Cipro: Solving cognitive issues with dopamine

Cipro

Firstly, I want to say i don’t know English well.

I have generally high IQ. My memory and motor coordination was very powerful.

I used Prozac for 36 days / 10 mg. While using, i notice some cognitive impairments. I stopped it suddenly after told my doctor.

After 20 days, i lost my ‘all’ emotions and movement capabilities. I must try 3 times to write one word properly. I can’t play FPS games now.

My emotions and of course sexual desires gone. I think it’s called PSSD.

I researched as much as i can but couldn’t find any solid answer. In longecity, people think they are all maybe caused by dopamine inhibition.

Serotonine autoreceptor desensitization —> Need to more serotonine to reuptake —> more serotonine —> more dopamine inhibition

Someone tries tianeptine, ginkgo biloba, amino acids etc. But im only 16 yo and i don’t know which is harmful or safe to me. I will go to neurology doctor but i think he will say it’s caused by depression. But of course not.

I can’t imagine, feel, play games, watch movies, remember now.

Is time enough for recovery? Or should i try different supplements?

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

Side effects - Cognitive impairment, short-term and working memory impairment, emotionless, lack of sexual desire, movement dysfunction.(some of them appeared 20 days after stopping treatment)

Pyhsical - 16 years old, 62 kilogram

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cipro: Solving cognitive issues with dopamine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cipro, welcome to SA!

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

We don't tend to recommend many supplements here because individual responses vary so much, and because in withdrawal our systems can be very sensitive and react in unexpected ways to supplements.  Anything that messes with neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine can be particularly risky.

One supplement that many people find helpful is omega-3 (EPA & DHA from fish oil or krill oil), which can be very helpful for cognitive symptoms such as "brain fog".

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi,

What  you are describing is wdl symptoms. The site exists solely to guide people to manage miseries that come from various psych drugs through tapering drugs very slow rate.

17 hours ago, Cipro said:

I will go to neurology doctor but i think he will say it’s caused by depression. But of course not.

This happens usually 99%.  It happened to me and was put one after another drugs with a cocktail mixture for 2.5 years. 

So while going to the doctor with such speciality,  you have to choose words carefully.

But, why were you put on fluoxetine for start?

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda
6 hours ago, Songbird said:

Hi Cipro, welcome to SA!

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

We don't tend to recommend many supplements here because individual responses vary so much, and because in withdrawal our systems can be very sensitive and react in unexpected ways to supplements.  Anything that messes with neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine can be particularly risky.

One supplement that many people find helpful is omega-3 (EPA & DHA from fish oil or krill oil), which can be very helpful for cognitive symptoms such as "brain fog".

I’m taking Orzax Ocean Plus 780 mg x 2 per day. Also im taking 8000 IU vitamine D3, 1 gr vitamine C for 10 day.

I hope will can find sympathiser doctor.

3 hours ago, bhasski said:

Hi,

What  you are describing is wdl symptoms. The site exists solely to guide people to manage miseries that come from various psych drugs through tapering drugs very slow rate.

This happens usually 99%.  It happened to me and was put one after another drugs with a cocktail mixture for 2.5 years. 

So while going to the doctor with such speciality,  you have to choose words carefully.

But, why were you put on fluoxetine for start?

It was OKB. But I ruined my all career and life now. I was studying to olympiads but can’t writing one word properly now. Also I don’t feeling any emotion.

There is not much people can recovered.

People just saying desperately it’s not improved after months or years.

I’m really worrying about this.

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

Side effects - Cognitive impairment, short-term and working memory impairment, emotionless, lack of sexual desire, movement dysfunction.(some of them appeared 20 days after stopping treatment)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cipro,

I'm sorry you have been harmed by Prozac, it sounds like you had an adverse reaction, and possibly some withdrawal from stopping it suddenly.

But you are young, and was only taking it for a little over a month, so any changes it made to your brain and nervous system shouldn't take too long to repair themselves. You will get better, but its just going to take a little more time.

Its best not to confuse your brain by throwing lots of supplements at it, aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, avoid supplements. (See King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker). They've been helpful to many of us. 

A healthy diet and regular exercise may also help you to recover faster. Its best to stay off the internet and sites which cause more anxiety. You are going to get better, but if you get stressed, thinking you wont, that can slow the recovery process. Do your best to take care of yourself, find things to do that you enjoy, live a healthy lifestyle and you will recover in time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I used to write on keyboards 'very' fast. And my reflexes was pretty well. But after stopping SSRI, I'm really like have Parkinson disease. I have trouble with walking, writing, typing and other every movements. I couldn't find any experience except tardive dyskinezia but i think my problem is not this.

It's maybe caused by dopamine inhibition. I read that Serotonine autoreceptor desensitization causing more serotonine between the neurons. That causing more dopamine inhibition than normal.
I had read it's permanent. Maybe SJW extract can resensitize it but everyone reacts different to it.
Area1255's blog have interesting informations.
Any thoughts?

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

• Administrator

Welcome, Cipro.

I moved your post here.

You are recently off Prozac. You have withdrawal symptoms. These will go away slowly, over months. They will continue to change, to get worse and better, before they go away.

Dopamine issues are irrelevant. Prozac is not particularly dopaminergic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

35 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Cipro.

I moved your post here.

You are recently off Prozac. You have withdrawal symptoms. These will go away slowly, over months. They will continue to change, to get worse and better, before they go away.

Dopamine issues are irrelevant. Prozac is not particularly dopaminergic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2674976/

I has found this article. I’ll try to reading slowly to understand well.

Serotonin is not dopaminergic but indirectly affects it and norepinephrine. Serotonin receptor resensitization is maybe the key of healing.

edit-

Also I said, my other problems like movement disorders appeared after stopping treatment. I have found Prozac is 5HT2C antagonist. So when i was using it, my dopamine was not affected. 

But now it’s antagonistic effects are gone and im suffering dopamine loss.

I know parkinson(loss of movement capabilities and other dysfunctions) caused by dopamine loss on substantia nigra.

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

I have to start new topic because it’s will can be helpful to many people. Don’t merge this please.

Firstly, i saw a comment saying L-Tyrosine is cleared all his brain fog after one pill cipralex and 5 months. (L-Tyrosine is precursor of dopamine.)

While i was looking different sources, found more interesting informations.

I wrote three times in my post this but have to explain in here.

SSRI’s are desensitize receptors. Autoreceptors are problematic ones.

When they damaged, they need to more serotonine to reuptake or don’t reuptake as well as earlier(idk which one). Because of this, dopamine is inhibited.

Of course, everyone is not same. There are so much factor like acetylcholins, hormones, genes. And im not encouraging people to use drugs.

But brainfog and parkinson(dopamine related disease) like movement dysfunctions are maybe caused of dopamine in most of all. This article is very helpfull imo.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2674976/#!po=63.2075

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

I looked up some topics and noticed most of successfully recovered person was using their drugs very long time. I didn't used Prozac for 15 years or 6 years. I have been on it just 36 days and dosage was 10 mg. I saw people who used 4-12 months and couldn't be recovered still but there are peoples who used for 15 years and healed!

This led me to think, Maybe after long-term exposure, people forgot their 'actual' capability and when quit ssri, such a minor things seems like a big recovery.

Now, I'm 16 years old. My english is not enough to read long comments or scientific evidence. Even if all these were in my native language, i don't think I could anything too.

Area-1255 is well informed person. It seems he could solve nearly everything with nutritions and other medicines. Even he is well informed and even there is few people was could feel good with his suggestions, I couldn't find any comment about effects wether permanent or not. I think he just trying to balance side effects induced by ssri because there is not certain way to resensitize 5-HT autoreceptors.

I'm only 16. Already I didn't have any social interactions and sport experience. and I wasn't good with my family. My whole amusement and hope were watching anime, reading memes and creepypastas, listening musics like anime osts and vaporwaves, imaginating things really 'deeply' . I had created another universe in my brain. I'm also in the best highschool in my country and I was olympiad winner in primary school :).

Now, I lost all these. Every one of them! Sorry for that but i can't even watch p*** and relax. My brain is like always sleepy or I have brain fog.

I will go endocrinologist and check up my hormones. Area had said when testosterone reach their range, 5H1A may be recovered over time.

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Cipro said:

Area-1255 is well informed person. It seems he could solve nearly everything with nutritions and other medicines. Even he is well informed and even there is few people was could feel good with his suggestions, I couldn't find any comment about effects wether permanent or not. I think he just trying to balance side effects induced by ssri because there is not certain way to resensitize 5-HT autoreceptors.

Hi Cipro,

Area-1255 was banned from Surviving Antidepressants because he was recommending pharmaceutical drugs and advocating neurotransmitter bio-chemical nonsense.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

26 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi Cipro,

Area-1255 was banned from Surviving Antidepressants because he was recommending pharmaceutical drugs and advocating neurotransmitter bio-chemical nonsense.

If you mean 5-HT receptor subtypes and neuroendocrinology, what’s wrong with them? Things he said all in scientific experiments and he gives pubmed links explaining his opinions.

Im definitely inclined to not use any medicine or strange herbs to healing. But I saw someones in this forum suffers very long time. When body is not enough for fixing itself, we should solve issues with different medicines and herbs temporarly(even maybe permanently) at least. Doesn’t be banning Area is bad idea?

Starting day - 6 March

Dosage - 10 mg/day

Ending day -  12 April

A/D - Prozac Syrup

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Cipro said:

Doesn’t be banning Area is bad idea?

This was 1 reason for the banning.

SA is a site for tapering psychiatric drugs.  Altostrata created this website in 2011/12 because of the lack of knowledge that the medical professional have with how to get their patients off these drugs.  Altostrata has done a lot of research.  The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  If Alto had found anything in her research which worked she would gladly and freely be telling us all about it.  There is no magic pill or potion. 

The brain is always trying to regain homeostasis, or factory settings.  Taking anything which changes the chemicals in the brain causes a chain reaction.  Giving our brain a "clean" and minimal stress environment gives it the best opportunity to do what it is trying to do.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

Hey cipro,  pranav here my case is nearly exactly same as yours.  It's been a year,  have you recovered or noticed any substantial changes.  Hope you are well. 

Thanjs

20 mg prozac from 1/11/19 to 8/11/19

40mg prozac from 22/12/19 to 14/1/20

.25mg clonazepam  from 3/3/20 to 14/3/20

20 mg escitralopam on 12/4/20 , 17/4/20 to 20/4/20