Derealization or Depersonalization (DR and DP)

squirrel

@julesb

Had a look at

and 

?

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 2:10 AM, Lilmizz21 said:

Hi guys

I keep feeling like my brain is disconnected to my body, is this DR??

This would be a good thing to ask a trauma informed clinical psychologist.  Not being able to settle back into the body after an event is a pretty classic feature.

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A member has just posted their in their Introduction topic:

1 hour ago, Abdullah said:

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in and say I've been slowly feeling much better for the past few months. My blank mind (extreme dp/dr) has almost gone away, and I can function somewhat normally now (I still have mild dp/dr though). I've also started university again! 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

This is excellent to hear! Thanks for posting it here.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 2 months later...

Has anybody experienced sound and vision distortion? When i look at the tv or the iPad/iPhone it’s like the image is either to small, too far away or too close, like not normal. Sometimes i have issues focusing my eyes on the screen and the image is weird. My vision is also blurry.

I also struggle to focus on sounds. Its either to loud, to far away or i just cant detect where its coming from. Sound can also sound weird, more sharp and static. 

When i put my earbuds in to listen to music, i cant hear the music properly. Its like its trapped in the back of my head and muffled. I find this very distressing, because i literally cant listen to music anymore. I also have a giant cotton ball (sometimes feels like a brick) in the back of my head where i hear the distorted music! Literally feels this inside my brain! 

Anybody experience something similar? Or should i go to the doctor?

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Hi @Sofa

I have experienced this since my adverse reaction. One of my persisting issues is sight. Things are blurry even when I am wearing glasses, almost as though I cannot focus on objects. I think this is a symptom of DR. 

I have found going with the flow and trying not to be so bothered about it helps. I know it is because I am still recovering it wasnt there before my reaction so it will not be present when I heal. It helps me live with it and try and remain in the present. 

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

Given what our nervous systems have to adapt to on these drugs, and coming and going, those vision issues you mention may be reflecting that.  I have had occasional short-lived bouts of blurry vision during my taper.  I can't think of any since reaching zero.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I am going through what many of you have reported. My brain is confused, I have no feelings, I feel disconnected from the world and from myself, I have memory problems and reasoning difficulties, I can't think like I used to. I already have 9 months of mirtazapine withdrawal. Will these symptoms go away? Or will I have to live with it and not recognize myself anymore? It seems like it never ends. It's frustrating to go through all this, not knowing who I am anymore. Does the brain heal from these symptoms? I feel disconnected from everything.

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is how I feel everyday. 

It's like the world has a fishbowl effect - you can see outside but nothing really gets in.

You TRY to fixate on something but your focus is off. 

Sends my anxiety off - even if that feeling is muted with flatness/Anhedonia. 

It's so distressing when you feel like you should panic with it, but don't. 

Prozac/Fluoxetine - October 2016 - April 2017 

Citalopram - October 2018 - June 2021

Mirtazapine - June 2021 - August 2021

Prozac - October 2021 - November 2021

Trazodone - November 2021 - March 2022

Sertraline - June 2022 - present

Emotional blunting/ Anhedonia being the main symptom. 

Anyone also struggle with memory and cognitive issues? 

I dont know if this is dp/dr, but my brain just wont seem to process or register the world around, either if i see or hear things, my brain just dont register it. I can see the house, but a house has no meaning to my brain, and the brain cant give it any meaning.

When i read i can see the Word, but my brain wont associate the Word with its meaning.

I walk outside but its still like i dont see the world or hear it. Its really uncomfortable. I cant understand or process what i read or watch on tv either.

My vision also seems off. Like its sort of clear, bur something is wrong and everything is a little off and out of focus, and i cant see things clearly. I struggle to focus my eyes. 

I also have a really blank mind and struggle to think creativly and have no imagination? I get no spontanious thoughts. I cant visualize and my inner monologue is gone 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Sofa I struggle with this even 2 years and 7 months out from my reaction.

I would class this as DR.

Sometime for a brief second it passes like yesterday when looking at a brick wall it looked real, otherwise it is always almost 2d. I also have vision issues.

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

37 minutes ago, Sofa said:

Anyone also struggle with memory and cognitive issues? 

I dont know if this is dp/dr, but my brain just wont seem to process or register the world around, either if i see or hear things, my brain just dont register it. I can see the house, but a house has no meaning to my brain, and the brain cant give it any meaning.

When i read i can see the Word, but my brain wont associate the Word with its meaning.

I walk outside but its still like i dont see the world or hear it. Its really uncomfortable. I cant understand or process what i read or watch on tv either.

My vision also seems off. Like its sort of clear, bur something is wrong and everything is a little off and out of focus, and i cant see things clearly. I struggle to focus my eyes. 

I also have a really blank mind and struggle to think creativly and have no imagination? I get no spontanious thoughts. I cant visualize and my inner monologue is gone 

Yep. You're not the only one. 

Mind doesn't have an inner monologue, line the voice in my head is quiet and isn't distracted by anything. 

Like I say, fishbowl, nothing gets in. 

The vision thing is true too, like it's clear but has a light haze around everything and sometimes it's has this "catch up" thing, like the world is always a split second to catching up to what I see. 

The world just has a total flatness to it. 

Hi! I'm having these symptoms of disconnection from everything, lack of feelings for simple things like lunchtime, or that feeling before going on a trip, seemingly simple things that I miss a lot, I just feel a whiteboard. This lack of an inner voice is also notable, as is difficulty with reasoning, creativity and understanding. Self-awareness, and I think I can describe it as a lack of awareness of space and time. I also have hearing problems, eardrums very sensitive to sounds. And not forgetting the short-term memory that doesn't work right. I feel like my brain was being limited by something, it wasn't at its full capacity for processing and perception.

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

I think what would be a good description of the lack of feelings would be as if we were a whiteboard and our emotions the paint, however, in the current situation, we have only black and white available, reaching only a few shades of gray. The real emotions would be the other colors that would color our feelings picture.

12 minutes ago, Warrior said:

I think what would be a good description of the lack of feelings would be as if we were a whiteboard and our emotions the paint, however, in the current situation, we have only black and white available, reaching only a few shades of gray. The real emotions would be the other colors that would color our feelings picture.

Yup. I've called it the grey for many years, trying to get it across to my mum or my girlfriend, or anyone lending an ear. 

Like, I just don't understand how people can take these things and come off them no problem about after a year. 

Like, I went a year and 7 months without any medication whatsoever and nothing lifted for me in that time, so I went on Citalopram because my doctor said it was depression or anxiety. 

I've been two months off nearly from Trazodone and I'm just going more and more back to that feeling of flatness (I gotta say though I was a crying wreck because my happiness was behind a wall and felt like I couldn't break through to it at all) and the Derealization would disapate a little with each reduction. 

Anhedonia/flatness is a b**** and it sucks that you're going through a maze feeling half drunk - blurry eyed and dreamlike without the pleasurable sleepy feeling. 

It's really hard to make others understand, I just let it go, I don't insist anymore. I just try to live. I think there are not so many cases of people who simply leave without problems, I think many believe that they are still "sick" and accept to go back to medication. Hard to be sure, I have an aunt who has been taking it for 17 years and she believes that when she stops, she has the symptoms of the disease back, the doctor says the same, but I'm sure it's withdrawal. I don't know how it was removed, or what took you to the doctor, but mine was a CT and it's much worse than a slow and maybe even longer withdrawal. It takes time for you to heal from withdrawal and it's usually not how long we're willing to wait. I'm heading to month 10 without medication and I still have very difficult times, but I always remember who I was before all this and I try to get through. Symptoms are the worst feelings anyone can feel, but we are stronger than we think and we can go through the drugs of hell, as I've come to call them. Stand firm and believe that things will get better. For me the are slowly improving, but sometimes it is imperceptible.

58 minutes ago, Warrior said:

It's really hard to make others understand, I just let it go, I don't insist anymore. I just try to live. I think there are not so many cases of people who simply leave without problems, I think many believe that they are still "sick" and accept to go back to medication. Hard to be sure, I have an aunt who has been taking it for 17 years and she believes that when she stops, she has the symptoms of the disease back, the doctor says the same, but I'm sure it's withdrawal. I don't know how it was removed, or what took you to the doctor, but mine was a CT and it's much worse than a slow and maybe even longer withdrawal. It takes time for you to heal from withdrawal and it's usually not how long we're willing to wait. I'm heading to month 10 without medication and I still have very difficult times, but I always remember who I was before all this and I try to get through. Symptoms are the worst feelings anyone can feel, but we are stronger than we think and we can go through the drugs of hell, as I've come to call them. Stand firm and believe that things will get better. For me the are slowly improving, but sometimes it is imperceptible.

Do you have windows of improvement? 

Like I'm getting memories of feelings at the moment. 

However, I remember that I had that when I went 18 months without meds with no window whatsoever. 

Like, I'm gonna try ADHD meds soon, talk to my psych and see if I can but off ADs for a while just to see how I feel without. 

But yup, there's the whole thing that seretonin deregulates the dopamine system so I'm hoping the ADHD meds upregulate the system better and I'll feel a little bit more normal. 

I'm also gonna be taking a prescribed antihistamine that should help my head pressure and ear pressure that I'll be mainly taking for sleep though due to me being insomniac. 

I currently have some windows, but they're not grandiose things and they leave me as I was before them. I still have a lot of symptoms and I don't know when I'll be cured of them all. I don't know much about other drugs, I just lived well and didn't have any problems until I was put in this terrible situation. The advice I can give you is to be careful with these medications, be very careful. I was naive to believe others and even more so in not paying attention to my body's signals. After everything I've been through and am going through, I can say that no one knows what we really feel, no doctor knows, sometimes not even us. Carefully analyze each decision regarding your health, as this will save you from many problems.

48 minutes ago, Warrior said:

I currently have some windows, but they're not grandiose things and they leave me as I was before them. I still have a lot of symptoms and I don't know when I'll be cured of them all. I don't know much about other drugs, I just lived well and didn't have any problems until I was put in this terrible situation. The advice I can give you is to be careful with these medications, be very careful. I was naive to believe others and even more so in not paying attention to my body's signals. After everything I've been through and am going through, I can say that no one knows what we really feel, no doctor knows, sometimes not even us. Carefully analyze each decision regarding your health, as this will save you from many problems.

How do you feel when you have a window? Like I'm even having trouble even moving atm, it just feels like I'm dragging myself around in all this. 

Symptoms calm down for a while, not all. It's not that they cease to exist, but they become milder, less intense.

I kind of feel like my frontal lobe is gone. Is this part if withdrawal/dpdr?

When i visualize its in the back of my head (when i manage to get a small picture), and not in the front of my head/whole head like before. Music does not fill my whole head. I can only hear it in the back of my head and i cant hear it in the front of my head. Its so disturbing. When i look at things i Feel like my frontal lobe cant «see» it or register what i am seeing. 

I can look at a picture, but its like looking at a blank wall because my brain wont process it or give it meaning, or attatch emotions to it!

Sometimes music and speech just sounds like gibberish. I cant really process it and the words just float together. I can hear the music, but like with vision, my brain does not process or understand or attatch emotions to it. Speech and music sounds weird. 

Sometimes i Feel like there is something in the way inside my brain almost, which is stopping my brain from processing and understanding things fully!

I have most issues with videos, when i read and just listen to music. 

When i can see and hear the person who sparks, its a little easier.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

5 hours ago, Sofa said:

I kind of feel like my frontal lobe is gone. Is this part if withdrawal/dpdr?

When i visualize its in the back of my head (when i manage to get a small picture), and not in the front of my head/whole head like before. Music does not fill my whole head. I can only hear it in the back of my head and i cant hear it in the front of my head. Its so disturbing. When i look at things i Feel like my frontal lobe cant «see» it or register what i am seeing. 

I can look at a picture, but its like looking at a blank wall because my brain wont process it or give it meaning, or attatch emotions to it!

Sometimes music and speech just sounds like gibberish. I cant really process it and the words just float together. I can hear the music, but like with vision, my brain does not process or understand or attatch emotions to it. Speech and music sounds weird. 

Sometimes i Feel like there is something in the way inside my brain almost, which is stopping my brain from processing and understanding things fully!

I have most issues with videos, when i read and just listen to music. 

When i can see and hear the person who sparks, its a little easier.

Hello Sofa! I don't know exactly if this symptom of a blocked mind and difficulty in abstraction (that's what I call it), as if I can't visualize concepts, ideas, or can't process information, or associate emotions with things, is related to dp/dr. I also feel all these symptoms you described and they are really distressing, I feel dumb. I'm in college and I need to study, but because of that I don't have an understanding of what I'm studying.
It's withdrawal symptoms, I'm sure of it, as I've never felt it in my life. I believe it has a strong relationship with the production of serotonin and the way the brain uses it for our brain connections. I also believe that the frontal lobe is one of the most complex parts of the brain, as it is responsible for rational thinking and decision making. It is probably a more difficult area to heal.
Just as hearing problems are linked with serotonin, it is also responsible for the brain's response to external stimuli and sense perceptions. I have this symptom too.
I believe they pass with time, but I can't say how much time. I've had this processing problem for months now.

Anyone experience reduced smell and taste (not covid)

I have reduced smell and taste since having dpdr.

I cant smell the ocean or the freshly cut grass. I cant taste much either.

What i can smell does not make me Feel anything. If i smell tea, coffee or my favourite food, it does not make me Feel anything and i dont associate it with anything.

When i eat, what i taste is just bland and does not make me Feel anything. I know its my favourite food, but its like i cant «Feel» or taste the flavour. It could be cardboard for all i new. 

It is like i smell with my nose and not with my brain, and i taste with my mouth and not with my brain.

Anyone else Feel like this?

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• 6 months later...

I've had derealization for a month now.

I can function and go out, but no emotion. 

Just a feeling of disconnect to all my surrondings.  

I feel better when the sun is out, but December gloom has been around the past 3 days.

Wish I could feel...

So distressing and bleh. 

I can't even find the right words to say, it's so bad today. 

Was on Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien, Klonopin and Depakote for several years. Came off Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien and Depakote c/t in 2009. Came off Klonopin in 2012. 

I forget the dosage other than 4mg of Klonopin. 

In the worst phases of withdrawal, it feels like I am floating through the world, not really there. I want to move my legs and arms but they don't want to budge as easily. No action feels natural.

I don't notice the DR/DP when I'm interacting with people, which could be because interactions help with it OR because I only put myself in prolonged social situations when I don't feel like that. Some days it is awful, some days I barely notice it.

My biggest problem is that I can't voluntarily bring myself to interact with people during those times - meaning I neglect friends, family, etc. It can take me hours to get myself together to respond to a simple text because a response just refuses to come to me. I blank. Not to mention losing track of time and completely losing the ability to commit to anything.

When I do get stuck around people, my interactions with them are brief. I zone in the middle of conversations and cannot articulate the simplest things easily at times. Naturally, people do respond differently to me as a result, too. They stop taking me as seriously when I'm screaming in my head, no, no, I don't want to be like this, let me out... These experiences only ramp up my anxiety and makes me even more socially avoidant in the future whenever I feel the DR/DP.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for overcoming this hurdle, I would love to know...

Started Lexapro/Cipralex (Escitalopram) 5mg around May 2020 due to extreme pandemic-related distress and chronic anxiety; Vyvanse 40mg (previously Concerta 36mg) started ~March 2020; previously on Concerta 36mg since October 2019.

Jan 2022: 15mg Escitalopram; Mar 2022: Reduced back to 10mg, no w/ds.

May 2022:  Tapered 10mg - 7.5mg - 5mg (liquid not available); failed going under 5mg

Jul 2022: Unsuccessful doctor-assisted taper (alternating days half dose)

Mid-Aug 2022: Reduced by 1/6ths (~0.83mg) every week, withdrawals were tolerable but could no longer tolerate my Vyvanse 40mg. Switched to Concerta 72mg for one month start of September. Percocet 1/4th a standard tablet every 4 hours for terrible w/d pain

Oct 2022: Found SA, held at ~0.42mg Escitalopram for three weeks; started Meth 25mg/day orally under Dr supervision (Rx not available here) after repeated adverse reaction to Vyvanse & Concerta not as effective. Meth taper 25mg - 22.5mg - 20mg - 18.5mg Dec. 18 - Jan. 5; HOLD

Nov 2022: ~0.1mg inaccurate measurement, failed to stabilize; Dec 5, 2022: updose 0.3mg Escitalopram compounded liquid; Jan 13, 2023: 0.27mg; Feb. 5: 0.21mg; Feb 21: 0.20mg; PROZAC BRIDGE Mar. 21 (consistent daily ups and downs without actual WDs getting intolerable): Mar 21-23 0.15mg E 0.10mg P; Mar 24 0.10mg E 0.20mg P; Mar. 27 0.05mg E 0.30mg P; Apr 1 0.40mg P (fairly smooth transition). PROZAC TAPER Apr 9: 0.36mg (prior dose felt too strong); Apr. 26 0.32mg; May 15 0.28mg; May 30 0.24mg; June 11 0.22mg; June 23 0.20mg; Jul 18 0.18mg; Jul 24 0.17mg; Aug 16 0.14mg; Sep. 11 0.12mg; Sep. 30 0.10mg; Dec. 3 0.08mg; Dec 30 0.07mg; 2024 Jan. 21 0.06mg; Feb. 20 0.05mg; Mar. 18 0.04mg;

Dilaudid 1/6th tablet then quit 12/6/22

Other meds: Xanax ~0.1mg 3x/day for AD w/ds, started Sept 2022; HOLD. My Intro Post 

It's often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars. -Richard Evans

30 minutes ago, Twilly said:

In the worst phases of withdrawal, it feels like I am floating through the world, not really there. I want to move my legs and arms but they don't want to budge as easily. No action feels natural.

I don't notice the DR/DP when I'm interacting with people, which could be because interactions help with it OR because I only put myself in prolonged social situations when I don't feel like that. Some days it is awful, some days I barely notice it.

My biggest problem is that I can't voluntarily bring myself to interact with people during those times - meaning I neglect friends, family, etc. It can take me hours to get myself together to respond to a simple text because a response just refuses to come to me. I blank. Not to mention losing track of time and completely losing the ability to commit to anything.

When I do get stuck around people, my interactions with them are brief. I zone in the middle of conversations and cannot articulate the simplest things easily at times. Naturally, people do respond differently to me as a result, too. They stop taking me as seriously when I'm screaming in my head, no, no, I don't want to be like this, let me out... These experiences only ramp up my anxiety and makes me even more socially avoidant in the future whenever I feel the DR/DP.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for overcoming this hurdle, I would love to know...

Yeah, I have the losing time: it's like I can't connect to memories.

Weird.

It's like being in a cave... lonely place to sit and reflect. 

I have been leaving the house with my derealization...it does seem a little better while socializing. 

I have had almost zero motivation...

No enthusiasm...

Joy...

Happiness...

My brain has locked these emotions up. 

Terrible symptom. 

Was on Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien, Klonopin and Depakote for several years. Came off Lithium, Tegretol, Ambien and Depakote c/t in 2009. Came off Klonopin in 2012. 

Hello all, I am almost 2 months post cold turkey cessation from Nortriptyline. 

I have a lot of random bouts of what I think are DP and DR.

I get afraid that I am on the verge of "it's just me loosing my sanity." And scares the crap out of me.

The feelings will randomly come where I just feel like completely disconnected. Like I'm on the verge of being "disconnected from reality."

Most of my other symptoms have subsided. I get intrusive thoughts now, not from the purity of intrusive thoughts but more so from the fear of ever having them again and then bam I have them. So I have to learn to train my brain to let that aspect go in terms of fear and guilt. 

But the bouts of disconnection are fairly new and freaky. Is this normal?

July 2022 began nortriptyline for migraines. 1 week at 10 mg, the following at 20 mg and the following at 30 mg.Began with what I now know to be adverse reaction after first week(excessive uncontrolled smiling, becoming lost confused light headed and extreme fatigue)At week 2 nightmares and insomnia began as well as what I now know to be akathesia (my wife noticed while we were laying down and then while I was cooking I was shaking rocking and walking all over the place)I stayed at 20mg for a couple weeks just out of fear Week 6 began 30 mg and began extreme intrusive thoughts high heart rate excessive sweating and thoughts of suicide Immediately cold turkey began, neurologist advised I would be fine/wrong 

Struggle continues from discontinuation/ intrusive violent thoughts are the biggest source of my anxiety now

15 hours ago, Donivan said:

I get afraid that I am on the verge of "it's just me loosing my sanity." And scares the crap out of me.

The feelings will randomly come where I just feel like completely disconnected. Like I'm on the verge of being "disconnected from reality."

Most of my other symptoms have subsided. I get intrusive thoughts now, not from the purity of intrusive thoughts but more so from the fear of ever having them again and then bam I have them. So I have to learn to train my brain to let that aspect go in terms of fear and guilt. 

Yes!

When you are emotionally numb, you can't connect to anything...which is scary. 

It's terrible and inhumane to suffer derealization and depersonalization. 

That said, it's your brain's mechanisms and way of coping with stress, shock or heightened anxiety.

You're safe...

Try to stay calm with it, and just keep distracted. 

@Dragoon909

Thank you for the response. This was a newer symptom for me and I was a little freaked out. The healing process for this thing sucks!

But I really appreciate your response.

July 2022 began nortriptyline for migraines. 1 week at 10 mg, the following at 20 mg and the following at 30 mg.Began with what I now know to be adverse reaction after first week(excessive uncontrolled smiling, becoming lost confused light headed and extreme fatigue)At week 2 nightmares and insomnia began as well as what I now know to be akathesia (my wife noticed while we were laying down and then while I was cooking I was shaking rocking and walking all over the place)I stayed at 20mg for a couple weeks just out of fear Week 6 began 30 mg and began extreme intrusive thoughts high heart rate excessive sweating and thoughts of suicide Immediately cold turkey began, neurologist advised I would be fine/wrong 

Struggle continues from discontinuation/ intrusive violent thoughts are the biggest source of my anxiety now

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, Donivan said:

Yes, so normal. Up to that moment i don't think i have read that someone had DP as severe as i did suffer from it. Countless times of being not connected and feeling like dreaming. I wad too scared too in many situations that i may pass out or subconciously fall asleep( because of strong DP). Something that is worth making me stunned is that DP never made anything bad to me. Yes it may have made me look not so gentle when talking to other or may look rather abnormal but this wasn't remarkable as much as i thought it was. What i want to say is DP can be considered like illusional symptom. The more you ignore and being not afraid of it, the more you don't feel its impact at all.

i wasn't on a certain drug all the period. i took many drugs many times and for no very long period but to simplify.

--fluvoxamine maleate100 mg + amisulpride 200mg------started july 2012 and total taper in february 2015 ( 9 months without drugs then)

--sertraline 100mg -------started november 2015 and total taper (withoud reduction slowly) in november 2016( 4 months withoud drugs then).

--sertraline 100mg + quetiabine 25mg ( started in mars 2016 and for 7 months) then fluvoxamine maleate 100mg again for another 7months and after that a something like to use every drug for 14 days and for about 1.5 years.

--my last drug was trintellix 10 mg ( used it in 12/2018and total taper in 4/2019).

symptomts i have now ( bad concentration and problems in short and long memory+ bad depersonalization).

@mustafa @Dragoon909 @Altostrata

Mustafa thank you for the reply to my questions. After reading through one of Altos posts about DP and DR, I am now under the impression/ am wondering if this has been the biggest hardest symptom of WD from the medication the entire time. 

it appears to me that my symptom of "intrusive thoughts" really heavily relates more to all the symptoms Alto outlined in a previous post in regards to this.

Especially the "what ifs" and "evil" being inside. The obsessive thoughts etc it all makes a bit more sense with my symptoms and that's the hardest part is the intrusive thoughts attached to the "what ifs" and "evil" aspects of all this. But reading what Alto posted made a little light bulb go off.

not sure if that makes sense or is something you guys can relate to. The damn intrusive thoughts make me feel horrible. I'll go through "normal" periods but then that will hit and it's all very attached to the DP DR feeling to me

at least I think

Hey Tranquilpeace, 

I've had my share of derealization and depersonalization over the years. It sounds like you do have it. I know with mine, I do get intrusive thoughts as well. Actually,  I think of some very strange stuff.

It sounds like you're looking for validation from different ppl who have experienced it, and I personally believe that's what you are experiencing.

Honestly,  there's not much one can do but endure it. 

It won't hurt you, as uncomfortable as it can be.

Distraction and staying busy is really all one can do. 

Hopefully it gets better for you. 

Edited by Karma
Name update

@Dragoon909

Learning the coping skills and how to get through all of this has been a challenge and all things very new for me and difficult to understand.

Unfortunately my intrusive thoughts are fear of harming my family and loved ones. I have never been a person that suffered from evil or negative thoughts really ever until the sudden onset from cold turkey of Nortriptyline. Which is why of course the thoughts are so brutal. 

I didn't get to read altos article until just before my last response to you. And it was like bam! Wow this is the symptom I have been suffering from the most. Makes complete sense. And is what I believe caused the intrusive thoughts as well as the suicidal thinking (which thank God I don't suffer from anymore) I know it all gets better but the roller coaster ride along the way sucks big time.

I appreciate your response and for calling out the validation, that's been a big problem for me in terms of this journey. Get very panicky sometimes and the comfort people like you and others on here have provided has literally saved my life.

Otherwise who knows, I probably would of checked in to hospital to be poly drugged in response to the withdrawal. There aren't many healthcare professionals versed in this side of things.

However on the bright side for all of us and those that are upcoming on this journey the research and beliefs are changing!! One of the lead university phycologists here at the university hospital was outlining how the science is now believed to of been wrong on these poisons the whole time! So places like this are making a difference!

On 1/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Tranquilpeace said:

@Dragoon909

Learning the coping skills and how to get through all of this has been a challenge and all things very new for me and difficult to understand.

Unfortunately my intrusive thoughts are fear of harming my family and loved ones. I have never been a person that suffered from evil or negative thoughts really ever until the sudden onset from cold turkey of Nortriptyline. Which is why of course the thoughts are so brutal. 

I didn't get to read altos article until just before my last response to you. And it was like bam! Wow this is the symptom I have been suffering from the most. Makes complete sense. And is what I believe caused the intrusive thoughts as well as the suicidal thinking (which thank God I don't suffer from anymore) I know it all gets better but the roller coaster ride along the way sucks big time.

I appreciate your response and for calling out the validation, that's been a big problem for me in terms of this journey. Get very panicky sometimes and the comfort people like you and others on here have provided has literally saved my life.

Otherwise who knows, I probably would of checked in to hospital to be poly drugged in response to the withdrawal. There aren't many healthcare professionals versed in this side of things.

However on the bright side for all of us and those that are upcoming on this journey the research and beliefs are changing!! One of the lead university phycologists here at the university hospital was outlining how the science is now believed to of been wrong on these poisons the whole time! So places like this are making a difference!

Your intrusive thoughts, I certainly understand. 

Lately, I've had derealization along wirh some other bizarre symptoms. I can't really say it's withdrawal,  since I've been off everything a decade now.

It's stress that brought this on. It's so important to manage stresses, but I let it go on too long. 

I've definitely had the suicidal thinking along with other thoughts that IS NOT me! 

Derealization and depersonalization can make ppl think some strange things, even erratic things. 

The good news is, we're not delusional, as we KNOW the difference.  

And you mentioned feeling like you were going insane, and that's Normal as well for dr and dp. But you're not insane nor are you going insane--or you wouldn't question it. You know something is off, and will eventually go back to normal. 

It's my understanding dr and dp are caused by stress hormones fighting, and the brain temporarily loses equilibrium.  In my case, it is. 

You're absolutely right about if going to the hospital would involve polydrugging: it would!

Their priority is to give you whatever medications to stabilize fast, and you would be sent home on that cocktail. 

With my derealization,  there's days I felt like I was almost delusional...but I am not! Because I know I'm in reality. It's just my perception is temporarily altered via dr and dp. 

Derealization and depersonalization produce their own set of other symptoms sometimes: tinnitus, head pressure, fog, floaters and the list goes on...

All a product of stress and cortisol. 

You're in good hands, along with others going through this here on the forum.

Derealization and depersonalization don't even have to be a wd symptom if stress is high. 

In your case, it is wd. In mine, stress. 

I initially believed a supplement set me back, but I think stress did now that I can see that in hindsight.  

The dr will go away, but be careful with stress. Eat healthy as possible! Limit caffeine and sugar. 

😊 

Edited by Karma
Name update

@Dragoon909

Thank you for your time and your responses. It means a great deal.

I appreciate all of your advice as well. When it comes to sensitivity the caffeine sugar and vitamin b are completely Xed out of my life for the time being.

Caffeine, vitamin B, and Cialis (unfortunately/sexual dysfunction has been a problem) all lead to very hard days very harsh intrusive thoughts and INTENSE DP/DR.

I actually created a separate post to talk about Cialis cause I have read plenty of people have hard times with caffeine and vitamin B.

Stress is a rough one to handle given the fact these stupid drugs create it ontop of everyday life. But youre 100% right on stress I have noticed outside stressers (bills, groceries, kids, wifey lol) all creat that negative response

@Tranquilpeace hi, I am experiencing dp/Dr/dissociation I believe and also could use help figuring this out. 

I thought I was experiencing akathisa, which I may have been, but the worst part of that or the lingering part of that seems to be more like depersonalization/dissociation. 

Here’s how I experience it: I’ll feel something is “off.” It sort of feels like that scene in Get Out where he is falling away from everything in the sunken place- only it doesn’t actually feel that way, it feels like that’s ABOUT to happen. It’s like something is blocking my brain, and I just see what’s in front of me, mostly- without connecting to my thoughts/feelings/consciousness about it. I feel cut off from my consciousness. It’s like I’m here, but I’m sort of lost somewhere inside of myself, trapped, and then I panic. 

it’s almost like sleep paralysis, but I’m awake, my eyes are open, I’m moving. 

it’s very upsetting and causes panic and discomfort. It makes a lot of things unenjoyable because I’m not interacting with what’s around me- I feel trapped inside, blocked off from it. It makes me worried and have intrusive thoughts like what it I go crazy, this is psychosis, I’ll lose touch with reality and my brain will truly switch off, what if I hurt myself or do something harmful, etc. then I panic more about these thoughts…. 

Is this in keeping with dp/Dr? It’s my most distressing symptom whatever it is. I went 12 days without experiencing it largely, but today it was back. 

I believe you also mentioned something Alto wrote about this… could you link here?

@mustafa @Dragoon909i would appreciate your perspectives here as well! 

Edited by Karma
Name update

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy