RickyC: Luvox turned my natural lean muscle tone into fat

RickyC

Topic title:  Luvox turned my natural lean muscle tone into fat and its not getting better :( (with photos)

Hello friends,

I’m a 35 year old male who started taking Luvox (Fluvoxamine) to treat my anxiety and depression in early December 2018. I took one 50mg tablet a day for just a month before stopping.

Although I could definitely feel the treatment was helping my mood, I noticed that the composition of my body began to change quickly. I began to lose my naturally lean muscle in my arms and chest and grow a layer of fat (giving me a man boob look). My stomach muscles also became incredibly soft and lost all their natural tone. It actually seemed like all of the muscles in my body softened considerably in just a matter of weeks.

I did not make any modifications to my diet or exercise habits during this period, leading me to believe that these changes can only be attributed to this medication. Also, rather than putting on weight (which was what I was initially concerned about), I have lost several kilograms. I assume this is because I have lost muscle mass but I cannot be sure.

I was worried that this medication may have affected my hormone levels (mainly my testosterone), but all my tests have apparently come back normal. My doctor is perplexed at what has happened to my body in such a small space of time as there is no mention of muscle deterioration in the listed side effects. I am thinking to go and get my estrogen and thyroid T3 levels checked too through another doctor as I don’t believe these were tested previously.

It has now been 2 and a half months since I have stopped this medication, and despite my regular cardiovascular exercise, weight training and healthy eating the problem has not resolved. My weight also appears to very stubborn and seemingly won’t budge no matter how much I eat or how much exercise.

I feel very self-conscious about what has happened to my body (particularly my chest) and feel even worse than I did before starting the medication. I worry that my body composition may have now permanently changed or will at least remain in such a state for a long time.

Has anyone experienced or come across anything like I have described? If so, what more can I do to try and recover from this?

Thank you

**The first picture is a few months before I started Luvox (around September 2018).

**The second picture is a few weeks after stopping Luvox (January 2019) and my condition is still more less like this now

:(

1618655490_beforeLuvox.jpeg.f74cdb4e8f448b32ee26d04795f60306.jpeg730299268_AfterLuvox.jpeg.7ea0c9820001f3bc87c641a61f21f826.jpeg

Ricky

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font
  • ChessieCat changed the title to RickyC: Luvox turned my natural lean muscle tone into fat
  • Moderator Emeritus

Research:

From http://www.drugsdb.com/blog/drugs-that-can-cause-gynecomastia.html

Certain psychiatric medications

Certain antipsychotics, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety medications cause gynecomastia, although the mechanisms are not certain.

Antipsychotics block dopamine, that famous neurotransmitter involved in regulating the brain's reward and pleasure centers. Dopamine also plays an important role in sexual function.  It is already believed that by blocking the dopamine, the antipsychotics are responsible for a decrease in sex drive. At one and the same time, though, they lead to increased prolactin from the pituitary, which, again, leads to breast development.

Particular offenders in increasing prolactin levels are older antipsychotic haloperidol (Haldol) and new atypical antipsychotic risperidone (Risperdal), while most of the other second-generation antipsychotics (Seroquel, Abilify, Clozaril, Geodon) have a smaller effect.

Tricyclic antidepressants, more in fashion before the Prozac heralded the arrival of the SSRIs, can also cause male breast growth. It is believed that they, too, stimulate prolactin production.

Even anti-anxiety medications, particularly diazepam (best known as Valium) pose a risk factor. Gynecomastia is believed to result from a change in the balance between testosterone and estrogen hormone, although in many incidences the exact mechanism stimulating this imbalance are unclear (Jelenkovic & Macukanovic-Golubovic 2005). (See also Moerck & Magelund 1979, Bergman et al 1981, Llop 1994.)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, Ricky.

It seems you must be extraordinarily sensitive to some action of Luvox. As ChessieCat referenced, such changes are a known side effect of psychiatric drugs.

You may do some research into antidepressant-induced gynecomastia and let us know what you find, in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

For what it's worth, yours is not particularly pronounced.

Other than that, how do you feel after going off Luvox?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your reply. I will do some further research into antidepressant-induced gynecomastia as you suggested.

My doctor examined me and does not believe that I actually have true gynecomastia, but have rather just accumulated some fat and lost muscle all over my body. Could it still be considered gynemcomastia even if all my hormones are normal? My testosterone and prolactin levels are at normal  levels (however I am still waiting to find out about my estrogen which I got tested for today with another doctor).

After coming of Luvox my anxiety actually still seems to a bit better than before I started, but I have become far more depressed and extremely self conscious about what has happened to my body. I am now far too afraid to try any other anti depressant.

Do you think that this will all sort itself out in time and that I will return to normal? It seems awful to think that I may require surgery.

• Administrator

We don't have any experts in gynecomastia here. There are doctors who are more specialized in it, you may wish to start enquiries with endocrinologists.

In general, it would be best for you if you managed your anxiety while pursuing treatment, or you could exacerbate any underlying withdrawal condition. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ricky,

I suffered from gynecomastia as a teenager, and it usually has some tell tale signs.

Do you have pain or sensitivity in your nipples? Are there any new growths behind the nipple? You can check this very easily by gently pressing each nipple down with two fingers and feeling what’s underneath. If you feel a very small non-painful lump, that’s just the mammary gland. If there are solid, large (and potentially tender) lumps then I would be concerned. 

Your pictures don’t show a huge degree of change. It’s possible you have gained a little fat tissue around the area, but hopefully this should stop and even reverse in due course. I can imagine that if you’re no longer taking the drug and you have normal blood work, any doctor or endocrinologist will try and brush you off. 

Edited by eymen23

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

3 hours ago, eymen23 said:

Ricky,

I suffered from gynecomastia as a teenager, and it usually has some tell tale signs.

Do you have pain or sensitivity in your nipples? Are there any new growths behind the nipple? You can check this very easily by gently pressing each nipple down with two fingers and feeling what’s underneath. If you feel a very small non-painful lump, that’s just the mammary gland. If there are solid, large (and potentially tender) lumps then I would be concerned. 

Your pictures don’t show a huge degree of change. It’s possible you have gained a little fat tissue around the area, but hopefully this should stop and even reverse in due course. I can imagine that if you’re no longer taking the drug and you have normal blood work, any doctor or endocrinologist will try and brush you off. 

Thanks for the reply eyman. I pressed my nipples with two fingers as you said and can only feel 2 small non-painful lumps. There is no large lumps, pain or tenderness.Do you think that this would suggest that I don't have true gynecomastia? (My doctor doesn't think I do). I believe it is more likely fatty tissue and softening of the muscles as I seem to have the same problems in my arms, legs and stomach, but none of it seems to be improving almost 3 months after stopping the drug.

I'm thinking to see a endocrinologist now, even though I know I may get brushed off as you say. The problem does not appear to be getting better on its own and its very upsetting. 

• 4 weeks later...

So after having further blood work done and being examined my an endocrinologist (including having an ultrasound on my chest) the conclusion is that I do not have gynecomastia (man boobs), but apparently just have normal levels of fatty tissue in my chest. This finding seems bizarre to me as I definitely feel and look very bulky up there compared to before I started the meds, and my arms are much bigger too. The endocrinologist told me that if these changes are a result of taking the drug (which they definitely are) then they may or may not resolve in time. I am have been doing vigorous exercise almost every day and nothing really seems to be resolving except my muscles (or what I have left of them) appear a little bit firmer. I don't think there is really much left I can do other than to wait and hope for the best. Sigh