to be the wisdom of this group. I had only taken that dose for around 3 weeks before quitting.

I am sensitive to meds, and had a wild ride getting off Prozac in 1992 (then back on 7 months later), Effexor in 2004, and the granddaddy, Klonopin, in 2006.

Now I can't remember what I am supposed to include in my sig file. Glad to be here. Thanks!

Laurel on the Lake

Prozac, 10 mg., April 1991 to April 1994. 

Prozac, 20 mg., December 1994 to spring 2003.

Effexor, dose not remembered, fall 2004 to summer 2005; variety of other ADs tried until spring 2006

Klonopin, fall 2004 to summer 2006

Citalopram 20 mg., March 2006 until taper, starting March 2016 ;  off at 2.5mg  mg Jan 1, 2018; reinstatement 1 mg Jan 29, 2018

Cymbalta, added fall 2007, current dose 120 mg.

I also take 10 mg of amitryptiline for pain at bedtime, 800 mg gabapentin twice daily, and 20 mg buspirone twice daily. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to laurel53: Introduction to the group. Please help me with my withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi laurel and welcome to SA,

Here is the preferred format to create a drug signature:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The idea of reinstatement isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  Please read Post #1 of the reinstatement topic.

Here are some helpful links:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ (see the links to various drugs in Post #1 for your particular drug)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

It's important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your own introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

, Okay. Grateful for the science people on this site. As I mentioned in my intro post, on 1/1/18  I was off my not very perfectly cut 2.5 mg. of citralopam. After cutting do awn from 5 for half a yearI started feeling some anger issues on Wed. and Thurs. And the onset of difficult sleep. Over the weekend I had strong heart palps, little stabs of anxiety, and restlessness. No sleep, really, until last night. Heart noise loud as were ears. I woke up this morning feeling better, and good news of having slept. Heart rate stll high but not knocking me around.

Today another provider who gets it prescribed liquid citralopam for me and recommended 1 mg. Based on what I have said and what is posted about reinstatement on this site, would you recommend it for me, and if so, at what dose. I took tablets before, generic. Does switching to liquid present a problem?

I feel like I have a bad winter virus, with slight fever, chills, runny nose, headache. Or not a cold? No muscle pain. Maybe a flare up of a other condition, said my provider, who treats that.

I had been sleeping so well in Dec. Sigh. Now to do my Sig file.

Laurel on the Lake

Effexor, dose not remembered, fall 2004 to summer 2005; variety of other ADs tried until spring 2006

Citalopram 20 mg., March 2006 until taper, starting March 2016 ;  off at 2.5mg  mg Jan 1, 2018; reinstatement 1 mg Jan 29, 2018

I also take 10 mg of amitryptiline for pain at bedtime, 800 mg gabapentin twice daily, and 20 mg buspirone twice daily. 

On 1/14/2018 at 2:47 PM, Littlegrandma said:

I had emotional blunting the whole time on lexapro. Now, my mind races w/ the anxiety. Over-emotional. 

No , I don’t see that light yet. I have flu like symptoms everyday. I just don’t feel well. The worse is the dp/dr. The foggy brain terrifies me. I sleep so little, I feel like a walking zombie. 

I was just on my hands and knees washing a small section of the floor and my tinnitus ramped up. Dang. Won’t do that again for awhile. 

Id be traveling also if not going through this. My husband still works but we had to put off a couple trips because of me. We go many weekends on the motorcycle in the summer-fall. Last year I could only make 2 day trips. I feel bad because this wd is affecting his life too. And all of my family. 

Do you follow Baylissa at all? Today’s inspiration had me in tears. Reading and listening to her has given me hope or assurance that this will end well, someday. 

What is dp/dr? Hope you’re doing better by now. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

2 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

What is dp/dr? Hope you’re doing better by now. 

Depersonalization/ derealization 

foggy brain

Its been a tough day. Didn’t start too bad, but got involved with some family chaos that sent me into a tailspin. Grandkids just left an hour ago. About ready for bed. Been up since 3:30ish. 

How was your day?

Lex  4.3mg,  3/2/18  Ativan ,5 mg,  lunesta 2 mg , toprol  25 mg                                                            

Oct 16-28 2018 C/O to 19 mg V from 1.5 mg Ativan, 1.3 mg lunesta 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

jan 23 - pneumonia, 2 AB’s. 

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

July 6- 11 mg V- ugly bad

july 11- 10.72 mg V, 4.3 lex, 

25 mg toprol

48 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

Depersonalization/ derealization 

foggy brain

Its been a tough day. Didn’t start too bad, but got involved with some family chaos that sent me into a tailspin. Grandkids just left an hour ago. About ready for bed. Been up since 3:30ish. 

How was your day?

It started out bad, got a little better. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

On January 14, 2018 at 2:28 PM, laurel53 said:

Hello, I am in the beginning of citalopram withdrawal. This is day 14, going off at around 2.5 mg. after being on 5 mg. for 8 months. I tried to tell my doctor that I wanted and needed a very slow taper, since  he didn't think I should be on the citalopram with another AD. This cocktail had been prescribed by a different doctor in 2007. I had started at 20 mg. in combination with Cymbalta. Everyone in the particular current health care system is saying "redundant" and have tried to get me just to stop at 5 mg. I I've been with my current doctor for 2 years, and he is very frustrated that it has taken me so long to dump the drug. Iwas feeling great until the withdrawal symptoms started. I am having strong and loud  and occasionally painful heart palpitations, whoosh noises in my head, and cannot sleep the last several nights. Very tired and spacy, of course. I do get flashes of anxiety, which tend to push me into dark thoughts. Other weird somatic things that are less bothersome. I do have 21 10 mg. tablets left over, I would be interested in how to reinstate at a small dose (I had been trying to approximate 2.5 mg., but the generic pills are hard to cut.) , which seems to be the wisdom of this group. I had only taken that dose for around 3 weeks before quitting.

I am sensitive to meds, and had a wild ride getting off Prozac in 1992 (then back on 7 months later), Effexor in 2004, and the granddaddy, Klonopin, in 2006.

Now I can't remember what I am supposed to include in my sig file. Glad to be here. Thanks!

Hi Laurel,

Welcome.  I'm glad you stood up to your doctor about a slow taper.  That's awesome!  The belief that one can stop these drugs without slow, careful tapers is so widespread and so very wrong.  

I'm one of those people who had initial insomnia that cleared up, then a euphoria period and then a slow slide down, down, down to the depths until at 5-6 months off the med I was extremely ill.  Then it got worse.  And then it got worse!  

So, I'm happy for you that at two weeks off the meds you know you need to reinstate.  I hope you have an easy task ahead!

Peace,

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Now I am nervous. Is 1 mg. too much for Reinstatement? Except for this cold, I feel okay today, and don't want to screw things up. 

Laurel on the Lake

• Administrator

Welcome, laurel.

1mg would be reasonable for your reinstatement of Celexa. If that makes you nervous, start at 0.5mg and see what that does. You'll have to give it at least 4 days to feel the whole effect. Please let us know how you're doing.

120mg Cymbalta is an excessive dosage, particularly with amitriptyline. If one doctor prescribed all these drugs for you, I would not take psychiatric drug advice from that doctor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I know. Even  my primary care doc always questions the dose. I do not see that doctor anymore. 

Laurel on the Lake

I did not start the reinstatement because I had such a bad cold or flu with fever and other symptoms. Now it is day 19, and I wonder if I still can. I hate thinking how awful things might be down the road.. Feel like I screwed myself over royally. I have no appetite, elevated pulse, some sleep issues, and feel anxious. Dark thought are flooding in again. Need some feedback and support and courage. I woke up yesterday with the thought "I don't like people." That is not me. I am frightened.

Laurel on the Lake

Laurel,

I understand that frightened feeling.  You have been through this before with Prozac WD? And Effexor I suppose.  I don't know much about reinstating, but I do think that the advice I've seen here is that 19 days is not too late and even a month or more out is ok.  It all depends on your body and how it handles it, but please try not to worry about the future now.  Do what you can to prevent the WD from getting worse.    

I know all about those dark thoughts even the thought "I don't like people."  I didn't realize I was in WD back then.  Remember the thoughts go away.  You've done a good job so far of protecting your system with the slow taper.  You might be surprised and reinstatement is a perfect fix.

Try to visualize everything being fine.  Maybe the Cymbalta will smooth it all out for you more than you expect.

Oh, the flu!  That's rough.  Keep taking in fluids and make sure you get some citrus fruit.  I know food isn't very much fun for you right now, but try to remember what it used to taste like.  Visualize that.

Even if it's bumpy, you know it's WD; you're a veteran.  You won't be confused or likely to take rash action.  You can do this and ride it out.

Do you have any magnesium or Epsom salts for a bath?  Can you put on a guided meditation?

Rosetta

I see Altostrata said 

On January 16, 2018 at 3:54 PM, Altostrata said:

If that makes you nervous, start at 0.5mg and see what that does. You'll have to give it at least 4 days to feel the whole effect. Please let us know how you're doing.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Finally attempted a reinstatement because I was hurting so badly. I have done a full week of 1 mg citalopram liquid. Not sure I am better. I have crazy sleep, some nights I do and others not at all. Think the twitching is better. Around midmorning I have intense symptoms that physically hurt and create a cascade of unrelenting painful thoughts and emotions. Spasms of depression and heart pounding anxiety. I have had to go out in our very cold winter weather and do some extreme walking to cope. Then, mid-afternoon I have a reprieve and feel "normal" for a while, until I start to worry around bedtime.

I have had no luck with my doctor's office getting validation for what is happening. I Can't believe what they don't know and how they are prone to patronizing patients. The therapist who runs a group I attend is totally cognizant of AD withdrawal. Very supportive.

So, thoughts about my now being on this 1 mg of citalopram and what to do with this hellish situation? Thanks so much!

Laurel on the Lake

• Moderator Emeritus
Remember that symptoms won't improve right away.  It takes about 4 days to for your nervous system to notice a change and then a week or longer to stabilize at that dose, so it may take a while to sort it all out. 

Would you say that symptoms are slightly better since reinstatement?  You did mention you thought the twitching was better and that you had a reprieve.  That is encouraging.  

Or would you say that symptoms are about the same?  Or would you say that symptoms are worse since the reinstatement?  

Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms.

I'm sorry you're getting no validation from your doctor.  Very few doctors know anything about withdrawal. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi, Laurel,

I'm glad your therapist understands.  It is shocking that the doctors are so clueless.

I hope the reinstatement works for you!  

I suggest you keep track of the time of each dose of each of the 3 medications and the time of your various symptoms on paper.  Then post here how each day goes. Altostrata may be able to use that info to help you determine if the dose is too much or not.  She might be able to see from the timing of dose and symptoms if any of medications are causing a side effect in the hours after you take them.  

You have a mid-afternoon reprieve and then anxiety at bedtime?  Is the worry about whether you will sleep or about other subjects? Do you take any med at dinner or before bed?

i would put the reinstatement in your drug signature, too, with the date and the milligrams.

Wishing you relief soon,

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Will do.

Edited by laurel53
Figured out how to edit signature

Laurel on the Lake

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thank youI 

Laurel on the Lake

Laurel would you give consideration to making a submission to the Scottish govt.

Be great if you could.

see my drug sig for details.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Have been keeping track of my meds and symptoms. Started to feel better, then had three good days. On those days the heart  palpitations seemed less bothersome and I only had intermittent anxiety. Yesterday, I had all the discomfort again, and today feels similar. Twitches, Chest  hurts in a vague but irritating way, and I am not at all in a good frame of mind. 

I am sleeping better with white noise..

Laurel on the Lake

That's good that the white noise is helping.  You need sleep most of all.  Three good days!! Yeah! Wonderful.  Thats a good sign.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks, Rosetta! I hope things improve again. Yesterday was a very twitchy day, as was this morning when I woke up early. How do I tell if I am on too much or not enough citalopram? Should I have not reinstated? Overwhelmed by these thoughts. Frustrated that I cannot talk to my doctor and have him believe me. I see from reading around the forum that my experiences mirror those of others. 

Does anyone have suggestions for how to work with this in therapy?

Laurel on the Lake

Also, when I began the reinstatement I took the first dose in the afternoon. I have been keeping to that schedule. Would there be a better time to take it?

Laurel on the Lake

On February 3, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Gridley said:
Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

The afternoon is fine unless you think the Cymbalta is interfering with your sleep.  It's important to take your drugs, including Cymbalta, at more or less consistent time every day.  Remember, your nervous system craves stability.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I know you are keeping notes of your dose times and your symptoms in relation to your dose times (all four of them).  Maybe if you post that info here daily that will help the Mods tell you how the reinstatement is going.  It may be hard for you to do an assessment of your symptoms yourself because of brain fog or confusion?  Maybe a Mod would see a pattern you don't see?  I have no experience with reinstating, but I see the Mods ask for this info and then suggest holding or updosing or other options.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I will do that, Rosetta.

Laurel on the Lake

The more I read others' stories, the more I want to get off Cymbalta. I can't believe I trusted someone who dosed me to 120mg. Plus threw a handful of other drugss into the mix. I left that provider for a number of reasons, but I AM in no less a difficult situation with this citalopram problem. First things first..

I suppose there is never a perfect time, but my current psychiatrist stopped my citalopram RX right when I was feeling good and was still in outpatient day treatment for anxiety and depression following a brief hospitalization in Oct.. I had ten wonderful weeks of loving life! It didn't take long for me to slip into the WD void after stopping the drug. Yes, I have gotten off other ADs and a benzo, but I am feeling things I don't remember and finding difficult to articulate.. <sigh>

Laurel on the Lake

Another question or two. 

I have been a big fan of acupuncture for a long time. I found a clinic in my metro area that includes treatment for AD withdrawal on their webpage. So, I get that no stimulating treatments should be given, as well as no detoxes. 

Speaking of detox, I have been taking botanical antimicrobials for Lyme disease for 9 months. One of the formulas I take is a detox formula. Does this sound like something problematical? It is 2 drops a day. I do see my Lyme provider this week. And can someone explain what the danger is with detoxing? I want to be well prepared to meet with my Lyme doc. 

Thanks!

Laurel on the Lake

Here are notes for several days since reinstatement.

February 3

4:30 AM woke up

9:00  AM diarrhea

11:30 AM 120 mg Cymbalta, 800 mg gabapentin, 20 mg Buspar

9-2 PM intense anxiety, feelings of depression, suicidal thoughts 

2 PM 1 mg liquid citalopram 

Reprieve from symptoms rest of day

9:45 PM 800 mg gabapentin, 10 mg, amitryptillin, 20 mg Buspar

10 PM stomach ache and sweating

BED

February 4 

6:30 AM woke up sick feeling in gut, desire to sleep/zone out, muscle twitches

9:30 MORNING meds

Loose stools

Several attacks of chest pain/anxiety

1 PM citalopram

Reprieve from symptoms in afternoon 

Edgy anxiety in evening

9 PM night meds

10PM sweating 20 min, heart palps, restlessness before falling asleep

February 9

4:30 AM woke up with intense anxiety, chest discomfort, muscle twitches, painful emotions and thoughts

9 AM LIGHT  breakfast of fruit

10:30 AM morning meds

Continuing pain and anxiety until around noon

Lunch

1:30 citalopram

Reprieve during afternoon but also crying jag

6PM dinner

9 PM night  meds 

10 PM reading before falling asleep with white noise

February 10

Midnight woke up but able to go back to slee, lots of dreams

5 AM woke up with anxiety and muscle twitching  --  put on Hulu on tablet and was lulled back to sleep by voices talking

8 AM awake with intense anxiety/pain in gut, ebbs after a while by general sense of unease and discomfort in chest

10 AM breakfast of fruit

10:30 morning meds

Restlessness, hard time relaxing or distracting:

12 PM light lunch

1:30 citalopram 

Difficult thoughts and cryi g

3 PM lifting of some anxiety and physical sensations

6:30 dinner

Evening watching Olympics

9 PM night meds (plan)

10 PM reading before bed (plan)

Laurel on the Lake

February 11, 2018

6 AM woke up - no jerks or twitches, minimal anxiety, feeling a .little revved up

8 AM Lyme had

9 AM breakfast

10:30 AM morning meds

Faint heart palpitations 

11:30 protein snack

12:30 PM lunch

1:30 PM took citalopram

3:05 PM feeling warmish and experiencing "normal" anxiety

5:30 PM Lyme meds

7 PM dinner

10 PM  night meds 

11:30 bed - light sweating on legs

Overall  a GOOD day, mostly lazy, watching dog show and Olympics, reading paper

Has anyone used milky oats or oatstraw tea for reducing cortisol?

Laurel on the Lake

Forgot to mention that I have been taking Cal/mag/zinc and vitamin D3 for years, plus a particular multi my Lyme provider recommended for 8 months. Also use magnesium oil on tops of feet and backs of legs at bedtime.

Laurel on the Lake

• Moderator Emeritus

You asked earlier about dangers of detoxing.  Here is what Alto wrote about detoxes.  I don't know if it applies to your particular detox and whether the need to treat the Lyme disease would outweigh the extra stress that detoxing might have on you.  Provided for your information..  

"My belief is that, our bodies and nervous systems being under so much stress from withdrawal, detoxing the liver or any other ritual of purification only adds further stress and doesn't do anything positive for proper withdrawal. (Liver detox was developed for serious, identifiable heavy metal poisoning.) Liver cleansing is one of those things naturopathic medicine routinely recommends for all kinds of ills, with very little evidence it helps any of them. I do not think it's appropriate for withdrawal syndrome."

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Hi Laurel,

It looks like you had a good day on Feb 11.  That's a good sign.  I'm sorry to see you were having a lot of anxiety and all those other symptoms in the days before.  

I don't know the answers to your questions, sorry.  You could try eliminating each of the things in question for a few days -- one thing at a time -- the multi vitamin, the Vitamin D and the Detox formula.  You could also type "survivingantidepressants detox" into the search engine of your choice (without the quotes).  I understand that the site's search engine isn't as useful as Google is at finding threads about some topics.

Take care, Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

(Laughing) @Gridley, this is getting weird.  Ha, ha, ha!!  Laurel, he and I often post on the same thread within an hour of each other.  Of course, he usually has all the answers, and I'm usually just in time to learn something new from him by complete accident. --Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017