SkyStreamer

SkyStreamer: tapering off Cipralex / escitalopram safely

Hamster

Hi,

1) it's both. I used it to treat coughs (it should help to get rid of mucus in the lungs) and that's what its sold for as a medicine.
On the other hand it has antioxidative properties and is therefore marketed as a supplement.

2) No, I only used it for a couple of days (maybe 10 days in a row max) as medication, 600 mg/day.

3) Usually in the morning

4) No idea, it is known to interact with some kinds of antibiotics.

In a study just going on (https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-018-1845-1) they administered the NAC twice daily in combination to the usual AD treatment.

5/6) I did not experience any WD symptoms (but I did not combine it with ADs)

Regards,

Hamster

SkyStreamer

@Phil  @peggy  @GiaK  @spectio  @Rhiannon  @Nadia  @Finn  @Barbarannamated  @alexjuice  @BinxBolling  @pennygracie  @Olivia  @alwayslookup  @MatGMax @starcontrol2

@Faithgrl  @Festus  @Ryder @neurotransmission  @asdf  

I noticed that you all commented on the topic thread about N-acetylcysteine. Can any of you answer any of my questions on my last post above?

Thanks for your help with this!

Ryder

Its an over the counter drug that you don't need a script for.

I took it for a year and got addicted and because it worked so well, I started dosing more than once per day. Sure it acts like a pain reliever, like a panadol ? But, I started having side affects like paranoia, increased heartrate, blurred vision, confusion. I believed at the time the Zoloft was the cause of it but once i stopped NAC, I could drive again as your mind is so dulled.

My Naturopath doctor had prescribed this to me on top of an SSRI and a Benzo. Took it for 1 year.

I have few regrets over this journey in taping. Taking NAC was one of them.

I would say, if you avoid taking NAC that would be the best thing you could do for yourself.

SkyStreamer
1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Its an over the counter drug that you don't need a script for.

I took it for a year and got addicted and because it worked so well, I started dosing more than once per day. Sure it acts like a pain reliever, like a panadol ? But, I started having side affects like paranoia, increased heartrate, blurred vision, confusion. I believed at the time the Zoloft was the cause of it but once i stopped NAC, I could drive again as your mind is so dulled.

Thanks for your feedback, Ryder!

Could your bad experience of NAC be because of a negative interaction it had with your other drugs and your own particular constitution? Rather than the NAC itself?

Ryder
4 hours ago, SkyStreamer said:

Could your bad experience of NAC be because of a negative interaction it had with your other drugs and your own particular constitution? Rather than the NAC itself?

Yes.

But let me just say this. Having tried NAC it is one of the few regrets i have had to learn from on this journey, i would not have changed medications.

There is a reason this forum sticks to fish oil and magnesium.

If you are going to try it, stick to NAC only and probably make sure you don't have any drugs in your system. Also, your naturopath, if they have told you more Supplements just try one at a time. Then you will know what is affecting you.

GiaK

NAC is a detoxifier...I use it about once or twice a month...it's very helpful in a targeted as needed basis. I basically do that with most everything now...I've learned to listen to the body and I use what I need when I need it. NAC has literally saved my life at times (after ending up in ICU 2 years ago, I've really learned how to avoid ending up there again...appropriate detoxifying has been critical) 

it is indeed very potent. the learning curve for me was a bumpy one yet necessary. 

SkyStreamer
47 minutes ago, GiaK said:

NAC is a detoxifier...I use it about once or twice a month...it's very helpful in a targeted as needed basis. I basically do that with most everything now...I've learned to listen to the body and I use what I need when I need it. NAC has literally saved my life at times (after ending up in ICU 2 years ago, I've really learned how to avoid ending up there again...appropriate detoxifying has been critical) 

it is indeed very potent. the learning curve for me was a bumpy one yet necessary. 

Thanks GiaK for getting back to me! I really appreciate it. 

Can I ask why you don't use NAC more often? Do you think this supplement is addictive at all?

Also, I noticed on some of the topic threads, that you have struggled with histamine intolerance. I seem to be struggling with this as of late. Have you found any vitamins or supplements helpful in dealing with this sensitivity? (i.e., Vitamin C, quercetin, & bromelain)? My doctor says vitamins/supplements are only helpful with histamine intolerance and inflammation when you are also using an antioxidant like NAC.

After my rough time with ADs and wd, I can't just take my Doctor's word at face value any more. Hence, my research and questions. :)

GiaK

if you're "addicted" to it I think you probably need it. It's beneficial and largely safe in general. Most of us who find ourselves in these forums have severe detoxification issues (at least for a while...sensitivities almost always go hand in hand with detox issues)...anything that keeps lympth running smoothly is very important. I do a whole lot of things for lymph. If I take NAC more than 2 days in a row I start to retain water...and after using it once or twice I don't generally need it again for a long while. It's hard to talk about how I can tell all of this except with the rare folks I've met who have done a lot of radical detox like I have. I learned this by studying my body...it takes time...I do also research for info but I take everything I learn and read with a grain of salt. My body always has the final say. 

this post has something about body felt sense knowledge and how to learn about it...as well as info about keeping lymph going https://beyondmeds.com/2019/05/20/kitchen-witch/ 

SkyStreamer

Thanks @GiaK !

Have you found any vitamins or supplements helpful for addressing histamine intolerance?

GiaK
13 hours ago, SkyStreamer said:

Thanks @GiaK !

Have you found any vitamins or supplements helpful for addressing histamine intolerance?

not really. I no longer have histamine issues. I ate really low histamine for 3 years and then moved on...healed from that particular issue. I had really dramatic glutamate issues after that. (histamine was also bad at the time I cut it out, but I also think that eliminating almost anything from our diet helps quiet down the chaos so we can better hear what is happening and learn to listen to our bodies) Coming to balance takes time and for me it's been a moving target. If I take care of one thing another one arises...slowly it's been coming to balance in a general sense. 

I've always liked quercetin...it remains intermittently helpful...like other supps...

Quercetin was also Yasmina's (the Low HIstamine Chef's) favorite supplement...but as usual...I like to underscore that what works for one person may not help another...so...I rarely get explicit about what I take especially since everything is on an organic rotation and I can't tell you what I'm going to be taking even at my next meal most of the time. I check in as I need stuff...supplements are something I mostly avoid...but do need in targeted ways still for now. 

SkyStreamer

Thanks @GiaK ! You sound like you've collected a lot of knowledge and wisdom throughout your journey. Very inspiring!

SkyStreamer

Just reduced my dose by 1.5% yesterday from 7.2mg to 7.0mg. 

I'm doing about 1.5%-2.5% reductions every three to four weeks. Slow and steady just to test things out.

Carmie

Hi Skystreamer, 

All the best with your latest reduction. Yes, slow and steady is the way to go. We we all get there in the end.💚

SkyStreamer
On 9/10/2019 at 5:15 AM, Carmie said:

Hi Skystreamer, 

All the best with your latest reduction. Yes, slow and steady is the way to go. We we all get there in the end.💚

Thanks Carmie! I really appreciate the love and support! 

I see you've tapered all the way from 300mg to 6.25mg. Congratulations - that's amazing!

Carmie
On 9/12/2019 at 11:54 AM, SkyStreamer said:

Thanks Carmie! I really appreciate the love and support! 

I see you've tapered all the way from 300mg to 6.25mg. Congratulations - that's amazing!

Thanks Skystreamer, 

It’s taken many years to get down to 6.25. I’ve still got many more years to go, but I’ll get there. I won’t be jumping off until I’m down to a really tiny dose, maybe even 0.0something. I’ve been so sensitised by all the meds I’ve been put on and off that I feel every little drop. 

You’ve done really well, you’re down to 7mg, you’re not far behind me. 

Wishing you all all the best with your continued tapering.💚