Profoundanguish: tapering off Bupropion XL

Profoundanguish

I decided I didn't want to continue taking anti depressants anymore, I always intended to take them short term. I live in Alabama currently and the mental health programs out here are pretty terrible, I can't get an actual psychiatrist, I've had my doctor mess up my rx several times and I just want to be done with it. I have noticed that I have been dealing with the blurry vision up close issue for about two weeks now and it's a little worrisome. My dr after I asked to taper off suggested I cut the 150 mg XL in half and take half a day and then in two weeks to do every other day for a month. I tried that for a few days and felt REALLY irritable towards the end of the day. I was dragging and had low energy and fatigue. I did some research came across the forum and decided to take matters into my own hands. A while back when my dr messed up my rx I was prescribed bupropion 100 mg, I have about two months worth of that. I cut those in half and been doing the half of XL (75mg) and then the half of the regular bupropion (50mg) six hours later it helped for a couple days but now I find myself fatigued in the middle of the day and the blurry vision has returned. I don't normally eat a lot throughout the day due to a low appetite. I don't know if my issues is due to the lower dosage, which isn't a significant jump, 150mg to 125mg. Perhaps I need to increase back up? or will I adjust in a few days? Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Edited by manymoretodays
moved to introductions from S and S care, added name to title

Jan 2019 Began taking buproprion 75 mg once a day

March 2019? Dose went up to 100mg a day

( I don't remember when I switched to slow release and when I went to XL I must have gone to XL during late 2019 

March 2020 began to start tapering went from 150 mg of buproprion xl to 75mg xl once a day 50 mg buproprion in the afternoon.

May 2020 began taking 25mg in the morning and 25 mg in the afternoon but then started going down to just once a day.

June 2020 due to move and wanting to taper off completely since I was going to be without a dr due to the transition to new healthcare I stopped taking it for several days. Went back up to 25mg a day

• manymoretodays changed the title to Profoundanguish: Tapering off Bupropion XL
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Profoundanguish.

Your symptoms are likely due to a couple of things.  First, every other day dosing is a terrible way to taper, virtually guaranteed to bring on withdrawal symptoms.  Blurry vision and irritability are typical withdrawal symptoms.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Second, when you cut your XR in half it becomes immediate release, so that may account for your middle of the day symptoms.

But what you've done really isn't bad and much better than the doctor's approach.  I wouldn't go back up to 150.  I'd hold where you are for two weeks to a month to let your system stabilize, then you could start your taper as described in the link below, Tips for Tapering off Buproprion.

Normally we recommend tapering by 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Buprorpion is something of an exception to that rule, and many people can taper faster. Please read and follow the very specific instructions in the following link. 

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 months later...

Tapering off Bupropion

I had begun to taper off of Buproprion back in March. I was originally taking the XL went down quite a bit swapped over to just the regular buproprion, I had gone down to ~25ish mg in the morning and at night (It was a 100mg that was cut into quarters. ) Despite the pandemic I continued to taper, I thought because I've gone through most of my life without anti depressants and the cause for me to go on them was gone that I would be able to manage without. I then Moved earlier this month back home with family and with the move and driving and everything I had stopped taking them because It was too much to keep track and I figured that I was taking a low enough of a dose that I'd be ok. I been struggling now, I decided to go back up to my 25mg a day dose but now I been having anxiety. I am guessing because I wasn't taking it steadily for a few weeks and then went back on. As much as I'd love to not rely on them I feel like with the pandemic, a breakup, moving back with my family...a lot of stuff that causes me stress/depression, that it's not realistic for me at this time to taper. Should I just go back to having 25mg in the morning and afternoon? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

( I don't remember when I switched to slow release and when I went to XL I must have gone to XL during late 2019 

March 2020 began to start tapering went from 150 mg of buproprion xl to 75mg xl once a day 50 mg buproprion in the afternoon.

May 2020 began taking 25mg in the morning and 25 mg in the afternoon but then started going down to just once a day.

June 2020 due to move and wanting to taper off completely since I was going to be without a dr due to the transition to new healthcare I stopped taking it for several days. Went back up to 25mg a day

• Moderator Emeritus

Please ask questions here in your Introduction topic.  Thank you.

I've ask the other mods for their assistance.  Someone will respond as soon as they are able to.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, PA.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, Profoundanguish said:

A while back when my dr messed up my rx I was prescribed bupropion 100 mg, I have about two months worth of that. I cut those in half and been doing the half of XL (75mg) and then the half of the regular bupropion (50mg) six hours later it helped for a couple days but now I find myself fatigued in the middle of the day and the blurry vision has returned.

Did bupropion used to make you tired or peppy? How's your sleep? Has it changed since you reduced your dosage?

It is known to be an appetite suppressant.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It never made me tired or peppy, I did have a lot more energy which helped with motivation. I did have to reduce my coffee intake in the beginning because It was providing enough energy. Since I reduced my dosage, I've had the blurry vision symptoms and irritability. I also been a lot more groggy and tired. I am struggling with motivation as well. I been taking 25mg a day for a few days now so I am hoping that will help. 

• Administrator

Bupropion can be stimulating. It may be your body needs to reset because the stimulation is reduced.

What times of day do you take bupropion, at what dosages? How's your sleep?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I take it in the morning around 9-10 am. I was taking it previously once in the morning and once around 3-5pm but went down to just the morning dose. My sleep has been good, I haven't had an issues falling asleep. I have noticed that since I started taking it again in the morning I been going to bed a little later, I was going to bed around 10-11pm and now that I started taking my morning dose again I've been up until 1am. It's not an issue I still fall asleep and get good rest, I am not up unable to sleep, I just am not exhausted like I was.

• Administrator

When you went off, how much were you taking?

21 hours ago, Profoundanguish said:

I then Moved earlier this month back home with family and with the move and driving and everything I had stopped taking them because It was too much to keep track and I figured that I was taking a low enough of a dose that I'd be ok. I been struggling now, I decided to go back up to my 25mg a day dose but now I been having anxiety. I am guessing because I wasn't taking it steadily for a few weeks and then went back on. As much as I'd love to not rely on them I feel like with the pandemic, a breakup, moving back with my family...a lot of stuff that causes me stress/depression, that it's not realistic for me at this time to taper. Should I just go back to having 25mg in the morning and afternoon? 

When does this anxiety occur? Are there any other symptoms you associate with buproprion?

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

I was taking 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening. The anxiety occurs in the early afternoon. Whenever I reduced my dosage I'd have the blurry vision as well. That and Irritability seem to be my only symptoms. 

• Administrator

You take 25mg buproprion in the morning, correct? You might be having some unmasked withdrawal symptoms in the afternoon, when the 25mg wears off.

What time of day do you take bupropion in the morning? Approximately when in the afternoon does the anxiety appear?

Do this: Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Yes, I take it in the morning around 9-10 in the am. It's usually around 1-3pm when I start feeling the anxiety. Ideally, I'd like to be off them but it seems like perhaps the timing isn't great. The anxiety/irritability makes it super difficult for me to be motivated or productive. I have low energy and feel very depressed when I wasn't taking it and it's been hard for me to distinguish if that's a side effect of the withdrawal or if it's just a result of all the changes in my life. Either way it makes it really difficult for me to get things done during the day. 

• Administrator

Thanks for your drug history.

What I would do is take 12.5mg buproprion at 9 a.m. and 12.5 at noon. Do this by gradually moving 12.5mg by an hour each day until you're taking it later in the day.

Please take care to take the same dosages at the same times each day. This explains how to take a small dose Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

This should smooth out the symptom pattern without disturbing your sleep. Once you get your schedule settled, you might start to very gradually reduce the total daily dosage by reducing each of your 2 doses. This probably will require your making a liquid from immediate-release (regular) bupropion.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Alright, I've been taking it this way for a few days now and it's helped quite a bit. I had a day or two with blurry vision but I've been a lot less irritable and the anxiety has reduced quite a bit. I do find it hard to cut the pills in quarters, I have a pill cutter. I have been noticed quite a lot less sluggishness and I been able to stay up a bit later in the evening. 

• 1 month later...

I was taking half of a quarter in the am and pm but have noticed that I have been a bit depressed last few weeks. I was really hesitant on going back up on my dose because I really do not want to be dependent on medication but the current situation (pandemic and other changes) is making it difficult for me to really feel ready to go off them.

• Administrator

What do you mean by "depressed"?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Profoundanguish: tapering off Bupropion XL
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What do you mean by "depressed"?

The isolation from quarantine, the lack of a support group in my life currently, The ending of a relationship earlier this year, moving back home to live with family all have created a lot of sadness and loneliness for me. I am sleeping better, I was sleeping a lot more and waking up tired for a while. I just feel sad a lot.

• Administrator

From what I can tell, everybody feel sad now when they're not feeling low-level anxiety.

This is life for all of us. It's an existential reality. You'd do much better for yourself by learning non-drug coping mechanisms -- you'll use them the rest of your life.

We all have to figure out how to take care of ourselves emotionally now. Try some of these techniques:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

If I were you, I'd unpatient myself and sleep better rather than continue in the hamster wheel and take bupropion.

Unpatient myself? You mean continue tapering off? It does feel like a hamster wheel and a crutch. 

• Administrator

No, what I mean is stop thinking of yourself as a person who needs a drug to manage emotions, which may be normal.