Goosie: insomnia crisis

Goosie

15 hours ago, Goosie said:

Thanks songbird I will do more of that.  Today is a bit better.  It seems I sleep every other night.... I’ve had this happen often before.    @dj2010  did you find that some turmeric was excitatory or only the one with piperizine?     I have a lot of headaches and sinus issues so I was thinking the turmeric might help.   I am so glad you are a success story.  

hi goosie, turmeric really helped a lot during most of my taper and withdrawal, I was using just plain turmeric capsules without piperine most of the time, had to stop though when my acid reflux got bad, going to try and start taking them again soon, been dealing with a bit of acid reflux again over this last week as ate really spicy food a couple days on row last week and seems to have triggered it a bit again, 

take care

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Each capsule of the herbal mix contains: Passion flower 150 mg 

Lemon balm 100 mg

hops 100 mg

califirnia poppy 75 mg

valerian 75 mg

Theanine 50 mg

Lavender 20 mg

melatonin .25 mg

i will updise back to 75% of a pill.  

Zero sleep last night.    

Feel so suicidal.    

Thank you for the responses.   

May 2018:  1 dropper liquid marajuana

june 2018. Trazadone ambien 10 mg

july 2018 seroquel 37 mg ambien 2.5mg lex 5

October 2018 taper seroquel added hydroxizine 25 mg

nov ambien taper lex taper 

dec 2018 off of lex off of phenibut

October 2018- added a lot of supplements.  night: 3mg melatonin Passion flower tincture valerian tincture lavender magnesium glycinate liquid gaba herbal blend Theanine 450 mg tryptophan 1.5 grams 

May 2019. Down to the following at night 

4-6 mg hydroxizine. 250 mg tryptophan (1/2 pill).75 mg melatonin pill .75 herbal blend pill magnesium citrate 

Feb 2020:Off all supplements and pills.

It’s called sleep aide by vital nutrients.  The dose is 3 capsules.   I’ve been taking 1 and trying to taper that one.    

October 2018- added a lot of supplements.  night: 3mg melatonin Passion flower tincture valerian tincture lavender magnesium glycinate liquid gaba herbal blend Theanine 450 mg tryptophan 1.5 grams 

4-6 mg hydroxizine. 250 mg tryptophan (1/2 pill).75 mg melatonin pill .75 herbal blend pill magnesium citrate 

24 minutes ago, Goosie said:

Each capsule of the herbal mix contains: Passion flower 150 mg 

Lemon balm 100 mg

hops 100 mg

califirnia poppy 75 mg

valerian 75 mg

Theanine 50 mg

Lavender 20 mg

melatonin .25 mg

i will updise back to 75% of a pill.  

Zero sleep last night.    

Feel so suicidal.    

Thank you for the responses.   

I am not surprised you got zero sleep taking that supplement, we do not tolerate supplements very good in withdrawal, I tried many and 95% of them worsened my insomnia, I can now tolerate most supplements now my nervous system is not as sensitive,

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• Moderator Emeritus
24 minutes ago, dj2010 said:

I am not surprised you got zero sleep taking that supplement, we do not tolerate supplements very good in withdrawal, I tried many and 95% of them worsened my insomnia, I can now tolerate most supplements now my nervous system is not as sensitive,

DJ,

We appreciate you’re trying to help but Goosie appears to be having such bad insomnia due to a reduction of this supplement. Although many people report being sensitive to supplements during withdrawal or whilst using psychiatric drugs, everybody is different and in this case it appears less of the supplement is making things worse. 

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

52 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

DJ,

We appreciate you’re trying to help but Goosie appears to be having such bad insomnia due to a reduction of this supplement. Although many people report being sensitive to supplements during withdrawal or whilst using psychiatric drugs, everybody is different and in this case it appears less of the supplement is making things worse. 

Apologies I should of read through goosies thread before making a comment

One other thing is that I’ve been on this herbal blend, along with melatonin for 8 months- since I was forced to take it at inpatient.    They put me on hydroxizine and phenibut too, but I CT the phenibut and am down to 4-6 mg of the hydroxizine.   I don’t know if the melatonin and the herbal blend are just not working anymore and I am going going into withdrawal from that. I tried to taper down everything but there were just so many things and I was barely stable as it was..... I’m so sorry for this mess.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Goosie, are you taking an additional melatonin tablet in addition to the melatonin that is in your herbal supplement pill? If so, please list the dose. 

So we don't bombard you with repeated questions, please add your supplements to your signature, along with your current dose. Please also add the dates and dose when you started them. A direct link to your signature is here:

Account - Settings - Create or Edit Your Signature

Please let us know how you slept after going back up on the herbal supplement dose. 

Hi shep yes, I take another melatonin.   About 75% of a 1 mg tablet from Douglas laboratories.  I will update my signature like you ask.    I was put on buckets of supplements at inpatient (Atmc).      

I slept ok last night.   I seem to be sleeping every other night so we will see how tonight goes after the updose of the herbal blend.    

This is what sleep looks like for me:  I take the melatonin and tryptophan  , magnesium.   30 minutes later the hydroxizine and herbal blend.    I start to feel sleepy and start to go to sleep.   I never actually fall asleep at this time.  I can literally feel the sleepy feeling ebbing away.     I then meditate.   If I am lucky I fall asleep in 1-2 hours.     Ok nights I fall asleep in 3-4 hours.  Bad nights not at all.    If I fall asleep I sleep for 3-4 hours.   I sometimes get some half sleep after that where I am half asleep half awake.     

Thanks si much for checking in on me.  

Hope my new signature isn’t too confusing.   I ran out of lines.    

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Goosie, your signature looks great.

17 hours ago, Goosie said:

I slept ok last night.   I seem to be sleeping every other night so we will see how tonight goes after the updose of the herbal blend.    

I'm so glad to read you started sleeping again. I hope the updose continues to be effective. 

The every-other-night is a classic phenomenon seen all over the benzo forums, so you may be dealing with a lot of GABA dysregulation.  

Please hold everything steady and give your nervous system time to settle down from these latest changes.

Let us know how you're doing over the coming days. 

Hi shep.  Thanks for the message.   So last night I was able to get some light sleep.   This is a big improvement.  Last night was the “ no sleep” night in the cycle.  It didn’t feel like I slept but I know I did because my partner told me so. I fell asleep around 3 after going to bed at 11.    Woke at 6 , and then had a little more light sleep.   It felt like I was awake but then I remember some strange thoughts that I wouldn’t have had unless I was partially asleep.

All in all I am thrilled.   I feel like the cycle is breaking.   Thank you so much for your support.  

I also saw that sleeping every other night appears in the benzo forums.   I just started looking at them.   I had the cycling pretty bad last July and my shrink told me I had bipolar.    He said he had never heard of anyone sleeping every other night and the only solution was lithium.     I  tried the lithium but got terrible headaches so didn’t continue it.   The headaches continued so they were probably from the seroquel ambien or lack of sleep.    I am starting to wonder if all of this is gaba disregulation ad you say.   If it is I guess I have a long road ahead.    

It it is beautiful day today.   I feel well enough to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.    I think I can make it through today without crying fits.  💕💕💕💕💕💕

• Mentor

Excellent news Goosie!

R

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

Thanks @RichT!!!! Sending love

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a good idea to document your good sleep/days either in posts here, or personally so that you can refer back to them for encouragement.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you @ChessieCat I will do that.    💕💕💕

Still hangin in there.  3 hours of light sleep from 5amto 8.   

Still doing well.  Will try to be stable for a week before resuming any taper.   

• Moderator Emeritus

Goosie, how much were you sleeping prior to this last insomnia wave from reducing the herbal supplement? Was it more sleep than what you are currently getting?

If so, you may want to hold a bit longer and see if you can reach more stability with your sleep.

Please post your thoughts. Your last sleep update was only 3 hours, and I'm concerned if you start tapering again, it could get worse. 

Hi @Shep    Thanks for the message.   Before the wave in my previous window I was sleeping in two installments.   Sleep 1 was about 3 hours and would start anywhere from  2 am to 6 am.    After that I would get some light sleep which didn’t feel like sleep for 1 - 3 hours.    I would go to bed by 11 so it took many hours to fall asleep.  I take the melatonin at 10, it makes me sleepy- I start to fall asleep, but never get there and end up more awake than before the melatonin.   

for the past two nights sleep has been better.   I fall asleep within an hour after “waking” from the melatonin and sleep for about 5 hours.   At this point I just get up.    So no second sleep.   This is the best sleep I’ve had in months.  Of course it’s only been two days- so it definitely not a trend yet.    I was for sure going to wait a little bit before tapering again.   How long do you think I should wait?    My one concern is that the melatonin will poop out on me.  It’s definitely making me sleepy when I take it now.   

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to hear you've had a couple of better nights! 

I think it's unlikely that melatonin will poop out on you.  If it ends up making you feel more awake, that's a paradoxical reaction, which could be because you may be taking too much.  For example, I found up to 1mg helped me sleep, but 2mg had a paradoxical effect.  See: Melatonin for sleep

As for how long to hold for, I wouldn't put a time limit on it, but see how you feel over time.  Ideally you would get really nice and stable before recommencing a taper.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi @Songbird  thanks for the message.   I was wondering if you might share with me how long you took melatonin?   

When say 2 mg had a paradoxical effect did it make you sleepy before being activating or was it activating right when you took it?

thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Goosie said:

I was wondering if you might share with me how long you took melatonin?   

When say 2 mg had a paradoxical effect did it make you sleepy before being activating or was it activating right when you took it?

I've taken melatonin off and on for years.  If I'm having a "bad patch" I use it for a while until things settle down.  It doesn't really make me feel noticeably sleepy, just allows me to go to sleep.  When I took too much, it made me feel more awake than before, so I couldn't get to sleep.  Melatonin dosing is very individual.  Your dose doesn't look very big, but you're also taking other sleep aids around the same time.

If you're still getting quite good sleep for now, I wouldn't change anything at this time.  See how it goes, and keep us updated.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

• 2 weeks later...

Still stable - what a gift.   I think I will hold for two more weeks and then drop ~10% on the herbal blend.   From 70%to 60% of a pill.   I know it’s a little more than 10% but hopefully will be ok.     

Sadly my dog just got diagnosed with cancer.    😕

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good news, Goosie.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Hi Goosie,

read yr intro,

read about yr sleep problem

🙂🙂its good that the sleep cycle  is breaking and you got some sleep.

which melatonin brand you use?

keep walking

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Thanks @Songbird and @Miko789 for the positive posts.   I use Douglas melatonin- it dissolves under the tongue and definitely has a sleepy effect on me.   

Hello. Can anyone recommend a dr in the San Diego area that is familiar with withdrawl?   My current dr just said he doesn’t believe I have an illness.    Thanks!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

You don't need a doctor who is familiar with withdrawal and tapering.  You just need a doctor who is willing to write the scripts you need for your drugs and tapering.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I would like a dr that can help me with the disability forms as I have been unable to work for a year and it looks like I will not be well enough to work for a while.    

Hi I see that you took natural herbs and Gabba ,did these help you?I am planning on taking same herbs and supplemnts when i taper off celexa.

2008-2018 20mg celexa

2018 April  tapered 15ml, April 15 10mg,May 1st 5 mg, May 15 0mg

2018 July1st 10mg -July 15 20mg

Sept 2018 celexa 10mg Sept 15 20mg

Sept 2018 -tapered -15 Oct 2018 tapered 10mg

Nov 2018 tapered 05 mg-Dec 2018 tapered 0mg

Mar 3 -2019 ativan 1mg .March 18-2019 stopped ativan

March 06 2019 celexa 10mg March 20-2019 celexa 20mg

April-2019 15mg

May 2019 10mg

HI @Adriane  I was in a really bad state so it’s hard to say if the herbs helped.  I do think they would help a “healthier” person.   However, now after being on them for 8 months I am having a hard time stopping them.    Good luck with your taper!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Goosie said:

I would like a dr that can help me with the disability forms as I have been unable to work for a year and it looks like I will not be well enough to work for a while.    

That makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.  Have you posted in the relevant topic here?  And I suggest that you put the reason too. 

"Check in" topics: SurvivingAntidepressant.org members near you

• Moderator Emeritus

Goosie, you may want to also check out the MiA site's provider directory.

Mad in America Provider Directory - California

I'm not familiar with California to know if any of these are close to your city or not, but might be worth checking out. Some do Skype consults, so you may be able to find someone that's far away, but would still work with you. 

There are some doctors listed in California here on SA: 

Recommended Doctors

Thanks @Shep and @ChessieCat  this is really helpful!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone.   I kept all supplements /meds the same for 1 month and then went down from 70% to 60% of the herbal blend.   It has been a week and I am still stable.  

I have a bad night about twice a week where it takes me 6 hours to fall asleep, but the other nights I fall asleep within 2 hours and sleep for 4-5 hours.   It’s far from perfect and I am still chronically tired but this is a huge improvement.    

I have decided to try grounding sheets.    Has anyone else tried them? What do you think?  

My my main plan of action is to get as much sun and fresh air as possible and to spend at least a few hours each day at the beach.   I am lucky that I can easily drive to the beach.   

I hope you are all finding joy each day.  

I’ll let you know how the grounding sheets work out for me