Antidepressants and brain damage

meistersinger

This scared the living daylights out of me, as it described my situation. I can't stop crying, let alone sleep.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Administrator

This man had an immediate severe adverse reaction to SSRIs. I don't believe that is your situation, ms.

A small number of people are sensitive in this way to serotonergics. These are the people who had bad trips on LSD. Even though they may take only few doses of the SSRI, after quitting these people suffer symptoms similar to what we know as withdrawal syndrome -- more evidence that it's neurological destabilization.

In many ways, other members in our community have had similar symptom patterns.

If these stories disturb you, I suggest you stop looking for bad news, because you will find it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

In my experience, I find thinking about and doing things unrelated tommy current health crisis is some of the best medicine.

It's hard though. I've had a lot go on and I spend a lot of time looking up stuff, researching.... I definitely get carried away. But it is rational. After what I've been through, both the effects and after effects, I need to have baseline understanding because I can't just follow doctors orders or accept their comments about how mysterious my presentation -- because I have to know something about this since they will not and their prescriptions can injure me.

. But at some point, I find I end up in fear or anxiety or irrationality.

Sometimes, I just need to remember that time tends to sort these things out and relaxing and distracting myself from my symptoms is a frequently useful treatment.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy