SteveT: Wants to taper AD

SteveT

Sigh...no offense taken. Where do I do the intro? This site is confusing (can't find the warning from 20 mins ago). The "Want to ask a question? Become a member" post above: the links don't work. I get a 404 error when I try to go to the Introductions area. My email is confirmed.

I absolutely do want to taper off. Have tried a dozen times. Always the same result...always have to get back to the SSRIs.

Non-admins on this site have always been helpful, that's why I came here. The admins and mods always scold me...guess I am just a jerk for not being able to taper.

• manymoretodays changed the title to SteveT: Wants to taper AD
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Steve and welcome aboard to your introduction,

Fill us in here with a bit more information about yourself and your history. 

And this will be your introduction to the community and other mods and administration.  This will be where you can ask questions specific to your situation and communicate with the mods and other members.

We can get you directed to a bit more information too, as we get to know you better.

I'm sorry you've felt scolded.  Not our intent.

Then, after introducing yourself.......please put your withdrawal history in a signature

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

I'll check out the links that didn't work tomorrow too!  Thanks for letting me know.  Done.

I think I got the broken links all fixed now SteveT.  Here's the link to How to use this site: Questions and Answers

(Some of the links get broken after overuse or software updates)

Please let us know if you find anymore.  Thanks.  B)

Edited by manymoretodays
additional

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks manymoretodays. I am 46 and have been depressed for about 12 years, just after the birth of twins (who tag team being awake 24/7). I started having sleeping issues right before they were born, but once they were born, I pretty much did not sleep more than 25 hours a week for a looong time. I started on Welbutrin about 8 years ago. That made sleep worse and then switched to Lexapro. I started drinking more to sleep, which of course, hurts the effectiveness of the SSRI, so I tried ramping up dosage. I had 2 herniated discs in my neck, so they put me on Cymbalta which didn't work and raised my Blood Pressure. Nothing really worked well. In 2013 I started taking Deplin 15 with the Lexapro 30 and it actually worked well. I tried Pristique which also raised my blood pressure. I am currently on Celexa 40mg. I have tried numerous times to taper down, but the depression and insomnia comes back. I stopped drinking 18+ months ago and that has helped a lot, but I still need the SSRIs. Now I can actually sleep, so I am afraid to taper down as it so easy for my sleep to be disrupted and then spiral downward.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Steve,

And oh wow......twins, now 12 year olds??!!  That's cool Steve.  I'm sure it's also a lot of parenting work as well.  And congrats on the drinking cessation too.

What time of day do you take the Celexa?  How have you attempted to taper before?

And yes, if the Deplin is working well for you, in combination with your AD........that's great.

And I'll post here some of the links that I post to most newcomers.  Most of them(the links) come from the Tapering Forum.  You can just look them over and read through, even if you don't feel like now is the time to taper. 

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, we generally recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose, with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal.  I'm glad to hear that you are sleeping better now.  It does sound like that may be the case now.  Hoping so.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your individual situation, tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.  It's also a good place to communicate with us all.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing