Kalmar: road to drug free life

Kalmar

Hello!

My name is Kalmar I am 36 years old. I am longterm Paroxetine user. First i got this drug for my panic attacks and anxiety disorder with mild depression in 2005. Since then i was on 20 mg and felt good with only few side effects like excess sweating at night and sometimes dizziness. In year 2018 aroud I have decided to tapper off. I did small cuts with scale every month. Cuts ware 10%. In 2 years i manage to tapper and reached 5 mg I think under 8 mg i started to feel WD symptoms or my anxiety came back because before I think drug just masked my anxiety. I never did any therapy for my anxiety. So i think under 8 mg i felt worse and at 5 mg i just crashed one day in 2019 in November. I had major panic attacks daily with agoraphobia I was not able to go somewhere like cinema, restaurant and etc, postponed my job because I felt very bad, doctor told me to get back on my drugs. In Feb of 2020 after 2 months of daily panic attacks and anxiety I have upped my dose to 10 mg. Since then I am on 10 mg. It took me 2 months to stabilize and I think now i feel good, i don't have panic attacks since Feb but i am getting anxiety but it's not strong so I can manage my anxiety with breathing, relaxation, meditation and now I am doing Cognitive behavior therapy. I would like to taper again but I am afraid. Like my brain just telling me what if i will hit bad wall again and etc... I read topic here about tapering and etc for me is all clear. But I am very scary to begin it. How to found courage to start it again? Maybe i should start 5% tapering?

Beside Paroxetine all those years i have used Diazepam 1-2 mg per day. I am Diazepam free since April 1st and don't feel any wd symptoms from it. All my felt overs are in the trash bin. Sometimes if i have anxiety i feel urge for diazepam because it's more easy to take that pill then start meditation or other relaxation thing. But generally I am feeling good without Diazepam. What else I am doing. I am working now from 9 till 5 trying to be active everyday eating healthy I don't have weight issues or any other physical condition. I am taking Omega 3 every morning and sometimes Magnesium in the evening but not always. Sometimes face skin feels like very hot inside kind of burning usually few hours after my Paroxetine pill my face is not red but inside feels burning hot. I think it's side effect or maybe physical symptom of anxiety I don't know but I have this sensation for years. On 20 mg I had problems with ejeculation it was very difficult and took hour for me now i don't have it anymore since under 15 mg. 

It is nice to know that I am not alone in my battle with drugs!

Edited by Gridley

Paroxetine since 2005 20mg

Paroxetine since 2020 Januari 10 mg

Paroxetine 25-09-2020 -5% currently 9.5mg

Paroxetine 15-04-2021 9 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Kalmar.

As I understand it, you updated to 10mg in February and stabilized after two months, which would be April.  Do you feel stable enough to begin tapering again?

You mentioned a 5% taper instead of 10%, which is certainly an option.  There are two other tapering methods you could consider.  One is the Brassmonkey slide taper, which instead of one large decrease every four weeks, the decrease is divided into four weekly 2 1/2% decrees followed by a 2-week hold.  You could do it more slowly, with four 1% decreases.  This link explains the taper:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

A micro-taper is another option.. This is the gentlest way to come off these drugs. 

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Regarding magnesium, we recommend taking a small dose throughout the day to help with anxiety.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 8/21/2020 at 6:02 PM, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, Kalmar.

As I understand it, you updated to 10mg in February and stabilized after two months, which would be April.  Do you feel stable enough to begin tapering again?

You mentioned a 5% taper instead of 10%, which is certainly an option.  There are two other tapering methods you could consider.  One is the Brassmonkey slide taper, which instead of one large decrease every four weeks, the decrease is divided into four weekly 2 1/2% decrees followed by a 2-week hold.  You could do it more slowly, with four 1% decreases.  This link explains the taper:

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

A micro-taper is another option.. This is the gentlest way to come off these drugs. 

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Regarding magnesium, we recommend taking a small dose throughout the day to help with anxiety.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Yes I am good I have anxiety here and there but nothing strong. I am taking sometimes magnesium, but don't feel anything from it no good no bad :)

Somehow I need to start my tapering but I am afraid. Because last time I was in hell all of nowhere one day I just got panic attack and the more and more until I was in constant anxiety and panic attacks.

My biggest problem is that I am afraid to cut my drugs I want but so bloody afraid. Don't know how to push myself. I am getting tons of question what if what if... Now luckly my dose increase worked and I was able to stabilise but if I will get same symptoms again and then updose will be not effective... Questions questions in my head don't know how to get rid of them. First time tapering for me was very easy I don't had any questions in my head i just did it.

• Moderator Emeritus

6 minutes ago, Kalmar said:

I am taking sometimes magnesium

You might consider taking a small amount several times throughout the day.  Many members report it has a calming effect, and if it does for you, that would let you consider your tapering options more clearly.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

So guys today I have started my tapering again. First cut of 10% then we will see how I react to this. Basically I am scary because I think WD symptoms will hit me bad again. Sometimes during the day i have dizziness and kind of bad balance usually few hours after my Paroxetine dose and lasts 3-4 hours can it be from my drugs? Or it's my anxiety symptom I don't understand. Also I am reading much about SSRI and it makes me anxious. Article like this: https://www.massmecfs.org/resource-library/9-treatment/117-x-dr-cheney-warns-against-long-term-use-of-ssrls-and-stilmulants

What if my brain is damaged after long term use of SSRI? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Kalmar

40 minutes ago, Kalmar said:

What if my brain is damaged after long term use of SSRI? 

Thanks to thousand testimonies here, we know that people tend to heal and recover with time.

Best way we know to mitigate withdrawal symptoms is to go very slowly in order to give enough time to the CNS to do his adjustments work. 

It doesn't necessarily have to be 10% drops : some people find they have to go slower. I personnaly did 3% drops during my Paroxetine taper and had very little symptoms, sometimes none.

There is no rush : the goal is to find the pace that suits to your CNS.

If you're feeling a lot of anxiety, you might want to focus on selfcare and non drug coping skills before tapering again.

--》 Question : do you drink alcohol ?

I cannot insist enough on the importance of avoiding alcohol during a taper. A lot of folks find that alcohol worsen their symptoms.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:06 AM, Gridley said:

You might consider taking a small amount several times throughout the day.  Many members report it has a calming effect, and if it does for you, that would let you consider your tapering options more clearly.

Have you considered Gridley 's suggestion about magnesium ?

On 8/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, Kalmar said:

Beside Paroxetine all those years i have used Diazepam 1-2 mg per day. I am Diazepam free since April 1st and don't feel any wd symptoms from it. All my felt overs are in the trash bin. Sometimes if i have anxiety i feel urge for diazepam because it's more easy to take that pill then start meditation or other relaxation thing. But generally I am feeling good without Diazepam. 

Can you please incluse Diazepam infos in your signature?

How did you taper Diazepam?

Do you still take sometimes  ?

Take care ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

2 hours ago, Erell said:

Hello Kalmar

Thanks to thousand testimonies here, we know that people tend to heal and recover with time.

Best way we know to mitigate withdrawal symptoms is to go very slowly in order to give enough time to the CNS to do his adjustments work. 

It doesn't necessarily have to be 10% drops : some people find they have to go slower. I personnaly did 3% drops during my Paroxetine taper and had very little symptoms, sometimes none.

There is no rush : the goal is to find the pace that suits to your CNS.

If you're feeling a lot of anxiety, you might want to focus on selfcare and non drug coping skills before tapering again.

--》 Question : do you drink alcohol ?

I cannot insist enough on the importance of avoiding alcohol during a taper. A lot of folks find that alcohol worsen their symptoms.

Have you considered Gridley 's suggestion about magnesium ?

Can you please incluse Diazepam infos in your signature?

How did you taper Diazepam?

Do you still take sometimes  ?

Take care ☀️

No I don't drink at all probably is good for me :D

I am taking magnesium sometimes but I don't feal any good or bad from it. No I don't take Diazepam basically my last dose was in April. I had some WD but not strong first month and later all dissapeared.

• 3 weeks later...

dropped my to 5% last week so far so good :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have information how Paroxetine reacts if you have covid19? I kind of worry about all this covid19...

• 1 month later...

So for now I am on hold with my tappering i feel most of the time good, some nights bad sleep, but at least if i fall a sleep I sleep good for 7 hours. We have a lot of Covid19 cases in my city and country that's why I am on hold. Don't want to distress my body with tapering in current situation with pandemic.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy NY!

How are you guys? I am good. I have few symptoms but not everyday (dizziness when I am walking for an hour, my face burns in the evening until 10PM) I don't know it is WD symtoms or from drug or maybe my anxiety I had then on 20mg so probably side effects from drug or my anxiety. Anyways I feel good most of the time I think it's more important than few symptoms.

Another question, what to do with covid19 vaccine? Because nobody knows interactions with SSRI... I am so afraid to take it. For me vaccine success story is similar to SSRI story (great drug, no WD, very effective) until you are not in group of people who have bad things). Btw i did covid19 antibody test and I am positive 🤯 I had no symptoms so probably I was asymptomatic. Maybe it is true that SSRI have antiviral function. Since i started SSRI in 15 years never had any flu, my cold sickness always was light for a day. My gf was a lot of times with bad flu and cold in bed for a week and we always slept together I never had anything bad. Strange but maybe it's due to SSRI who knows.

https://elemental.medium.com/psychiatric-drugs-could-be-the-key-to-treating-covid-19-cb6d703e2d0f

Also I am bit worried about it:

The researchers reviewed studies involving hundreds of thousands of people and found that antidepressant users had a 33% higher chance of death than non-users. Antidepressant users also had a 14% higher risk of cardiovascular events, such as strokes and heart attacks. The findings were published in the journal Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.

• Mentor
19 hours ago, Kalmar said:

Happy NY!

How are you guys? I am good. I have few symptoms but not everyday (dizziness when I am walking for an hour, my face burns in the evening until 10PM) I don't know it is WD symtoms or from drug or maybe my anxiety I had then on 20mg so probably side effects from drug or my anxiety. Anyways I feel good most of the time I think it's more important than few symptoms.

Another question, what to do with covid19 vaccine? Because nobody knows interactions with SSRI... I am so afraid to take it. For me vaccine success story is similar to SSRI story (great drug, no WD, very effective) until you are not in group of people who have bad things). Btw i did covid19 antibody test and I am positive 🤯 I had no symptoms so probably I was asymptomatic. Maybe it is true that SSRI have antiviral function. Since i started SSRI in 15 years never had any flu, my cold sickness always was light for a day. My gf was a lot of times with bad flu and cold in bed for a week and we always slept together I never had anything bad. Strange but maybe it's due to SSRI who knows.

https://elemental.medium.com/psychiatric-drugs-could-be-the-key-to-treating-covid-19-cb6d703e2d0f

Hey! Happy New Years to you as well!! You are doing well with your taper that is great to read! 

I found while I was on paxil that I did not get flus or colds either. I wish I would of gotten inflammation tests while on the drugs and compared them to now when I am off them. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Hi Kalmar!

Happy new year to you too! :)Great job on re-starting your taper again and your decision to holding your current dose for while with the whole pandemic going on! I also wanted to get of Paroxetine because of the nasty side-effects.

Dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom, do you only get it after you have been walking for a hour? You could try looking in this the topic about exercise on SA to get some more information: (https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/10726-exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you/)

Regarding the magnesium, what kind of tablets did you try? There are tablets that contain additional ingredients that can interfere with the calming effect it has on most people. You can find some more information here: (https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/10726-exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you/)

One of the non-drug coping techniques (that Erell was talking about) that helped me with feeling a lot of anxiety due to withdrawal is to stop feeding it. For me that meant stop watching the news and stop playing detective on the internet by, for example googling every bodily sensation I experienced. 

Take care!

1998-1999: Got prescribed Paxil

2001: 60mg Paxil per/day
2003 - 2010:  (tried a cold turkey stop attempt) ended up with 20mg
2014 - 2016: Started tapering together with GP
2016: Went from 5mg to 0mg
Early 2017: Started with Paxil again 20mg
2018: Second tapering try
2018: Went from 20mg to 10mg
2019: Went from 10mg to 5mg
2020: Went from 5mg to 0mg with liquid Paxil (20% steps)
Paxil free since august 2020

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

How are you? I am fine. Still holding. No major wd symptoms, sometimes dizziness for a second or two very strong feels like I will fall lol

I don't know why but not happening often once twice per week. Also i feel little bit lonely and down somedays because of pandemic and lack of social contacts.

Hi Kalmar

The covid lockdowns and social distancing are tough indeed. I am an extrovert that strongly needs social interactions so I am having a difficult time too. I do have an iphone so I get to "facetime" my friends and family when we talk. It has helped immensely. Connecting on SA also helps because we all understand the WD so have things in common even though we have never met. 

I am glad you are doing well with WD!

Lucy

Paxil  07/1997 - 10/1998 Quit CT  

Neurontin, topamax, trazadone,  ssri AD (don't remember which one) 12/1998 - 06/1999 CT everything

Eflexor Xanax  04/2000 -08/2000 CT  ***01/2008-05/2013 on/off lexapro, lamictalseroquelsaphris, pristiq  Start/Stop CT at intervals 

Zoloft 200 mg 07/2013  WD 04/3/20 - 04/8/20 Quit

Seroquel 800 mg 07/2013 2013 *400 mg 07/2019  *** WD 04/15/2020 - 06/19/20 Quit

Ambien 10 mg 07/2013  WD 5 mg 04/29/2020, 2.5 mg 12/24/20, 1.66 mg 01/21/2021, 1.25 mg 02/16/2021 *** 02/22/2021 Quit

Xanax  2 mg prn 07/2013 - 04/23/20 Quit CT

Lamictal 150 mg 07/2013 WD 05/06/20 -06/11/2020 Quit

Propranolol 03/21/2020 - 04/20/2020 Quit CT

Hydroxyzine  12/14/2020 - 12/27/20 Quit

Allegra 24 hr 01/11/21 Flonase Nasal Spray 01/11/21

Magnesium Glycinate 100mg x3 daily D3 5000iu daily 

• 2 months later...

I am holding my Paroxetine 9.5 mg. I feel good but sometimes I get dizzy and some nights I am not able to fall a sleep until 2-3 AM. But I know that my sleep hygiene is not good, phone before bed, Youtube and etc. Now I am trying 1 hour before bed don't use it. We will see. I don't have panic attacks over a month I have flight to my family. 2 hours flight and I am scary now. What if panic attack will hit me there? I can't go out. I am always afraid of flights. But in the past I had Diazepam and used it before my boarding. Now I am benzo free for a year or even more and don't want use this crap anymore. So my mind is racing. Many question, what if what if? I am not afraid of panic attack but afraid that other people can see me in panic state and etc. Never happened but still my mind is telling me that it can happen! I am little bit tired of all those things. Still I can't accept sometimes my anxiety and let it go. Maybe someone have any tips? 

Also I want take Covid vaccine but I am afraid of interaction with Paroxetine and etc. I am 36 still in the queue but what should I do?

• 2 months later...

I am proud of myself now because I made 2 flights this month without panic attack (with a bit of healthy anxiety). Flight for me was no go or with load of Diazepam. Now I did it on 9mg Paroxetine and without Diazepam. I am happy and I hope I can manage my anxiety when I will be done with my tappering.

Btw on Sunday I got my Pfizer 1st covid vaccine. So far only one side effect was pain in my arm and mild pain in my back 3-4/10. I was very afraid that my anxiety and withdrawal symtoms will increase but so far all is good.

• 1 month later...

Question

Hello guys,

So in short my story I am off benzos for 1.5 years and I was on 2mg Valium long time before my withdrawal. Two days ago I got my second Pfizer vaccine and started to read one Internet about adverse affects and etc before dose and after it. Finally I got severe panic attack and I thought it's adverse effect from vaccine I called ambulance they came did ECG and etc. gave me injection I was very panicky only later asked why they gave injection and what it is? They told me it's benzodiazepine. Now I am going crazy I mean I am not in panic mode but what should I do now? Will I be now dependent on benzo's? Should I took now benzos and tapper again? I will get withdrawal symptoms now? I am so confused :(

Edited by Shep
added title after moving post from benzo forum

• Moderator Emeritus

@KalmarPlease note I moved your last post from the benzo forum to your intro/update thread so all you're information is in one place.

I would consider the benzodiazepine injection as a rescue dose and try to put it out of your mind. There's no need to go back on a benzo again and taper. Many people have had to take a benzo for surgery or dental work or many other reasons after coming off in the past. It's just a one-time dose. You'll be okay. 

Please work on your non-drug coping skills. This may help:

The Breathing Space by Jon Kabat Zinn video (4 minutes)

You may also want to learn about mindfulness in order to help you with your anxiety. Mindfulness isn't about sitting down and closing your eyes - it's about learning to not attach your thoughts to your bodily sensations. One of my favorite mindfulness gurus Mooji says, "Your thoughts are like visitors and you are NOT a hotel! Don't invite them in." (One of his videos I've returned to again and again is here - Nervousness, Anxiety & Fear ~ Spoken by Mooji).

When you attach your thoughts to your bodily sensations, they can easily lead you to an emotional spiral (see Dealing With Emotional Spirals). 

Dr. Claire Weekes comes highly recommended for helping people learn how to manage and cope with anxiety. 

Dr. Claire Weekes - How To Recover (part 1)

She has several videos in this series. 

And this is a great short video on acceptance without adding "second fear":

Dr. Claire Weekes: How to accept the physical symptoms of nervous illness video (1.5 minutes)

This is a great article on "second fear":

The Anxiety Monster Feeds on Second Fear

You can also learn to turn anxiety and nervousness into excitement, since the same physiology that creates fear is also involved in feeling excitement. It's about how you frame your narrative: 

Nervous vs. Excited video (2.5 minutes)

So instead of feeling anxiety over the vaccine (no matter what anxiety symptoms are in your body), try thinking about all of the things you'll be able to do in the world now that you've gotten your vaccine. 

45 minutes ago, Shep said:

@KalmarPlease note I moved your last post from the benzo forum to your intro/update thread so all you're information is in one place.

I would consider the benzodiazepine injection as a rescue dose and try to put it out of your mind. There's no need to go back on a benzo again and taper. Many people have had to take a benzo for surgery or dental work or many other reasons after coming off in the past. It's just a one-time dose. You'll be okay. 

Please work on your non-drug coping skills. This may help:

The Breathing Space by Jon Kabat Zinn video (4 minutes)

You may also want to learn about mindfulness in order to help you with your anxiety. Mindfulness isn't about sitting down and closing your eyes - it's about learning to not attach your thoughts to your bodily sensations. One of my favorite mindfulness gurus Mooji says, "Your thoughts are like visitors and you are NOT a hotel! Don't invite them in." (One of his videos I've returned to again and again is here - Nervousness, Anxiety & Fear ~ Spoken by Mooji).

When you attach your thoughts to your bodily sensations, they can easily lead you to an emotional spiral (see Dealing With Emotional Spirals). 

Dr. Claire Weekes comes highly recommended for helping people learn how to manage and cope with anxiety. 

Dr. Claire Weekes - How To Recover (part 1)

She has several videos in this series. 

And this is a great short video on acceptance without adding "second fear":

Dr. Claire Weekes: How to accept the physical symptoms of nervous illness video (1.5 minutes)

This is a great article on "second fear":

The Anxiety Monster Feeds on Second Fear

You can also learn to turn anxiety and nervousness into excitement, since the same physiology that creates fear is also involved in feeling excitement. It's about how you frame your narrative: 

Nervous vs. Excited video (2.5 minutes)

So instead of feeling anxiety over the vaccine (no matter what anxiety symptoms are in your body), try thinking about all of the things you'll be able to do in the world now that you've gotten your vaccine. 

Thank you Shep for all good words ❤️

Edited by Shep
moved kalmar's response outside of quotebox

Sorry to hear that the adverse effects for the vaccine. 

Don’t worry for the “rescue dose” of benzo, it will not harm you as The Ashton Manual said, take it easy 🤗

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

• 3 weeks later...

That awful feeling that right as you begin to fall asleep, you feel as though you forget to breathe. It’s like your brain forgets to tell your diaphragm to contract, then you get a suffocating or chest/collapsing or sinking feeling/reaction and jerk yourself awake with the awareness that you forgot to breathe. It is awful and it is scary and it leaves you in a panic because you wonder what’s wrong with you, if you’re dying, and you begin to fear the otherwise normal act of drifting off to sleep, which can then lead to a pattern of insomnia as it did with me. The second sensation is a similar variation of the first. This is where you start to drift off to sleep, and instead of catching yourself forgetting to breathe, instead you get a surge of adrenaline that shoots through your abdomen and chest area that feels almost like an electric shock. It’s like your heart or lungs get zapped with a surge and like the first sensation, it jerks you out of the sleep cycle and sends you into a panic. You get to a point that you literally want to cry because you’re so exhausted and you cant figure out why your body seems to have forgotten how to sleep, and how to give you the one gift of peace (a good night’s sleep) that you want so badly to experience.

Anyone with the similar experience? I have it since beginning of my tapering. I had it on 20mg once-twice a week now I have it every night. It's so annoying can't get enough rest only in a weekend. Then If i jumping up at least I can sleep until 10-12.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, other members have mentioned that a similar thing happens to them.  You might find playing soft music helps.  See:

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Other helpful information and links (in Post #1) in this topic:

tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia

And check out this topic:

shortness-of-breath-and-other-breathing-issues

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone knows what is SSRI "poop-out" what are symptoms of it? Sometimes I have more anxiety sometimes almost none it's because of "poop-out? I am so long on SSRI and a bit afraid that I will have poop-out. I don't have panic attacks just anxiety some nights jumping from bed with small panic attacks for 1 minute max. Strange and that's why I am afraid to taper down. What if I will get full blow panic attack during my tapering? What if I lose my job of it? All dose questions I feel ready to taper again but I am so afraid... How to find courage to do it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kalmar,

Poop out, also know as tachyphylaxis, generally shows of us withdrawal symptoms.  But it is not like the withdrawal symptoms which happen suddenly after you make a reduction.  The symptoms of poop out usually develop slowly over a long period of time.

Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance or as It's Lovingly Known “Poop-Out”

tolerance-or-poop-out-or-tachyphylaxis

You might be experiencing cortisol spikes which can sometimes happen at other times, not just in the early morning:

early-morning-waking-managing-the-morning-cortisol-spike

32 minutes ago, Kalmar said:

All dose questions I feel ready to taper again but I am so afraid... How to find courage to do it?

If you are feeling scared to start tapering you could always start with a small reduction. Instead of doing a 10% or 5% reduction you could do a 2.5% reduction or even less.  If that goes okay, then you could try a little bit bigger reduction the next time or you could make the same reduction.  That way you will not be so worried about it.

Even though it might seem like very small amounts, it is still heading in the direction of you getting off the drug.  It's better to go slowly and steadily than to go too fast.

Have you seen the BrassMonkey Slide taper?  You can choose what amount to taper.  You reduce over 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks.  Please see this topic:

the-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

On 9/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, ChessieCat said:

Hi Kalmar,

Poop out, also know as tachyphylaxis, generally shows of us withdrawal symptoms.  But it is not like the withdrawal symptoms which happen suddenly after you make a reduction.  The symptoms of poop out usually develop slowly over a long period of time.

You might be experiencing cortisol spikes which can sometimes happen at other times, not just in the early morning:

If you are feeling scared to start tapering you could always start with a small reduction. Instead of doing a 10% or 5% reduction you could do a 2.5% reduction or even less.  If that goes okay, then you could try a little bit bigger reduction the next time or you could make the same reduction.  That way you will not be so worried about it.

Even though it might seem like very small amounts, it is still heading in the direction of you getting off the drug.  It's better to go slowly and steadily than to go too fast.

Have you seen the BrassMonkey Slide taper?  You can choose what amount to taper.  You reduce over 6 weeks instead of 4 weeks.  Please see this topic:

Thanks!

I will try 2.5%. I think it's less scary then 10% tapering. I will inform how it's going on.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, ChessieCat said:

Hi Kalmar,

I have checked a lot of information about "poop-out" it seems happening more with depression. Luckily I don't have depression and with anxiety and panic attacks it's rare. I think it's just spikes of my anxiety. If I am good and getting one skipped hearth beat I have them sometimes one or two per day sometime zero for month.  Immediately thoughts about death and hearth attack are coming and all of that's causing my anxiety. I think everything is in my head :)

• 2 months later...

Today I don't feel well. Physically I am okay but mentaly not. What if my brain can't recover from long term SSRI use? Tapering is so damn hard.

• Mentor
53 minutes ago, Kalmar said:

Today I don't feel well. Physically I am okay but mentaly not. What if my brain can't recover from long term SSRI use? Tapering is so damn hard.

You can! It sure is, but it will be worth it. You got this! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:01 PM, Cocopuffz17 said:

You can! It sure is, but it will be worth it. You got this! 

Thank you for your support! ❤️ We should keep going!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/8/2021 at 1:07 AM, Kalmar said:

What if my brain can't recover from long term SSRI use?

I've just successfully got off my Pristiq after taking an antidepressant continuously since about 1992.