RAD407, Paxil withdrawal

RAD407

I got up to a dose of Paxil 60 mg for about 2years.  I found a new psychiatrist who  gave me a psychotropic gene assay via buccal swab.

He told me Paxil  does not  work well in my body  instantly reduced to 40  for about 5 weeks.  Met with Dr,  with gene test results  Reduced down to 20mg.  and in one week will go to 10mg.

I feel dizzy,  more comfortable by myself.  Keep sending spouse to be with friends.  Not laughing and light like i  usually am.  Some confusion when driving.  i dont want to feel this way forever thats for sure.

I was a people person since the paxil reduction  I am more a loner who doesnt think about my friends  as often as used.  I really just want to be left alone.

I am not happy   but I dont' feel anything like sad, happy. I can feel aggravated and angry.  I am tired and I enjoy sleeping when I can.

Was given Deplin and Wellbutrin increased to 300mg a day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RAD, 

My heart goes out to you for being in this predicament. You will not feel this way forever. 

You are having withdrawal from the reduction in Paxil. 60 to 40 to 20 to 10 is way, way too fast. 

However, there is hope. 

We generally recommend tapering at a rate of 10% per month maximum. Doing so is a much gentler and safer way to get off these drugs.

Are the Deplin and Wellbutrin new? Please create a "signature" letting us know all the drugs you are taking and brief history of drug changes, using this link: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?tab=comments#comment-116334

Most importantly, please let us know dates that you were taking the recent changes of Paxil (date you decreased to 40, date decreased to 20, etc.). In the meantime I will post some important links here. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• SkyBlue changed the title to RAD407, Paxil withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

This thread explains the importance of tapering slowly (much, much more slowly than most doctors think is necessary): http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Depending on how long you have been on your current dose, a slight updose (increase) might be recommended, and then we can get you stable before properly tapering. But please don't change anything yet, until you hear more from us.

This talks about antidepressant withdrawal syndrome: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

This here will be your introductory thread, to share your progress, to ask questions related to your situation, and receive support on your journey.

Again, welcome to SA.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

I wonder why my doctor doesnt care you like seem to?  My counsellor is on  vacation.   Appreciate the info.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, RAD407 said:

I wonder why my doctor doesnt care you like seem to?  My counsellor is on  vacation.   Appreciate the info.

RAD, your question both warms my heart and makes me really sad and mad.

My honest feeling is that doctors don't understand. I don't know why. You would think that they would see, from experience if nothing else, how hard these drugs are to come off of. 

The good news is, there is hope for coming off them.

When you get a chance, please let us know what your recent dosages/dates have been.