Sesamepearls: Early days yet

sesamepearls

Hi all, 

After lurking here for quite some time, I think it’s about time I introduced myself. I’m a woman on the brink of turning 40 who has spent much of the past two decades on various different types of psych meds, and have very recently become drug-free after realising they were doing me more harm than good. I’ve since come to realise that I probably never needed them in the first place, especially since the issues which led to me being diagnosed with major depressive disorder were circumstantial, and that I could have fared better with psychotherapy and a decent support network instead. Like so many others, I bought into the lie that I had some sort of “chemical imbalance” which would require me to be on those wretched things for the rest of my days.

Now that I am off them, I’ve entered a whole strange new plane of existence which is a whole melange of things - terrifying, frightening and exhilarating, especially since I can now feel things more acutely than before. It is now nearly two months since I did a rapid taper 100mg of Zoloft, and I must confess that I am bracing myself for some pretty horrifying waves and setbacks - on the plus side, I’ve been able to go to work most of the time and function, although my job isn’t what one would call a high-stress occupation. 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting involved in this community and getting to know you all.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Zoloft (round 1) - 1998-2001
  • Risperdal - approx. February 2002-August 2002
  • Zyprexa - August 2002 - early 2003
  • Cipramil - few months in 2003
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Effexor 2004 - late 2008
  • Prozac - late 2008 - early 2012
  • Seroquel - mid-2010 - 2011(?)
  • Zoloft (round 2, 100mg) - early 2012 - tapered by 25mg over fortnightly intervals in Oct-Dec 2017
  • Prozac (round 2) - took one day on 20mg in early December, before cutting down the dose to 10mg over a period of a week before stopping it.
  • Ceased Prozac 16th December 2017
  • reinstated Prozac 1mg 19/2/18, having some bad reactions thus far

And I’ve been waking up with some really awful cortisol spikes as well... terrible. 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Zoloft (round 2, 100mg) - early 2012 - tapered by 25mg over fortnightly intervals in Oct-Dec 2017
  • Prozac (round 2) - took one day on 20mg in early December, before cutting down the dose to 10mg over a period of a week before stopping it.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Sesamepearls and welcome to SA.  Congratulations on being medication-free.  You have a great attitude.

Thank you for posting your signature.  Could you please post a bit more information about your Zoloft taper, including the rate of taper, how long you held on each dose, and your dose when you stopped the drug.

Since you're preparing for some bad withdrawal symptoms, you're probably aware that you tapered much more rapidly than we recommend.  At SA, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  

Here is some excellent information on withdrawal:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  Some people have found the information and explanations at these links helpful:

Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

It is understandable that you want to be drug-free as soon as possible.  I do want to present an option should the withdrawal become too difficult to bear.  

At this time, reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  

It is suggested that when a person tapered and the last dose was 1-3 months ago, go back to a very low dose, maybe 2mg-5mg to start with, increase after a week if it helped but isn't enough.   Try a very small dose (in case of hypersensitivity), such as 2mg.  If that helps but isn't enough, increase. If it doesn't help or makes symptoms worse, stop immediately.  Ultimately the decision is yours, but thought I should bring this to your attention so that you can make the best decision regarding your health and well-being.  

Please read the first few post of this topic on reinstatement.:

Whether you choose to reinstate or to wait out the symptoms, the techniques in these links have helped many members deal with withdrawal:

Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 
Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. 

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Edited by ChessieCat

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for your response.

As for my Zoloft taper,  it was way too rapid - I reduced my dosage by 25mg over fortnightly intervals over October and November. That was before I stumbled across this site and became aware of the 10% recommendation. I felt like there wasn't much else I could have done, though, as a really horrid psychiatrist I saw in August suggested that I go off the Zoloft cold turkey and replace it with Lexapro and Mirtazapine. My gut told me that something was very off about that, especially as they both have reputations as weight gaining drugs, and my depression issues partially stem from poor body image and low self-esteem. Yeah... how would that have helped me address my underlying causes? To add to that, most GPs are ignorant of the effects those drugs can have on others, and that has fractured my trust in them quite a lot.

Now, there's something I neglected to admit, and that was that I thought about giving prozac another shot upon seeing another GP in early December - that wasn't before this bright spark of a doctor suggested that I start taking the Zoloft at an increased dosage of 150mg. My main reasons for ceasing the Zoloft were because it had simply stopped working for me, and was leaving me with some hideous side-effects instead, and I strongly felt I would be digging my hole deeper by reinstating it at a higher dosage. So, after this GP suggested Effexor instead and I said no to that, I opted for the Prozac - mainly because I had put on a considerable amount of weight over the years which I wanted to lose, plus I read that it is used as a bridging drug. Big mistake. I was put on 20mg, and I immediately felt like my heart was going to explode through my chest upon taking the first dose. So, I halved it, much to his disapproval, and I still didn't feel much better, so I ceased it after a few days. And with that, I decided I wasn't going to be returning to that GP. To me, he seemed incredibly arrogant and decided that he knew my condition was "biological" and that he knew more about me than I did about myself within two visits.

So, I'm willing to roll the dice with waiting for my system to return to homeostasis. I've been taking measures since coming off medication to mitigate my withdrawal symptoms, such as exercising regularly, amending my diet, and also taking the magnesium and fish oil supplements.

Oh, and I'll be sure to amend my signature to include the second trial run of Prozac back in December. Sorry I neglected to mention that before! And thank you for the links!

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 09/02/2018 at 5:24 AM, sesamepearls said:

And I’ve been waking up with some really awful cortisol spikes as well... terrible. 

Here is the link to SA's discussion: waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 2/8/2018 at 1:16 AM, sesamepearls said:

Hi all, 

After lurking here for quite some time, I think it’s about time I introduced myself. I’m a woman on the brink of turning 40 who has spent much of the past two decades on various different types of psych meds, and have very recently become drug-free after realising they were doing me more harm than good. I’ve since come to realise that I probably never needed them in the first place, especially since the issues which led to me being diagnosed with major depressive disorder were circumstantial, and that I could have fared better with psychotherapy and a decent support network instead. Like so many others, I bought into the lie that I had some sort of “chemical imbalance” which would require me to be on those wretched things for the rest of my days.

Now that I am off them, I’ve entered a whole strange new plane of existence which is a whole melange of things - terrifying, frightening and exhilarating, especially since I can now feel things more acutely than before. It is now nearly two months since I did a rapid taper 100mg of Zoloft, and I must confess that I am bracing myself for some pretty horrifying waves and setbacks - on the plus side, I’ve been able to go to work most of the time and function, although my job isn’t what one would call a high-stress occupation. 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting involved in this community and getting to know you all.

Nice to meet you Sesamepearls.  I also have been on Zoloft for 19 years...Not sure if I will ever get off of it, but I will be tapering in few months the Mirtazipine.  Glad you found us, this group is awesome!

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Zoloft 200mg 1999 to 2017
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • 15 mg Remeron 2012-presnt
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • 01/18/18-present Zoloft 200mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

12 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Here is the link to SA's discussion: waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes

This is bound to be helpful. Thank you for that!

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
7 minutes ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

Nice to meet you Sesamepearls.  I also have been on Zoloft for 19 years...Not sure if I will ever get off of it, but I will be tapering in few months the Mirtazipine.  Glad you found us, this group is awesome!

Glad to meet you too! I'm sorry you've been drugged with that nasty stuff for so long - here's hoping that you do come off it eventually!

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus

Good reasoning, sesamepearls.  Please let us know how things go.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I will do. Right now, I feel like I'm barely treading water with all of those horrid symptoms I've been getting. And certain monthly cycles don't do much to alleviate the situation, either.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004

And I had a really draining crying fit just now while in the shower. I can’t help but grieve for the person I used to be before I got started on those horrid things, and I distinctly remember my father giving me a hard time for being on them all those years ago. Even though we didn’t have the best relationship when I was younger, I now regret not listening to him, especially since we have a better relationship nowadays.

As for other symptoms I’ve been having, gastrointestinal issues have also been a thing, as well as being overly sensitised to noise, tinnitus and this electrifying brain sensation. Something tells me that this isn’t the worst to come, though I did have some really hideous flu-like symptoms and dizziness when I was fresh off the Zoloft.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
3 minutes ago, sesamepearls said:

And I had a really draining crying fit just now while in the shower. I can’t help but grieve for the person I used to be before I got started on those horrid things, and I distinctly remember my father giving me a hard time for being on them all those years ago. Even though we didn’t have the best relationship when I was younger, I now regret not listening to him, especially since we have a better relationship nowadays.

As for other symptoms I’ve been having, gastrointestinal issues have also been a thing, as well as being overly sensitised to noise, tinnitus and this electrifying brain sensation. Something tells me that this isn’t the worst to come, though I did have some really hideous flu-like symptoms and dizziness when I was fresh off the Zoloft.

HI sesamepearls welcome .please don't be hard on yourself ,you did what we all did ,you put trust in a system and a profession that has let us down .

we will come out the other end stronger .hold on to that relationship you have know with your dad and cherish it .

I understand about the grief you talk about .be careful of the neuro emotions over whelming you .

I'm having a very reflect evening myself ,its less judgment and more comforting my soul with some nice music .

Be kind to yourself ,we will heal ,we are worth it . 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Thanks, powerback. I will do my best to not let those neuro-emotions consume me, even though it is proving to be quite a struggle. Then again, it is morning where I am, and I do know that things will settle down later in the day, even though it seems like it will be a struggle for me. Being here assures me that I am not alone, at least.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
1 minute ago, sesamepearls said:

Thanks, powerback. I will do my best to not let those neuro-emotions consume me, even though it is proving to be quite a struggle. Then again, it is morning where I am, and I do know that things will settle down later in the day, even though it seems like it will be a struggle for me. Being here assures me that I am not alone, at least.

Your vey  welcome ,be very aware  of them and get good at it ,looking back more than a year and a half ,they ripped me apart and just about ruined me .

I have a sister that emigrated to OZ so my thinking does be in OZ time ,is she up or in bed lol.

You are far from alone here ,you are among people than understand and can actually empathize .

Take care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I will, and I suppose it would be difficult to make that distinction if one is too caught up in them! Fortunately, crying it out does have very cathartic effects, and I’m feeling somewhat better now.

And timezones can be a bit of a hassle, huh. I have friends in the U.K. and Finland, and trying to guess what they are up to at any given moment tends to be a crapshoot!

Thanks once again. I’m glad to have found this community. 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004

Here’s to yet another day. I’m amazed that I didn’t feel the urge to shut myself inside a toilet cubicle and sob my guts out at work. Instead, I felt this all too pervading anxiety about my living situation. As much as I’d like to get the hell out of there, it seems that it will be easier said than done, and if feeling dread about going home isn’t a sign that I have to go, then I don’t know what is.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
On 2/8/2018 at 7:16 PM, sesamepearls said:

recently become drug-free after realising they were doing me more harm than good. I’ve since come to realise that I probably never needed them in the first place, especially since the issues which led to me being diagnosed with major depressive disorder were circumstantial, and that I could have fared better with psychotherapy and a decent support network instead. Like so many others, I bought into the lie that I had some sort of “chemical imbalance” which would require me to be on those wretched things for the rest of my days.

Hi Sesamepearls. Welcome. This statement is so true for most of us and it certainly rings true for me ~ I felt exactly the same.

As it has only been approximately 2 or so months out, I would hope that you might seriously consider a small reinstatement to help out with withdrawal symptoms and ease the pain, as well as to keep your life on track. Withdrawal and particularly cold turkey W/D can so often derail it ... to such a huge degree. Reinstatement can help to soften withdrawal symptoms and help you to keep functioning as normal.

8 hours ago, sesamepearls said:

As much as I’d like to get the hell out of there, it seems that it will be easier said than done, and if feeling dread about going home isn’t a sign that I have to go, then I don’t know what is.

It's best not to make any definite, major life decisions whilst in the midst of withdrawal :   :o  I often had a certain amount of dread about going home or even being home, for that matter ~ in fact, there was really nowhere that I felt comfortable ... including my own skin. I always felt like I was ready to jump out of it. It's such a horrible feeling, only known to us ... in W/D.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:44 AM, Gridley said:
Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

It is understandable that you want to be drug-free as soon as possible.  I do want to present an option should the withdrawal become too difficult to bear.  

At this time, reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  

It is suggested that when a person tapered and the last dose was 1-3 months ago, go back to a very low dose, maybe 2mg-5mg to start with, increase after a week if it helped but isn't enough.   Try a very small dose (in case of hypersensitivity), such as 2mg.  If that helps but isn't enough, increase. If it doesn't help or makes symptoms worse, stop immediately.  Ultimately the decision is yours, but thought I should bring this to your attention so that you can make the best decision regarding your health and well-being.

Gridley, laid this out so well : I can only reiterate, that perhaps a small reinstatement may be your best course of action, at this time.

If this is something that you feel comfortable with ~ please let us know and we can advise a starting dose.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

The feeling of being uncomfortable in my own home is very familiar to me.  I sit and tell myself all the objective reasons that I am safe in my home . It works, but I have to do it over and over, everyday or even more than once day.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

5 hours ago, AliG said:

Hi Sesamepearls. Welcome. This statement is so true for most of us and it certainly rings true for me ~ I felt exactly the same.

As it has only been approximately 2 or so months out, I would hope that you might seriously consider a small reinstatement to help out with withdrawal symptoms and ease the pain, as well as to keep your life on track. Withdrawal and particularly cold turkey W/D can so often derail it ... to such a huge degree. Reinstatement can help to soften withdrawal symptoms and help you to keep functioning as normal.

It's best not to make any definite, major life decisions whilst in the midst of withdrawal :   :o  I often had a certain amount of dread about going home or even being home, for that matter ~ in fact, there was really nowhere that I felt comfortable ... including my own skin. I always felt like I was ready to jump out of it. It's such a horrible feeling, only known to us ... in W/D.

Gridley, laid this out so well : I can only reiterate, that perhaps a small reinstatement may be your best course of action, at this time.

If this is something that you feel comfortable with ~ please let us know and we can advise a starting dose.

Ali

I have to confess I’m not entirely comfortable with it, especially when I consider the reasons why I stopped the Zoloft in the first place. Not only did it poop out on me, but I was left with gastrointestinal issues, and a whole bunch of horrendous intrusive thoughts were starting to surface, not to mention the weight gain I suffered on it. What kind of dosage would you suggest, if push comes to shove?

As for those thoughts about me wanting to move house, they only surfaced in the past couple of months, so it could very well be the withdrawal speaking. But it’s worth mentioning that it’s an old rental property that is falling apart on us, plus it’s in a noisy area, has cracks on the walls in every room, is badly ventilated and infested with cockroaches. I share it with my brother, and he apparently isn’t all that keen on leaving, even with the apartment being in this deplorable state. I’d so badly like to live in a quieter area surrounded by parkland and greenery, but I probably should really hold off for now.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
4 hours ago, Rosetta said:

The feeling of being uncomfortable in my own home is very familiar to me.  I sit and tell myself all the objective reasons that I am safe in my home . It works, but I have to do it over and over, everyday or even more than once day.

I make do with what I can in my surroundings, and while I know I’m safe, I feel like I’m being buried alive by continuing to live there.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004

Sesame, Ah, I understand about the apartment.  That's not ideal.  I'm glad that you know you are safe though.  That's important.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Thanks. We’ve been living there for nearly 15 years now, so I do believe it’s time to go. Easier said than done, however.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004

It’s been a few days, so I thought I’d check in. I’m increasingly starting to feel like I am being backed into a corner, and now I’m starting to contemplate whether reinstatement would be a good thing. I do have some fluoxetine lying around from my brief stint with it in December, and yet it triggered some hideous anxiety within me when I took it, so I have some serious misgivings on that front. On the other hand, I threw out the remainder of my sertraline - I didn’t see much point in continuing to take it if it had pooped out on me and left me with negative side effects in the end. 

Now, I’d very much like to interact with others on their threads - thing is, I’m at a loss as to what to say much of the time, since giving advice/support isn’t really my strong suit, so I apologise for that. 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus

SA's recommendation for reinstatement is to start with a very low dose.  

On 09/10/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:

What is known about reinstatement
from my reading and from patient experience as posted on online support sites:

• According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.
  • Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.
  • The length of this window of opportunity varies according to the individual. Sometimes people can reinstate successfully months after quitting. Others cannot.
  • Often a partial dose will relieve withdrawal symptoms. If, for example, you were taking 20mg Paxil and quit rapidly only a few days ago, 5mg or 10mg may be enough. Others find they need a higher dose.
  • Start low to see what you need. You can always increase if necessary. If you've been off the drug for a month or more, many people can find relief from antidepressant withdrawal symptoms by reinstating as little as 1mg-5mg.

Additional reasons to reinstate only a partial dose
Reinstating at a low dose reduces the risk of severe adverse reactions in case reinstatement does not work.

• Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you to drugs and a larger dose will cause an adverse reaction.
  • These drugs are vastly more powerful than they need to be; often reinstatement at half dosage AT MOST is sufficient and many people do well with a lot less. You want to be taking only the lowest EFFECTIVE dose.
  • Your receptors may have adjusted somewhat (upregulated) during the time you were tapering or had withdrawal symptoms.
  • If you can stabilize on a lower dose, you have less to taper when you finally do go off.
  • If you had adverse reactions while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse reactions but still reduce withdrawal symptoms. Adverse reactions tend to be dosage-related: The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.
  • You can always adjust the dosage upward if you find you need to.

I've highlighted several things in green and purple.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks for that, Chessie. I’ll definitely consider it, should I really find myself backed into a corner. 

I guess the only only other thing holding me back from doing that is my desire for my CNS to right itself as soon as possible. That, and I terribly miss my old, pre-drugged self. 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004

Sesame. Please don't leave it too late ~ It would be hard to see you lose the opportunity to reinstate. If you lose this window, it can sometimes be hard to come back from. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.

We are only talking a few mg's - perhaps 1 or 2. If you don't have success ~ you can stop immediately.

Let us know if this is something you want to pursue. It's totally your call ~ up to you. We just want you to be aware of what is available in these early days of withdrawal ~ so as to make an informed decision. As time goes on - it can become much harder.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

7 hours ago, AliG said:

Sesame. Please don't leave it too late ~ It would be hard to see you lose the opportunity to reinstate. If you lose this window, it can sometimes be hard to come back from. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.

We are only talking a few mg's - perhaps 1 or 2. If you don't have success ~ you can stop immediately.

Let us know if this is something you want to pursue. It's totally your call ~ up to you. We just want you to be aware of what is available in these early days of withdrawal ~ so as to make an informed decision. As time goes on - it can become much harder.

Ali

I caved in and took 1mg this morning, but not without any hesitation. Those hideous cortisol spikes I get upon waking up are a problem for me still, and I wondered if I should roll the dice with that as Prozac has only served to amplify my anxiety in the past. So, I did. The form of Prozac I have can be dissolved in water, so I dissolved a 20mg tablet in 100ml water, and consumed 5ml of that. Needless to say, I did feel my pulse increase, though I am feeling somewhat lighter now.

In all honesty, I’d rather not be a slave to antidepressants for any longer. What can I do, though? 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus

Wait until you stabilize.  This can take some months.  Then taper 10% per month.  Be patient.  No one wants to be a slave to these drugs but it takes time to get off them safely.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I took 1mg this morning, and now I’m thinking I may be too sensitive to that :/

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus

What symptom/s makes you say that?

How long after taking your dose did the symptom happen?

Please keep daily notes on paper:  Keep Notes on Paper

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

What symptom/s makes you say that?

How long after taking your dose did the symptom happen?

Please keep daily notes on paper:  Keep Notes on Paper

The rapid heartbeat, agitation and anxiety, though it was minor compared to what it was when I thought I’d try again at 20mg. It happened straight away and kept going for the next few hours. Whether that will interfere with my sleep is yet to be seen, and it’s not as though those early morning cortisol spikes were problematic enough.

And yes, I shall do so. 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus

Sesamepearls,

How are you doing now?  Were you able to sleep?   

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I was able to, yes. Still woke up with my heart pounding, though.

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004
  • Moderator Emeritus

That you were able to sleep is very encouraging.  How are the other symptoms?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Mentor
On 2/10/2018 at 1:23 PM, sesamepearls said:

I can’t help but grieve for the person I used to be before I got started on those horrid things, and I distinctly remember my father giving me a hard time for being on them all those years ago. Even though we didn’t have the best relationship when I was younger, I now regret not listening to him, especially since we have a better relationship nowadays.

Totally get that, SesamePearls! I have a friend who was just plain anti-psych drugs and had an almost belligerent thrust against them. And I was just as belligerent defending them :-(    Now, I wish I hadn't ever put the poison in me but it is part of our culture and bucking it is also tough to do.

Welcome -- this forum is indeed a great support.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

45 minutes ago, Gridley said:

That you were able to sleep is very encouraging.  How are the other symptoms?

I’ve still been getting tearful and crying throughout the day at work, plus the anxiety still lingers somewhat. Plus I still have the gastrointestinal issues and sensitivity to sudden loud noises, as well as those strange sensations in my head - not quite brain zaps, but more like this feeling of goose pimples in my head which are still present, if that makes any sense. Although they’re more intense during the day, they usually die down later on (fingers crossed). 

medication history 
  • Aropax - 1997-1998
  • Cymbalta - 2003 - 2004