Altostrata

Waking with panic or anxiety - managing the morning cortisol spike

clarknova
On 8/20/2018 at 12:45 AM, Daisy said:

What helped me was writing the jumble of thoughts on paper until they settled down. Then I would write down my plans for the day and check them off as I got them done. Sometimes they were just simple things like take a shower, brush my teeth, get dressed, feed the dog, walk the dog, feed the cat etc. Then I would list the errands I wanted to run for the day. Sometimes I had to cross things off that I had put down because they did not make sense or were inappropriate. Doing this helped to get my morning brain organized in a more linear fashion instead of going over the same thing or things over and over again. It even helped distract me from the morning anxiety.

If you do this and it works for you, you have gained a tool that helps. If it does not, then you haven't lost anything by giving it a try.

Daisy

I remember this really working for me as well last time I was in a wave. I would always have this huge open notebook on my kitchen table, and I would write lists for myself every evening and then do it the next morning - "Get up", "Make bed", "Put on clothes" etc. I would be Night Guy telling Morning Guy what to do and in which order. I would also make check boxes next to every item so it felt good to cross them off. 

Thank you, Daisy, for reminding me of this. I'm just two weeks into a pretty rough wave now, so I need to get the huge notebook back out. 

Avrgejane

Hi there,

Any tips on decreasing morning cortisol? I find that mornings until about 2pm are very sensitive and tough for me. As the evening hits it’s much better. 

Any helpful tips? 

AJ

succubus76

Melatonin

Altostrata

@Avrgejane see the discussion above in this topic.

qupuf

I can't go back to sleep after I wake up with high cortisol and I haven't seen a single success story for lexapro withdrawal. I can't live like this!!!