Griqua: withdrawal from Risperdal Consta

Griqua

• Administrator

Exactly what drugs are you taking now?

When was the last time you got a Risperdal Consta injection? Do you think you have withdrawal symptoms? What are they? 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Right now I'm on 37 mg of latuda. I take it in the night with 350 calories of food.

I've got my last risperdal injection december last year. I changed to latuda on december the 20th 2017. I don't know if I have withdrawal symptoms but I do have some odd symptoms.

I'm impotent (no libido difficulty getting an erection) like when I was on risperdal and I have difficulty waking up in the morning like when I was on risperdal. I usually wake up at 11 12 am or 1 pm.It annoys me greatly but I dont know how to tackle it. I can put on several clocks but it doesn't work and I'm expected to find a job soon!

But that's not the whole story.

When I'm stimulating myself I can get an erection and ejaculation and when I do that, some odd processes begin in my body. First it began as a tingling in my right foot big toe. Then my right chest began to tingle. Then after some further time my left chest. After some further time I experienced some violent pain in my left chest. It felt like I was having a stroke. Then after some time the pain stopped and I felt a hard pressure on the left chest. Then after some time again I felt the pain on my left chest and off course the tingling. Every week I masturbate to see what happens.

I have been reading Risperdalhater's story and he recovered from risperdal consta injections after 14 months. I so hope that also happens to me (although I'm on latuda now). In 2 or 3 months time, I'll know.

Kind regards

Griqua

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Risperdal consta 37,5 mg 2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

Oh and the brain colds. I forget to mention them. Sometimes I get a sudden cold fealing in my brain. This also occured after some time.

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• 1 month later...

Today i felt a bit of sexual sensation and I had an erection for a short period of time . I hope things will continue that way 

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Griqua how's your libido? Are you still feeling the slight improvement?

15mg Abilify - September 30, 2018 - October 10, 2018
1 Abilify Maintena 400mg Injection - October 10, 2018

I think it was a so called window that I experienced. So it's gone now. As of lately i have some twitching in my right hand after masturbation. Sometimes when I cook I get a sudden cold feeling in my brain and sometimes theres a tingling in my penis. It always happens after I masturbate but the symptoms evolve. Before I had a cold feeling in my brain, I could faint for a sew seconds or have a unpleasant wavering feeling in my body.

So there definitely is something going on. But I don't know what sense to make of it. Risperdalhater recovered after 14 months from 1 injections. I've had three and I've read somewhere on the internet that it could take 1.5 year or 1 year and 8 months to recover but that was with other drugs. I don't really have a clue and it's psychologically stressing to continue without knowing anything.

Thx for writing. Makes me feel better to write about my problems.

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

Apart from risperdalhaters story i can find absolutely no recovery stories concerning risperdal consta injections on the internet and this freaks me out it seems to have permanent effects can anybody help med out ?!

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• Administrator
On 12/2/2018 at 5:19 AM, Griqua said:

Right now I'm on 37 mg of latuda. I take it in the night with 350 calories of food.

Latuda can also cause sexual dysfunction and other odd symptoms. What you're attributing to Risperdal Consta may be from your current drug.

Yes, people recover from injections of antipsychotics. But if they're taking other drugs, they may continue to have neurological side effects from those.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Latuda can also cause sexual dysfunction and other odd symptoms. What you're attributing to Risperdal Consta may be from your current drug.

Yes, people recover from injections of antipsychotics. But if they're taking other drugs, they may continue to have neurological side effects from those.

Yes It could be the latuda. But I'm not sure so I went to an expensive private psychiatrist to get his opinion and he said that it couldn't be the latuda.

Yesterday I had tendencies of fainting throughout the day and it has begun to hurt at the places in my butt and shoulder where I was injected with risperdal a year ago. Also have some pains in the right side of the abdomen. I still sleep to about 11 o'clock no matter what time I go to bed.

If anyone know about recovery stories from risperdal consta and or impotence from latuda I'd very much like to know!!!

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Griqua said:

But I'm not sure so I went to an expensive private psychiatrist to get his opinion and he said that it couldn't be the latuda.

You could look up Latuda side effects on your own easily enough and find that no matter how much you spent on this psychiatrist, he could be wrong.

Latuda prescribing information from the manufacturer:

https://www.latuda.com/LatudaPrescribingInformation.pdf

Hyperprolactinemia

Counsel patients on signs and symptoms of hyperprolactinemia that may be associated

with chronic use of LATUDA. Advise them to seek medical attention if they experience any

of the following: amenorrhea or galactorrhea in females, erectile dysfunction or

gynecomastia in males....

What are the possible side effects of LATUDA?

Increased prolactin levels in your blood (hyperprolactinemia). Your healthcare provider may do blood

tests to check your prolactin levels during treatment with LATUDA. Tell your healthcare provider if you have any of the

following signs and symptoms of hyperprolactinemia:

Females:

○ absence of your menstrual cycle

○ secretion of breast milk when you are not breastfeeding

Males:

problems getting or maintaining an erection

(erectile dysfunction)

○ enlargement of breasts (gynecomastia)

From US FDA:

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=afad3051-9df2-4c54-9684-e8262a133af8

5.7 Hyperprolactinemia

As with other drugs that antagonize dopamine D2 receptors, LATUDA elevates prolactin levels.

Hyperprolactinemia may suppress hypothalamic GnRH, resulting in reduced pituitary gonadotrophin secretion. This, in turn, may inhibit reproductive function by impairing gonadal steroidogenesis in both female and male patients. Galactorrhea, amenorrhea, gynecomastia, and impotence have been reported with prolactin-elevating compounds. Long-standing hyperprolactinemia, when associated with hypogonadism, may lead to decreased bone density in both female and male patients....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346058/

Hyperprolactinemia

Lurasidone can raise prolactin levels, with a dose-dependent relationship in short-term clinical trials. Hyperprolactinemia was slightly greater in female patients. In the pooled analysis of short-term placebo-controlled trials, the mean change in prolactin levels from baseline was significantly different from placebo: +1.1 ng/mL for lurasidone-treated patients (0.3 ng/mL for 40 mg and 3.4 ng/ml for 120 mg) and −0.6 ng/mL for placebo-treated patients.52 Mean changes in prolactin levels were greater in patients treated with haloperidol (+8.5 ng/mL), than with olanzapine, lurasidone, and placebo (+3.7 ng/mL, +1.1 ng/mL, and −0.5 ng/mL, respectively).55 The increase in prolactin level for lurasidone 120 mg/day (+10.9 ng/mL) was significantly greater than with olanzapine (+5.0 ng/ml) or placebo (−2.5 ng/ml).45 Compared to ziprasidone, the median increase in prolactin was significantly greater in the lurasidone group (2.0 ng/mL and 3.0 ng/mL, respectively).43 No symptoms were reported in either study, and no patients discontinued study medication because of high prolactin levels.43,45 Compared to risperidone, median increases from baseline at 12 months were 0.10 ng/mL for lurasidone and 9.10 ng/mL for risperidone.

Pharmacol Rep. 2016 Aug;68(4):748-55. doi: 10.1016/j.pharep.2016.04.002. Epub 2016 Apr 22.

Lurasidone: The 2016 update on the pharmacology, efficacy and safety profile.

Jaeschke RR1, Sowa-Kućma M2, Pańczyszyn-Trzewik P3, Misztak P3, Styczeń K4, Datka W4.

Author information

Abstract

The aim of this paper was to review the up-to-date evidence base on pharmacology and clinical properties of lurasidone. Lurasidone is an atypical antipsychotic, approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar depression. Lurasidone exhibits both an antipsychotic and antidepressant action. Based on its pharmacodynamics profile, it is believed that the drug's clinical action is mediated mainly through the D2, 5-HT2A and 5-HT7 receptors inhibition. In patients with schizophrenia the recommended dose range is 40-80mg/day. In bipolar depression broader dosage ranges (20-120mg/day) were found to be effective. In terms of side effects, higher rates of akathisia, parkinsonism and hyperprolactinemia were observed in individuals receiving lurasidone (as compared to patients treated with other atypical antipsychotics). On the other hand, treatment with lurasidone yields relatively lower risk for developing sedation or overweight/obesity.

My guess is your old injection of Risperdal Consta is not your current problem. Because you're taking a drug that most likely is causing the symptoms that distress you, not sure what else we can do to help.

My prolactin levels are normal . It's more likely that some of the drugs has messed up my brain in some other way . I'm not saying you're wrong but I still think the consta hypothesis is more likely . I dont think i would feel the way i do if it was the latuda . Ive ordered an old book about antipsychotics withdrawal hope to learn more but it seems to take much longer time to withdraw from risperdal injections than from pills 

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• Administrator

We can't help you one way or the other. If it's the Consta injection, all you can do is wait for the symptoms to gradually disappear.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

If it's your current intake of Latuda, it's not going away until you reduce or discontinue the drug, and even then it might take you a long time to recover.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Griqua: withdrawal from Risperdal Consta
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure but I think this subject must interest others than me as well so I will continue to write how i feel. Because i do have some developing symptoms. 

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

I had a dream last night is that a good thing?. Also I get some warm feeling in the side of the abdomen and in the legs and of course tingly feelings in my body. Sometimes a brain zap (is that what they are called?).

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• 3 months later...

I keep updating because of the next unfortunate soul. There really is nothing in english about this. I've bought some magnesium and gingko biloba. Do anyone have experience with these? My symptoms keeps evolving. Now, I feel sometimes a sticky pain in different muscle follwed by an electric feeling in the brain. I hope this is a good sign. A brain zap? Also on doctissimo a french web forum similar to antidepressants, there is much more debate and info on risperdal if anyone should be interested.

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Griqua said:

I've bought some magnesium and gingko biloba.

Some members have found gingko too stimulating.

Gingko and Ginseng - Surviving Antidepressants

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

17 months off... perhaps I should just give up

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

I've noticed that I have begun to dream again. Is that a good sign? Does anybody have any thought on dreams and drugs?

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

antipsychotics injections

Has anyone tried to wear off an injection? Risperdal consta, abilify maitena, invega, xeplion ect. How was it and how long did it take? What's your opinion about injections vs pills?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

merged 2 Introduction topics

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Griqua said:

antipsychotics injections

Has anyone tried to wear off an injection? Risperdal consta, abilify maitena, invega, xeplion ect. How was it and how long did it take? What's your opinion about injections vs pills?

Griqua, I believe your questions were answered earlier in this topic.

If your sleep has improved lately, that's a good sign. How are you feeling overall? What drugs are you taking now?

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, Altostrata said:

Griqua, I believe your questions were answered earlier in this topic.

If your sleep has improved lately, that's a good sign. How are you feeling overall? What drugs are you taking now?

I am still on latuda. As said I have these odd symptoms and I hope this could lead somewhere. Anyway if I stopped taking medication altogether, I would probably beome psychotic again and forced to take medication. So I wait and see what happens for now. Although waiting is hard and I have to find a job but I still get up late in the morning. And then there's the anhedonia. Life sucks...

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• Administrator

How much Latuda are you taking, at what time of day? Effects of the Latuda alone could be causing your blankness and lack of energy.

• 2 weeks later...

37 mg I take it just before bed. I've been more sedated on other drugs than I have noww. Today, as I passed a woman, I really wanted to hug her. I felt some minor attraction. That's why I keep on. Although keepig up courage is hard sometimes.

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• 1 year later...

Three and a half years ago, I went from risperdal consta to latuda. Within the last six months, I've been losing 15 kg of body weight. Good sign? Bad sign? Also, with some difficulty, I can get up early and go to work now. Will this continue? What can I expect? Why does it take such a long time?

The only two things that saddens me is that I still have emotional numbness and sexual dysfunction.

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018