The Importance of Having a Life Purpose

Giulietta

From recently published research on JAMA Network Open, "...having a sense of purpose in life is associated with both physical and mental health and overall quality of life. Purposeful living has been defined in various ways. In general, purpose in life can be defined as “a self-organizing life aim that stimulates goals, ”promotes healthy behaviors, and gives meaning to life."

Per the research on a cohort of nearly 7000 people over the age of 50, lack of life purpose is a modifiable risk factor associated with a higher level of mortality.  [This research, like all, has limitations.]

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2734064?utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=052419

On the eve of a bright new year - my 2nd in  WD  - I am trying to develop goals that give meaning to my life.  Since 2015, when I stopped working full-time, involuntarily, my purpose disintegrated. Not working is just one of the  ways a person loses his or her sense life purpose. There are other ways to create purpose.

Is anyone else attempting to formulate or consider new or existing goals while in WD?  Or are they trying to get through day by day?

The article cites interventions to improve life purpose, quality of life and various health outcomes with the goal of improving life purpose are volunteering, well-being therapy, and meditations. Mindfulness is also cited as one component of life purpose.

JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(5):e194270. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.4270

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy