Early-morning waking - managing the morning cortisol spike

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

i found that on mornings when i was awake at the time the old cortisol began its uptick (for me, around 4am), i suffered a lot less under it than the mornings i actually was asleep and the cortisol woke me up and i woke into it. i found that the mix of the abrupt wake-up and the cortisol activation was terrifying.

During the winter of 2013 I was often awake, out and about when the cortisol struck. (this is before I understood what was going on)  A few mornings a week I would have to get up early to take my daughter to the train station.  I hated waking up anyway, no matter what the time, I still do.  It means the end of the relief which sleeping brings.  I remember one morning in particular, my alarm went off and I woke up, it was still dark and I remember getting out of bed, into the cold air and feeling an incredible sense of gratitude because I was feeling 'normal'.  I was having that 'normal' morning resistance to getting up, not wanting to leave the warmth of my bed, struggling to switch my brain to a waking state before its really ready.

I noticed that the usual agoraphobia, and resistance to leaving the house seemed to have miraculously disappeared and going outside and getting in the car was feeling oddly easy.  I was chatting to my daughter on the way, just like I used to do.  In my mind I started planning to go and get an early breakfast and coffee out, after I had dropped her off, it had been a long time since I'd been able to do anything like that.

But as I turned out of the train station, the sun came up over the horizon, and suddenly I was drenched in sweat, my body became tense, I couldn't breathe and half my brain function shut down.  The scenery around me took on an ominous appearance and what remained of my thought processes became fixated on trying to figure out where the danger was coming from.  All thoughts of breakfast disappeared, my stomach had become a swirling mass of nauseating surges anyway and all my attention became focused on getting home to safely as fast as possible.  Suddenly, the light, movement of cars, sounds and the cold air had become overwhelming, I was no longer able to tolerate any kind of information coming in through my senses and I needed to get home to the controlled environment of my bedroom.

For me, being woken by the cortisol surge has always been terrifying, but being out when it hits is worse.  As Dave suggests, probably the best way to reduce some of the terror is to be awake and somewhat psychologically prepared before it hits.  But I'm not sure if I would ever set my alarm and wake up before I absolutely had to, for me, my priority has always been trying to stay asleep as long as possible, trying to avoid the inevitable awfulness of the experience of being awake in all its varied levels of intensity.

With the help of magnesium, taurine and breathing techniques, I've taught myself how to calm down and shut off the racing thoughts and fall back to sleep after the earliest wake-ups, which begin around 5am these days.

I've recovered quite a lot over the last year and my mornings are nowhere near as bad as they were, but I would still rather be asleep than awake, especially in the mornings when its the worst, so I try and avoid waking up for as long as possible.

But for someone who has to get up anyway, I would certainly consider setting a gentle alarm and trying to be prepared.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Yep. I used to hate going to sleep because of that. I even tried to stay up once to see if I could hold on to feeling normal into the next day.

Sleep definitely changes the brain, i have heard of people depriving themselves of sleep to avoid the depression from returning. and i have heard it can actually work, but you have to sleep eventually... and its probably not the most healthy thing. how did you turn out staying up? did you feel normal the next day? i couldnt really test this as my symptoms are never stable.. somedays i wake up and feel fine for most of the day otherdays i wake up feeling sh*tty.

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

• Moderator Emeritus

Since I was already awake I didn't have that anxious jolt of fear and dread at 4am, so there was that. i think the onset of the symptoms just seemed more gradual, so it felt as if they were milder even though they may not actually have been. I was in such a bad state at the time it's honestly hard to say. I didn't try it again, so I must not have thought it made enough of a difference.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Ahh i see. Man i hate that though, waking up and saying to myself "great.. im awake now im afraid of feeling like **** again" anticipatory anxiety is the absolute worst, it keeps you worried all the damn time. even if you feel fine... its still there in the back of your mind, just worrying about how your mood might change within the next hour. at least thats how it is for me. If i could predict how im going to feel i wouldn't have this stupid anticipatory anxiety, why oh why does my brain have to be so unpredictable.

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

• Moderator Emeritus

But for someone who has to get up anyway, I would certainly consider setting a gentle alarm and trying to be prepared.

casio makes a watch that vibrates on your wrist - it is what i utilize. it's fairly gentle. it vibrates more mildly than a mobile phone does. in fact, the reviews claimed that deep-sleepers weren't always awakened by it. that's when i said "perfect! sold!" ha ha. it took me awhile to get used to wearing a watch to bed - especially because this particular casio is a "g-shock" model meant to survive something along the lines of an enemy invasion. ;) so it is rather bulky. but i don't even notice it anymore.

that's how i arise. 0345hrs, "buzzzz, buzzzz, buzzzz..." and off i go.

if i am in a period where i am particularly sensitive to cortisol, i will feel it spike as i am awake. but i am waiting for it and aware of it and it doesn't have nearly the mojo it had when it woke me out of sleep.

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

• Moderator Emeritus

I am picturing cortisol as a viper that lays coiled until pre-dawn...

aw crap, WC!

and now my buzzing watch is the damn thing hissing at me :) thanks for the imagery! i'll think of you tomorrow @ 0345hrs when the viper is upon me! ;)

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

TO LOWER/CONTROL CORTISOL , I TAKE:

2-3 GRAMS VITAMIN C

MAGNESIUM OIL OR 750 MG MAGNESIUM

AS SOON AS I WAKE UP, IT HELPS A LOT

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

No was waking up so much in a panic way before pre dawn..12,2,3 and was in a right panic..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

7-KETO DHEA , it is non-hormonal and lowers cortisol

It works, I've tried it, but is expensive. Again it does not work like DHEA which increases estrogen. This works soley on lowering cortisol levels and associated with better mood and weight loss. However, everyone responds differently to supplements.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've also read that vitamin C can lower cortisol, but I don't know if its true.  If you wanted to try if for morning cortisol, you would need to take it in the morning I think.  I take 1000mg at night and for a while I was taking 1000mg in the morning also, but it didn't seem to make much difference, so I stopped.  Perhaps you have to take a higher dose for it to have an effect, I don't know. 

If you decide to try it, do let us know if it helps.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• 4 weeks later...

I've also read that vitamin C can lower cortisol, but I don't know if its true.  If you wanted to try if for morning cortisol, you would need to take it in the morning I think.  I take 1000mg at night and for a while I was taking 1000mg in the morning also, but it didn't seem to make much difference, so I stopped.  Perhaps you have to take a higher dose for it to have an effect, I don't know. 

If you decide to try it, do let us know if it helps.

Yeah 1,000 mg is nothing. I take 3,000 mg vitamin C in the mornings and it has lowered cortisol significantly. My anxiety/peace of mind is better throughout the morning and most of the day.

Vitamin C at the very least supports the adrenals while they are working so hard. I take 1000mg twice daily.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus
 I take 3,000 mg vitamin C in the mornings and it has lowered cortisol significantly. My anxiety/peace of mind is better throughout the morning and most of the day.

How long does it take before it starts 'working'?  What time to you usually take it?

Is it like you wake up with all the symptoms of high cortisol, you take 3000mg vitamin c and then X amount of time later you notice a significant decrease in those particular symptoms?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I take 3,000 mg vitamin C in the mornings and it has lowered cortisol significantly. My anxiety/peace of mind is better throughout the morning and most of the day.

How long does it take before it starts 'working'?  What time to you usually take it?

Is it like you wake up with all the symptoms of high cortisol, you take 3000mg vitamin c and then X amount of time later you notice a significant decrease in those particular symptoms?

Yeah. I'm starting to come towards the end of w/d. I take 3000 mg vitamin C every morning. I take it in powder form (asorbic acid) and I noticed a huge improvement in mood, stress reduction, anxiety and paranoia. I think since I overanalyze things, I put a lot of stress on my mind. Vitamin C elevates about 70-90 percent of that stress. I think more clearly and rationally. I don't get as upset as I used to either hence the mood improvement. And this is all due to Vitamin C and magnesium. My favorite combo for stress, anxiety, worry etc.

The first two weeks of doing this, I experienced loose stools and diarrahea but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did, because I can actually "feel" it working. Sometimes, I do have some bloating but the benefits outweigh the negative side effects so I'm going to stick with it for at least another few months maybe even longer.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for replying aNM.  I decided to try the high dose vitamin C and it seems to have helped.  At first I was hesitant because after doing some research I learned that most vitamin c supplements are synthetic, not natural but instead ascorbic acid, which isn't actually vitamin c.  I had gone ahead and ordered some naturally sourced vitamin c supplements.

But last night/this morning I took 3000mg of the synthetic kind, which is all  I have at the moment, and this morning's cortisol/anxiety has been significantly less than what it usually is.  The difference is enough that I know its not placebo or my imagination.  I usually have a very unpleasant physical sensation in my gut which lasts for hours, starting from when I wake up until some time in the afternoon.  But its not there.  The adrenaline surges I usually get were very mild compared to what its normally like.

This is what I did.  Whenever I woke up in the night, I took a 1000mg tablet.  I'm not sure but I think I took them at about 2am, 5am and 7am.

My body is feeling much more relaxed than it usually does this time of the day, this is the best result I've had so far from trying anything, finally, something has helped :)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok. Wow! Vitamin C. Years ago I'd heard of taking vitamin C to counter the increase in cortisol after a strenuous workout. In fact, I've done it a couple times myself. I'm adding vitamin C after my next decrease.

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thanks for replying aNM.  I decided to try the high dose vitamin C and it seems to have helped.  At first I was hesitant because after doing some research I learned that most vitamin c supplements are synthetic, not natural but instead ascorbic acid, which isn't actually vitamin c.  I had gone ahead and ordered some naturally sourced vitamin c supplements.

But last night/this morning I took 3000mg of the synthetic kind, which is all  I have at the moment, and this morning's cortisol/anxiety has been significantly less than what it usually is.  The difference is enough that I know its not placebo or my imagination.  I usually have a very unpleasant physical sensation in my gut which lasts for hours, starting from when I wake up until some time in the afternoon.  But its not there.  The adrenaline surges I usually get were very mild compared to what its normally like.

This is what I did.  Whenever I woke up in the night, I took a 1000mg tablet.  I'm not sure but I think I took them at about 2am, 5am and 7am.

My body is feeling much more relaxed than it usually does this time of the day, this is the best result I've had so far from trying anything, finally, something has helped :)

See, I told you. Yeah your adrenaline isn't as high either because of it. Vitamin C is a seriously good cortisol blocker. It is very much overlooked. I just take my dose in the morning. 3,000 mg. Sometimes I take a higher dose. It last quite a while. Def. worth the price.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm finding I need to take the vitamin C about every 3 hours for it to continue 'working'.  But I'm seriously surprised and happy that its actually relieving one of my worst symptoms with so far, no negative consequences.

I've been taking one 1000mg tablet when I wake up in the night around 1am, 4am and because of this, I've been able sleep until after 7am, it seems to hold off the cortisol surges for about 3 hours, then I wake up.  So I've been taking another one when I wake around 7am. About 10am I'm feeling the pressure/tension/adrenaline start to come back, so I take another one and in about half an hour, I'm feeling physically relaxed again.

Its such a relief to have had 3 days free from ongoing surges of panic/terror.  It feels like my body is now able to calm down enough to really start its repair process properly.  I'm not in a state of fight/flight all day any more.  I've also noticed that I'm not exhausted by early evening like I usually am.

I'm still confused/concerned about the fact that regular vitamin C is actually ascorbic acid, a synthetic, not properly absorbed and possibly linked with some negative consequences, but its cheap.  According to some of the research I've done, the reason you have to take such high doses of ascorbic acid in order for it to really have an impact on illness is because only a small percentage is actually absorbed.

But for now, I don't really care, I'm getting some symptom relief with no negative down side and after almost 4 years of daily suffering, with no end in sight, this is.... well, it feels like a miracle and I'm not sure I believe it yet.

Thank you aNM,  :)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hi Jemima, 

sorry for digging out this ancient quote. I started having cortisol mornings. I'm trying the sleep mask etc. 

Just wanted to ask if the Phosphatidylserine kept working for you or if it stopped / caused a rebound problem eventually. 

Thanks a bunch, 

Laura

I took Phosphatidylserine (100 mg.) for the first time today and I'm feeling almost supernaturally calm, certainly no bad side effects as of yet. I took it about ten hours ago. I'm hopeful that it will have some longer-term effects such as getting rid of the residual morning Cortisol jolt.

An update on this post:

I took a Phosphatidylserine cap at bedtime last night and did nor have any screwy dream memory upon awakening. I had also taken one after lunch yesterday and was able to take a nap. I had a dream while napping, but it was pleasant.

My lunchtime dose today has made me very sleepy, and here I am attending a webinar for CPE credit. (Two yawns!) I'm going to try changing this dosing schedule to taking one first thing in the morning when this sedative effect would be more welcome and another with dinner. The directions say it should be "preferably" taken with food, but it seems to work well without it.

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

The saliva tests for cortisol are completely unreliable.

My PCP also believes this as well which is the opposite of what the alternative medical community believes. Can you provide some data to support your statement? I've used 24h urine, serum, and saliva, and have seen mixed results. With cortisol isn't what matters is the the diurnal rhythm more than the total amount? You only get to see this via 4x saliva testing. The problem with the 24h urine is that it only provides an average, whereas the 4x saliva provides some type of diurnal curve. Serum would be best but one would have to have to collect multiple specimens within a 15h window which is a logistical issue.

MEDS SUMMARY:

1) Valium: 10mg avg prn from 09-06-14 to 10-20-14
2) Xanax: 0.75mg avg prn from from 09-19-14 to 10-16-14
3) Lexapro: 5mg q.d. from 10-06-14 to 10-16-14
4) switched immediately to Clonazepam: 0.5mg average/day for 2 weeks (10-17-24-10-30-14); titrated to 1mg (0.5mg bid) on 10-31-14 to present; started microtaper @ .625% (.0031250mg x 2) from 08-09-15 to 08-15-15; .800% (.0038750mg x 2) from 08-16-15 to present; destabilized 08-19-15 (due to change from original tablet); reinstated, on day 54, and have tapered a total of 14% as of 09-30-15 with zero symptoms (knock on wood)!
5) Lamictal: 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14, 25mg every 2 weeks; destabilized 01-15-14; reinstated 01-22-15 at 25mg q.d. from 01-24-15 to 02-19-15; cut approx. 3-4mg every 5-10 days until 03-22-15, then cut 2mg every 5-6 days until 05-12-15; holding at 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
Detailed Analysis - Lamictal history: https://app.box.com/s/rnermghleue9aemyhd57l1a00gsk2i4u

6) Also taking meds for blood pressure (Coreg @ 6.25mg b.i.d. and Losartan @ 50mg b.i.d.) + for blood clot I had back in 2012 (Xarelto @ 10mg) + for hypothyroidism (Armour Thyroid @ 1grain q.d.)

HISTORY & SUPPLEMENT LIST: https://app.box.com/s/mc9mch8za2lbizgs9z8j4mzhz2oswn8l

The book The Adrenal Reset Diet delineates different symptom patterns typical of different abnormalities. Personally, although I have had blood, saliva, and urine testing in the 15 plus years I haven't felt well, you can feel if you don't feel right, and then get on with fixing it.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Articles pertaining to Vitamin-C helping to reduce cortisol

Based on a few reports from members here that supplementing with vitamin C has helped reduce or even eliminate symptoms associated with their withdrawal, particularly having to do with cortisol, I thought I'd past some links to articles from popular media and a few journal articles that suggest similar benefits to taking vitamin C. I had first heard of Vitamin C helping to reduce cortisol years ago in regards to exercise, particularly after intense exercise. I'd almost completely forgotten about this.

Here are some articles. The one caveat is that many studies use saliva to measure cortisol, the reliability or which is often questioned.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/vitamin-c-stress-buster

http://www.livestrong.com/article/487642-vitamin-c-dosage-to-reduce-cortisol/

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/supplementationbasics/tp/reducecortisol.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gill3.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11590482(Vitamin C supplementation attenuates the increases in circulating cortisol, adrenaline and anti-inflammatory polypeptides following ultramarathon running.)

Edited by Petunia
added title from merged topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for finding and posting these Addax. (I moved them from the media section)

I'm still having success with the high dose vitamin C keeping me relaxed, but finding I have to take it every 2 - 3 hours through the night and morning, because no matter how much I take, I seem to metabolize it very fast.  So I just ordered a sustained release version.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I have sustained release 1000mg but they are so large i can't swallow them.  With recent illness I put them in a coffee grinder and added it to apple sauce.  Since reading your post today I tried again as I generally only take it when I am ill.  Not sure if it is related but I had a huge sugar craving that is all I have to report. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I take 600 mg. of vitamin c twice daily to help with histamine sensitivity. I'm wary of taking more, because of having kidney issues in the past. That being said, I'm back to doing a monthly Meyer's Cocktail through the naturopath: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/7/5/389.pdf You'll see that it contains other vitamins and minerals, which the naturopath varies according to how I'm doing. While I've sometimes felt I'd like to receive one more often, I can't afford to do that. Also, it mostly seems to hold me through the month. It's helped with everything from insomnia to pain and mood. I was doing these when I first started seeing him, which went a long way to increasing energy and reducing fibromyalgia symptoms.

While I find the Meyer's to be relaxing, taking oral vit c is stimulating for me. I have to take it earlier in the day, by lunchtime, or it keeps me awake at night.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Dave,

re: setting alarm for 345: I believe I have been using a variant of this solution in that I force myself out of bed at 6am to attend a 7am AA meeting. This short-circuits the whole cortisol thing. and i get to wake up for an hour with a group of folks who are trying to live a sober lifestyle. when i try to "sleep in" it is actually impossible as i just end up lying in bed and quivering and crying indefinitely and it is hell.

also the yogis call the 4am zone "the ambrosia hours". it is supposed to be the best time to wake up and practice, and maybe they knew something we don't.

Ruby

p.s. can anyone explain to me how to reply to a specific couple of lines like you guys copy the lines in question in a kind of subscript that makes it clear what you are replying to, when I copy & paste it just comes up in the same type

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for finding and posting these Addax. (I moved them from the media section)

I'm still having success with the high dose vitamin C keeping me relaxed, but finding I have to take it every 2 - 3 hours through the night and morning, because no matter how much I take, I seem to metabolize it very fast.  So I just ordered a sustained release version.

Just as an FYI, that's pretty normal, vitamin C is water soluble and once our cells take up what they're going to use the rest goes right out through the kidneys pretty fast. You can get a form that's complexed with minerals that doesn't cause as much diarrhea and is absorbed a little more slowly. If you're not getting diarrhea, don't worry about it, your body is absorbing all the C you're taking so it's not staying in the bowel.

As far as the vitamin C and ascorbic acid thing you are referring to, I don't understand it. Vitamin C IS ascorbic acid. That's what it is. If you get it from natural sources you probably get more cofactors with it, so maybe they're referring to vitamin C with all the other bioflavonoids it's usually associated with. But the actual vitamin C itself is just ascorbic acid.

I take a form of C that's a mineral ascorbate and packaged with quercitin because I take it for its antihistamine effects as much as anything. (Especially this year, we've had an early spring and it seems like everything is blooming, even the cats!) Quercitin (a bioflavonoid) also has antihistamine effects too.

I'm so glad the C is helping you so much! Yay! Like I said in your thread, there may be a histamine connection for you too. Personally I just don't want to deal with the limitations of the low histamine diet and the C does the trick for me.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

My 4 am dreads are less dreadful these days. I have added 1000 mg of C and Curcumin.(turmeric).

They may have something to do with the improvement but I also have a new strategy that really helps.

When I wake up at 4 am, instead of lying there  anxiously obsessing, I listen to an audio book.

The story distracts my mind until I fall back to sleep.  Very soothing, like being read a bedtime story. 

On 20 mg of Prozac for about ten years. Sept 2012 started reducing 10% a drop using gram scale, with average of one month holds.

When I'd reached the half way mark, taking 10 mg  powder out of the 20 mg capsules, I switched over to 10 mg capsules and cutting

down from those. Withdrawals got harder the lower I dropped.  May 2013 changed to 5% drops, holding until all withdrawal symptoms gone.

January 2015 changed to liquid prozac (concentration of 20MG per 5 mL) using a 1mL oral syringe.

Current dose of fluoxetine solution equivalent 3.4 mg. Any effort to drop below this has been disastrous so for the time being I'm staying at this level.
Adding 200 mg Tryptophan and 200 GABA a day has helped with anxiety.
Also take 1,300mg Omega- 3,  875mg  Magnesium, 1800mg Curcumin, 1000mg Vit C, 5000 Vit D.

I wake up with some anxiety most of the time, but my biggest (and newest) symptom for the past few months has been waking up with awful nausea every single day. Does anyone else have this and can it also be attributed to cortisol? Another question I have is, I know cortisol fluctuates throughout the day and is at its highest in the morning, but let's say you are not someone on a normal sleep schedule. For instance, I usually don't awaken til around noon. Would high cortisol still be a factor at that hour or later?

Reading around the internet, I wonder if this nausea upon waking could also be caused by acid reflux? In my case it could be "silent" reflux as I don't usually experience common symptoms like heartburn, etc. I do however have this thing where if I drink any amount of liquid or eat I get these strange, random hiccups where I take in a lot of air involuntarily. Other people who experience these said their doctor told them it was due to acid reflux. Anyway, throwing stuff out there and seeing if anyone has experienced it.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Hi Ladybug

I too wake up later in the day and I am re-experiencing trouble with the first hour or so of waking. I'm thinking that mine is affected by hormonal shifts. When my diet has had a lot of salt in it my mornings tend to be worse with anxiety and hot flashes. I've never understood the cortisol so I will leave that to those who do.

However, I do know some about about reflux. Your hiccups raise my eyebrow more than the nausea. One very simple test is to raise your head when sleeping. My doctor had suggested placing a brick or two under the box spring. I've propped on pillows too and found that just as effective. You'll have some ideas within a couple of days. Diet has been the thing that has had the largest impact on resolving my reflux (after d/cing Wellbutrin). I will admit right now that I don't often follow my Drs recommendations but when I do, they work. Limiting the amount of food eaten before bed gives food time to digest before you are horizontal...limit foods that are acidic, no chocolate (I do not follow that one :) )...limit dairy...no caffeine...frequent, small meals (that one I do). 

I hope that this resolves for you.

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

• Moderator Emeritus

At the moment  I'm taking NOW brand C-1000 with Rose Hips and Bioflavonoids from iHerb

But I've ordered some other brands of sustained release, because these only seem to work for about 2 hours at a time, for me anyway.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Hi Ladybug

I too wake up later in the day and I am re-experiencing trouble with the first hour or so of waking. I'm thinking that mine is affected by hormonal shifts. When my diet has had a lot of salt in it my mornings tend to be worse with anxiety and hot flashes. I've never understood the cortisol so I will leave that to those who do.

However, I do know some about about reflux. Your hiccups raise my eyebrow more than the nausea. One very simple test is to raise your head when sleeping. My doctor had suggested placing a brick or two under the box spring. I've propped on pillows too and found that just as effective. You'll have some ideas within a couple of days. Diet has been the thing that has had the largest impact on resolving my reflux (after d/cing Wellbutrin). I will admit right now that I don't often follow my Drs recommendations but when I do, they work. Limiting the amount of food eaten before bed gives food time to digest before you are horizontal...limit foods that are acidic, no chocolate (I do not follow that one :) )...limit dairy...no caffeine...frequent, small meals (that one I do). 

I hope that this resolves for you.

Thank you, MattinsMom! I definitely feel all my WD symptoms are made worse by my hormones. My worst time of the month is day 5-16 of my cycle and this is when the nausea is at its worst as well. It's so unusual that I feel much worse after my period than I do before. I have no idea what that is about.

Strangely enough, I had to wake up early the other day for a job interview (I haven't worked in years) and I only got about 4 hours sleep but when I woke up I had no nausea! Later in the day I had a sandwich and took a nap and the nausea came back. I must admit all the things you mentioned NOT to do are things I do quite often, so maybe that's problem! I love acidic foods, dairy and chocolate and I have a bad habit of eating one snack upon waking and then one big meal for dinner. Not good. I do stay away from caffeine as I am pretty sensitive to it. Thanks again for the tips. I will definitely try sleeping propped up and see if that makes a difference in the hiccups and maybe even the nausea.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Thank you, MattinsMom! I definitely feel all my WD symptoms are made worse by my hormones. My worst time of the month is day 5-16 of my cycle and this is when the nausea is at its worst as well. It's so unusual that I feel much worse after my period than I do before. I have no idea what that is about.

towards the end of both my menstrual madness as well as my run on SSRIs, (although i did not know at the time that it was the end) I started feeling way worse after the period rather than before, including nausea, just after the bleeding slowed down, also dizzy, weak. at the time I thought it was the overdose of Aleve, but it could have been perimenopause and/or psych med overdose also, I realize now

a bit earlier in the game i had horrendous cramps while ovulating, then I cut out all non-organic dairy/eggs etc., and it cleared up by about 80% immediately

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

I also suffer from what I call the morning cortisol surge, however, even prior to using psych meds,  I've had issues with dysregulated cortisol rhythms for years before starting any of these meds. It's just more acute now, especially during withdrawal.

I have done extensive cortisol serum, urine, and saliva testing over the last several months to track the effects and determine a correlation. I also test for urine and serum catecholamines (epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine). The alternative medical community believes that 4 x's saliva testing is the gold standard, but I have not found that my symptoms do not always correlate to the levels I've found with saliva testing. In fact, they were normal when I was symptomatic. Blood and urine, however, showed a connection, especially recently, in which both serum and urine cortisol levels were elevated. I ruled out Cushing’s (did a dexa suppression test which was negative). Not surprisingly, my doc stated that 24h urine cortisol can become elevated during withdrawal. No kidding.

Of anyone I know, I have tried just about every OTC supplement on the market and mentioned in this thread. Although these supplements help mitigate the severity, I have found none that completely eliminate the symptoms entirely, and if I take too many calming supps and herbs, I get a dumbed-down, depressed-type lethargy commingled with anxiety which is worse because you don't want to get out of bed which is when the anxiety starts to reverse. Case in point was a few weeks back, when I once again tried some Seriphos the night before and prior to my usual cortisol surge (although I see that it has helped many others) and felt worse, as I did when I trialed PS a few times as well. Magnesium is one of the few that do not cause this, but it's so mild and doesn't do much to relieve the anxiety either. The only one I haven't tried that was mentioned is Lactium, however, I would be concerned with the casein since I am sensitive to it.

If anyone is looking for a very effective and bioavailable Vitamin C supp, I would recommend this one (1 scoop is 4 grams and is non-acidic): http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/vitality-c-powder-ribose-AN200-p-american-nutriceuticals.html?kpid=vitality-c-powder-ribose-AN200&gclid=CIj6jvPtkMUCFQiDfgodDFYAdA

In addition to Vitamin C, DHEA has an inverse relationship with cortisol. Has anyone else tried it to help reduce the morning surge and w/d symptoms in general? I take 25mg daily. If I don’t take it, my levels fall to low normal.

Some links on DHEA:

DHEA - The Real Story
http://www.drdebe.com/articles/dhea-the-real-story

DHEA lessens depressive-like behavior via GABA-ergic modulation of the mesolimbic system.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18496525

But in this study, it showed that older adults (60 to 79 years), DHEA treatment worsened cognitive function:

Impact of DHEA on GABA-agonist Challenge in Healthy Young and Older adults:

http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/9363/

Following are some links from Dr. Jonathan Prousky that I’d like to share that I thought would be helpful for those wanting to look into other alternative remedies in addition to the cortisol-reducing effects of ascorbic acid that may be helpful for anxiety peri and post withdrawal, especially with respect to the morning cortisol anxiety:

Tapering Off Psychiatric Drugs So They Don’t Ruin Your Life:
https://app.box.com/s/ksnz7p4w4ivu4shqoz6plzy5ra8sgsk9

The Manifestations and Triggers of Mental Breakdown, and its Effective Treatment by Increasing Stress Resilience with Psychosocial Strategies, Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes, and Orthomolecular Interventions:
https://app.box.com/s/3sjb65unv0ss1txyhmp4pkhyi5d4owbz

Tapering Off Psychotropic Drugs: Using Patient Cases to Understand Reasons for Success and Failure:
https://app.box.com/s/tlp79ocmv5fqtllvh59fuondji82qq29

Please share your thoughts on these links!

I am nearly done with my Lamictal taper and other than the morning anxiety, have been doing well the last couple weeks. Am apprehensive as hell about tapering Klonopin, and that’s up next!

MEDS SUMMARY:

4) switched immediately to Clonazepam: 0.5mg average/day for 2 weeks (10-17-24-10-30-14); titrated to 1mg (0.5mg bid) on 10-31-14 to present; started microtaper @ .625% (.0031250mg x 2) from 08-09-15 to 08-15-15; .800% (.0038750mg x 2) from 08-16-15 to present; destabilized 08-19-15 (due to change from original tablet); reinstated, on day 54, and have tapered a total of 14% as of 09-30-15 with zero symptoms (knock on wood)!
5) Lamictal: 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14, 25mg every 2 weeks; destabilized 01-15-14; reinstated 01-22-15 at 25mg q.d. from 01-24-15 to 02-19-15; cut approx. 3-4mg every 5-10 days until 03-22-15, then cut 2mg every 5-6 days until 05-12-15; holding at 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
Detailed Analysis - Lamictal history: https://app.box.com/s/rnermghleue9aemyhd57l1a00gsk2i4u

6) Also taking meds for blood pressure (Coreg @ 6.25mg b.i.d. and Losartan @ 50mg b.i.d.) + for blood clot I had back in 2012 (Xarelto @ 10mg) + for hypothyroidism (Armour Thyroid @ 1grain q.d.)

HISTORY & SUPPLEMENT LIST: https://app.box.com/s/mc9mch8za2lbizgs9z8j4mzhz2oswn8l

• Moderator Emeritus

I take 600 mg. of vitamin c twice daily to help with histamine sensitivity. I'm wary of taking more, because of having kidney issues in the past.

The evidence linking vitamin C supplements with an increased rate of kidney stones is inconclusive, it seems this is one of those longstanding myths, based on a theory, without any clear proof to back it up.

In addition to Vitamin C, DHEA has an inverse relationship with cortisol. Has anyone else tried it to help reduce the morning surge and w/d symptoms in general? I take 25mg daily. If I don’t take it, my levels fall to low normal.

Some links on DHEA:

DHEA - The Real Story

DHEA lessens depressive-like behavior via GABA-ergic modulation of the mesolimbic system.

Thank you for all these links csm, I haven't read through all of them yet, but after reading through our thread on DHEA here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/808-dhea-dehydroepiandrosterone/

I started thinking about trying a small dose, so I've ordered some. But I'm not sure if I'll actually receive it, because DHEA is a restricted substance here in Australia, only available by prescription, so it may be confiscated by customs. If it arrives, I'll probably try 2.5mg to start.

The Camu Camu (natural vitamin c) supplements I ordered got through, and that's restricted also, goodness knows why, apparently customs also often seizes any supplements in powder form.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I take 600 mg. of vitamin c twice daily to help with histamine sensitivity. I'm wary of taking more, because of having kidney issues in the past.

The evidence linking vitamin C supplements with an increased rate of kidney stones is inconclusive, it seems this is one of those longstanding myths, based on a theory, without any clear proof to back it up.

Some links on DHEA:

DHEA - The Real Story

Thank you for all these links csm, I haven't read through all of them yet, but after reading through our thread on DHEA here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/808-dhea-dehydroepiandrosterone/

I started thinking about trying a small dose, so I've ordered some. But I'm not sure if I'll actually receive it, because DHEA is a restricted substance here in Australia, only available by prescription, so it may be confiscated by customs. If it arrives, I'll probably try 2.5mg to start.

The Camu Camu (natural vitamin c) supplements I ordered got through, and that's restricted also, goodness knows why, apparently customs also often seizes any supplements in powder form.

Wow, there doesn't seem to be a supplement that hasn't already been reviewed here - which is great. Will read through that link on DHEA, thanks.  Hope it gets through stupid customs!

Another little tidbit that may help: Injectable Magnesium Sulfate works so much better than anything oral. I shot 1g IM before bed last night and woke up without any anxiety surge this morning - first time in weeks I felt this good! Can't say for sure the Mg had anything to do with it, as I've injected it before bed before and it didn't seem to have any effect either way, so may just be a coincidence, but certainly can't hurt since it balances BOTH adrenalin and cortisol. You will need an Rx from your doc for this though. There are many vial sizes and it's fairly inexpensive. Next, I want to try injectable glycine and theanine, as that's another anxiety reliever. There is actually a formulation available called CALM:  http://defymedical.com/services/83-calm-injection-therapy

[Bear in mind that both taurine and of course GABA are gaba agonists, which, if you're withdrawing from benzos, may not be a good idea as elucidated in this forum: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/; and 5-HTP increases serotonin which if you're on SSRIs can cause serotonin syndrome]. 

For those concerned about ascorbic acid causing kidney stones, I also agree that is is inconclusive, but to err on the side of caution would recommend potassium and magnesium citrate powder which will dissolve stones and alkalinize the urine. I should know, as I passed one three years ago, the most excruciating experience I've ever endured that I'd wish on no one.

MEDS SUMMARY:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy