Jimmyv: hello - almost a year into WD

Jimmyv

I started this journey in Aug 19’. Luckily I learned about wd before it happened because I would not have expected a “medicine” would have such horrible reactions in your body. After going thru therapy for many years to manage my anxiety it was suggested to me that I talk to a psychiatrist to see what they could do for me. I was always weary about medications but I told myself that I needed to just trust the dr when she prescribed me 10mg Prozac. It was fine for the first 18 days, after this I came down with what I thought was a stomach bug. I couldn’t eat, had bad GI issues and was extremely dizzy.  It was not a normal dizziness though more of a pressure or stuffiness between my eyes and forehead area. I also had really bad insomnia which I thought was from the illness. I went to my GP who agreed I probably had a stomach bug. After 2 weeks of this stomach bug and some research on SSRI I called my psychiatrist and told her my symptoms. She told me to stop taking the Prozac and that antidepressants were not for me. She said she wanted to help me find a good talk therapist. She also told me I would not go through discontinuation syndrome because of the low dose and short amount of time I was on it. I slowly started to feel better over the next 2 weeks then all at once I woke up from my sleep with horrible GERD, dizziness and heart palpitations. Over the next few months I experienced insomnia, heart palpitations, horrible GERD that ppi’s could not control, insomnia, brain zaps, and horrible anxiety and panic attacks which are far worse than before the Prozac. My GP told me it could not be from the Prozac cause it would have been out of my system. I now have a new GP. I also went to a cardiologist and GI who have checked me out and said I am ok. I found a therapist who listens to me and tries many different therapies to help me but I think what helps the most is that she doesn’t think I am making this all up. 
Since my first three months of wd I still have some heart palpitations, some periods of dizziness, worse anxiety and sometimes have panic attacks but most of the other symptoms have subsided or happen infrequently. 
I still feel I have some time to go To get all the way through this and I have times where I feel I will be going thru this forever but I try to stay positive and use some techniques I learned in therapy to cope with the bad times. 

Edited by Gridley

July 1 thru 30 2019

10mg Prozac

CT off Prozac August 2019

Jimmy - really happy to hear that you are starting to climb out of this and that you started experiencing some lessening of sx after 3 mths! I wish I could say the same.  Are there any supplements or techniques that you've tried that really have helped more than others?

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Jimmyv

Welcome to SA, Jimmyv.

You apparently had an adverse reaction to Prozac, which basically means the drug is like poison to you.  Your body rejected it and in so doing threw your system into chaos.  It's a very good sign that your symptoms are beginning to subside.  While we can't predict how long it will take, you will recover.

Though the causes are very different, the symptoms caused by an adverse reaction are similar to those of withdrawal.  The symptoms you describe are typical of adverse reaction/withdrawal.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

You mentioned using techniques learned in therapy to copy.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which you think might be helpful to you in coping with your symptoms.

Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi NoMoreLexapro,

As far as supplements go I tried fish oil and magnesium but i can’t say if they had a positive effect on anything. I am weary of taking any types of supplements overall. I think that the talk therapy with a therapist who is understanding of the situation I was in helps the most. I still go through the waves and windows but they are fewer and far between and still remind myself that these symptoms will go away eventually. I also try to find something to look forward to when I am through this. 

Edited by Jimmyv
Clarification of who I was responding to.

July 1 thru 30 2019

10mg Prozac

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy,

how are you going now?

my story is pretty similar to yours. I was prescribed Prozac for irritability and after two months had a severe reaction and ended up in emergency, my heart rate was 130bpm for 6 hours, followed by days of anxiety etc. I’ve been off the drug since March now and am still getting the heart palpitations and waves of anxiety. My doctor also does not believe it could be the medication. 
it’s horrible to feel like this, good to know I’m not the only one.

2020 Fluoxetine (Prozac) 30th January 10mg upped after two weeks to 20mg in February. 

11 March tamper 10mg - 5mg - 2.5 mg over 2 weeks. Completely off by 23 March 2020. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jimmyv: hello - almost a year into WD
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jimmy and a belated welcome to SA.

We ask all members to create a drug signature so that the moderators and members can see your history at a glance.  Please create your drug signature.  Please include any other drugs you have previously or are currently taking.  Instructions for what is needed:  please-summarize-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

This link goes to your signature.  Remember to Save after creating/editing it.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Ris,

I never thought that anyone would have a reaction like we did. It is good to know others have struggled with the same syndrome after taking these drugs. After 11 months I am doing a lot better from the first few months I started getting symptoms. In fact most days I feel pretty good compared to then. The anxiety, panic attacks and heart palpitations are still there but they happen less frequently and my cardiologist checked my palpitations which are just PVCs which everyone gets to some degree and can come on from a panic attack or anxiety. I also get the dizzy brain fog feeling and vivid dreams from time to time but not frequently. I’m sorry you are going thru this but it helps to remind yourself that you will get through this and it will get better. 
In my opinion having a good doctor check you out gives you piece of mind and helps calm some of the anxiety. That Dr doesn’t necessarily have to believe that it is the Prozac that got you here but they shouldn’t dismiss anything you are feeling because of your opinions of the drug and it’s effects either. Also having a good therapist who you see regularly helps a lot too. I hope you feel better soon. 

July 1 thru 30 2019

10mg Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management