bayernbaby: tapering 20 mg Duloxetine

bayernbaby

Hello, I'm a new member to this forum! I was put on 20 mg (generic) Cymbalta (Duloxetine) in early June; at the time my husband and I had just moved to a new (to me) town/state and I had a difficult time learning my way around, in addition to being exhausted and in pain from the move! 

A new healthcare system = a new GP: "I think we can best address all your issues with a low-dose antidepressant" - next thing I know I'm diagnosed with "MDD" (major depressive disorder). Initially GP wanted me to increase dosage to 40 mg after one week on 20 mg. Due to troubling side effects I told her "no way"; it's been now a bit over two months, I know my way around town, my husband and I exercise lots daily (in addition to walking our dogs) so while I did feel a bit blue when we got here, it was definitely not MDD, but an adjustment period! 

I researched and researched and am so thrilled to have found your site! Today is Day 3 of my tapering off, I'll be attempting to go down 10% per week unless I experience withdrawal symptoms...so far, so good. Yes, I've counted beads and made "new" capsules by removing a certain number of beads (10%). Presently I don't notice any side effects - maybe getting off the pills will be easier than I have anticipated.  I'll keep you posted!

Again I'm SO GRATEFULl that this site/forum exists! It is criminal that doctors put us on this stuff, but don't counsel us how to get off it. It has been a learning experience...I am normally very assertive and surprised myself that I let her put me on this medication; I guess she got to me at a low point! I talked with a health nurse last week and she said they would want me on it at least for one year! Yeah right!

Kind regards and many thanks,

bayernbaby

Edited by ChessieCat
added space

2017 to 11 June 2019: Clonazepam 1 mg

11 June 2019: Duloxetine 20 mg --> taken at night (per doc's instructions) which wired me

12 June to 14 Aug 2019: Duloxetine 20 mg (taken between 7 am and 7:30 am)

14 Aug 2019: Counted beads in Duloxetine capsules and created a 10% reduced capsules for 7 days

11-19 June 2019: Clonazepam 0.5 mg/night (per doc's instructions) --> Insomnia

19-20 June 2019: Clonazepam 0.25 mg/night(per doc's instructions) --> Severe insomnia (went back to 0.5 mg/night)

21 June 2019 to present: Clonazepam 0.5 mg/night - will stay at this dose until off Duloxetine

15 Aug 2019: Tapered to 18 mg Duloxetine (taken between 7 am and 7:30 am); slight headache on Day 4 (19 Aug)

CANCELED plan: 22 Aug 2019 to taper to 16.2 mg Duloxetine --- as of 8.27.19: staying at 18 mg at least for another week 

My current meds are:

> Tapered Duloxetine 18 mg/morning > Pravastin 20 mg/evening > Clonazepam 0.5 mg/night > PreserVision Areds 2 (1 tablet am/pm)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, bayernbaby.  

Tapering 10% per week is four times faster than what we recommend, which is to taper no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some have to go more slowly than 10% every four weeks.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

This link is specifically about tapering Duloxetine.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Tapering 10% a week puts you at risk of some significant withdrawal symptoms that can take quite a while to resolve. Withdrawal symptoms can be delayed for weeks or even months, then hit you very hard.  According to the medical literature, anyone that's been taking an antidepressant for more than a month is at risk for withdrawal symptoms.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

My suggestion is that you remain at your current dose, which I assume is 18mg (10% of 20mg) for the recommended four weeks, then, if all is well, taper 10% of 18mg (1.8mg) to your next dose, which would be 16.2mg, etc.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley,

thanks for your reply! I will definitely slow down the tapering if I notice any issues. Every BODY is different! I am also taking 0.5 mg clonazepam at night as I NEED to be able to get some decent sleep to be able to function during the day. Once I'm off the duloxetine, I will tackle getting of the Klonipin.

Yes, I'm very happy I found my way here!

Take care,

bayernbaby

11 June 2019: Duloxetine 20 mg --> taken at night (per doc's instructions) which wired me

14 Aug 2019: Counted beads in Duloxetine capsules and created a 10% reduced capsules for 7 days

19-20 June 2019: Clonazepam 0.25 mg/night(per doc's instructions) --> Severe insomnia (went back to 0.5 mg/night)

21 June 2019 to present: Clonazepam 0.5 mg/night - will stay at this dose until off Duloxetine

15 Aug 2019: Tapered to 18 mg Duloxetine (taken between 7 am and 7:30 am); slight headache on Day 4 (19 Aug)

CANCELED plan: 22 Aug 2019 to taper to 16.2 mg Duloxetine --- as of 8.27.19: staying at 18 mg at least for another week 

My current meds are:

> Tapered Duloxetine 18 mg/morning > Pravastin 20 mg/evening > Clonazepam 0.5 mg/night > PreserVision Areds 2 (1 tablet am/pm)

• ChessieCat changed the title to bayernbaby: tapering 20 mg Duloxetine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi bayernbaby and welcome from me too,

Please tell us about your clonazepam use.

Q:  When did you start clonazepam?

Q:  How often do you take it?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi ChessieCat,

I've been on some type of sleep medication for at least 12 years; I started when I encountered sleep issues going into menopause and I was still working in a stressful job. Over the years I've taken a sleep aid every night - Ambien, Lunesta (all the Z drugs) and OTC benadryl (which I understand is even worse). I was switched to another one when one stopped working.

For the last 2 years, I've been on Clonazepam - 1 mg at night. The new doctor (the one who prescribed Duloxetine) wanted to take me off it immediately (cold turkey)...I tried and had severe insomnia so she put me back on 0.5 mg per night for one week, expecting me to go to 0.25 mg a night afterwards; I tried, but it was not working.  The question for me right now is: what is worse: sleepless nights where I get at most 3-4 hrs of sleep or taking a pill for restful sleep so I can function the next day! I'm taking 0.5 mg at night right now...once I'm off the duloxetine (which I was told would help with sleep and pain relief - NOT!) I will attempt again to taper off the benzodiazepam.

Take care,

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, bayernbaby said:

once I'm off the duloxetine (which I was told would help with sleep and pain relief - NOT!) I will attempt again to taper off the benzodiazepam.

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time, so you're doing it right, tapering the activating Cymbalta first, while leaving the sedating Clonazepam as a buffer to be tapered after you're off the Cymbalta.  

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Again, please be very careful about the rate you're tapering the Cymbalta. Of course, you're free to determine your own taper rate, but It would be better to slow down now than after you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi bayernbaby,

Welcome to SA. I am also tapering duloxetine. I am not a moderator but I can share my experiences with this drug and tapering.

For the tapering process - the BrassMonkey slide taper has made a huge improvement in my withdrawal effects. I initially made the 2 mg drop per advice of the MD - and was miserable for more than a month. I should have held at that point - but didn't know any better - so had prolonged issues. I have found in my case that WD symptoms have appeared weeks or a couple of months after a drop - and with no apparent trigger.

I am also taking clonazapem - which is on my taper list. I chose to taper duloxetine first.  Clonazepam has as Gridley pointed out a sedating effect and I have also been on it for years.

If you are on a short acting compound (which I currently am) I have found that splitting the dose makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck. :)

G.

Guilietta,

thanks much for your reply and suggestions! I am on the lookout for WD side effects, but so far *knock on wood* (which doesn't mean I won't get any, I'm totally aware of that) - I might have had some "sensations" under my skull the first day of tapering, but nothing that I would describe as brain zaps. So I'm taking it day by day, just happy to know I'm getting off this stuff, microbeads by microbeads.

I'll do the next down tapering next Thursday...if there are issues, I'll stay at the current dose.

Looking at your tapering schedule, you've come a long way...congratulations and take good care!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

Hello bayernbaby,

I took a look at your post again - and clonazepam is not a drug to come off cold turkey (like all of these drugs).

Since I started cymbalta/duloxetine 5 years ago - I rarely have a night that I don't wake up at least once. It will be good to be off this medicine.

Er, um, how did a new MD decided you had MDD? That is something I want to bring up with my MD - as I don't know how it was determined I had this years ago when I was put on these meds....

G.

• Administrator
On 8/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, bayernbaby said:

Hi ChessieCat,

I've been on some type of sleep medication for at least 12 years; I started when I encountered sleep issues going into menopause and I was still working in a stressful job. Over the years I've taken a sleep aid every night - Ambien, Lunesta (all the Z drugs) and OTC benadryl (which I understand is even worse). I was switched to another one when one stopped working.

For the last 2 years, I've been on Clonazepam - 1 mg at night. The new doctor (the one who prescribed Duloxetine) wanted to take me off it immediately (cold turkey)...I tried and had severe insomnia so she put me back on 0.5 mg per night for one week, expecting me to go to 0.25 mg a night afterwards; I tried, but it was not working.  The question for me right now is: what is worse: sleepless nights where I get at most 3-4 hrs of sleep or taking a pill for restful sleep so I can function the next day! I'm taking 0.5 mg at night right now...once I'm off the duloxetine (which I was told would help with sleep and pain relief - NOT!) I will attempt again to taper off the benzodiazepam.

Take care,

bayernbaby

Hello, bayernbaby. Your irregular clonazepam dosing may be causing additional problems. I'd like @Shep to review your clonazepam schedule. Please keep daily notes about times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

Where are you in your Cymbalta taper? Please stop tapering while recording your daily drug and symptoms. We'll be looking for a baseline pattern.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

An example of what is needed:

a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, bayernbaby said:

Over the years I've taken a sleep aid every night - Ambien, Lunesta (all the Z drugs) and OTC benadryl (which I understand is even worse). I was switched to another one when one stopped working.

When did you go from 1 mg to .5 mg Klonopin? 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

After you complete your signature and provide a couple of days of the drug and symptoms notes (please see ChessieCat's post above with an example), we can help you set up a benzo schedule if you are suffering from any rebound or interdose withdrawal issues. I'm very glad you didn't listen to your doctor. Doctors should be aware that it's possible to have a seizure from going cold turkey off a benzo (these drugs are anticonvulsants), so you were very wise to quickly reinstate. 

20 hours ago, Guilietta said:

Hello bayernbaby,

I took a look at your post again - and clonazepam is not a drug to come off cold turkey (like all of these drugs).

Since I started cymbalta/duloxetine 5 years ago - I rarely have a night that I don't wake up at least once. It will be good to be off this medicine.

Er, um, how did a new MD decided you had MDD? That is something I want to bring up with my MD - as I don't know how it was determined I had this years ago when I was put on these meds....

G.

Guilietta:

How did doc diagnose me with MDD? Doc didn't say it was MDD, but everyone I have dealt with since seems to call it that in their notes! 

In June 2019 I presented with 24/7 joint pain, fibromyalgia, exhaustion, anxiety and feeling blue! I think the latter was because after having lived for 20+ years in another city/state, I had a difficult time learning my way around - I'm no spring chicken *lol* (in addition to not having my car which was stuck in the previous state because the car carrier had an accident AND my husband having bought an electric car which I needed to learn to operate)...typing it now and re-reading it, it seems like nothing to deal with, but at the time (June 2019) I was totally exhausted from packing up our house since beginning of the year and moving as well as really overwhelmed in my new surroundings.

Having read lots on the subject since then, I believe I had a case of "adjustment syndrome" (I think that's the correct description) and it should NOT have been treated with an antidepressant. 
I've recently completed a chronic pain class and am currently taking a Chronic Behavioral Therapy (CBT-I) for Insomnia class; my aim is to NOT be on any medication unless absolutely necessary. I wish nothing more than to be off the sleep medicine, but was shocked when I was expected to be off it cold turkey (after years) and when that didn't work, within 2 weeks ("take half dose for 1 week, then 1/4 dose for the next week, then you should be off").

I've learned over the years that the quality of my sleep totally affects my pain and energy levels (this was confirmed in the chronic pain class I attended). In my case this is what needs to addressed and I am trying to address it on my own!

Take care,

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

...having slight headache on Day 5 of first 10% tapering. It's tolerable, but would like to know if it's ok to take ibuprofen if it gets worse...just want to be prepared on what to do IN CASE...

Thanks!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

Hello bayernbaby,

Sorry about the headache. I'll pass on commenting on whether to take a pain killer or not. As a rule of thumb I have not taken anything to cope with WD effects - not b/c I didn't / don't have them.

I found that a 10% cut was too severe for me to tolerate (for example,  going from 20 mg to 18 mg in one dosage). I have been having better luck with the BrassMonkey taper method.  This is 4 smaller cuts over 4 weeks which add up to 10% - followed by a 2 week hold.

It seemed odd that an MD who didn't know you (and perhaps your history) would make a diagnosis of mdd. 

25 minutes ago, bayernbaby said:

typing it now and re-reading it, it seems like nothing to deal with, but at the time (June 2019) I was totally exhausted

What a huge cluster of life events you have experienced. Change by itself - and amongst the most difficult - is moving (especially a major one like you describe). A change in location, leaving behind friends and all things familiar, and adjusting to all new things, culture, and meet people.  

Life happened to me as well - a combination of a stressful job (and one of the worst jobs and managers ever), a relationship that had peaks and valleys - and finally an unpleasant ending (and the prolonged recovery from that) converged at a very bad time of the year (fall/winter). As stress makes anyone's health bad - a long-term illness became problematic to manage.  I was not diagnosed with mdd but was prescribed SSRIs. I was in my mid-30s. Subsequent to this someone decided I had mdd. In hindsight maybe the 'taper' / abrupt cessation of meds - some months later symptoms are back - a new drug is introduced - led some MD to label me as such. I went through some of my medical history to note some of this. 

I am taking CBT refresher - and the first thing they are targeting for me is SLEEP. Sleep is another subject by itself.

Have a good day,

G.

Hello Guilietta (what a beautiful name BTW),

you said it: it was a cluster of life events at once! While my husband is from here and has family here, I haven't seen much of them when we lived in the Eastern time zone and as far as personal friends (speak: women friends), I'm starting from scratch! *lol* Luckily, my husband and his family are very supportive.

You had your share of much sorrow, Sister! I hope you're taking good care of yourself. 

Over the next two days I will make the decision whether I'm staying at the first 10% cut! Reading other peoples' stories, I see that a lot of folks have had horrible WD symptoms! Like I said, right now the headache is manageable without medication! I have had a history of migraines; they started up again when we first moved to this dry climate, but they have subsided. But it could also be the heat and/or ozone issues we're currently having...close to 100 degrees expected today!

Oh the new doc did take my history, was totally aware that we just had moved here and all it entailed. I'm sure the doc meant well, but maybe she should have slowed down with her prescription.

I just started reading the book "Chasing the Scream" by Johann Hari; it explains the origin of the "war on drugs" (1920's until present time); it is fascinating, can't put it down.

Take care,

bb

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, bayernbaby said:

would like to know if it's ok to take ibuprofen if it gets worse...just want to be prepared on what to do IN CASE...

Here's a link.  Some members do fine, others have had reactions.  Paracetamol ramped up my anxiety

Pain Killers in Withdrawal: aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol ...

This link seems to indicate that SSRIs combined with NSAIDs increases the risk of gastrointestinal upset.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

4 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Here's a link.  Some members do fine, others have had reactions.  Paracetamol ramped up my anxiety

Pain Killers in Withdrawal: aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol ...

This link seems to indicate that SSRIs combined with NSAIDs increases the risk of gastrointestinal upset.

Thanks so much for the link, Gridley!

Ibuprofen is really the only OTC NSAID that helps me with any type of pain. Since my gastrointestinal system is my "weak" organ (according to a Chinese acupuncturist), I only take it if (any) pain gets out of control. I love reading about everything in this context and LEARNING. Appreciate everybody's support so much!

bb

My current meds are:

Hi Bayernbaby,

I am tapering other meds than you and everybody is different - but I have never experienced an influence of Ibuprofene on my WD symptoms.

Nevertheless I am trying to minimize the Ibu dose I need. So I started using the Ibuprofene syrup we bought for our kids.

In most cases 100 mg of Ibu are enough for me to cope with headaches. The standard dose here is 200mg and my pharmacist recommended to start with 400 mg ....

What I read somewhere (and I think there is some truth in it): When pain meds are necessary, it's better to start early and to more or less eliminate it right away than to keep it at a bearable level.

So when I notice a headache which I think will become worse during the day (and will need treatment) I take some Ibu right away. 

Best wishes

Hamster

Nov 2018: St. John's Wort 900 mg Extract / day Dec 2018: fast taper of St. John's Wort  (900 mg -> 0 in about 2 weeks)
Jan 2019: start of  citalopram (10 mg/d) and mirtazapine (30 mg/d) Feb 2019: citalopram increased to 20 mg/d, start of talk therapy
March 2019: 10 mg/d citalopram & 15 mg/d mirtazapine April 2019: 7 mg/d citalopram & 7.5 mg/d mirtazapine
May 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 5 mg/d mirtazapine June 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 3.75 mg/d mirtazapine

July 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 3.12 mg/d mirtazapine July 16th 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.5 mg/d mirtazapine

August 22nd 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.2 mg/d mirtazapine September 20th 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.0 mg/d mirtazapine -> BM slide (around 2%/week, some holds). Feb 2020: 3.4 mg/d citalopram & 1.5 mg/d mirtazapine, Jan 2021: 0.9 mg/d citalopram & 0.5 mg/d mirtazapine, July 2021: 0.0 mg - drug free!

Supplements: linseed oil for omega3 (can't tolerate fishoil), magnesium, B12 and folate

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, bayernbaby said:

...having slight headache on Day 5 of first 10% tapering. It's tolerable, but would like to know if it's ok to take ibuprofen if it gets worse...just want to be prepared on what to do IN CASE...

Thanks!

bayernbaby

You may want to look at your symptoms as teachers and guides and right now, they're telling you that your nervous system is struggling. Getting upticks in any symptoms, including headaches, is an indication that you're tapering too much. You may want to switch to a micro taper. Please see:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Please post your thoughts on this after you have a chance to read over these links. It's much better to slow your taper rate down then to medicate them, even with OTC drugs. Those symptoms, when seen as teachers as guides, can help you navigate your way off these drugs with as few symptoms as possible. 

Shep,

thanks for your suggestion to micro-taper! Today is Day 7 of my initial 10% tapering; since Day 4 I have a 'slight' headache...it is manageable and I have not taken any medication for it. But it has shown me that my initial goal of 10% tapering per week is not doable as all of you have told me when I initially posted my story.

I will stay at the current dose at least for 1 more week, more likely the next 3 weeks, and see how it goes (withdrawal symptoms - AT THIS TIME - do not warrant me to go back to the 20 mg). I plan on doing a micro-tapering at the next taper.

I've learned so much on this forum and I'm so grateful for all the support.

Everybody take care,

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, bayernbaby said:

withdrawal symptoms - AT THIS TIME - do not warrant me to go back to the 20 mg

When updosing we suggest increasing by small amount, not going back up the "full" dose, and not going back to the last dose.  A tiny updose might help to take the edge off unbearable symptoms.

If you do decide to increase you might find that increasing to 16.5mg might be enough.

22 minutes ago, bayernbaby said:

But it has shown me that my initial goal of 10% tapering per week is not doable as all of you have told me when I initially posted my story.

And taking this in a positive way, at least you have found out early on in the piece so you now know not to taper faster than 10% every 4 weeks.  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

When updosing we suggest increasing by small amount, not going back up the "full" dose, and not going back to the last dose.  A tiny updose might help to take the edge off unbearable symptoms.

If you do decide to increase you might find that increasing to 16.5mg might be enough.

...so you are absolutely correct: since this headache (again, not very bad, but constant) has been with me since Day 4, yesterday Day 7 I added 5 beads -- of the 11 (10% of the initial # of beads) taken out at first taper -- back into today's and tomorrow's capsules and took my Day 8 capsule this morning...my headache (which was present when I woke up) is almost gone so I'll hold at this dose for a week? before trying to get back to the total of 11 beads removed...is this the correct approach? I've read the links you provided, but my sense is that it is still a "watch and act accordingly" INDIVIDUAL micro-tapering process. At this point slight nausea early morning on SOME days and this headache are my only WD symptoms...I've not noticed any emotional changes (yet?).

Thanks for your input, ChessieCat! You're spot-on (as all of you are)!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, bayernbaby said:

I'll hold at this dose for a week?

When updosing/reinstating, you need to let your system get accustomed to the updose.  You should hold at the new dose for at least a month.  Then, after you've stabilized, taper slowly.  Again, we recommend no faster than 10% or less every four weeks.  Every time you taper too fast and then have to updose, you destabilize your system and lessen the chance that the updose will work.

It takes the effects of an updose about a week to be fully felt.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Gridley,

I got it! Thanks for clarifying...it seems insane that it will take me MANY many more months to get off this s*** than I was on it, but it clearly makes sense...I bet most docs who prescribe these AD's have no CLUE what it takes to get off them, even when the prescribed dose was the lowest one. *sigh*

Thanks again to everybody!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

...yesterday I had a doctor appointment and told GP that I want to get off the duloxetine due to very unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects which  also affected my sleep. I told GP that my research showed that getting off the med could possibly cause severe withdrawal symptoms...what taper would she suggest. She told me to take 1 capsule EVERY OTHER DAY for 10 days and I should then be weaned off the medication!

Needless to say, I will not follow that protocol, but stick to my current tapering schedule (currently still holding at 5% reduction of original 20 mg dose).

But it showed me that docs do not know what can happen when you taper at doc's suggested rate. She did say that "some folks have no problem getting off it, other have mild issues; it depends on the individual". 

Everyone, take care!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, bayernbaby said:

EVERY OTHER DAY for 1

We strongly counsel against every other day tapering.  It causes the amount of the medication in your bloodstream to go up and down, battering your nervous system and making withdrawal worse.  It's like playing ping pong with your brain.

As we said earlier, we recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some have to go more slowly.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Doctors know nothing about safe tapering or withdrawal.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

We strongly counsel against every other day tapering.  It causes the amount of the medication in your bloodstream to go up and down, battering your nervous system and making withdrawal worse.  It's like playing ping pong with your brain.

Doctors know nothing about safe tapering or withdrawal.

Yup, that is evident once again! I'm sure my body would feel like a ping pong ball being "swatted" back and forth. INSANITY!
I will send GP a note with references about how tapering is done properly! (I did not have the time at visit).

I've said it before, I'll say it again: SOOOOO GLAD I've found this site and its support!

Bless you all!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, bayernbaby said:

I want to get off the duloxetine ... what taper would she suggest. She told me to take 1 capsule EVERY OTHER DAY

Duloxetine has a half life ~12 hours.  Q:  Are you taking it twice daily?

Taking a drug with a ~24 hour half life every second day would be bad enough, but taking a drug with a ~12 hour half life on alternate days would probably be disastrous.

ChessieCat,

5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Duloxetine has a half life ~12 hours.  Q:  Are you taking it twice daily?

No! Taking 1 capsule every morning, alas 5% reduced since Aug 15!

5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Taking a drug with a ~24 hour half life every second day would be bad enough, but taking a drug with a ~12 hour half life on alternate days would probably be disastrous.

That was my thinking when doc gave me that nonsense tapering schedule *ARGH*

of course that is what I thought! As you may remember, I have been on a S.L.O.W. taper for 12 days now and will not abandon it!!! 

I have done enough reading and have gotten "schooled" by fantastic moderators/leaders/members of this forum) to know better than to follow a "1 day on, 1 day off" tapering schedule!

I did want to see what kind of taper the doctor (who put me on duloxetine) would suggest and my worst fears were confirmed. I will send her documentation (including info from Dr. Glenmullen - another DOC! maybe that gets taken seriously) to support how a successful taper should look like. 

Take care,

bayernbaby

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed up quoting and responses

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

just wanted to give a quick update that my tapering is going well...on my second 5% reduction since over 1 week and holding steady...feeling hardly any side effects (occasionally feeling a "pull" under the scalp, doesn't feel like brain zap, just a sensation...maybe new neural Autobahns being created? Ha! At my age, probably only back roads, nothing wrong with that *lol*).

I'm so glad moderators convinced me to taper slower than 10%! Hope everyone starting out on a taper READS, READS, READS, asks questions and chooses the best path best for THEIR brain/body!

Be well!

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear your tapering is going well bayernbaby, 

I’m actually tapering by around 4% or so every six to eight weeks. I still go through waves with each taper though. I can’t do any higher drops than that otherwise I get really severe akathisia. I’m really happy to read that you have hardly had any symptoms yet with your last taper. Yay!🎉

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

13 hours ago, Carmie said:

Glad to hear your tapering is going well bayernbaby, 

I’m actually tapering by around 4% or so every six to eight weeks. I still go through waves with each taper though. I can’t do any higher drops than that otherwise I get really severe akathisia. I’m really happy to read that you have hardly had any symptoms yet with your last taper. Yay!🎉

Sending hugs🤗

Hi Carmie,

thanks for your note! I get what you're taking about (going through waves); and it p*****s me off that my taper will be longer than the 2 months I was on this medication (when I should never have been put on it in my mind) and that I have to spend more $'s on this! But it is what it is, right?

So appreciate all the support we're getting from this site! What a life safer it is!

(((sending hugs back to Australia - binge watching with my mom-in-law "A Place to call Home" and loving the landscape)))

bayernbaby

My current meds are:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi bayernbaby, 

It certainly is what it is, as you said. We can’t change it so it’s no use looking backwards. We just have to keep moving forward. Slow and steady does it. We will get there eventually.

My start with these meds was because of chronic pain, and it was downhill from there. Was put on and off so many medications. I’m only on one now. 

Yes, I love Australia, it’s a beautiful place. I love the beaches and the countryside. I’m a big fan of nature. I live in the City but there are bushfires up and down the Coast at the moment, it’s been very dry. There are smoke particles here in the City and my eyes have been burning and I’ve had a runny nose. The poor hard working fire fighters have had their job cut out for them, as we had a few days of really strong winds. I’m sure they’ll be glad when the fires are under control.

Anyway, it’s one day at a time with withdrawals and when waves are really bad it’s a minute a time sometimes. We can do this!!

Again, I’m very glad your taper has been going well, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.