Jessie1122: Effexor Reinstatement

Jessie1122

Hi,

Been on Effexor 75 XR for almost 17 years. in May, 2018 I started tapering, but I think I have done it too quickly...by August I was on 37.5mg XR (after alternating 75 and 37.5) Prozac to "bridge"...December, 2018 I started taking 37.5mg every other day for 3 weeks and on Feb 8th, 2019 I went to ZERO (per dr. instructions). Memorial day weekend withdrawals hit me like a ton of bricks...high anxiety, some depression, nervousness and fatigue. I am now taking .05mg ATIVAN as needed. I take vitamin B Complex, D3, iron, probiotics, formula 303, cortisol Manager, Fish Oil, Magnesoim bisglycinate. I started taking 800 mg SAM-E last week and I have just started taking 800mg holy basil. I sleep fine at night, bust as soon as I open my eyes, I start feeling anxious. I am thinking about reinstating the 37.5mg XR tonight...is that too much? Any advice? PLEASE?????????????????????????

Been on Effexor 75XR for almost 17 years. May 2018 I started tapering, but I believe I went too fast. By August I was on 37.5 mg XR. Started Prozac 10 mg beginning of September, 2018 to "bridge". Starting December, 2018 started alternating 75 and 37.50, then took it twice per week and on February 8th, 2019 I went to ZERO (Doctor's orders). Memorial day weekend withdrawals hit me like a ton of bricks...major anxiety, some depression and fatigue. I take vitamins B Complex, D3, Fish Oil, Iron, Formula 303, Cortisol Manager, probiotics, magnesium bis-glycinate. Been taking Sam-E for a week and just started taking holy Basil. I have taken my last Prozac 10mg yesterday. I also take .05mg Activan as needed. My doc suggested reinstate 37.5 mg...any advice?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jessie1122: Effexor Reinstatement
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jessie, welcome to SA.  I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time with Effexor withdrawal and that the bridge to Prozac wasn't successful for you.

It would be helpful if you could please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and allows us see your situation easily without having to read your topic from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

It sounds like you've been off Effexor for several months, so it's possible that if you reinstate at 37.5 mg you would be at high risk for an adverse reaction.  We've found that some people are able to get some relief of symptoms by reinstating a very small dose.  Please read our reinstatement topic very thoroughly, particularly the top post:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If you decide to reinstate a very small dose, you'll need a way to measure it, which can be tricky with Effexor depending on what form you have - for more information see:  Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine).

It looks like you're taking a large number of supplements, which could make it difficult to tell what is causing anything.  Many of those supplements can be very activating, which won't be helpful if you're experiencing anxiety.  Also the body can react strangely to supplements when it is unstable from withdrawal.  What was the reason you added each of these supplements?

I'm also concerned that as you've dropped Prozac after several months on it, this could potentially add to your withdrawal symptoms.  I'm going to ask the other mods for their input on this and we will respond to you here.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi,

my protractred withdrawals started about 3 weeks ago. I have reinstated 37.5 mg 3 days ago, still having anxiety and nervousness. I take .05mg of Lorazepam twice per day but still uncomfortable 

• Administrator

Hello, Jessie. Do you feel better or worse after you take 37.5mg Effexor? How often do you take lorazepam?

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My anxiety is getting better, but I feel very fatigued. I take .05 Lorazepam around 5:30 pm and around 6:00 am

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

An example of what Alto is requesting:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

5;30 pm .05 Lorazepam 

8:30 pm went to bed

9:00 pm 37.5 Effexor XR

slept to probably 11:30pm

Woke up and my body felt nervous

i tossed and turned for few hours

3:30 am .05 Lorazepam 

slept for few hours

6:00am took a CBD capsule

relaxed until 8:00 am

Woke up very anxious