Goosie: insomnia crisis

Goosie

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Goosie said:

I have decided to try grounding sheets.    Has anyone else tried them? What do you think?  

Did a search and found this (JustwantmyShaneback's topic😞

On 6/20/2018 at 10:43 PM, JustwantmyShaneback said:

I thought to share a little more about Grounding and Earthing Mats as I recently purchased the mats and an Orgone Geo Cleanse wall plug in to support Shane’s tapering. I have to say how amazed we are as these have only been used since last Thursday 15/06/18. I am already seeing a miraculous change in Shane despite still slowly tapering... please look into it if you are as desperate as I was. xo

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I also did a search and found that entry..... but things go south a few posts later.    I was surprised that there weren’t more posts regarding grounding on SA.    Maybe it’s too woo woo.   

May 2018:  1 dropper liquid marajuana

june 2018. Trazadone ambien 10 mg

july 2018 seroquel 37 mg ambien 2.5mg lex 5

October 2018 taper seroquel added hydroxizine 25 mg

nov ambien taper lex taper 

dec 2018 off of lex off of phenibut

October 2018- added a lot of supplements.  night: 3mg melatonin Passion flower tincture valerian tincture lavender magnesium glycinate liquid gaba herbal blend Theanine 450 mg tryptophan 1.5 grams 

May 2019. Down to the following at night 

4-6 mg hydroxizine. 250 mg tryptophan (1/2 pill).75 mg melatonin pill .75 herbal blend pill magnesium citrate 

Feb 2020:Off all supplements and pills.

There hasn't been a lot of discussion of it lately, but it can be a very helpful thing to do.  We do emphasis getting out in nature when ever possible, gardening, and walking barefoot on the grass. Just about anything to "get back to nature" is helpful. I find spraying water on my eye and forehead after a shower to be very relaxing, helps relax the third eye in woo woo terms.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks @brassmonkey      I found when I got sick I was instinctively drawn to nature.   It’s amazing how the body knows how to heal itself.   

October 2018- added a lot of supplements.  night: 3mg melatonin Passion flower tincture valerian tincture lavender magnesium glycinate liquid gaba herbal blend Theanine 450 mg tryptophan 1.5 grams 

4-6 mg hydroxizine. 250 mg tryptophan (1/2 pill).75 mg melatonin pill .75 herbal blend pill magnesium citrate 

• Moderator Emeritus

There are links in the first post of this topic:  non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms

JanCarol is "into" the sort of things that you mention.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hello everyone.  I had a root canal yesterday and was given ibuprofen.    I expected to sleep fine ( withdrawl fine) as I was no longer worried about solving the tooth pain and also the tooth pain was reduced.   Despite being positive and relaxed, I was wide awake all night.  I have read all morning the threads that talk about ibuprofen but couldn’t find any information on it being connected to insomnia.    I am no longer taking it.   Do you think my sleep will stabilize now that I am not taking it or will I be thrown into another wave?   

• Moderator Emeritus

It may have been from the injection.

Hi @ChessieCat  do you mean the novacaine injection? Had this happened to anyone else?  

• Moderator Emeritus

You may have had an injection that contains adrenaline.  I had root canal treatment yesterday too and I had an injection which does not contain adrenaline and I noticed a huge difference in my ability to remain calm.

This might help you to understand how the adrenaline might have affected your sleep:

https://www.healthline.com/health/adrenaline-rush

• Moderator Emeritus

thanks for the info- I did start to shake pretty bad after the injection, so it might have had epinephrine in it.  I pray to stabilize again.  God bless.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Goosie said:

I did start to shake pretty bad after the injection

Yes, that would have been the adrenaline.  That's what happened to me and then I would spend all the procedure trying to settle myself down.

I used to think it was just my reaction to having the injection, not what the injection contained.

That’s exactly what I thought! I was like wow I must have been really scared of the injection to be shaking like this!!!!!   Lol.     I do have good news- last night I slept pretty well ( for me). So I might get to avoid a wave.  Thank you so much for the info.    

• 2 months later...

Hi Goosie 

I hope your tooth healed and you got over the disruption of dental treatment. 

Can I ask how did the grounding sheet go? Any help? Thinking of getting one for cortisol surges during the night. 

Take care of You Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Hi @Katy398   Thanks for checking in.     The two teeth I had root canals done on continued to give me a lot of pain.  I got a mouth guard and that helped a lot with the pain.   My dentist thinks the teeth were cracked and I was cracking them more by biting.    Now the plan is to wear the nightguard for a few months and see if the cracks heal.    I wear it during the day as well.  

I was was doing pretty well getting over the debilitating insomnia, but I unfortunately went right back in to a wave last night.   Last night was my first 0 sleep night since getting the grounding sheets a few months ago.    

I would definitely recommend the sheets- I used to have horrible 0 sleep nights more frequently before the sheets- of course I could just be healing.   

My dog died of cancer this week and I think the stress of that was too much for my fragile nervous system.    I am praying that the wave doesn’t last too long.    The thought of going through that hell again had me sobbing all morning.   I pray for us all.    

As quick update on meds- I am down to:

.4 mg melatonin

40% of an herbal sleepaide with passionflower and valerian.    That’s about 30 mg valerian and 70mg passionflower.   

2 mg hydroxizine.   

50mg magnesium citrate

250 mg tryptophan.   

I was was hoping to jump off the hydroxizine  completely next- but my recent wave makes we think I should stabilize before doing anything.   

Oh Goosie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog and about tooth suffering. The trying times in life become so momentous whilst going through WD. My heart goes out to you.

I’m seriously thinking of getting a grounding mat. My cortisol surges at dawn are debilitating I have started every day for 8 months in utter terror. I just want it to end. Im not sure I’ll be strong enough to do this for years on end like so many others. 

Take care Goosie 

Thank you Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Thank you @Katy398 for the kind words.  They mean so much to me during these difficult times.    I also know what you mean about feeling not as strong as some others on this site- there are those that have conquered so much worse than me yet I feel unable to cope and often beg to die.     Everyone here is a hero and I admire you all. 💕💕💕💕

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Katy398 and @Goosie things will improve for you both soon. It may seem bleak and the suffering is so very real, but we all heal. The brain has amazing neuroplasticity and will heal, but it simply takes time. In the mean time, support yourself with the best tools you have, and keep your mind in the real world rather than on this site.

I am a nature lover but became so much more drawn to plants, sunshine and gardening, during my withdrawal and stabilization. I think this process really brings you closer to what matters in life. It is a brutal process and a disabling one, but take heart in knowing you are not alone and others have walked through your path and have healed.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

Thank you for the beautiful post @composter 

• Moderator Emeritus

Of course @Goosie, happy to provide some encouragement. You will get through this, and it may be the hardest thing you will ever have to deal with, but you will do it.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

Thank you so much @composter, @Goosie  is right, it was a beautiful post. Words of encouragement and support help sooo much, they are the golden beams  of hope that guide us through the dense, dark fog of withdrawal. 

After I read it I went back to thinking yes other’s have healed as we too will heal.  I am filled with gratitude for the ongoing support SA brings.

Thank you @composter take care Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Goosie,

How are you, just checking on you. Had any windows recently? I think we should try and talk about windows they’re what keep us going I think. 

Take care Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Hi @Katy398 thanks for checking in.   I totally agree it is good to write posts when we are in windows!   I am having a pretty good window- the best since I got sick.    The weather has been in the nineties (in October!) and I have been taking a dip in the ocean every day.   It is amazing.    I have noticed I can prolong my windows by being sure to rest most of the afternoon, even if I feel like I could do something more energetic.  This helps prevent a  “crash” around 7 pm.   
we got a new rescue dog so that has been fun too.  I am also well enough to feel love for my kitty cats- so I am enjoying snuggling with the putty fur balls.     For a long time I could feel no emotions so this is a welcome change.    
how are you doing?

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone.  I haven’t posted in a while- I’ve been steadily improving up until a week ago.    A week ago I missed my period and I’ve not been able to sleep since.    I am 43. Has anyone gone through protracted withdrawal during menopause?   Does sleep return after menopause?   I had been sleeping ok for about a year after two years of insomnia hell.   I will of course search this site for menopause threads but wanted to see if anyone had any advice.   I was getting ready to write a success story- hopefully one day I’ll be able to write it.   

Hey Goosie, 

so interesting you brought this up because I’ve been wondering if maybe my insomnia is perimenopause related and unrelated to meds. I recently joined a perimenopause forum to learn more about symptoms associated with it, and low and behold insomnia was a top symptom. Many women sleeping on average of 3-4hrs for years. Never touched a med in their life. Insomnia is complicated and complex and I’ve learned there are so so many different reasons for why one could have it other than med reactions or withdrawal. It’s worth getting your hormones checked on day 3 of your cycle and do it multiple times because it can fluctuate during the perimenopause period. Menopause is when you’ve missed your cycle for a year. Your probably not there yet given you’ve just missed one, but likely in perimenopause. 

Hi @Jen1234  thanks for the reply.  Can you give me the name of the forum you use?   I feel so miserable on this little sleep I don’t think I can last for long like this.    How are you doing? Has your insomnia lessened?   Is there something that the ladies on the forum do that has helped?  Does the insomnia ever go away?  

It’s a Facebook forum/group. It’s called perimenopause hub. I have an appt with my doc soon to check out what might be going on with me in that realm. My insomnia has not resolved at all. I have a feeling it’s not likely the cause of the insomnia for me, but worth ruling everything out as I have some changes that have happened since pregnancy 2.5 years ago. From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem to go away, but others have found success with hormone replacement therapy. I honestly don’t know much about it myself. Others go on...you guessed it... meds...

Thank you @Jen1234 for the information. It is really helpful.     I hope your insomnia resolves soon.  

@Jen1234  I’m so desperate.   After a week of insomnia with 0 hours last night I am suicidal.   My whole body feels like it is on fire and my heart is beating loud and fast.   I think it’s akathesia.   Do you get this way when you don’t sleep?   How can I hope to fall asleep when my body is seething in pain?   How did you survive a year of this?    I don’t think I’m strong like you.    Don’t know how to continue.   So desperate.     

Hey Goosie,

I’m so sorry you’re in such pain right now. My body also gets that burning feeling when the anxiety is high. I feel it in my chest and it travels down my arms. Sleep deprivation always amplified the anxiety tenfold and the more we fear it the worse it gets. It’s likely not akathisia based on what you’re describing, but more likely the effects of intense anxiety. You will get through this because you have already done it before. Other than missing your period recently have there been any other potential triggers? Stressful life events/new diet/supplements? Health anxiety? Keep in mind if it’s hormonal related then there’s good potential you can get some relief at different points of your cycle. Have you been able to book an appt with a gynecologist yet? They may refer you on to a reproductive endocrinologist and depending on their recommendations they may be able to help you sleep better. So there’s hope! Sometimes reminding myself that there’s more to explore and the potential for hope and recovery on the horizon gets me out of the “is this my life forever now?!” panic mode. You’ve had tons of wonderful coping strategies in the past (beach, swinging, swimming) that you’ve implemented in the past. Pull from those tools as best you can. This is temporary I’m sure and you’ll make it through. You had zero hours last night. Typically a better night always follows a zero night so look forward to a better night and day tomorrow. You’re gonna be ok! Our sleep deprivation thoughts are not our real thoughts.  

Hi, Sorry to hear you are having such troubles. Maybe combined with withdrawals and period physiological irregularities your mind started having a stress reaction to not having a period? It seems you are not just not sleeping but also unable to relax your mind and body and rest. Maybe it helps to talk to people who are going through the same or just to family can be calming (if you are lucky). And if you notice thoughts are anxious, stressing, scary or similar try to jump off that thought to some calm thought every time. I might be completely off but just some thoughts that could help a few % maybe. If you are really suicidal a consultation with a doctor to maybe get a sleeping medicine for a one nights relief to maybe wake up more relaxed and sleep capable the next day is the better option if you can manage that and try without them locking you up long term for surveillance and polydrugging if that is not what you need which I wouldn't think. No medical advice.

A week of oxazepam 10mg with 1 day of zopiclone 7.5mg and concurrent Zyprexa totalling: 10mg 25 days , 7.5mg 18 days, 5mg 14 days, 2.5mg 11 days,  10x0mg + 4x1mg. Very bad condition reinstated: zyprexa 7.5mg zopiclone 8.5mg, 25mg Propiomazine. Next day 5mg Z. Then 6 months taper to nothing but Zyprexa and 0.0mg again. 6 days 0mg. Reinstated 0.12mg x2 days. 23 june: 0.25mg. 29 june: 0.12mg. 8th and 9th july 2020 also tried 0.375mg Melatonin. 9 july 0.16mg. Made an error of judgement in august and was forced on various drugs in hospital mainly landing on: Abilify injections + pills for a daily total of 5-15 mg (for 2½ month) + zyprexa 3 days of 10mg mostly 2.5mg but started cheating. 14 oct 2020 only zyprexa and due to cheating earlier able to go 0.31mg! 30 oct 0.21mg, 13 nov 0.14mg, 28 nov 0.10mg, 14 dec 0.07mg, 04 jan 2021 0.035mg, 25 jan 0.017mg, 4 feb 2021 0.000 mg

Thank you @hopela and @Jen1234 for the messages.   The physical pain and tension I am describing doesn’t seem to be normal anxiety as it is unrelated to personal relationships.     Someone being nice or mean has no effect.  It seems directly related to the insomnia itself.  For example I just managed a nap and now the pain is gone.   I’m sure it will come back as only a regular night makes it go for the whole day.

I am a bit stumped as I have read so many insomnia threads and people don’t seem to describe the unrelenting pain/ pressure.   The closest thing I could find was akathesia but based on your comments maybe it’s not that.    I remained calm all throughout last night- but with the shakes and fire feeling I just couldn’t get to sleep.  
I think this episode was triggered by stress- but stress for me is quite strange.  I spent more time than usual on a project I enjoyed, leading me to feel more exhausted than usual.   This is enough “ stress” to trigger a bad night and I guess with the period irregularities it is now a bad spell.  
I am so fragile- already out of work and completely disabled for three years.    
I agree I need to find a dr and discuss options.   It is so hard to know what to do.   Thank you for your kind words.   You are a life line.    

So one more thing- I think what I am feeling is sky high cortisol.   When I had it checked (the last time I felt like this )two of the 4 points were significantly off the chart.    I can’t get these levels to budge with normal relaxation techniques.    Does anyone know how to help this? I feel like I’m stuck in a loop.    The insomnia causes the cortisol to skyrocket,  which causes insomnia.   When this started three years ago I used drugs to sleep- they only worked occasionally and then I had all the awful drug effects.     But what is the alternative?   Wait until my body has no more cortisol left?   Sorry to be so desperate.   You would think after 3 years if this I would have more of a clue.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Down to the following at night 

4-6 mg hydroxizine. 250 mg tryptophan (1/2 pill)

.75 mg melatonin pill .75 herbal blend pill magnesium citrate 

Goosie, this is in your signature. Is this what you're currently taking? 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:30 AM, Goosie said:

Each capsule of the herbal mix contains: Passion flower 150 mg 

Lemon balm 100 mg

hops 100 mg

califirnia poppy 75 mg

valerian 75 mg

Theanine 50 mg

Lavender 20 mg

melatonin .25 mg

Are you still taking this herbal mix? 

Please update us more on what you're taking now and have come off of since you were last here in 2019. If you need to update your signature, you can do so here:

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

18 hours ago, Goosie said:

So one more thing- I think what I am feeling is sky high cortisol.   When I had it checked (the last time I felt like this )two of the 4 points were significantly off the chart.    I can’t get these levels to budge with normal relaxation techniques.    Does anyone know how to help this? I feel like I’m stuck in a loop.    The insomnia causes the cortisol to skyrocket,  which causes insomnia.   When this started three years ago I used drugs to sleep- they only worked occasionally and then I had all the awful drug effects.     But what is the alternative?   Wait until my body has no more cortisol left?   Sorry to be so desperate.   You would think after 3 years if this I would have more of a clue.  

Hey Goosie,

There are cortisol reducing adaptogens that may help with lowering cortisol. If you do a quick google search you can find many products for this. However I would imagine if the high cortisol is in response to stress and anxiety due to worried thoughts about insomnia or other related issues then it may not have a huge effect. Perhaps worth considering though.