Momof31979: suffering from Prozac withdrawal

Momof31979

Hello, I am new to the board. I am a 39 year old female, about a month completely off Prozac after taking 20 mg off and on (mostly on) for 20 years. I tapered at the advice of my doctor way too quickly (know that now, wish I knew it then!) over a 2 month period and have been suffering myraid symptoms over the past month that come and go:

- headache

- dizziness/lightheadedness

- brain fog/memory issues

- blurred vision

- fatigue

- irritability/mood swings

I am taking Omega-3 and b-complex vitamins, also started using a CES machine this week, which I definitely feel like has helped with the emotional symptoms and maybe even some of the physical symptoms.

The symptoms that are really persisting and making it difficult to function at work and home is the dizziness, headache and brain fog. I am even considering reinstating a small dose of prozac (say, 5 mg?) and tapering super slowly off that (5-10% every 4-6 weeks) as long as it takes to do it and allow my brain to adjust without all these terrible symptoms. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of advice? Would you recommend reinstatement or should I tough it out cause I have gotten this far? I know reinstatement doesn't work for everyone too, which makes me nervous. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by Shep
added new username to title

On and off Prozac 20 mg since 1999

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Tapered over 2 months February-March 2019 to 0 mg 

Have had bad WD over the last month - headaches,, dizziness, brain fog, memory problems

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

Reinstated at 10 mg 4/25/19

• ChessieCat changed the title to REAL NAME?: suffering from Prozac withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Momof3, 

Welcome to SA. I’m sorry you’re going withdrawals. Yes, tapering 20mg over 2 months is certainly too quick. 

The last time you were on 20mg of Prozac, when did you start it again? Did you start it at 20mg?

What date did you come off the Prozac recently?

Could you please go to the Read This First forum and to the “ Please Put Your Withdrawal History In Your Signature” thread and fill out your signature. Thanks a lot.

I see you’re on B vitamins. It’s not really advisable to take B vitamins when going through withdrawals, they can stimulate your system. 

Once you’ve answered the above questions I’ll see what the other mods think about the amount best to reinstate, if you decide to do so. 

What would you like your username on your page to be?

Please let let us know how you’re doing, sending hugs🤗

Edited by ChessieCat
changed member name

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi, thank you! you can make my username Momof31979 - is that ok?

Last time I went on Prozac was 5 years ago after being off for about 3 months and yes, I went right back on 20 mg.

I actually caved and took 5 mg last night, I couldn't take it anymore. Do you think 5 mg is enough to ease the withdrawal symptoms and stabilize me so I can start tapering very slowly in a month or two or would I be better off at 10 mg since it has only been a month since I was off it? At this point I am willing to try anything (even going all the way back up to 20 mg if I have to) in order to be able to do a super slow taper like I should have in the first place.

Thank you so much for your help! I will go fill out my signature now.

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Have had bad WD over the last month - headaches,, dizziness, brain fog, memory problems

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

Sorry last time I was off it was for about 5 months, not 3 months. My signature should be as accurate as I can get it, thank you.

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

• ChessieCat changed the title to NAME CHANGE REQUESTED: suffering from Prozac withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Momof31979 said:

I actually caved and took 5 mg last night, I couldn't take it anymore. Do you think 5 mg is enough to ease the withdrawal symptoms and stabilize me so I can start tapering very slowly in a month or two or would I be better off at 10 mg since it has only been a month since I was off it? At this point I am willing to try anything (even going all the way back up to 20 mg if I have to) in order to be able to do a super slow taper like I should have in the first place.

Choosing a reinstatement dose can be tricky, as some people find it doesn't work the same as before, or have adverse reactions.  Starting with a smaller dose can help to reduce the risk of adverse reaction.  If you've already reinstated 5mg, I wouldn't take any more than that for now.  How did your system react to the 5mg dose? Please have a good read of our reinstatement topic, especially the top post: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

I have been doing a lot of reading on supplements to assist with withdrawals and feeling confused. I read the information here too. I am currently taking omega-3 which seems to be consistently recommended but also b-complex was recommended online and someone here said that can be bad and make withdrawal symptoms worse. The others I have wondered about are GABA and l-theanine. Some say these are great to use while tapering to help with withdrawal and others say no. 

Does anyone have any good advice? I just reinstated after tapering too quickly to 0 and hoping to do a very very slow taper from here but also want to be ready for symptoms while I taper by supporting my nervous system and brain as best as possible. 

Thank you!

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

From what I gather, supplements are a mixed bag. For each and every one some people say they help, some say they get bad reactions.  The only ones that SA specifically recommends are fish oil and magnesium. You may find it helpful to insert the name of an individual supplement into the search function and click "titles only." Just about every supplement has it's own thread that you can follow and get plenty of anecdotal reactions.

Personally, I've tried l-theanine and GABA and can't say it made a lick of difference.

20+ years EffexorXR 150mg. and Lorazepam PRN <- I rarely took this and never developed a problem.
2017 (nov-dec?) -> Feb 2018 fast taper - flipped out in Feb. Reinstated with 75mg-150mg (?not sure) stabilized
2018 Feb Began year long taper - somehow made it to 50pellets, did fine
          Sept -  17 bbs <-- where I started keeping track
           Oct - 16 bbs, Nov - 15 bbs, Dec - 14 bbs
2019 Jan - 13bbs, Feb - 12bbs, Feb Had problems - found SA
           March 19 - 15bbs,  April 17 - 20bbs  <--Updosing

Supplements: Multivitamin,  Fish Oil, B Complex, Magnesium, GABA,  L-Theanine, Inositol

Low sugar/carb diet, plenty of exercise. Meditation
Blood test Results: High in Copper, Low in Zinc, Very high whole blood hystamines

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on this site.  You can use the site search function or, which I prefer, use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

I suggest you look for SA topics about each individual supplement.  Taking a complex means that it if you experience a worsening you won't know what caused it.  Many members find B6 activating.

Suggested search terms:

survivingantidepressants.org vitamins

survivingantidepressants.org GABA

survivingantidepressants.org theanine

It's also best to only make one change at a time:  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

As DogLover has mentioned SA only recommends two supplements:

Magnesium
Omega-3 Fish Oil

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you. Which magnesium is best and what dosage? 

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Momof31979, 

Just press on the magnesium link ChessieCat gave you. It mentions the different types of magnesium, and the best dosages to use. Magnesium glycinate seems to be quite absorbable. As mentioned in that link start off with a small dose of about 25mg and work your way up. 

I myself couldn’t tolerate magnesium, but a lot of people on here have found it beneficial. I haven’t tried magnesium oil or Epsom salts as yet though. I may one day, not sure as yet. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

I reinstated last Thursday and feeling better overall but still have a lingering headache that seems to surge within a couple hours of taking my dose in the morning and taper off throughout the day. wondering if it is because I am still adjusting to having the drug in my system again. Has anyone had better luck taking their dose at night? And if I decide to do this, how do I make the switch? I assume I skip tomorrow mornings dose and take it tomorrow night instead? Thanks.

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

I reinstated last Thursday, 4/25 at 10 mg after being off 20 mg for about a month. Most side effects went away except for bad, bad headache and a little dizziness. I decided to switch to taking it in the evening to see if that helped with side effects which were affecting my work and ability to take care of my kids so I skipped my morning dose today at 6 am with plans to take it this evening at 8pm. The thing is - I feel amazing! No headache, no dizziness, I feel like my old self for the first time in a long time.

Do you think this could mean that I reinstated at too high a dose? Should I try to go down to 5 mg when I take it tonight? Or take 10 tonight and see if I feel bad tomorrow and then I know and can go down to 5 tomorrow night? I hate to bounce around on dosage and nervous to change anything but I just can't help but feel so optimistic that I feel so good today and the only thing that has changed is that I didn't take the medication this morning. Since Prozac has a long half life, I assume there is less in my system today but not enough to cause withdrawals and could that mean I would tolerate a lower dosage better?

Thank you for your help, I am freaking out because I so want to feel better and I don't want this feeling to go away!!!

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

I also tried magnesium oil topically for the first time last night - is there any chance that is what helped? I am still going strong with almost no symptoms and it's almost noon. I can't believe it. I haven't been symptom free this long in a long time.

On in September 1999

Off October 2001

On August 2003

Off September 2013

On February 2014 

Taking Omega-3

using CES machine

On 5/1/2019 at 6:40 AM, Momof31979 said:

I reinstated last Thursday, 4/25 at 10 mg after being off 20 mg for about a month. Most side effects went away except for bad, bad headache and a little dizziness. I decided to switch to taking it in the evening to see if that helped with side effects which were affecting my work and ability to take care of my kids so I skipped my morning dose today at 6 am with plans to take it this evening at 8pm. The thing is - I feel amazing! No headache, no dizziness, I feel like my old self for the first time in a long time.

Do you think this could mean that I reinstated at too high a dose? Should I try to go down to 5 mg when I take it tonight? Or take 10 tonight and see if I feel bad tomorrow and then I know and can go down to 5 tomorrow night? I hate to bounce around on dosage and nervous to change anything but I just can't help but feel so optimistic that I feel so good today and the only thing that has changed is that I didn't take the medication this morning. Since Prozac has a long half life, I assume there is less in my system today but not enough to cause withdrawals and could that mean I would tolerate a lower dosage better?

Thank you for your help, I am freaking out because I so want to feel better and I don't want this feeling to go away!!!

I have similar questions about reinstatement 

Citalopram 2 mg

Clonazopam .25 mg

Lamotrigine 150 mg

• Administrator
On 5/1/2019 at 6:40 AM, Momof31979 said:

How do you feel today, Mom?

Please put your updates and questions in this topic, they can be overlooked in the other forums.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/27/2019 at 12:20 AM, Momof31979 said:

I actually caved and took 5 mg last night, I couldn't take it anymore.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:40 AM, Momof31979 said:

I reinstated last Thursday, 4/25 at 10 mg after being off 20 mg for about a month.

I'm confused - your previous posts say you reinstated at 5mg, now you're saying it was actually 10mg?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg