Smokeandmirrors22: citalopram freedom

Smokeandmirrors22

Hi all,

I've been struggling for 2 months now, completely unable to function and go to work. I had been on citalopram 20 mg for 6 months when I did a 'taper: over the course of about a month which started with skipping some days and then alternating 10 mg with 20 mg days for some of it, going back to just 10 mg for a bit. I had my last pill 12th April and the brain zaps stopped about 3 weeks after that. This coincided with a  nasty virus I had, so not sure what symptoms are from what, it's a very blurry period. Now I know that this wasn't the right way to taper but it's too late.

I still am extremely fatigued and it took me a while to think that might be due to the WD. I had started thinking that I have developed CFS/ME from the stress. I have started monitoring my HR with a Fitbit and it goes up to 120 if I speak to people or get up or walk. This makes me feel quite unwell so I feel bedridden currently. I find it hard to differentiate between physical and mental symptoms and my health anxiety and insomnia are through the roof. Sound familiar to anyone? I feel so alone.

My doctor prescribed 20 mg citalopram again to me and I have taken 10 mg for two days now (this seems stupid, but I don't know how to break the pills into smaller doses...) Any tips for what to do, e.g. a better way to reinstate in this situation? I feel like I'll never be able to go back to work again. :(

Thanks for reading and big hugs! (I don't take any other drugs)

ETA: my experience on the drug was extremely positive the first time around, I only stopped because I thought I didn't need it anymore and I was too lazy to get a new prescription.... 

Oct 2018 - Mar 2019  citalopram 20 mg

Mar - 12th Apr 2019 - Failed attempt at tapering down. Skipped a lot of doses, alternating days of 10 mg and 20 mg.

12th April - 1st June - Nothing.

1st June 2019 - Reinstated 10 mg.

3rd June 2021- 8mg biovailable citalopram in oral drop form (equal to 10mg in pill form)

2019: The WD symptoms that have bothered me the most have been physical: shivers, hot flashes, swollen lymph nodes, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, dry eyes and mouth, sore throat, sore tummy, unconscous jaw clenching, POTS (undiagnosed by a professional for now), brain fog, difficulty concentrating, sleeping too much, sleeping too little.

Hi everyone,

I'm really glad I found this site. If only I had found it before I started my taper.

My short history: 

I'm 25, I had been on citalopram 20 mg for 6 months since October 2018 when I did a 'taper: over the course of about a month which started with skipping some days and then alternating 10 mg with 20 mg days for some of it, going back to just 10 mg for a bit. I had my last pill 12th April and the brain zaps stopped about 3 weeks after that. This coincided with a  nasty virus I had, so not sure what symptoms are from what, it's a very blurry period I was sleeping a lot, flu like symptoms, I couldn't concentrate. While on it, I felt pretty good it wasn't a huge change in how I felt but I felt happier.

Now I know that this wasn't the right way to taper but it's too late.

I have been struggling with lots of symptoms since then and I am/was? convinced that I have developed CFS. I am terrified of not being able to support myself since I live alone in a foreign country. I have been unable to go out, I feel so bad physically, fatigued etc 

I have suspicion that I have developed POTS. Just walking and talking to people makes me feel light-headed and HR shoots up. This is extremely isolating. I find it hard to differentiate between physical and mental symptoms and I feel like noone takes me seriously. My health anxiety and insomnia are through the roof. I have been looking up my symptoms online (stupid I know)

and I want to get tested for some autoimmune diseases and viral markets ro see whether I still have an infection. But maybe all of this is WD???

Also my lymph nodes are quite swollen for months now around my neck and armpits? Anyone else get that?

I have taken 10 mg of citalopram for 2 days now because i thought it would be worth checking to see whether my symptoms improve from this? A smaller dose might have been better but I don't know how to physically break the pills?

I ?think? I feel a bit better since I started again but my insomnia is worse.

(It's hard to tell, I do t know if I can trust myself)

I have a flight back home on Sunday to get some blood tests there, it'll definitely make me feel better to know I'm negative on them. I'll also try to take 1-2 months leave off work because I can't deal with the stress of just being there. (My work is not stressful, it's my anxiety)

Drug history: I have been taking B12, D3, probiotics, CBD oil semi regularly since March.

I recently took 2 adrafinil (I think 300 mg each) in two consecutive days to get me through an interview.

Mar - 12th Apr 2019 - Failed attempt at tapering down. Skipped a lot of doses, alternating days of 10 mg and 20 mg.

3rd June 2021- 8mg biovailable citalopram in oral drop form (equal to 10mg in pill form)

2019: The WD symptoms that have bothered me the most have been physical: shivers, hot flashes, swollen lymph nodes, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, dry eyes and mouth, sore throat, sore tummy, unconscous jaw clenching, POTS (undiagnosed by a professional for now), brain fog, difficulty concentrating, sleeping too much, sleeping too little.

• Songbird changed the title to Smokeandmirrors22: citalopram freedom
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Smokeandmirrors, welcome to SA.  The symptoms you describe sound like they could be from citalopram withdrawal.

It would be helpful if you could please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and allows us see your situation easily without having to read your topic from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example. 

Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature. 

You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings

I think your reinstatement was a sensible idea, but I agree the dose may be too high at this stage as you've been off for a while.  I believe citalopram liquid is available in some countries if you can get your doctor to prescribe it.  If this isn't possible, you should be able to create smaller doses by making a liquid yourself.  Another option is to use a digital scale to weigh doses.  See these topics for more detailed information:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a digital scale to measure doses

How to calculate dosages and dilutions? Spreadsheets and calculators

Choosing a reinstatement dose can be tricky, as you want to avoid adverse reactions which can occur when reinstating after a period of being off the drug.  Please read this topic thoroughly, especially the top post:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

It can take quite some time to restabilise after a reinstatement, with ups and downs along the way, so you'll need to be patient.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thanks for reading!

Yes 10 mg is probably quite high, but I think I will keep going for a bit and hope that I can get to sleep soon.

I definitely feel more like myself and it's only been two days since I reinstated!

Going to see a cardiologist today to hopefully get some insight into why my HR is so high doing mundane things.

10 hours ago, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

ETA: my experience on the drug was extremely positive the first time around, I only stopped because I thought I didn't need it anymore and I was too lazy to get a new prescription.... 

This is exactly what I thought/did with mirtazapine and it worked much better than I thought now my dose is lower. I really have to keep a lid on the HA as its bad at the moment and messing with my dosage isn't helping. Keep the med at a steady dose for some time and try not to panic.

Been on Mirtazapine 30mg for 3yrs and want to come off due to weight gain & morning hangover.

Mid March 2019 went to 15mg one night 30mg the next for a week

Was feeling ok so dropped to 15mg per night but anxiety came back so tried to get back to 30mg but body didnt like it so I panicked and found this site. Dr told me to get stable at 22 1/2mg for a month but have stuck at 15mg and plan to get stable on this, its day 3 on 15mg.

Reinstated back to 30 mg of Mirt and have been on this for a few weeks. Now feel leveled out to a point where I can function and work at a level of anxiety I can cope with. 

3 hours ago, Maca44 said:

This is exactly what I thought/did with mirtazapine and it worked much better than I thought now my dose is lower. I really have to keep a lid on the HA as its bad at the moment and messing with my dosage isn't helping. Keep the med at a steady dose for some time and try not to panic.

That's a very human mistake we made!

What is HA? Hope your body is adjusting ok!

Yes I plan to keep this dose for now. My blood pressure is incredibly low, can barely stand up/walk but I will survive. 

15 hours ago, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

That's a very human mistake we made!

What is HA? Hope your body is adjusting ok!

Yes I plan to keep this dose for now. My blood pressure is incredibly low, can barely stand up/walk but I will survive. 

HA is health anxiety.

All part of my many anxieties 😀

Been on Mirtazapine 30mg for 3yrs and want to come off due to weight gain & morning hangover.

Was feeling ok so dropped to 15mg per night but anxiety came back so tried to get back to 30mg but body didnt like it so I panicked and found this site. Dr told me to get stable at 22 1/2mg for a month but have stuck at 15mg and plan to get stable on this, its day 3 on 15mg.

Reinstated back to 30 mg of Mirt and have been on this for a few weeks. Now feel leveled out to a point where I can function and work at a level of anxiety I can cope with. 

On 6/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, Maca44 said:

HA is health anxiety.

All part of my many anxieties 😀

Oh yes, health anxiety is the worst. Have you been stabilising at 15 mg? How long have you been on this dosage now?

It's my 5th day back on citalopram (10 mg rather than 20 mg which is what I was on before).

Horrible anxiety and insomnia since I started again but at least most of the physical symptoms are gone so I can feel like myself again. I guess I should ride it out for a couple more weeks?

This is my 5th day of taking citalopram 10 mg . I have been breaking the 20mg pills by hand which is not good. I can definitely see that I'm not breaking them up evenly.

I think I'm better.... I feel like myself again just a very very anxious version of myself. Falling asleep has been super hard, I can feel lots of heart palpitations for most of the day.

Can anyone give some advice if I should alter this 10 mg dose to something else? Does the increased anxiety and insomnia mean I'm not reacting well to it? 

On the bright side, I've gone back to work a couple of times and it's definitely nice to kind of be back to normality. Definitely very fatigued. 

I can feel all my unhealthy mental habits blossoming such as catastrophising, etc. I'm terrified I'll be like this forever.

Been on 15mg for a few days now but was on 12.5mg ,just need to get dose up asap as its not doing me any good being like this so I'm getting back on it and accepting that I just need meds to keep me well.

Hey ! I literally have the exact same symptoms as you. I was on Citalopram for 10 years & then Prozac short term. I've had POTS since withdrawal along with debilitating fatigue and swollen lymph nodes.. I could have wrote that intro myself. I try to remind myself that these are withdrawal symptoms and my nervous system needs time to catch up to the big change. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

This is my 5th day of taking citalopram 10 mg . I have been breaking the 20mg pills by hand which is not good. I can definitely see that I'm not breaking them up evenly.

You'll need to find a way to make more accurate doses.  Did you read the links I gave you about the various ways to measure doses?

On 6/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

I think I'm better.... I feel like myself again just a very very anxious version of myself. Falling asleep has been super hard, I can feel lots of heart palpitations for most of the day.

Can anyone give some advice if I should alter this 10 mg dose to something else? Does the increased anxiety and insomnia mean I'm not reacting well to it? 

It's hard to tell as you've reported improvement in other symptoms.  What time of day do you take your dose?  You won't be able to alter your dose to something else until you have a way to accurately measure doses. 

It sounds like overall you are feeling better, so I would probably give it a few more weeks to see if you get more improvement over time.  It can take a long time to restabilise after reinstating so you need to be patient.

If you're having a lot of anxiety, I highly recommend books and recordings by Dr. Claire Weekes, along with regular relaxation exercises to calm down the nervous system.  See:

The Dr. Claire Weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

On 6/8/2019 at 5:46 AM, KMart95 said:

Hey ! I literally have the exact same symptoms as you. I was on Citalopram for 10 years & then Prozac short term. I've had POTS since withdrawal along with debilitating fatigue and swollen lymph nodes.. I could have wrote that intro myself. I try to remind myself that these are withdrawal symptoms and my nervous system needs time to catch up to the big change. 

Hey!! It's comforting to hear that but also I'm really sorry you're suffering!

Hope your withdrawal goes well, how long has it been? Have you had any medical help for POTS? Or are we supposed to just get on with it? You're so brave to get off after 10 years!

I've reinstated 10 mg a week ago and the POTS and fatigue are gone but my lymph nodes and throat are still very sore! :( I feel like myself again but I'm also so traumatized by this experience.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, Songbird said:

You'll need to find a way to make more accurate doses.  Did you read the links I gave you about the various ways to measure doses?

It's hard to tell as you've reported improvement in other symptoms.  What time of day do you take your dose?  You won't be able to alter your dose to something else until you have a way to accurately measure doses. 

It sounds like overall you are feeling better, so I would probably give it a few more weeks to see if you get more improvement over time.  It can take a long time to restabilise after reinstating so you need to be patient.

If you're having a lot of anxiety, I highly recommend books and recordings by Dr. Claire Weekes, along with regular relaxation exercises to calm down the nervous system.  See:

The Dr. Claire Weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Hello!

Thanks so much for reading, yes I've been reading this website non-stop haha. I got 10 mg pills from the doctor's so at least my dose is accurate for now. I take it around 8 pm, is that ok?

It's been a week now since reinstatement and the fatigue, POTS and anxiety are gone. Have had sore lymph nodes since this whole ordeal started but I guess that could be unrelated?

Anyway, I guess I'll stay a couple more weeks on 10 mg before I take other action. I've missed almost two months from work so my priority is keeping my job

I was taking a huge number of supplements but I've stopped that and only take fish oil and magnesium now.

3 hours ago, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

Hey!! It's comforting to hear that but also I'm really sorry you're suffering!

Hope your withdrawal goes well, how long has it been? Have you had any medical help for POTS? Or are we supposed to just get on with it? You're so brave to get off after 10 years!

I've reinstated 10 mg a week ago and the POTS and fatigue are gone but my lymph nodes and throat are still very sore! :( I feel like myself again but I'm also so traumatized by this experience.

I am 1.5 months back on 1mg Prozac. Reinstated after withdrawal symptoms hit me hard. I haven't had any medical help with POTS but it has improved so much over time. I drink a ton of salt & water, make sure I get light exercise everyday and sometimes wear compression socks to prevent the blood from pooling in my legs. Exercise is the best thing but it's tough when you're so exhausted. We are both brave ! It is a very scary process and it's frustrating being in this position but we will get there! Send me a message if you ever want to talk more :)

Guess it's time for another update.

I have been back on citalopram since the 1st and my energy is back and I feel good physically, I sleep well.

However, I have got some blood tests done and my lipase and amylase are high. The doc said my pancreas looks fine so it must be from gastritis. And prescribed PPI to me. I am scared to take this at the same time as citalopram. If this is result from the pills can I just follow a diet (not sure what that would be?) and monitor them. I have seen other people on the site talk about these same enzymes, can anyone share their experiences?

I can't help but think my health issues are a result from taking these pills. The doc said my liver is too big for my age too.

At the same time, I am  incredibly traumatised from how I felt when I had stopped taking them. I cannot imagine feeling healthy off them.

From what I've read on the site, it looks like it's possible I might get a auto-immune disease when I stop taking them and I definitely had the symptoms when I wasn't on them.

It feels like whatever I do, I will suffer. 

• 1 month later...
I thought  I would write up an update on what's happening with me. 
I have been stabilised at 10 mg for almost two months now, still have some withdrawal symptoms: shivering, random pains, burning skin, weird feeling in my right eye but they are manageable. 
Still have some pretty strong derealisation moments but nothing I can't handle.
When I was in deep w/d and getting tested for everything under the sun, we found that my pancreas enzymes, lipase and alpha-amylase are too high but hopefully that should improve with a non-fatty diet. Funny that my GP in the UK said that she had never heard of them and that 'we don't test for that in the UK'. Ok... British people don't have pancreases I guess??

I have been thinking about getting the HPV vaccine but I am scared of how my body will react now and I don't know if it's worth the risk. A vaccine is a stressful experience for anyone's body, let alone someone like us. Also, it might not even do anything anymore as I am too old and have had sex.

My eyesight has gotten worse and I was worried that is connected to citalopram use but the optician looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested it.
The overbearing fatigue is gone, I am not back to my energy levels from before but I am ok. I am back to work full time, I have found it hard to concentrate but that could be due to a number of things. I know that I was reading all the papers I could find on citalopram, so obviously I can focus when it's something I care about.
I have started accepting and forgiving myself for putting myself in this situation. I am much more grateful for the small things in life like showering and doing laundry without having to lie down afterwards feels pretty good!
Obviously, 10 mg is still in the so-called therapeutic range so that helps to make me feel good. Maybe the worst withdrawal symptoms are yet to come. Or maybe (hopefully) with a controlled taper and an understanding of what is happening to me, the worst is behind me!

The big news in my life is that I am moving to Spain in a few months to pursue a PhD. The beginning will be difficult as my Spanish needs a lot of work, I am scared about finding a place to stay, a PhD is obviously lots of work etc etc. There is a little voice in my head telling me that I am not able to work as hard as before to earn a PhD. That I can't concentrate anymore.  
But before the citalopram I wouldn't have thought twice before accepting this offer, so I am not going to let these pills make me scared of pursuing life. I started taking them to improve my life, not to ruin it!

There is the temptation not to try to taper until I have graduated but future me will hate me if I did that. I will need to make sure my vitamin levels (B12 etc) are in range and I am in a good place mentally and physically before I attempt a taper.
I will need to settle down there first, see how the medical system works but I've read on here that the citalopram liquid is easier to get there which is promising. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

There is the temptation not to try to taper until I have graduated but future me will hate me if I did that.

You can always do a slower than 10% taper.  The Brass Monkey Slide method is good because it gives you the chance to hold for a bit longer.  It is 10% reduction over 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks, so a monthly average drop of 6.66%, but you can do an even smaller reduction.  For example 7.5% over 6 weeks = 5% monthly.  Or 5% over 6 weeks = 2.5 + 1.25 = 3.33% monthly.

Even though it would be very smaller reductions at least you would be heading in the direction you want to go. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Chessie, I will start doing that once I'm registered with a GP in Spain and get ahold of liquid form of citalopram.

In the meantime, I've been having bladder pain for the last 2 months which I'm starting to suspect is withdrawal related. Even though I was sure I was stabilised at 10 mg.

It just feels like a low grade UTI and pain in the womb/bladder area. But it goes away some days?

ETA: it was worse last month when I got my urine tested and they didn't find any bacteria.

• Mentor

Glad you're feeling better!

Please consider independently researching the HPV vaccine. I heard some bad things about it. I wish I could cite the source but I don't recall. The vaccine wasn't tested that well, from what I recall about it. I think maybe it was on Dr. Breggin's web site, I know he usually writes about psych drugs so maybe it wasn't there. I don't know.

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

4 hours ago, ShiningLight said:

Glad you're feeling better!

Please consider independently researching the HPV vaccine. I heard some bad things about it. I wish I could cite the source but I don't recall. The vaccine wasn't tested that well, from what I recall about it. I think maybe it was on Dr. Breggin's web site, I know he usually writes about psych drugs so maybe it wasn't there. I don't know.

Thanks for your message! 

I have heard bad things about it too unfortunately. I don't think I will go for it since it's probably too late for me. I'm already getting weird pap smear results. 

Frankly, I feel a lot of my mental and physical health problems are connected to being a woman. My depression got much worse after being on different contraceptive pills etc etc I have PCOS too

3 hours ago, Smokeandmirrors22 said:

Frankly, I feel a lot of my mental and physical health problems are connected to being a woman. My depression got much worse after being on different contraceptive pills etc etc I have PCOS too

Lots of birth control pills have depression/dysphoria as a side effect. It's not clear they actually treat PCOS.

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• 1 month later...

Hi guys another update from me which will mostly be focused on my health issues. Any advice is appreciated. I am still on 10 mg.

So I have just moved to Spain, no friends here and I am not medically insured yet. I will look into private insurance once my contract is sorted.

I have been experiencing symptoms similar to a UTI since around July with varying intensity. The doctors couldn't find any bacteria in my urine so I imagine it's something like interstitial cystitis. July was when the last of my withdrawal symptoms were clearing up so I definitely attribute this to the citalopram. I was prescribed a nasty antibiotic regardless but I am not taking it if they didn't even find any bacteria! This is something I am trying to ignore at the moment - maybe try to figure out what my triggers are.

More seriously, I've got some pre cancerous cells on my cervix and if it doesn't get better by December I will be scheduled to do a biopsy! To say I am scared is an understatement.

Any advice on what to do with the citalopram during this period? It is anti inflammatory which actually limits the development of cancer to some extent. I know no one can tell me how my body will react and I am not aware of any studies on the inks between cancer and SSRIs. 

From an emotional point of view the answer is to probably keep at 10 mg especially since the overwhelming fatigue from withdrawal will not help me with integrating in society, making friends etc.

In the meantime I have been prescribed some vaginal cremes to help fight the HPV virus and I am doing a herb cleansing regime.

I have also been looking into keto diets and fasting for cancer. I figure it can't hurt to try and it feels like I am doing something to help my situation. Plus doing low carb and fasting in the past has made me feel great. 

I know fasting is not advised during withdrawal but I am stabilised at the moment.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello smokeandmirrors !

I Feel close To what you're experiencing : a few years ago, doctors found precancerous cells on my cervix too. I know how scary it is : as soon as the Word 'cancer' appears, it freaks us out!

As soon as I started To tell female friends what was happening, I discorvered that they almost all had HPV virus and precancerous cells! I was so surprised! All my friends told me I would be ok...and eventually, my precancerous cells did disappear! My doctors said it was quite common.

I'm not a doctor and can't give you advices, and every situation is specific, but I wanted To share my story with you : even if it's scary, it can go very Well. 

Keep telling us how you're doing. 

Ps : where are you in Spain? I love this country! 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 12:17 PM, Erell said:

Hello smokeandmirrors !

I Feel close To what you're experiencing : a few years ago, doctors found precancerous cells on my cervix too. I know how scary it is : as soon as the Word 'cancer' appears, it freaks us out!

As soon as I started To tell female friends what was happening, I discorvered that they almost all had HPV virus and precancerous cells! I was so surprised! All my friends told me I would be ok...and eventually, my precancerous cells did disappear! My doctors said it was quite common.

I'm not a doctor and can't give you advices, and every situation is specific, but I wanted To share my story with you : even if it's scary, it can go very Well. 

Keep telling us how you're doing. 

Ps : where are you in Spain? I love this country!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Yes I know it's very common but I'm still scared. So glad you are okay!

I think I've had for about a year now so unless my body fights it successfully I will need the surgery soon. 

I am in Barcelona, I love it here. 

I haven't sorted my insurance here yet which is worrying because I can't afford the surgery privately.

Hey all,

I am looking for advice regarding an UTI.

I've had pelvic pain since about July but it's intermittent so I can ignore it generally.

In July they have me Trimeth in the pharmacy which made me feel really unwell and I didn't feel it was helping the symptoms.

I went to the emergency room, they said my vitals were ok even though I was shivering. They tested my urine (not midstream) and said it was clear. So I didn't finish my round of trimeth.

The pain has improved a bit since then but I still feel it. I think citalopram's anti inflammatory effect may be masking some of the symptoms and pain.

I got a mid stream urine test in September and the result was they found a bacteria: Staphylococcus saprophyticus 10 000 cfu/ml. Apparently the way you test the urine matters.

Just a note to say that I currently cannot access a doctor to read the results or get new tests since I'm not insured in Spain yet.

As far as I understood from the internet this is not a large amount of bacteria and a retest is required. 

However, in my blood test my Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) was high which could mean that the infection has spread to my kidneys.

So I don't know what to do. I generally feel ok apart from the pelvic pain once or twice a day. I have been prescribed two antibiotics and now it's my choice whether I take either of them or none at all: levofloxacin and nitrofurantoin.

I don't want to take either because the side effects seem too scary. But if there is an infection and it spreads, that's not good either.

• Mentor

This is serious, you can end up with sepsis which can cause organ damage and death. Take the abx. Not sure which one. 

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

• Mentor

Oh I didn't see advice to retest. Pay out of pocket. It's worth your while in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

wanted to post a quick update!

in regards to my last post, I never figured out the source or the reason for my UTI-like symptoms. The pain was so bad but I’ve been okay this year, knock on wood! In my mind I blame it on withdrawal.

Since my last post, I’ve dropped out of a PhD, moved to the UK, got my first car and a mortgage! All the while been stable on 10 mg citalopram. 

I am looking to start tapering soon, I mentioned tapering to my GP just to plant the seed, and she was unsupportive (new GP so she knows nothing about me). Anyway, I will ask about the citalopram oral drops in 1-2 months as that will make measuring doses easier for me but I don’t have high hopes that I will be given them. I know it’s not necessary for a successful taper but I want to try. I’m hopeful and looking forward to tapering slowly.

I’ve lived in 3 countries and I hate the feeling of gatekeeing the NHS gives you, i.e. if your GP doesn’t believe in tapering you are stuck with whatever they are willing to prescribe or not. Unfortunately I’ve only seen the oral drops offered in the UK, otherwise I could get them prescribed and sourced  from a doctor in my home country. 

• 4 months later...

Another late night update, I got the oral drops from the GP so I have started my first dose tonight. I took 8 ml which is equal to 10 mg in pill form due to bio availability.

Immediately got hit with insomnia unfortunately. 

I just saw in one of the other threads that I can take half the amount in pill form and half in oral drop form, oops! 
i had read this a year ago and remembered it as alternate days for pill and oral drops which was my initial plan and why I went straight for the whole dose in oral drop form today.

Hi all looking for advice regarding the cipramil oral drops 40 mg/ml.

What Altostrata describes is:

For example, say you want to take 1mg:

- Using a 10mL syringe to measure out the water, put 9mg water in a clean, small pill bottle.

- With a dry syringe, put 1mg Cipramil (40mg) in the water. Now you have 40mg in 10mL of liquid.

- To take 1mg, take .25mL (1/40 of 10mL).

Okay I get that but should I stir the water/liquid mixture before I take the required dose with a syringe? Thanks. Sorry if it feels like a stupid question, I'm scared.

So far I have been taking 10 mg (8mg bioavailable in 0.2 ml liquid) for 6 days but I have been using the dropper provided with the bottle. I have got some syringes but I don't trust myself to use them yet.

The post I'm referring to is below: