Theaddictionfairy22: Reinstated a benzo after 19 months

Theaddictionfairy22

• Moderator Emeritus

From about-survivingantidepressantsorg

On 3/17/2011 at 11:02 AM, Altostrata said:

Taking a harm reduction approach to psychiatric drugs, we recommend reducing your dosage to the lowest effective dose for you, minimizing your drug burden for the sake of your general health.

My experience:  My Pristiq was increased from 50mg to 100mg.  My diastolic blood pressure increased a lot.  It was monitored for 24 hours and my doctor doubled my blood pressure tablets.  Several years later I realised from researching that I had mild serotonin toxicity, one symptom of which was increased blood pressure.  My doctor did not make the connection between the increase in Pristiq and the increase in BP.  Reducing my Pristiq meant that I was able to reduce my blood pressure medication.

What is Medication Spellbinding? Simple Truths in Psychiatry Video #3

Gwen Olsen was a pharmaceutical representative for 15 years:  Video:  Ex-Big Pharma Rep:  We’re Trained To Misinform (6 minute video)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Theaddictionfairy22

• Shep

• PoetJester

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

so What are you trying to get me to do I can’t lower my geodon the withdrawal is horrific do you think I need that right now?  I can’t stop or lower the klonopin because I haven’t stabalized yet and that will put me where I was before I reinstated and that’s not happening because I was hospitalized and if I don’t take the hydroxizine I don’t sleep at night so what are you guys trying to get me to do I was bedridden for three months before I reinstated and am now starting to be able to get out more with getting windows. Wednesday night was the first time in 7 months that I went somewhere in the evening. So you tell me I just saw the dr my vitals are perfect I don’t even raise my voice at my kids my symptoms aren’t mental which is what that video talks about. I am in withdrawal and have not stabalized yet but am 40% better than I was in September showing progress but just went through a bad wave as your sight has posted everywhere that it’s not linear and it’s a windows and waves pattern which is what I’m going through. 

Was on geodon for 11 years started day time dose made me too sleepy so started tapering day dose using klonopin. Did 5 day detox 12/5/16 off klonopin didn't like it after 9 months. Easy withdrawal with trouble here and there. At 16 months got nails done while in a wave and body shut down bedridden three months hospitalized with over 100 symptoms almost losing consciousness. Hospital have Ativan and I walked out of the hospital after arriving in ambulance took Ativan a week then 16 days ago started 1.5 klonopin trying to stanaloze but meds make me sick not sure what to do.  I dose klonopin at 10am 330 pm and 9 pm .5 mg each  I dose geodon at 650 am 10 am 9 mgs and 40 mgs at bed. Started 50 mg hydroxyzene 04/2016

I feel like you guys are trying to be drs and pharmacists and experts on medications and not individuals who are giving their reinstatement experiences. 

Was on geodon for 11 years started day time dose made me too sleepy so started tapering day dose using klonopin. Did 5 day detox 12/5/16 off klonopin didn't like it after 9 months. Easy withdrawal with trouble here and there. At 16 months got nails done while in a wave and body shut down bedridden three months hospitalized with over 100 symptoms almost losing consciousness. Hospital have Ativan and I walked out of the hospital after arriving in ambulance took Ativan a week then 16 days ago started 1.5 klonopin trying to stanaloze but meds make me sick not sure what to do.  I dose klonopin at 10am 330 pm and 9 pm .5 mg each  I dose geodon at 650 am 10 am 9 mgs and 40 mgs at bed. Started 50 mg hydroxyzene 04/2016

• Administrator

Not sure what your goals are here, Theaddictionfairy22. This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. Before we can figure out how to reduce your drugs, we need to know 1) what you're taking; 2) when you're taking it; 3) why you're taking it; 4) symptoms before and after you take it.

Nobody here can wave a magic wand to get you out of your drug tangle. We need some facts before we can discuss benzo dosing or anything else. The way you take Geodon may be causing some of your symptoms.

Yes, you have been uncooperative and discourteous to the staff. If you don't want to respond to our questions, please do go elsewhere.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was not discourteous and I’ve answered all your questions several times. It’s like if I don’t agree with you then I get a warning or a point. I feel like you’ve not listened to anything I have said. Your not making suggestions your telling me I’m screwed over and over. I have never had a problem or side effect from geodon in 11 years no problems till going off a benzo why won’t you acknowledge I’m in withdrawal? 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Theaddictionfairy22 said:

I was advised to come to this group because I might get advise on benzo reinstatement from someone with experience but all I keep getting is told how dangerous the medications I’m taking are which is making me worse and not helping.

I just noticed this, in a post from 3 hours ago.  I took it out of the rest of the paragraph you wrote af22.

You've already reinstated the benzo, Klonopin.  I think that was back in August?  It's not clear from your signature when 16 days ago was.

If you don't wish to look at your drug(s) combination before making changes.......that's fine I think.

And if you don't wish for any changes........well........I'm not clear again why you are here.

No one has told you to do anything at all with your medications.

Other than let us take a look at them.  And......the only way we can do that is by getting a day to day picture of things.  That's why we ask for the logs.  And then, of course, Alto has a few questions for you too.  Why are you so defensive?

All for now,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Theaddictionfairy22 said:

I was not discourteous and I’ve answered all your questions several times. It’s like if I don’t agree with you then I get a warning or a point. I feel like you’ve not listened to anything I have said. Your not making suggestions your telling me I’m screwed over and over. I have never had a problem or side effect from geodon in 11 years no problems till going off a benzo why won’t you acknowledge I’m in withdrawal? 

I'm not sure you are in withdrawal. Like many members here, you could be experiencing adverse effects from your drugs.

To identify the problem, we need to know 1) what you're taking; 2) when you're taking it; 3) why you're taking it; 4) symptoms before and after you take it.

If what you want is suggestions about how to increase your benzo dosing, please go elsewhere.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Let’s say your right adverse reaction then why in the entire year of 2016 taking the exact same meds same dose even was I perfectly fine no symptoms fully functional felt normal. Why in July to November of 2018 have I suddenly developed an adverse reaction? Had gene test metabolize all drugs normally. Taking geodon 11 years no side effects so why now have I developed an adverse reaction? 

The gene testing tells you the dose you should be on and if your likely to have side effects. The only med I tested not normal on were antidepressants which I’ve never been on and I listed earlier all meds times and symptoms if you could kindly go back and read that. 

I just read Your bio. Why were you in withdrawal for nine years but this isn’t withdrawal for me and I’m not being rude or uncooperative if I have someone telling me I’m this and not that then I’d like to know how educated on antipsychotics and benzos they are? Again I’m just asking questions and I didn’t ask how to increase my benzo I know how to do that on my own. 

And I believe that anyone on this site that’s having adverse reactions to their meds should have the gene test done it will tell you what drugs and dosages you should be on because they might find out the drug they are on is one not suited for them. 

Also do you have eight day windows when you are having adverse reactions?  Or is that a windows and waves patter too?  And with an adverse reaction is it normal for them to be all anxiety symptoms? 

One last thing the only time I’m symptom free for the most part. Comfortable relaxed clear headed normal is after I’ve taken all three drugs at night that’s why I sleep 9 to 10 hours a night. 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Theaddictionfairy22 said:

Let’s say your right adverse reaction then why in the entire year of 2016 taking the exact same meds same dose even was I perfectly fine no symptoms fully functional felt normal. Why in July to November of 2018 have I suddenly developed an adverse reaction? Had gene test metabolize all drugs normally. Taking geodon 11 years no side effects so why now have I developed an adverse reaction? 

There's a thing which happens with all of these drugs (whether you are genetically "suitable" or not):  kindling.

Or poop-out, also called "tachyphylaxis."  The drugs will not work the way they have always worked forever.  Your body will adjust to the drug, and will either need to increase the drug, change the drug, or go off the drug.

It changes your sensitivity to the drug.  These drugs don't "fix" anything, they merely put you in a dampened down state so that you can continue living under stress.  It is not until you deal with the stress - whether that is trauma in your past, trauma in your present, or pressure on you in your living conditions, that you will resolve the issues and get better.

You can continue to drug yourself into oblivion, but when you reach "poop-out" - the drug doesn't cover what it used to cover.  Ergo - even though "it worked fine" for 11 years - it may not now.

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, we have learned that the best way out of tachyphylaxis is to get off the drug via slow taper.  You may be having other perturbations caused by the drug - and your complex cocktail - that actually make moods and symptoms worse.

This is why it is vital that we get complete information.  This is not like other forums where people just throw opinions about - we have protocols, education, information, and procedures that we have found - in over a decade of working with hundreds of people - help.  

While there are very few of us who can find instances where the drugs have any benefits, we're happy to get people's doses down to the minimum possible. 

What is it that you want to do?  Reduce your cocktail?  "Tweak"  your cocktail?  Remember, we don't recommend drugs, only tapering and relieving the stress that the drugs cause.

You are on a toxic mix of drugs - what a pharmacist and doctor says is rare - is much more common than the drug literature promotes.  Please read Robert Whitaker's "Anatomy of an Epidemic" to understand better how long term use of these drugs makes most conditions worse.  Start with this short video...
Robert Whitaker Summary of Anatomy of an Epidemic: 10 mins 

And - I hope you see the Sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

My life was as close to perfect as it could be before I went into this wave at 16 months I have no trauma no stress an amazing child hood and now an amazing family. I went to the nail salon for two hours and could barely walk out. I know about tolerance and adverse reactions and I’m not having an adverse reaction if that were the case I would not have shown signs of great improvement I simply asked is it possible to have a very bad wave after much improvement or could I have hit tolerance. The symptoms I’m having are the same as before I started taking the klonopin again. 

• Administrator

Enough about the nail salon!

This is from August:

On 8/1/2018 at 3:44 AM, Shep said:

From your recent posts, this is a list of how you're dosing throughout the day:

7 am Geodon 9 mg
10 am Klonopin .5 mg and Geodon 9 mg
  4 pm Klonopin .5 mg
  9 pm Geodon    40 mg
10 pm Klonopin .5 mg

This is what we have of your more recent drug schedule and symptom pattern:

On 11/14/2018 at 4:23 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi addictionfairy 22,

This one may have been for 11 November 2018, double check it please af22, as this is the one I added to, in lavender.

6:50 am took geodon 9 mg, went back to bed

8:40 woke feel shaky and gravity pulling me down feel heavy legs weak haven’t had this since before I reinstated 

9:30 dosed geodon 9 mg and klonopin 0.5 mg no help with standing and walking tired head off a little feel like I could fall over sitting 

10:30 tired legs feel heavy

11 feel better head a little off and slight collapse feeling 

12 feel very off

12:30 pm body nausea head ache 

1pm can barely stand head distortion feel like being pulled down eyes starting to strain overall malaise. Crippling fatigue laid down.

3:30 dosed klonopin 0.5 mg, malaise pelvic pain and very tired I’ve been having pelvic pain for a month with irregular periods for four months since reinstatement. 

5:15 sickness over body headache shaky feeling of moving when not stomach ache 

6 ache all over hard to walk head distortion 

615 severe pins and needles sickness over body let up at 7 feel like jumping out of skin now

730 let up a lot headache and eyes off head distortion can’t get up can only lay down

9:00 pm geodon 40 mg,  klonopin 0.5 mg,  iron dose made me high hasn’t done that in over a month and made me feel a lot better slept till 9:15 am

this is how it’s been the past 17 days before that it was 10 minute to two hour waves throughout the day of stinging nerves or nausea all over 

11/12/18

650 am 9 mg geodon went back to bed 

woke 915 feel bad but not as bad as yesterday 

10 am took 9 mg geodon .5 klonopin head off tired 

12 pm went to gas station had trouble standing head and eyes really off felt like collapsing 

1245 sitting in recliner feel ugh tired and head off can barely see straight 

200 feel a little better very tired and off shaky ok when sitting but walking is rough 

215 had severely bad episode can even describe shaky really feel off hard to walk freezing 

330 dosed .5 klonopin made me tired and lethargic I’ve been crying the last 18 days because I thought I was stabilizing but now I’m very depressed 

430 severely sick praying for death can’t see straight stomach hurts whole body off feel like passing out. 

600 let up significantly just feel crappy ate a piece of pizza and made my stomach hurt

11/12/18 continued

630 pm let up significantly very cockeyed

9 pm dosed iron pill 40 mg geodon, .5 mg klonopin. Helped cockeyed made chest and arms hurt fell asleep at midnight got up ay 930 am.

11/13/18

650 9 mg geodon went back to bed

930 am woke morning not as bad as last few 

10 am dosed .5 klonopin. 9mg geodon able to do dishes laundry ran to store briefly much better than past legs and head a little off

330 pm dosed .5 klonopin made me a little high and walking a little more difficult. 

530 started feeling bad overall malaise 

let up by 6

715 trouble standing and walking 

eyes starting to strain head a little off 

800 pm feel better eyes a little strained walking a little better 

830 wave of malaise  have a raw feeling I can’t explain like weakness and jittery on the inside of my body only lasted 20 minutes 

9pm took iron pill  40mg geodon. .5 klonopin feel tired but normal first time my night time dose has actually normally relaxed me since I reinstated 

fell asleep at 11 slept hard till 9 

(copied over from previous posts)

Are you taking any hydroxyzine now addictionfairy22?

On 11/16/2018 at 12:16 PM, Theaddictionfairy22 said:

Im going to seek help somewhere else I told you why I was taking it during the day and my drug variation is only 15 to 30 minutes at the very most and that’s very rare 

650 am 9 mg geodon

10am 9 mg geodon. .5 klonopin 

330 .5 mg klonopin

9 pm .5 klonopin. 40 mg geodon and iron pill

10pm 50 mg hydroxyzene 

I was 100 times worse before I reinstated the klonopin. So if anything the nonfunctional is not due to the drugs but from not stabilizing yet because I’m still in withdrawal. I know you gave me a warning (mod note: 0 pt warning given - please see this post for warning details) because I feel your tone is very condisending. Which I don’t think was right. I simply asked from the start if you can have much gain then go into a bad wave which ended three days ago. You keep asking me to repeat things I’ve posted several times. I was advised to come to this group because I might get advise on benzo reinstatement from someone with experience but all I keep getting is told how dangerous the medications I’m taking are which is making me worse and not helping. Prior to withdrawal I took these meds for a year with no issues. An entire team of drs from psychiatrist to neurologist and gp from OSU one of the best hospitals in the country and dr una from battle against tranquilizers with 40 years of experience all tell me the meds aren’t causing this I just haven’t stabalized. I don’t need advice on my medications I know these boards are very anti dr. Altostrata because of you I no longer want to seek advice from this board you cause undue stress. I’ve repeated myself several times for you and then in a snarky tone you’ll ask the same question again. I have had gene testing and I metabolize these drugs normally. Thank you for googling drug interactions and not giving me personal experiences but that’s not what I’m looking for. 

Your symptom pattern indicates overdrugging, not withdrawal syndrome.

Whatever drug reaction you're having is not genetically determined, you're probably having a drug-drug interaction between Geodon and Klonopin that would affect most people.

You seem to be insisting that your combination of Geodon and Klonopin could not be responsible for your symptoms, yet it's obvious they become worse AFTER you take your various drug doses.

To reduce the symptom pattern you're having, you need to address your bizarre Geodon and Klonopin dosing, NOT increase Klonopin. To counsel you about this, we need more information.

If you don't think Geodon and Klonopin are responsible for your symptoms and you don't want to change the dosing of both drugs, I don't think we can help you. Please consult a physician, they get paid for this stuff, we don't.

Do you have 8 day windows or any windows and waves with adverse reactions? 

So Should I drop my meds or listen to other people that reinstated an antipsychotic and benzo that said they’ve went through the same thing I’m going through before stabilizing? I’ve googled adverse reactions several times and the symptoms I’m having aren’t what they say I’m having but I’ve googled all my symptoms for anxiety and benzo withdrawal and they all do show my symptoms so I’m confused on what to do? 

You guys have told me that geodon Lasts 7 hours so by 5 it’s wore off my worst time of the day is between 5 and 9 when I take the geodon again so why is that?  I had a full day window two days ago do you have that with adverse drug reactions? I would think you would have no windows with a drug reaction. But I’m not a dr. 

Per two drs and 2 pharmacist and the psychiatric hospital I just called the only adverse reaction with those two drugs are increased sedation which is very normal with those types of drugs and the chances of developming an adverse reaction after 11 years on a drug is 1 in a billion. There is no tolerance with antipsychotics and they are completely different than an antidepressant.  You guys have told me that geodon Lasts 7 hours so by 5 it’s wore off my worst time of the day is between 5 and 9 until I  take the geodon again so why is that?  I had a full day window two days ago do you have that with adverse drug reactions? I would think you would have no windows with a drug reaction. But I’m not a dr. The symptoms I have are the ones I had before I reinstated the klonopin just to a lot lesser degree. Is there anyone that’s replied to my original question that has reinstated a benzo?  Also they all said these drugs are very commonly prescribed together. 

Which I have so yes your right I am having a drug reaction just like everyone else who takes these types of meds which I’m ok with it’s the other withdrawal symptoms that I’m still having because I haven’t stabalized yet. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you have 8 day windows or any windows and waves with adverse reactions? 

It is possible to have a window during an adverse drug reaction. You could be stabilizing from one or more of your drugs and / or drug changes and some of what is technically an adverse drug reaction, such as sedation, is still ongoing. But because this sedation helps with sleep and anxiety, it's seen as a positive effect, as opposed to an adverse effect. The fact that an effect can be seen by one person as positive and another person as adverse speaks to how subjective this can be. 

I have no idea if that is happening in your case or not. You posted daily drug and symptoms journal for the days when you were struggling (November 11, 12, and 13), but then stopped (you mentioned that "Wednesday night was the first time in 7 months that I went somewhere in the evening", but didn't provide a drug and symptoms journal for that day, November 14, or any day since). 

Per two drs and 2 pharmacist and the psychiatric hospital I just called the only adverse reaction with those two drugs are increased sedation which is very normal with those types of drugs and the chances of developming an adverse reaction after 11 years on a drug is 1 in a billion.

From a leading research hospital in the US, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine: 

Study Suggests Medical Errors Now Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S.

These drugs are dangerous, AF. Please do some research. Here's a great place to start for research psych drugs:

Mad in America

And we have a journals section with a lot of information:

From journals and scientific sources

You can also google for blogs by great researchers on psychiatric drug withdrawal such as Dr. Peter Breggin, Dr. David Healy, Dr. Joanna Moncrieff, etc. 

If you're more comfortable with the information from doctors and pharmacists and psychiatric hospitals, please go to them for help coming off these drugs instead of posting about it here and then expecting us to argue with you about it. We've seen first-hand the number of adverse reactions that occur, even years after someone's been on a drug. When people get older, they metabolize drugs differently, other health issues can cause conflicts, stress can also ramp up symptoms that might not have occurred otherwise, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Theaddictionfairy22 said:

Which I have so yes your right I am having a drug reaction just like everyone else who takes these types of meds which I’m ok with it’s the other withdrawal symptoms that I’m still having because I haven’t stabalized yet. 

Please post specifically what you experience as "a drug reaction" symptom and what are the "other withdrawal" symptoms.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this point, it can be subjective. 

AF, if you're more comfortable with your doctors, pharmacist and psychiatric hospital, please get your taper advice there. SA is not for everyone and we can't have moderators continuing to argue the SA methodology again and again. 

Do your research and then decide what is best for you. 

• Altostrata locked this topic