alyheartsux3: Severe withdrawal - Trileptal, Gabapentin, Horizant

alyheartsux3

Thank you so much. I don’t know how to make a liquid. I am going to try going up to 20mg in the morning and 30mg at night for a week and see. 

My hunch is it was too soon to taper Latuda after coming on and off so many different drugs in the past 2 years. I was already in  withdrawal (skin hypersensitivity all over my body, noise sensitivity, head pressure since February, and more) 

I was having scary panic attacks/vomiting every night taking 60mg of Latuda all at night. 

I have come on and off too many drugs to remember. My parents never kept track growing up and I haven’t either. Wish I have. 

I had even tried Klonopin this past year. Like 10 different drug changes + coming off 3 drugs I was on for at least 2 and a half years each (last summer) 

*I have never gone cold turkey off of any drug. Always tapered working with the doctor. May have gone off one drug (Trileptal) faster than doctor recommended but went back up. 

Drug History: 

• Put on Zoloft at the age of 8 (2004) for several years (first drug ever took) 
  • On and off cocktails of psychiatric drugs from 2011-2018 (too many to remember, too many changes never stabilizing me) 
  • Around summer of 2017,  tapered off Lexapro, Zyprexa, and Depakote working with doctor (on each medication for few years, never tracked) 
  • Also on and off ADHD medications (Adderall, Ritalin, Strattera) and Klonopin in 2017-2018 
  • July 2017-October 2017 (took Trileptal, 900mg)-October 2017 Suffered tingling in legs, first severe withdrawal symptom 
  • November 2017-January 2018 (took Gabapentin, 900mg) (Gabapentin used for withdrawal of tingling. suffered severe withdrawal from Gabapentin) 
  • February 2018- Took minimum dosage of Horizant (300mg) for 4 days (for withdrawal of tingling, suffered severe side effects and withdrawal) 
  • April 2018-June 2018- Reduced Latuda from 60mg to 40mg working with doctor-still suffering significant withdrawal (noise sensitivity has become extreme since Latuda reduction) 

Drugs Currently Taking:   2008 Lithium 900mg (at night), 2014 Intuniv 1mg in the morning 2mg at night, early 2017 Latuda 60mg, but as of June 2018 tapered to 40mg (20mg in morning, 20mg at night) 

Supplements: May 2018 Magnesium (July 2018 stopped due to facial tingling),

May 2018 -250mg Natural GABA Now Brand (half in morning, half at night), June 2018 fish oil (2 capsules), May 2018 CBD oil CBDistillery 1000mg (5 drops in the morning 5 drops at night)

• Administrator

This topic explains how to make a liquid

What we've seen is that going on and off drugs, having adverse reactions and withdrawal symptoms makes your nervous system hypersensitive to psychiatric drugs, even those you've taken before. It is best to go up by small amounts, or you can trigger a "kindling" reaction even worse than what you're experiencing.

You are clearly already in a hypersensitized state, that's what the sound sensitivity and skin reactions are about.

I am also very, very concerned about your rash. It is a red flag. If the Latuda was involved and you take too much, you can precipitate a life-threatening event.

Please get into the frame of mind to go very carefully with psychiatric drugs. If I were you, I'd take only 5mg more and see what that does for 4 days.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto, thank you for your quick response, or I probably would've taken 30mg already. I want relief, but I am deciding not to change anything and see if I can handle the waves. Am going to try using tiny amounts of Magnesium Natural Calm. This is the worst that the noise sensitivity (and mood swings) have ever been, but I'm going to try to hold out. I have already been at 40mg for about 2 months. Sounds like going up could make things much worse.

And yes, I will be much more careful about any changes in the future. It is easy to want to trust my therapist's opinion to go up on Latuda that much for relief. 

Does the sensitization to medications get better over time? What if I get physically sick like the flu? Should I avoid antibiotics? I may want to try a different medication again, or worry that insurance will stop covering Latuda (another reason I wanted to get off of it, but withdrawal is SCARY- it is expensive) and my doctor will want to try me on something else. 

Drug History: 

• On and off cocktails of psychiatric drugs from 2011-2018 (too many to remember, too many changes never stabilizing me) 
  • Around summer of 2017,  tapered off Lexapro, Zyprexa, and Depakote working with doctor (on each medication for few years, never tracked) 
  • Also on and off ADHD medications (Adderall, Ritalin, Strattera) and Klonopin in 2017-2018 
  • July 2017-October 2017 (took Trileptal, 900mg)-October 2017 Suffered tingling in legs, first severe withdrawal symptom 
  • November 2017-January 2018 (took Gabapentin, 900mg) (Gabapentin used for withdrawal of tingling. suffered severe withdrawal from Gabapentin) 
  • February 2018- Took minimum dosage of Horizant (300mg) for 4 days (for withdrawal of tingling, suffered severe side effects and withdrawal) 
  • April 2018-June 2018- Reduced Latuda from 60mg to 40mg working with doctor-still suffering significant withdrawal (noise sensitivity has become extreme since Latuda reduction) 

Drugs Currently Taking:   2008 Lithium 900mg (at night), 2014 Intuniv 1mg in the morning 2mg at night, early 2017 Latuda 60mg, but as of June 2018 tapered to 40mg (20mg in morning, 20mg at night) 

May 2018 -250mg Natural GABA Now Brand (half in morning, half at night), June 2018 fish oil (2 capsules), May 2018 CBD oil CBDistillery 1000mg (5 drops in the morning 5 drops at night)

So what if I end up in a hospital? What will they do to me?  This is too much for me to handle. Noise sensitivity is VERY VERU extreme. I increased the CBD oil to try to help it and it has only gotten worse. And magnesium 

Drug History: 

They will make me take many more pills. 

This is why I wanted to try to increase latuda to improve things INSTEAD of ending up in a ward. Every medical advice doctors have given me has led to where I’m at right now I’m worse withdrawal. 

Drug History: 

I understand going up on latuda could make things worse so I’d rather not risk it, but this is an emergency. (The extreme noise sensitivity) 

Should I wear noise canceling headphones and earplugs together? Noise canceling headphones doesn’t even block out the EXTREME sound but it makes some of it a tiny bit better.  My misophonia doctor said not to use earplugs OR noise canceling headphones that this GIVES YOU WORSE NOISE SENSITIVITY. At this point, I’d rather wear earplugs/noise canceling headphones and risk having a permannent noise sensitivity than end up in a psychiatric ward. I don’t know what they would do to a person In withdrawal not knowing about it. This is why I have only been using headphones with music occasionally as adviced and exposing myself to everything and using music therapy (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) which is supposed to help both my tinnitus and “misophonia”, (I believe this is extreme noise sensitivity from withdrawal in addition to misophonia. She says I don’t have hyperacusis) My concern now is ending up in a hospital. I’ve been working with her for 3 months it got a little better with exercise in the past 2 weeks and now more extreme than it has ever been in my entire life in the past week. Seems like it changes in waves. 

If if I go to a hospital, they will confine me in the emergency room,  not give me my medications for 3 days, and then give me the wrong medications in the hospital and force me to take many medications. 

I am living in an apartment with very chill roommates. This is the best living situation, as living with my parents is not good for me. There were no rules growing up and I acted out there. I cannot be in that environment and luckily my parents understand and are supporting me financially along with disability right now. 

Drug History: 

Hi Alyheartsux

i read your post about the Magnesium Natural Calm.  I had some success with that supplement as well.  i took it for one night about a year and a half after stopping zoloft and zyprexa and the anxiety and extreme chest tightness that i had been experiencing in wd went away for one night.  It was almost a miracle, i was able to yawn and stretch and relax for one night, anyways, before the symptoms of wd came back.  Usually, since wd, my yawning sounds totally strange and constricted and not like myself, due to the chest tightness from poor sleep quality and sleep deprivation, but the Natural Calm made me feel like my old self for a night.  i took it again the next evening and it didn't do anything except give me diarrhea.  i have read where some people say they have better luck slowly sipping it throughout the day.  i have had pretty bad reactions to the other mag supplements since then, including severe hamstring cramping.  it seems like it was a one off thing for it working for me. 

Anyways, i hope you have some luck stabilizing and finding a way to rid of the noise sensitivity thing. 

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

I have developed ear pressure and sound is amplified to the extreme now. It came on suddenly within 2 days. Softs sound sound extremely loud. It’s hard to get dressed, shower, brush my teeth. 

Is this a withdrawal symptom? 

Drug History: 

Hi, 

i am in the hospital and am very concerned about the increased noise sensitivity. The staff here dont care and I was surprised one doctor didn’t believe withdrawal for months was possible. Other one does but they are changing my meds. 

One week ago I experienced nausea, vertigo, ear pressure/fullness, and then sound has been amplified making it hard to do anything. Eat, shower, get dressed.  When you look this up on google, you see that it is a scary permanent condition. 

Does this sound like possible withdrawal or more likely a permanent condition? 

Earplugs and noise canceling headphones do not block out the sound. I have super hearing. 

In the hospital for my mood disorder after not being able to take withdrawal anymore so they aren’t concerned about my hearing or how it impact my ability to function.just stay for 3 weeks while they tweak my meds. My parents say to trust them. I’m at John Hopkins in Maryland and I’m a rare case here so I’m convinced it’s all permanent and my life is over. 

Nurse didnt even believe me when I said I have had hives since February (even though dermatologist confirmed it). They treat me like I don’t know how what I’m talking about cause I’m a psych patient.  

•  

Drug History: 

• 2 weeks later...

I am still in the psychiatric hospital. Last year, I came off Depakote. Zyprexa, Lexapro, many more in past year or so. 

They want to reinstate Depakote, which I was on for several years. (Came off last June) 

Can reinstatement still work? I am still on Lithium (1200mg now-hospital increased it) and Latuda 40mg. 

I’m going to be on medications for life. 

Drug History: 

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi alyheartsux, 

How have you been doing? I see you’ve been to the psych ward in August. Have any of your medications changed? If they have could you please put that in your signature. Thank you. 

I’m sorry the doctors didn’t believe you about your physical symptoms. Once we are in a psych ward they pretty much treat us like we don’t know anything, like you said. We are just treated like unstable people that don’t know what we’re talking about. I’ve been in a psych ward a number of times because I was suicidal because of the akathisia caused by withdrawals. I had nothing psychologically wrong with me, I was put on meds because of chronic pain. 

At the time though I didn’t actually know that the symptoms were caused by the meds, and I truly thought there was something mentally wrong with me. 

What are your symptoms like now? Have you stabilised at all?

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 1 year later...

Hi all I am currently in the hospital. They have me on the highest dose of Haldol (20mg) lithium 1350mg and cogentin 1mg 

I just took vistaril and it is helping my EPS symptoms

Symptoms I am having: 

1. Eye movements 

2. EPS symptoms of head movements 

3. panic attacks and high anxiety 

4. OCD tendencies 

5. Akathisia 

6. appetite changes 

7. poor concentration

8. hand tremors 

I am taking Haldol orally 

MORNING: 

levothyroxine 100mcg 

Haldol 10mg 

Cogentin 1mg 

NIGHT: 

haldol 10mg 

lithium 1350mg 

cogentin 1mg 

I was on lamictal before. Is it gonna be hard getting off Haldol? What helps? I’ve been on lithium since I was 12. Would love advice about meds!

Drug History: 

• Administrator

Hello, @alyheartsux3

It looks like you're on yet another cocktail? I am sorry you have EPS. That is a sign of excessive psychiatric drugs. You should speak to the hospital doctors about this. 

If I were you, I would engage the services of a psychiatrist who believes in minimal drug dosing. You will need to figure out ways to avoid hospitalization, because every time you go back into the hospital, you are likely to be put on high-dose drug combinations. That is what they do in US psychiatric wards.

The method to taper off any psychiatric drug is the same: Small reductions at approximately monthly intervals, to allow your system to adjust to the change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.