coolabool: Should i stop

coolabool

Hi ALl

I suffer from worry and once in a while it causes bad anxiety and depression.

This time my doctor put me on 50 MG zoloft and have been on it 7 weeks. 

I am petrified on the tablet and of withdrawl, so much so that i think i want to stop taking it .

I am so confused now that i dont know who to trust or talk to , should i taper the drug now and stop it ?

Edited by Shep
added username to title

Hi everyone

To achieve 10% reductions in the tablet, how can i split up the 50mg tablet that small (i.e. from 50 to 45 for example)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, coolabool, and welcome to SA.  I have moved your post to our Introductions forum.  This is where you should post questions and updates.  This is a site dedicated to helping people taper safely off psychiatric drugs.  I assume from your point that this is what you want to do. You have been on the Zoloft long enough to cause withdrawal symptoms and so you should follow the suggestions made below.

First, to give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.  Please keep your signature as simple and easy to read as possible.
At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

The following link gives information about how to make non-standard doses of Zoloft from your 50mg pill, which you will need to do to taper.  As the link explains, you do this by making a liquid from the tablet, having liquid Zoloft prescribed, or using a scale to weigh the portions of the pill.

The purpose of the slow 10% taper is to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Many members have benefitted from the non-drug coping skills described in these two links.

Psychiatrists know little, if anything, about tapering and withdrawal.  These two links are helpful for when you talk with your doctor.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for the reply.  So my plan is to actually stay on the medication for 6 months because there probably isnt much point in having taken it for 7 weeks and going off then. As i have gone through the onboarding etc i may as well give it the 6 months that is recommended before going off it

Is this overkill for me ? I am on the lowest theraputic dose of zoloft, 50 MG and will be on it for 6 months. My doctor says that everyone is able to taper off in 3 weeks,  i know that doctors dont know much about the tapering etc but do most people do ok with much faster tapers than mentioned on this site ? In other words , should i expect the best and just prepare for the worst instead of the other way around ? 

Last week i didnt really know what i was doing and i alternated 50 and 25 on a few days and didnt suffer any real symptoms (no evident ones anyway, maybe tiny bit of restless leg and one instance of minor diarrhoea that may be unrelated as my wife had it also ).   Definetely no head issues or anything, does that mean that i am not sensitive ? 

• Administrator

Hello, coolabool.

If you stay on Zoloft for 6 months, you should plan to taper it very gradually. See the links Gridley gave you, particularly Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

50mg Zoloft is a normal dosage, not a small dosage. Do you feel a benefit from it?

Advice like your doctor's -- to taper over 3 weeks -- is exactly how we get so many people here complaining of severe withdrawal symptoms.

It's likely that after your experiment alternating dosages that you made your nervous system more vulnerable to withdrawal symptoms.

No one can assure you that you are in a position to have an easy time going off Zoloft. Don't count on that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

But 50mg is the minimum dosage , it goes up to 200 mg. 

To be honest im not finding any effect from it - should i stop it now ? If i stopped it now would it be easier and quicker to do ? 

Why do you think that i have made my system more vulnerable to withdrawel. My GP recommended that approach when i want to taper it, obviously i am not tapering now and only did it for two days.  I am terrified now - will i be able to get off  and have i damaged myself ?

Are the odds still in favour of an ok step down , most people have no problems , right ? 

• Administrator

What we've seen here is that going on and off psychiatric drugs is wearing on the CNS. Alternating dosages can also be destabilizing.

Since you didn't get symptoms from the drug changes over a few days, you're probably okay for now. But don't experiment with your dosing. These drugs are not candies.

Is Zoloft the first drug you've tried?

Anyone who has taken a psychiatric drug for more than a month is at risk for withdrawal syndrome. No one can foretell if you will have problems "stepping down."

It's up to you whether you want to stay on Zoloft. The longer you're on it, the more likely you'll have trouble coming off it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok thanks 

I tried lexapro for a week a few months ago and that was it. So if i was to taper in the next few weeks , i should be ok after my mistake last week ?

If i taper hsvinv been on if for 8 weeks would i have to do the 10% taper ?

• Administrator

You have been on and off drugs. You would be wise to be cautious.

I wish I could negotiate a faster taper for you, but 10% per month applies to anyone taking a drug for more than a month.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Ok thanks

I only took 5 lexapro tablets i think. They surely cant have much of an effect as i stopped them with no side effects at all

How can i bring 50 mg zoloft pill down 10 %? 

• Administrator